|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Reverend Hickman take Bliss to the circus for the first time?
(a) When he graduates from high school.
(b) After they go to the movies.
(c) For his sixteenth birthday.
(d) Before the big Juneteenth revival.
2. What does Reverend Hickman tell Bliss about the clowns in an effort to comfort him?
(a) That they are slaves.
(b) That they are being paid to act silly.
(c) That they aren't really hurting each other.
(d) That it is just an act.
3. How did the lion tamer lose his arm?
(a) The lion tamer never lost an arm.
(b) A lion bit it off.
(c) In a tractor accident.
(d) He was only born with one arm.
4. In the senator's final hallucination sequence, what does he remember a young woman telling him about love?
(a) It's named after Mr. Babit.
(b) It runs fast like a rabit.
(c) It ain't nothing but a habit.
(d) When you find it, you should nab it.
5. With whom does Bliss start to hang out with more and more after seeing the circus?
(b) White friends.
6. Why does Bliss cry after he is taken from the Juneteenth revival?
(a) Because he left his teddy in the coffin.
(b) Because he didn't get his ice cream.
(c) Because the crazed woman broke his arm.
(d) Because he wants to be reunited with Reverend Hickman.
7. Why is Bliss banished back to his original sleeping place at Sister Georgia's house?
(a) Because he was caught looking at pornographic magazines.
(b) Because he snored too loudly.
(c) Because he was trying to see Sister Georgia naked.
(d) Because he was caught taking a sip of whiskey from the liquor cabinet.
8. What drink does Bliss drink when Hickman returns after the incident at the Juneteenth revival?
(a) Cold lemonade.
(b) Watermelon juice.
(d) Iced tea.
9. What two kinds of memories collide as the senator falls into his last series of hallucinations before he dies?
(a) Imaginary and foreign.
(b) Political and childhood.
(c) None of these answers is correct.
(d) Ones from heaven and ones from hell.
10. In the senator's final hallucination sequence, what kind of gun is Brer Rabbit holding?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) A pop gun.
(c) A .45 caliber pistol.
(d) A machine gun.
11. What is Lorelli known for?
(a) Trying to steal other people's children.
(b) Her wild hair.
(c) Her amazing cooking.
(d) Her kindness.
12. What fact is Bliss most interested to know about the circus clowns?
(a) How he can become one himself.
(b) Why the are acting so silly.
(c) If they are black or white.
(d) How much they are paid.
13. What sound does the senator hear as he flees the clubhouse in his final hallucination?
(b) Beautiful music, probably from angels.
(c) People yelling out his name.
(d) His mother's voice.
14. What caused Lorelli to lose her mind?
(a) Illness/A fever.
15. What do the clowns use to make their faces so dark?
(a) Ashes from a bonfire.
(b) Ashes from a fire pit.
(c) Ground up dried fruit.
(d) Burned cork.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bliss change beds in Sister Georgia's house?
2. What woman knocks on Hickman's door when he is sitting there, at the ready with guns and a rifle?
3. What does Hickman's unexpected female visitor ultimately need?
4. Where does Bliss originally go to sleep in Sister Georgia's house?
5. While sitting in the hospital with the senator, where does Reverend Hickman believe Death to be?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)