|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bliss remember feeling inside of the tiny coffin during the large Juneteenth revival?
(a) Happy and content.
(b) Panicked and fearful.
(c) Tired and bored.
(d) Eager and excited.
2. What does the senator suggest Reverend Hickman might have otherwise done with his life?
(a) Been a trumpet player.
(b) Been a chef.
(c) Been a guitarist.
(d) Been a playwright.
3. What do Laly and Bliss do while on a picnic lunch one Sunday afternoon?
(a) Make love.
(b) Run away together.
(c) Get into a major fight.
(d) Steal a car.
4. How much time left does the senator think he has after he has been attacked?
(a) Not much at all.
(b) At least a few more good years.
(c) All the time in the world.
(d) One minute, max.
5. What kind of events does Laly host in her home for Bliss?
(c) Holiday tea parties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person who disrupts the large Juneteenth revival ceremony look like?
2. What is Bliss wearing in his little coffin during the large Juneteenth revival?
3. What item does the young senator demand be in the coffin with him?
4. What kind of dialogue is used to describe Senator Sunraider's childhood?
5. In D.C., where does the group go to hear Senator Sunraider speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of literary techniques does Ellison use when describing Senator Sunraider's childhood memories as he lay dying in his hospital bed?
2. What internal conflict does Bliss's beating of the little clown symbolize?
3. Why is Bliss so obsessed about the image of the movie actress?
4. What does the reverend wish for Bliss as he sits watching him in his hospital bed?
5. What does Lorelli have a history of doing?
6. What does Hickman think to himself about being given Bliss?
7. How does SIster Bearmasher get physical control of the woman who interrupts the Juneteenth revival service?
8. What great hope does Reverend Hickman continue to cling to for Senator Sunraider, even as he lay dying?
9. What does Hickman consider his permanent home?
10. Why does Bliss think his teddy bear is so brave?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)