|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is John Hammond?
2. What kind of dinosaurs kills John Hammond?
3. When Nedry gets out of the Jeep to determine where on the island he actually is, Nedry runs into a dinosaur. What does the dinosaur do to Nedry?
4. When Grant is able to talk to Ellie on the radio after Grant and the children reach the lobby of the tourist center, what bad news does Ellie tell Grant?
5. What startles John Hammond as he walks through the compound musing about his next venture?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Tim and Lex survive their encounter with the raptor in the lodge?
2. While dining with Dr. Wu as the storm rages on the island, what fear does John Hammond admit to?
3. Why does finding the broken watch in the crumpled Land Cruiser give Muldoon hope that at least one of the children is still alive?
4. As John Hammond was lying in the creek that he had fallen into after being startled during his walk in the compound, what did he realize about his grandchildren?
5. As Grant and the children are floating down the river, they come to the aviary and notice that it is not yet finished. Why do they decide to stop in the aviary anyway?
6. After a system reset, why do all of the individual modules have to be brought online manually?
7. When Grant finds Gennaro in the truck at the generator's maintenance building, Gennaro is relieved to see him and relieved that the compys that had been surrounding the truck left when Grant approached. Grant is not surprised the compys didn't attack Gennaro. Why?
8. Describe why Arnold is somewhat impressed by the code that Nedry had programmed in to the computer system to disable the system while Nedry stole the embryos.
9. Since paleontologists had been digging up bones for years, what did Grant realize that he had forgotten as he was standing on the beach watching the raptors?
10. The conversation that Grant has with his visitor at the pool in San Juan finally reveals why the Hammond Foundation only supported archeological digs in northern climates. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the early parts of the story, there are many incorrect theories about the identity of the lizard that attacked Tina Bowman. Describe two of these incorrect theories and discuss how a proper identification at this early stage might have impacted the story and saved people's lives on Hammond's island. Would a correct identification of the lizard have made a difference at all? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
John Hammond and Ian Malcolm meet two times in the story. Describe the situation surrounding each of these meetings. Then, examine how the first meeting impacted the second meeting.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the illusion of control that the park's staff has on the island. Use examples from the book to show why the staff feels they are in control. Then, use a different example from the book to show how the staff is truly not in control. How is the illusion of control beneficial, if at all? How is the illusion of control detrimental, if at all? Support all of your answers with examples.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)