|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the group waits for help to reach the island, what do Grant and Muldoon decide it is their duty to do?
2. As Ellie is in her room about to change out of her wet clothes, Muldoon knocks on her door. What does Muldoon tell Ellie?
3. Which of the original staff members had already left the island by the time the helicopter landed on the beach?
4. From the damage to one section of the park's fencing, where does the park staff realize the tyrannosaurus has gone?
5. When Tim regains consciousness after the electric car he was riding in was attacked by the Tyrannosaurus rex, where is he?
Short Essay Questions
1. While dining with Dr. Wu as the storm rages on the island, what fear does John Hammond admit to?
2. Describe why Arnold is somewhat impressed by the code that Nedry had programmed in to the computer system to disable the system while Nedry stole the embryos.
3. While hiding from the Tyrannosaurus rex after fleeing the electric car, Ed Regis is visibly upset and feeling very guilty. Why does Ed feel guilty?
4. Why does Ellie hope that Grant and the children are together in the park?
5. Why does the mention of Malcolm's name convince Arnold to shut down and reboot the entire computer system?
6. When Grant finds Gennaro in the truck at the generator's maintenance building, Gennaro is relieved to see him and relieved that the compys that had been surrounding the truck left when Grant approached. Grant is not surprised the compys didn't attack Gennaro. Why?
7. Explain why the computer only accounted for 238 dinosaurs on the island when there were, as proven through Malcolm's testing, more than 238 dinosaurs on the island.
8. Why was Nedry upset by the storm as he fled the compound and headed to the east dock?
9. As Hammond wanders through the compound after leaving Malcolm's bedside, what does he plan to do with the next phase of his life?
10. When the sensors finally come back online, they do not locate Grant and Hammond's grandchildren. Why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The arrival of helicopters in the story signal significant plot developments.
a. Identify the four times that helicopters are used in the story.
b. Describe the situation surrounding the helicopter's arrival as well as who is on the helicopter.
c. Examine how the plot develops with each helicopter's arrival. Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
John Hammond and Ian Malcolm meet two times in the story. Describe the situation surrounding each of these meetings. Then, examine how the first meeting impacted the second meeting.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the group of people trying to regain control of the island with the group of raptors on the island. Compare these two groups in terms of overall number, intelligence, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Did the group of people actually outsmart the raptors? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)