|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mowgli overhears the men talking about the jungle creatures, what does he do?
2. What doesn't Mowgli understand about the villagers?
3. When does Mowgli leave the jungle?
4. Who ends Chapter Two riding on Bagheera's back?
5. At the beginning of Chapter Three, the villagers stare at Mowgli's_______.
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are Baloo and Bagheera good friends to Mowgli?
2. What is the symbolism of Mowgli caught in a trap at the end of Chapter Two?
3. Describe the role of Chil the Kite and Mang the Bat in Chapter Two? What does this mean?
4. How is the wolf pack easily influenced?
5. What do you think Kaa's hypnotizing near the end of Chapter Two means?
6. Describe how Mowgli is appalled by the villagers.
7. Is the jackal respected by the other jungle creatures? Why or why not?
8. Deep down inside, what do you think Mowgli considers himself, a man or a wolf?
9. How does Mowgli's ignorance of religion hurt his chances with the villagers?
10. In what ways is Mowgli's behavior that of a young boy in Chapter Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used by Kipling throughout The Jungle Book. Give three examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to tell events yet to come.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the monkey people and Kaa. How are they the same? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the wives and husbands (animal and human) in Chapter five. How are animals wives portrayed, compared to their husbands? How is the human wife portrayed, compared to her husband? What is Kipling saying with this?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)