|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two characters appear in the senator's final hallucination sequence to tel the story of Brer Rabbit?
(a) Hickman and Donelson.
(b) Charlie and Lolita.
(c) Charlie and Donelson.
(d) Hickman and Layla.
2. How does Hickman find out that the senator's life may be in danger?
(a) Through a dream.
(b) Through a letter.
(c) Through a phone call.
(d) He overhears some people talking at the supermarket.
3. What does Reverend Hickman describe as the way the lion tamer is able to control his lions?
(a) Through food rewards.
(b) Through trust.
(c) Through fear.
(d) Through friendship.
4. What fact about elephants is Bliss surprised to learn Reverend Hickman knows?
(a) The difference between African and Asian elephants.
(b) That they have places to bury their dead.
(c) That they have a kind of funeral service for dead elephants.
(d) That they have good memories.
5. Who is Sister Georgia?
(a) One of the deacons.
(b) Bliss's mother.
(c) Bliss's aunt.
(d) The woman who takes Bliss away from the Juneteenth revival.
6. After the incident at the large Juneteenth revival, when does Bliss get to see Reverend Hickman again?
(a) The next week.
(b) Two days later.
(c) The next day.
(d) One month later.
7. With whom does Bliss start to hang out with more and more after seeing the circus?
(a) White friends.
8. Who warned Hickman that the senator's life may be in danger?
(a) God, since it came to Hickman in a dream.
(b) A bishop.
(c) The senator himself.
(d) Sister Janey.
9. What advice does the lion tamer give Bliss outside of the circus tent?
(a) To never be afraid of an animal that can't talk.
(b) To always carry a whip with you.
(c) None; they never speak to each other.
(d) To always carry a piece of meat in case you meet up with a wild animal.
10. In his final hallucination sequence, what are the men gathering to do at the club house?
(a) Talk politics.
(c) Shoot pigeons.
11. Why does Bliss know he won't be found by Reverend Hickman?
(a) Because he is very far away.
(b) Because he considered Reverend Hickman stupid.
(c) Because he is in a white neighborhood.
(d) Because he moves around so often.
12. Why was the reverend once sitting in a lamp-lit room with guns and a rifle?
(a) Because he was holding people hostage.
(b) Because he was waiting for the police to raid his apartment.
(c) Because he was thinking about trying to kill himself.
(d) Because he was waiting for a lynch mob to come and get him.
13. What does Reverend Hickman tell Bliss about the clowns in an effort to comfort him?
(a) That they are being paid to act silly.
(b) That they aren't really hurting each other.
(c) That they are slaves.
(d) That it is just an act.
14. Why does Bliss want money at the circus?
(a) For ice cream.
(b) For a stuffed animal.
(c) For the ferris wheel.
(d) For cotton candy.
15. How long does Bliss start disappearing for after he and Reverend Hickman go to the circus?
(a) A few hours at a time.
(b) Weeks and weeks.
(c) Months and months.
(d) A few days at a time.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the senator's final hallucination sequence, what kind of gun is Brer Rabbit holding?
2. When does Reverend Hickman take Bliss to the circus for the first time?
3. Why does Reverend Hickman try to stay awake in the hospital with the senator?
4. What does Hickman's unexpected female visitor give Hickman permission to do?
5. What caused Lorelli to lose her mind?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)