|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Bill pay for his habit?
2. What does Bill refer to doctors as?
3. About what do Mary and Bill initially talk?
4. What does Lee start dealing to Roy?
5. Which of the following is not an example of a heroin dealer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bill turn to petty crime?
2. Why does Gains not care about their dealer shortselling them?
3. How was Bill able to travel around Europe?
4. How does Bill meet Mary?
5. How do Lee and Roy become increasingly friendly in the opening ten pages?
6. What did Bill do when he came back from Europe?
7. What is Bill's opinion on marijuana?
8. How does Bill change his life at the beginning of page 34?
9. How do Bill and Roy get enough money to continue their habits?
10. What does Roy say to Lee at Lee's apartment in the opening ten pages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Burroughs use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Burroughs uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why do the students think Burroughs refrains from giving the narrator's wife a real name? What does it say about their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound affect on Burroughs' life and how did they change him? What does Buroughs still have to learn by the end of the book?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)