|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Old Ike complain about in this chapter?
2. What do the police think Bill is involved in selling?
3. Why do Bill and Pat decide to stop selling?
4. Why does Bill not argue with the police?
5. Which two characters help Bill to quit drugs?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way do the police treat Bill badly?
2. Describe Bill's arrest.
3. What is Bill's situation by the end of this segment?
4. How does Old Ike help Bill in this segment?
5. What information does Gains bring about Bill's old acquaintances?
6. What does Bill say happens to time when using morphine?
7. How is drink affecting Bill in a bad way in Segment 10?
8. Of what do appendices 4, 5, 6 and 7 consist?
9. Describe Bill's time in Texas in Section 8.
10. What does Bill discuss with the police in the interview in section 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Burroughs' writing style. How would you describe Burroughs' prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Burroughs' style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Junky is written in the first person with Bill Lee as narrator. Why do you think Burroughs chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
The Junky is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by Junky and discuss their similarities in terms of
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)