|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose idea is it to have the young senator pop out of a coffin during services?
2. Who blocks the group's ability to see Senator Sunraider in D.C.?
3. What do Laly and Bliss do while on a picnic lunch one Sunday afternoon?
4. What animal does Senator Sunraider think he sees while giving his last speech?
5. What is Bliss wearing in his little coffin during the large Juneteenth revival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the senator realize the image of the boy in his final hallucination come from?
2. As a boy, what did Bliss call Reverend Hickman?
3. In the final chapter of the novel, how is it clear that the senator is in a hallucinatory state?
4. What does the reverend wish for Bliss as he sits watching him in his hospital bed?
5. What hallucination does Senator Sunraider have while giving his speech on the senate floor?
6. Why does Bliss get to cut open the watermelon he and Sister Georgia share?
7. When Senator Sunraider is remembering being bullied as a child, he described himself as reproaching the bully with "all the four horses galloping in my eyes." To what horses is he referring?
8. Who does the young boy in the senator's final hallucination represent?
9. What does Senator Sunraider initially think causes the chandelier in the Senate to come crashing down?
10. Why does Reverend Hickman claim that the senator cannot call the object he was in a coffin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose 5 characters (Sister Bearmasher, Senator Sunraider, etc.) and analyze each of their names, discussing what Ellison may have been trying to convey about their character through the names that he chose for each.
Essay Topic 2
Is Reverend Hickman a "good" character or a "bad" character? Provide at least 3 examples from the novel to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Was Reverend Hickman right in raising Bliss as his own son? Should he have done something differently? Use at least 3 examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)