|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of Juneteenth?
(a) Harvey Milk.
(b) Ralph Ellison.
(c) Denzel Washington.
(d) Ernest Hemmingway.
2. What does Senator Sunraider attempt to do after he is attacked?
(a) Maintain consciousness.
(b) Hid his wounds.
(c) Finish his speech.
(d) Apprehend his assassin.
3. What does Hickman think might help the senator while he is lying in his hospital bed?
(a) Pictures of his children.
(b) A visiting choir.
(c) Positive memories of their past together.
(d) Praying together.
4. What analogy does Ellison use to describe Laly and Bliss's love?
(a) Like two dolphins.
(b) Like two snakes.
(c) Like two birds.
(d) Like two lions.
5. What color Bible does the young senator hold when he comes out of the coffin during revivals as a child?
(b) Light blue.
(c) Brown (leather).
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person who disrupts the large Juneteenth revival ceremony look like?
2. Where is the person who interrupts the large Juneteenth revival ceremony ultimately taken?
3. What color lining does Bliss's coffin (used during the large Juneteenth revival) have?
4. What kinds of traditions does the Juneteenth holiday end up being connected to?
5. What does the young senator think his only weapon is as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bliss so obsessed about the image of the movie actress?
2. Where does the term "Juneteenth" come from?
3. Why is Sister Georgia hesitant to hug Bliss as a child?
4. What moves Sister Georgia in particular about Bliss's life?
5. Why is Bliss conflicted over Hickman's strong encouragement to begin preaching at such a young age?
6. When Senator Sunraider is remembering being bullied as a child, he described himself as reproaching the bully with "all the four horses galloping in my eyes." To what horses is he referring?
7. Who does Lorelli think she is after she returns from Europe?
8. In what ways does Senator Sunraider, while in his hospital bed, remember his childhood?
9. Why does Hickman want Bliss to rise out of a coffin during their services?
10. What kinds of literary techniques does Ellison use when describing Senator Sunraider's childhood memories as he lay dying in his hospital bed?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)