|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the person who assassinates Senator Sunraider?
2. While sitting in the hospital together, what major event does Hickman remind the senator of?
3. What skill of Senator Sunraider's was obvious early in childhood?
4. What does Hickman say to Senator Sunraider's assassin?
5. What kind of events does Laly host in her home for Bliss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does the reverend give Bliss about shadows and light?
2. What does Senator Sunraider initially think causes the chandelier in the Senate to come crashing down?
3. As a boy, what did Bliss call Reverend Hickman?
4. Why is Sister Georgia hesitant to hug Bliss as a child?
5. What hallucination does Senator Sunraider have while giving his speech on the senate floor?
6. What analogies does Reverend Hickman use to explain the two extremes of the nature of men as Senator Sunraider lay dying in his hospital bed?
7. How does the senator remember his costume feeling as he lay in the coffin waiting for his cue?
8. As he struggles to stay awake while sitting at the senator's bedside, what does the reverend wonder?
9. What does Bliss's obsession with the image of the movie actress symbolize?
10. Why is Bliss conflicted over Hickman's strong encouragement to begin preaching at such a young age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Present an argument explaining why a nonlinear structure is the best or worst structure for a novel like Juneteenth. Make sure to use at least 3 examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Why is it important for a reader to know about a novel's author? Discuss at least 3 reasons why this is of particular importance for a reader of Juneteenth.
Essay Topic 3
Choose 5 characters (Sister Bearmasher, Senator Sunraider, etc.) and analyze each of their names, discussing what Ellison may have been trying to convey about their character through the names that he chose for each.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)