|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Mowgli waiting in the human village in Chapter Three before he learns that Shere Khan returns?
2. Why does the priest suggest the woman take Mowgli into her home?
3. How many years pass before we see Mowgli again after the first Pack Council meeting?
4. In Chapter Three, who still intends to kill Mowgli, after first announcing this intention in Chapter One?
5. At the end of Chapter Three, who does Mowgli belong with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fall of Akela's character in Chapter One.
2. Explain the Law of the Jungle.
3. What is the symbolism of Mowgli caught in a trap at the end of Chapter Two?
4. How does Mowgli stand up for himself when the pack turns against him?
5. When the cattle go crazy in Chapter Three, what is Mowgli trying to do and what happens as a result?
6. Describe the role of Chil the Kite and Mang the Bat in Chapter Two? What does this mean?
7. Is the jackal respected by the other jungle creatures? Why or why not?
8. Deep down inside, what do you think Mowgli considers himself, a man or a wolf?
9. Explain what Mowgli does not accomplish in Chapter Three if it isn't for his friends.
10. What is the final reason Mowgli is cast out of the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Mowgli's wolf family differ from the Pack Council? How do they help/hurt him? Be sure to give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used by Kipling throughout The Jungle Book. Give three examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to tell events yet to come.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what you know about British India during the era Kipling writes The Jungle Book. Be sure to explain what you learn with different examples of symbolism and themes.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)