|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Hammond and Wu listen to the negative comments from the tour participants, who does Hammond blame for all of the negativity?
2. At the raptor pen, Grant, Sattler, Malcolm, and the kids see only one raptor at first. What is the one raptor doing?
3. As the tour progresses, what glitch does Arnold see with the electric vehicles?
4. What two colors comprise the entire wardrobe of Ian Malcolm?
5. What is the name of the family on vacation in the jungles of Costa Rica?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the board members at InGen's corporate rival engage in a corporate espionage plot?
2. Identify three glitches that Nedry still has to fix in the computer system.
3. According to Dr. Wu, why did the scientists create so many procompsognathus?
4. What about the graph of the procompsognathida population worries Malcolm?
5. What is the final reminder to Gennaro from his boss regarding the purpose of Gennaro's trip to Costa Rica? Why does this reminder make Gennaro uncomfortable?
6. Explain why paleontologists debate whether dinosaurs were cold-blooded or warm-blooded animals.
7. Why does Dr. Wu have the utmost confidence in his paleo-DNA?
8. What comprised the bulk of the work undertaken by the Tropical Diseases Laboratory?
9. Why was Gennaro not happy to have to make the trip to Hammond's island?
10. When the group reassembles in the visitor building in order to begin their tour, Malcolm upsets Hammond. What does Malcolm do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they impact the story's plot as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what impact would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the group of people trying to regain control of the island with the group of raptors on the island. Compare these two groups in terms of overall number, intelligence, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Did the group of people actually outsmart the raptors? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ian Malcolm and John Hammond.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that chaos theory plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by this theory, both positively and negatively?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)