|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The religious revivals of this time period served as what kinds of events?
(b) Spiritual and social.
(d) None of these answers is correct.
2. In D.C., what does the group of visitors need in order to see the senator?
(a) A formal invitation for the party.
(b) A letter of introduction.
(c) An appointment.
(d) To go through security.
3. What does Bliss hear while he is inside his coffin during the large Juneteenth revival?
(a) The sounds of the doors locking because the service is over.
(b) The choir singing off-key.
(c) The sermon coming to a fever pitch.
(d) His mother comforting him.
4. With what term is Bowlegs unfamiliar?
(a) Meat whistle.
(b) Feather weather.
5. Like what animal does Reverend Hickman encourage his parishoners to continue to "inch on"?
(a) A tall oak tree.
(b) A weed.
(c) An inchworm.
(d) A snail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color Bible does the young senator hold when he comes out of the coffin during revivals as a child?
2. What promise does Bliss make to Laly?
3. What signal does one of the coffin bearers give Bliss to let him know that he's not alone inside the coffin?
4. What kind of events does Laly host in her home for Bliss?
5. What do the men do with Bliss's coffin during the large Juneteenth revival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the term "Juneteenth" come from?
2. What does the senator's final hallucination about the country club symbolize?
3. Why does the group of elderly churchgoers go to Washington, D.C.?
4. At what moment does Hickman realize his life is really going to change?
5. What makes Hickman realize he will have a life of bachelorhood?
6. As a boy, what did Bliss call Reverend Hickman?
7. What kinds of literary techniques does Ellison use when describing Senator Sunraider's childhood memories as he lay dying in his hospital bed?
8. What is happening, mentally, to Senator Sunraider while he is in the hospital after being shot?
9. What does Hickman consider his permanent home?
10. What does the reverend wish for Bliss as he sits watching him in his hospital bed?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)