|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what did Lupita try to use drugs?
2. To what does Bill equate giving up junk?
3. For what kind of drug do Bill and Old Ike ask the doctors to write prescriptions?
4. Why does Bill go to Mexico?
5. Who do the police threaten to incarcerate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill say happens to time when using morphine?
2. Describe the drug trade in Mexico.
3. How is drink affecting Bill in a bad way in Segment 10?
4. Why does Bill decide to flee to Mexico?
5. How does the government help Bill and Old Ike continue their habits?
6. What is the purpose of what seems an irrelevant segment?
7. What is Bill's wife's main complaint about his habit?
8. Summarize the novel.
9. Why do Pat and Bill decide to stop selling drugs?
10. What does Bill do after he is released from prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Burroughs' writing style. How would you describe Burroughs' prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Burroughs' style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set in New York, New Orleans, Texas and Mexico.
1) What meaning does each setting bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in these locations?
2) How different do you think the cities are today to the cities and states in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in contemporary society?
3) How do you think settings of the novel contribute the drug theme?
Essay Topic 3
The Junky is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by Junky and discuss their similarities in terms of
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)