|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person who interrupts the large Juneteenth ceremony claim?
2. What kind of dialogue is used to describe Senator Sunraider's childhood?
3. What secret object does the young senator always sneak into the coffin he hides in during church services?
4. What was Senator Sunraider's childhood name?
5. Who is the author of Juneteenth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Because of Bliss, what kinds of accusations are periodically leveled at the reverend?
2. Why is the group turned away from Senator Sunraider's office in D.C.?
3. What does the senator's final hallucination about the country club symbolize?
4. Why does Reverend Hickman claim that the senator cannot call the object he was in a coffin?
5. Who is Brer Rabbit?
6. How does Reverend Hickman use Bliss during his sermons?
7. What does Bliss's obsession with the image of the movie actress symbolize?
8. Why is Sister Georgia hesitant to hug Bliss as a child?
9. What hallucination does Senator Sunraider have while giving his speech on the senate floor?
10. What moves Sister Georgia in particular about Bliss's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 2 pros and 2 cons of leaving a character motherless in a novel, using Bliss as an example for each pro and each con. Make sure to use specifics from Juneteenth to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the reader never learn much about the senator's assassin? Discuss at least 3 reasons why this is true and what effect it has on the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 3 interactions Bliss has with women and how each interaction aids in his character development.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)