|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Bill equate giving up junk?
2. Which city does Bill arrive in at the beginning of this chapter?
3. Bill think he is dying of ______________.
4. Which two people take the answer to #153 away from Bill?
5. What does Lupita control?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is yage?
2. Summarize the novel.
3. How does Old Ike help Bill in this segment?
4. What does Bill do after he is released from prison?
5. Describe Bill's time in Texas in Section 8.
6. How does the government help Bill and Old Ike continue their habits?
7. How is drink affecting Bill in a bad way in Segment 10?
8. Of what does this final section of the novel consist?
9. In what way do the police treat Bill badly?
10. Why do Pat and Bill decide to stop selling drugs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of 1930's America.
1) Why was morality such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the thirties? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with Thirties America?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Burroughs' writing style. How would you describe Burroughs' prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Burroughs' style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Burroughs has many homosexual encounters.
1) How was homosexuality viewed in the 1930's?
2) How does Burroughs' sexual orientation affect his life? Does it have any bearing on his drug addiction?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)