|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bagheera help Mowgli?
2. Who does Mowgli say a special goodbye to before leaving?
3. Who tells Mowgli that the pack turns against him?
4. After he arrives at the human village for the first time, where does Mowgli insist on sleeping at bedtime?
5. Who tells Mowgli to save Akela?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the mother wolf approach the situation with the man-cub?
2. How does Mowgli stand up for himself when the pack turns against him?
3. Is the jackal respected by the other jungle creatures? Why or why not?
4. Explain what Mowgli does not accomplish in Chapter Three if it isn't for his friends.
5. Why do you think Kaa turns against the others at the end of Chapter Two?
6. Describe why the monkey people are not respected in the jungle.
7. Describe the fall of Akela's character in Chapter One.
8. Describe Gray Brother's demeanor and the reasons for it when he comes to bring Mowgli news in Chapter Three.
9. How does Mowgli's ignorance of religion hurt his chances with the villagers?
10. What do you think Kaa's hypnotizing near the end of Chapter Two means?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the racism in Chapter seven to references or themes in the rest of the book. What is different about this chapter? Be sure to give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the monkey people and Kaa. How are they the same? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the theme of friendship and what it means, focusing on Chapter two. Give examples of its value to Mowgli.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)