Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Does his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect his/her interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1930's America.
1) Why was morality such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the thirties? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with Thirties America?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Burroughs use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution...
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)