|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Kala Nag especially look out for?
(b) Little Toomai.
(d) Big Toomai.
2. What does the name Kala Nag mean?
(c) Black snake.
3. Who never comes to the lovely beach Kotick finds?
(a) Other seal families.
(d) Young male seals.
4. How old is Kala Nag?
5. What is the name of the big black cobra that is responsible for the tailorbirds distress?
Short Answer Questions
1. Kotick is disturbed by the sight of what at the beginning of Chapter Four?
2. How long does the elephant performance last?
3. How many miles does Kotick travel in one day looking for the Sea Cow?
4. Who praises Rikki for saving Teddy?
5. When does Petersen mean when he tells Little Toomai "When you have seen the elephants dance"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the danger of the cobras foreshadowed early on in Chapter Five?
2. Why do you think Little Toomai is surprised to see Petersen's elephant at the dance?
3. Explain the differences between Little Toomai and Big Toomai.
4. How do the lives of the native elephant workers differ from those British men in Chapter Six?
5. How is Kipling's theme of animals being more innocent than humans resurface in Chapter Four?
6. What does it mean that Rikki saves Teddy from the first snake before his father can?
7. Explain why is Darzee singing a mournful song at the end of Chapter Five?
8. In what ways are Kotick's mom and the girl seal impressed with him at the end of the Chapter Four?
9. What do you think Sea Catch's scars from fighting for his land for his children represent?
10. Even though Kotick is doing something for the good of others when he is searching, how do the rest of the seals view him?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)