|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Chapter Five named after?
2. Who praises Rikki for saving Teddy?
3. Who is Chuchundra?
4. Who is the first character Kotick sees after he finds the new country and arrives back at Novastoshnah?
5. When the elephants dance, it is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though Kotick is doing something for the good of others when he is searching, how do the rest of the seals view him?
2. How does the theme of the importance of animals show up when Rikki overhears Nag and his wife?
3. Explain the differences between Little Toomai and Big Toomai.
4. How do the other seals view Kotick in the beginning of Chapter Four and how does that change in the end of Chapter Four?
5. How is the danger of the cobras foreshadowed early on in Chapter Five?
6. In what ways are Kotick's mom and the girl seal impressed with him at the end of the Chapter Four?
7. How do the lives of the native elephant workers differ from those British men in Chapter Six?
8. Describe how Kotick's white coat works to his advantage.
9. Describe how Rikki feels about the father and mother.
10. What does it mean that Rikki saves Teddy from the first snake before his father can?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the racism in Chapter seven to references or themes in the rest of the book. What is different about this chapter? Be sure to give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the wives and husbands (animal and human) in Chapter five. How are animals wives portrayed, compared to their husbands? How is the human wife portrayed, compared to her husband? What is Kipling saying with this?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Shere Khan as an antagonist.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)