|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Little Toomai prepare for a possible elephant dance?
(a) Goes to bed early.
(b) Does not give Kala Nag dinner.
(c) Leaves elephants chained up.
(d) Beats a fast rhythm on a small drum.
2. What doesn't Kotick know about the Sea Cow?
(a) They aren't alive anymore.
(b) They can't see.
(c) They can't swim.
(d) They can't talk.
3. Who teaches Kotick the ways of the sea?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
4. Where does Nagaina hide her eggs?
(a) The melon patch.
(b) In the grass.
(c) The flower garden.
(d) In the tree.
5. Why does Rikki tell Darzee to pretend he is injured?
(a) To scare Chuchundra.
(b) To fool his wife.
(c) To fool Teddy's father.
(d) To lure Nagaina.
6. What does the White Seal do in the folktale that the old seals speak of?
(a) Kill the hunters.
(b) Be the strongest hunter.
(c) Have many babies.
(d) Save the seals.
7. Who is Chuchundra?
(a) A muskrat.
(b) Another tailorbird.
(c) Another snake.
(d) Another mongoose.
8. Who is Sea Catch?
(a) A hawk.
(b) An old seal.
(c) A fish.
(d) An old fisherman.
9. Who is Darzee?
(a) The tailorbird's wife.
(b) A tailorbird.
(c) The little boy.
(d) A little girl.
10. What is the age of Sea Catch?
(a) Thirty five.
(c) Twenty five.
11. Who is charmed by Little Toomai?
(a) Big Toomai.
(c) Kala Nag.
12. Kotick is disturbed by the sight of what at the beginning of Chapter Four?
(a) The girl seals.
(b) Other seal families arriving at Novastoshnah for the summer.
(c) The clubbing and skinning of his friends.
13. How long does the elephant performance last?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two hours.
(c) The entire night.
(d) Two minutes.
14. Who also joins Kala Nag at the ballroom for the elephant dance?
(a) Big Toomai.
(c) The grasshopper.
15. Who is the first character Kotick sees after he finds the new country and arrives back at Novastoshnah?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) The little girl seal.
(d) Kerick Botterin and his son, Patalamon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests Kotick talk to Sea Vitch?
2. What is the name of Sea Catch's wife?
3. Who is Sea Vitch?
4. Who is Chapter Five named after?
5. Who grows up to be the namesake for Chapter Four?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)