|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is apprehensive about the elephant dance?
2. What does the White Seal do in the folktale that the old seals speak of?
3. Who is Chuchundra?
4. How do the elephants dance?
5. Little Toomai does not want to go home while waiting for the elephant dance, even though he is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Kala Nag.
2. Explain the purpose of the elephant dance.
3. Describe Petersen's character.
4. How is Kipling's theme of animals being more innocent than humans resurface in Chapter Four?
5. In what ways is Kotick more mature than the other seals his age?
6. Explain why is Darzee singing a mournful song at the end of Chapter Five?
7. Why do you think the mother is at first alarmed when she sees Rikki snuggling up to Teddy?
8. What do you think Sea Catch's scars from fighting for his land for his children represent?
9. Describe the relationship between Nag and Nagaina. Who is more practical and how?
10. Why do you think Little Toomai is surprised to see Petersen's elephant at the dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Mowgli's wolf family differ from the Pack Council? How do they help/hurt him? Be sure to give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Overall, what is your opinion of The Jungle Book? Do you recommend this book to friends? What do you like about it? What do you dislike?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the elephant dance and its meaning. When does it happen? Why? Who gets to see it and why?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)