|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Dr. Guitierrez retrieves the carcass of the lizard on the beach, where does he decide to send the carcass for testing?
2. What is the name of Gennaro's wife?
3. What type of baby dinosaur does the tour group meet when they enter the nursery?
4. What is the name of the midwife who finds the gruesome body of a newborn baby attacked by lizards in Costa Rica?
5. How many lizards were involved in the gruesome attack on the newborn baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Sattler, Grant, and the veterinarian are trying to figure out why their dinosaur is sick, Malcolm shares with Gennaro his theory of life. What does Malcolm believe and believes is confirmed through chaos theory?
2. Describe the reasons why the Environmental Protection Agency is suspicious of the Hammond Foundation in respect to amber?
3. According to Arnold, why is Jurassic Park the most ambitious theme park in history?
4. Tina's parents had a hard time dismissing Dr. Guitierrez's conclusions because his description of the basilisk lizard didn't match with what Tina said she observed. What happens in the hospital as Tina is preparing to leave to prove just how observant she actually is?
5. Why was Dr. Grant concerned about protecting the partially exposed fossil before he departed for Costa Rica?
6. Even though the research doctor declared that Tina was attacked by a basilisk lizard, why does he continue to search for answers by returning to the beach where the attack took place?
7. Why does Dr. Wu have the utmost confidence in his paleo-DNA?
8. Explain why paleontologists debate whether dinosaurs were cold-blooded or warm-blooded animals.
9. What view does Muldoon hold that often puts him at odds with the Jurassic Park owners?
10. Describe the "little" Tyrannosaurus rex that is in the T-Rex enclosure.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the heart of the story is the discovery of dinosaur DNA. Without this discovery, Hammond's island never would have been created.
a. Discuss the process used by the scientists to initially harvest the DNA. How realistic is the science described in the story?
b. Frog DNA is also a critical element in the development of several of the dinosaur types. Why was frog DNA used by the scientists? What was the intended purpose of using frog DNA? What was the actual result? Did the frog DNA works as the scientists expected it to work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the illusion of control that the park's staff has on the island. Use examples from the book to show why the staff feels they are in control. Then, use a different example from the book to show how the staff is truly not in control. How is the illusion of control beneficial, if at all? How is the illusion of control detrimental, if at all? Support all of your answers with examples.
Essay Topic 3
Identify four of the members of the group invited by Hammond to preview Jurassic Park. Then, compare and contrast the backgrounds, experiences, and opinions of the four group members you identified. Was each member of the group necessary in order for Hammond's island to pass inspection? Why or why not? Was any member of the group expendable? Why or why not?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)