|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Cold Lairs?
2. How long is Mowgli waiting in the human village in Chapter Three before he learns that Shere Khan returns?
3. What doesn't Mowgli understand about the villagers?
4. Who is nice to Mowgli when Baloo punishes him?
5. Who finds the man-cub?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the dare with the villagers in Chapter Three ultimately help Mowgli?
2. What do you think Kaa's hypnotizing near the end of Chapter Two means?
3. How does Mowgli use his difference from the wolf pack as a strength against the wolf pack in Chapter One?
4. Describe how Mowgli is appalled by the villagers.
5. Describe the fall of Akela's character in Chapter One.
6. Deep down inside, what do you think Mowgli considers himself, a man or a wolf?
7. What does it tell you about Mowgli's character in the way that he treats others at the end of Chapter One?
8. How does the mother wolf approach the situation with the man-cub?
9. Is the jackal respected by the other jungle creatures? Why or why not?
10. Even though they are his friends, why do Baloo and Bagheera slap and hit Mowgli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the wolf pack's mistrust of Mowgli and the loyalty of Mowgli's friends, Baloo and Bagheera.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the racism in Chapter seven to references or themes in the rest of the book. What is different about this chapter? Be sure to give specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
How does Kipling illustrate the carelessness of youth in Chapter two? In what ways does Mowgli's behavior exhibit that?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)