|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bill kicked out of his hotel?
2. Who does Bill start buying drugs from in this chapter?
3. What did Bill show an interest towards in high school?
4. Mary tell Bill how to to be successful at _____________.
5. Into what do the two Bills put their morphine?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is homosexuality a major theme in the novel?
2. Why did Bill turn to petty crime?
3. Describe Bill's early life.
4. How do things change when Hermann is arrested?
5. How was Bill able to travel around Europe?
6. Describe the disturbance Doolie creates in the fifth section.
7. What happens to all the characters mentions in the first 20 pages?
8. What does Bill's life become like while he is on junk?
9. How do Bill and Roy get enough money to continue their habits?
10. Why does Gains not care about their dealer shortselling them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the students think Burroughs refrains from giving the narrator's wife a real name? What does it say about their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set in New York, New Orleans, Texas and Mexico.
1) What meaning does each setting bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in these locations?
2) How different do you think the cities are today to the cities and states in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in contemporary society?
3) How do you think settings of the novel contribute the drug theme?
Essay Topic 3
Write a 500-word essay either in support or against the following statement: Junky romanticizes drug abuse.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)