|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After visiting the circus, where does Bliss start going to see movies?
2. What kind of beer does Charlie drink?
3. Where does Bliss try to fall asleep the second time at Sister Georgia's house?
4. What does the senator feel on his face as he falls into his last series of hallucinations before he dies?
5. What does Hickman's unexpected female visitor give Hickman permission to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 different ways and instances in which Biblical allusions are used in the text. What do they contribute to the novel and to the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe three literary devices Ellison uses in the scene where Bliss's mother comes to Hickman's house to give birth. Be sure to use specific quotations from the novel as examples of each literary device.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the reader never learn much about the senator's assassin? Discuss at least 3 reasons why this is true and what effect it has on the reader.
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)