|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Bill partner at the beginning of this segment?
2. What does Bill read about in the text from the manuscript?
3. Of what does Bill complain that his apartment smells?
4. Where does Bill live in Texas?
5. Which two characters help Bill to quit drugs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Gains bring about Bill's old acquaintances?
2. Describe Bill's time in Texas in Section 8.
3. Why do Pat and Bill decide to stop selling drugs?
4. What does Bill say happens to time when using morphine?
5. What is Bill's situation by the end of this segment?
6. How does Old Ike help Bill in this segment?
7. In what way do the police treat Bill badly?
8. How is drink affecting Bill in a bad way in Segment 10?
9. Describe Bill's time with the young drug users.
10. Of what do appendices 4, 5, 6 and 7 consist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of 1930's America.
1) Why was morality such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the thirties? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with Thirties America?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Burroughs has many homosexual encounters.
1) How was homosexuality viewed in the 1930's?
2) How does Burroughs' sexual orientation affect his life? Does it have any bearing on his drug addiction?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Burroughs use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)