|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Hickman's jazz band take him back?
(a) Because he has a white baby with him and a brother who has been lynched.
(b) Because he has a white baby with him.
(c) Because he has a brother who has been lynched.
(d) None of these answers is correct.
2. What does Reverend Hickman tell Bliss to do in regard to Lorelli?
(a) Honor her.
(b) Mention her in their next sermon.
(c) Forget her.
(d) Remember her.
3. What does Hickman's unexpected female visitor ultimately need?
(a) Medicine for a very bad lung infection.
(b) Seeds to save her family farm.
(c) A place to give birth.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
4. What advice does the lion tamer give Bliss outside of the circus tent?
(a) To always carry a piece of meat in case you meet up with a wild animal.
(b) To never be afraid of an animal that can't talk.
(c) None; they never speak to each other.
(d) To always carry a whip with you.
5. Who warned Hickman that the senator's life may be in danger?
(a) Sister Janey.
(b) The senator himself.
(c) God, since it came to Hickman in a dream.
(d) A bishop.
6. What do the clowns use to make their faces so dark?
(a) Ashes from a bonfire.
(b) Ashes from a fire pit.
(c) Burned cork.
(d) Ground up dried fruit.
7. What is the woman, who knocks on Hickman's door when he is at the ready with guns and a rifle, wearing?
(a) An old sheet -- and that's it.
(b) A black shawl.
(c) A dirty wedding dress.
(d) A very expensive ballgown.
8. What two characters appear in the senator's final hallucination sequence to tel the story of Brer Rabbit?
(a) Hickman and Donelson.
(b) Hickman and Layla.
(c) Charlie and Donelson.
(d) Charlie and Lolita.
9. How did the lion tamer lose his arm?
(a) In a tractor accident.
(b) The lion tamer never lost an arm.
(c) He was only born with one arm.
(d) A lion bit it off.
10. Why does Bliss crawl under the porch after Reverend Hickman returns after the Juneteenth revival?
(a) So he can get out of doing chores.
(b) So he can read his pornographic magazines.
(c) So he can stay cool.
(d) So he can take a nap.
11. Why does Bliss want money at the circus?
(a) For the ferris wheel.
(b) For a stuffed animal.
(c) For cotton candy.
(d) For ice cream.
12. What is Lorelli known for?
(a) Her wild hair.
(b) Her kindness.
(c) Her amazing cooking.
(d) Trying to steal other people's children.
13. What does Reverend Hickman describe himself as a tamer of?
(c) The weak.
(d) The poor.
14. After visiting the circus, where does Bliss start going to see movies?
(a) The next town over.
(b) White neighborhoods.
(d) New York City.
15. Where does Bliss originally go to sleep in Sister Georgia's house?
(a) Out in the guest house.
(b) In the guest bedroom.
(c) In the basement.
(d) On the living room sofa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although they don't know Bliss is hiding underneath, what are the people on the porch talking about when Bliss is eavesdropping?
2. What sound does the senator hear as he flees the clubhouse in his final hallucination?
3. Why was the reverend once sitting in a lamp-lit room with guns and a rifle?
4. Where did Lorelli go to try to regain her sanity?
5. What does Brer Bear think Brear Rabbit's tail has turned into (in the senator's final hallucination sequence)?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)