|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters help Bill to quit drugs?
2. Bill think he is dying of ______________.
3. What does Burroughs present in Appendix 2?
4. What does Bill begin searching for the moment he arrives in Mexico City?
5. What state does Bill travel to in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Old Ike help Bill in this segment?
2. How does the government help Bill and Old Ike continue their habits?
3. What are Bill's relationship with drugs in Segment 11?
4. Of what does Appendix 3 consist?
5. Describe the drug trade in Mexico.
6. Describe Bill's time with the young drug users.
7. How is drink affecting Bill in a bad way in Segment 10?
8. Describe Bill's time in Texas in Section 8.
9. What is yage?
10. What is Bill's situation by the end of this segment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Burroughs use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Burroughs uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Does his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect his/her interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Burroughs' dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)