|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of drug do Bill and Pat buy?
2. What put Bill off homosexual artists?
3. What is difficult to do when selling marijuana?
4. Where is Bill being watched by agents?
5. What is in the boxes Norton gives to Bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill's life become like while he is on junk?
2. Why did Bill turn to petty crime?
3. How did Bill escape from the army?
4. How does Bill meet Mary?
5. What does Bill state are the problems with marijuana dealing?
6. How does Bill try to reduce his heroin habit?
7. Why does Gains not care about their dealer shortselling them?
8. How do Bill and Roy get enough money to continue their habits?
9. Describe Bill's early life.
10. How do Lee and Roy become increasingly friendly in the opening ten pages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Junky is said to be based on Burroughs' own experiences. Examine Burroughs' life and compare it the events that take place in Junky.
1) Why is the book not looked upon as strictly non-fiction?
2) What events in the novel do you think are purely fiction? Why does Burroughs fictionalize these parts in particular?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Does his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect his/her interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Write a 500-word essay either in support or against the following statement: Junky romanticizes drug abuse.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)