|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of creatures are housed in the aviary?
2. After going over the falls, Grant and Tim meet each other downstream. As the T-rex lifts its head from the surging pool, what is in the T-rex's mouth?
3. When Nedry gets out of the Jeep to determine where on the island he actually is, Nedry runs into a dinosaur. What does the dinosaur do to Nedry?
4. As a result of being startled during his walk in the compound, what happens to John Hammond when he runs away?
5. As the raptors are standing on the beach, which of the raptors are standing at the outside of the formation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the computer only accounted for 238 dinosaurs on the island when there were, as proven through Malcolm's testing, more than 238 dinosaurs on the island.
2. Based on his prior experience in Africa, what does Muldoon expect to see as a result of the Tyrannosaurus rex's attack on the electric cars?
3. Describe why Arnold is somewhat impressed by the code that Nedry had programmed in to the computer system to disable the system while Nedry stole the embryos.
4. After discovering the missing embryos, Dr. Wu runs a search and discovers something about the frog DNA that Dr. Grant had referred to. What did Wu discover?
5. When Arnold finally spots the T-rex and radios the dinosaur's position to Muldoon and Gennaro, why does Muldoon become irritated with Arnold?
6. Describe the role that an animal's temperament plays in how tranquilizers affect the beast, as alluded to by Muldoon when he and Gennaro were about to attempt to tranquilize the T-rex.
7. The conversation that Grant has with his visitor at the pool in San Juan finally reveals why the Hammond Foundation only supported archeological digs in northern climates. Why?
8. While hiding from the Tyrannosaurus rex after fleeing the electric car, Ed Regis is visibly upset and feeling very guilty. Why does Ed feel guilty?
9. Why was Nedry upset by the storm as he fled the compound and headed to the east dock?
10. How does Dr. Grant gain access to the secure areas of the visitor center once the power has been restored and all of the security doors are again locked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dennis Nedry wears different masks in the story. Both a great computer programmer and the mastermind behind the theft of the frozen embryos, Nedry is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of Nedry. How would his master plan for the theft have been affected had he not employed his expert computer programmer identity? Why is it necessary for Nedry to wear different masks?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Alan Grant with Donald Gennaro.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Both of these characters ultimately survive the ordeal on the Costa Rican island. Was each character's survival a result of their own doing or a result of dumb luck? Support your reasoning.
d. Looking forward, how might this ordeal have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Donald Gennaro, John Arnold, Ed Regis, and Dennis Nedry.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)