|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bill hire in this segment?
2. Who stops Bill from killing the answer to #149?
3. With whom does Bill partner at the beginning of this segment?
4. What does Bill say he has visions of in this chapter?
5. What is the name of the second doctor Ike fetches?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what does this final section of the novel consist?
2. Of what do appendices 4, 5, 6 and 7 consist?
3. What does Bill say happens to time when using morphine?
4. Describe Bill's time with the young drug users.
5. In what way do the police treat Bill badly?
6. How is drink affecting Bill in a bad way in Segment 10?
7. What does Bill do after he is released from prison?
8. Why do Pat and Bill decide to stop selling drugs?
9. Describe the drug trade in Mexico.
10. What are Bill's relationship with drugs in Segment 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of 1930's America.
1) Why was morality such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the thirties? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with Thirties America?
Essay Topic 2
Why do the students think Burroughs refrains from giving the narrator's wife a real name? What does it say about their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Burroughs' dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)