|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what do the two Bills cut their junk?
2. What did Bill hate about the army?
3. As what does Lee describe his family?
4. What does Lee start dealing to Roy?
5. In what war was Bill involved?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight that occurs in the opening ten pages.
2. What kind of relationship do Bill and Pat develop in the sixth section?
3. Who is Jack?
4. How does Bill change his life at the beginning of page 34?
5. How was Bill able to travel around Europe?
6. Why did Bill turn to petty crime?
7. What is Bill's opinion of heroin dealers?
8. Describe the character of Nick.
9. What does Bill Gains and Bill do with the junk when they purchase it?
10. What does Norton give Bill in the opening pages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Burroughs' writing style. How would you describe Burroughs' prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Burroughs' style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set in New York, New Orleans, Texas and Mexico.
1) What meaning does each setting bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in these locations?
2) How different do you think the cities are today to the cities and states in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in contemporary society?
3) How do you think settings of the novel contribute the drug theme?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)