|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bliss know when to rise from the coffin during the large Juneteenth revival?
2. What does Bliss find himself torn between after the large Juneteenth revival is interrupted?
3. Which character does Senator Sunraider ask for from the hospital?
4. When he sees Hickman by his bedside, what does the senator want from him?
5. Who is Laly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What analogies does Reverend Hickman use to explain the two extremes of the nature of men as Senator Sunraider lay dying in his hospital bed?
2. What does Hickman think to himself about being given Bliss?
3. What does Senator Sunraider see after he has been shot?
4. After he is shot, what does Senator Sunraider vaguely see by his bedside?
5. What does Bliss's obsession with the image of the movie actress symbolize?
6. How does SIster Bearmasher get physical control of the woman who interrupts the Juneteenth revival service?
7. Why does Bliss think his teddy bear is so brave?
8. What kinds of literary techniques does Ellison use when describing Senator Sunraider's childhood memories as he lay dying in his hospital bed?
9. Who is Brer Rabbit?
10. How do Bliss, Donelson, and Karp make their way across the country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Present an argument explaining why a nonlinear structure is the best or worst structure for a novel like Juneteenth. Make sure to use at least 3 examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss race and at least 3 specific ways in which race comes up in the novel. How does Ellison use race to tie into the novel's larger themes and message?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 2 pros and 2 cons of leaving a character motherless in a novel, using Bliss as an example for each pro and each con. Make sure to use specifics from Juneteenth to support your arguments.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)