|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What analogy does Ellison use to describe Laly and Bliss's love?
(a) Like two lions.
(b) Like two snakes.
(c) Like two birds.
(d) Like two dolphins.
2. What was Senator Sunraider's childhood name?
3. What signal does one of the coffin bearers give Bliss to let him know that he's not alone inside the coffin?
(a) He whispers things only Bliss can hear.
(b) He slips him a little note.
(c) He knocks on it.
(d) He sends him a text message.
4. The religious revivals of this time period served as what kinds of events?
(a) Spiritual and social.
(c) None of these answers is correct.
5. How does Bliss remember himself, in flashbacks, while he was with Laly?
6. What does Bliss try to imagine to keep himself calm while inside the coffin?
(b) Fresh air and lights.
(c) His mother.
7. What Biblical passage does Hickman quote when Bliss arises out of the coffin during revivals?
(a) "And the dead will rise again."
(b) "Hush, little children."
(c) "And a little child shall lead them."
(d) "And we shall love all chidren, even the dead ones."
8. What financial reward does the young senator get for popping out of the coffin at the appropriate time?
(a) Fifty cents.
(b) No reward.
(c) One dollar.
(d) Ten cents.
9. What happens to Senator Sunraider's assassin?
(a) He is tried and found guilty.
(b) He is detained and attacked by an angry mob.
(c) He shoots himself.
(d) He falls off the balcony to his death.
10. What does Hickman say is the one thing keeping Bliss from being a great preacher?
(a) He wants to get married.
(b) He won't sing.
(c) He likes to sleep late on Sundays.
(d) He curses too much.
11. Where are Karp, Donelson, and Bliss ultimately trying to get to?
(c) New York City.
12. Who is Laly?
(a) Bliss's first real love.
(b) The senator's hospital doctor.
(c) Reverend Hickman's daughter.
(d) Bliss's sister.
13. How does Bliss breathe when locked inside the coffin?
(a) With SCUBA equipment.
(c) With an oxygen mask.
(d) Through an air tube.
14. Who does Hickman accuse of taking away Bliss's singing voice?
(a) His mother.
(b) The devil.
(c) The same people that gave him white skin and straight hair.
(d) The crazy woman who tried to kidnap him.
15. What do Laly and Bliss do while on a picnic lunch one Sunday afternoon?
(a) Run away together.
(b) Get into a major fight.
(c) Make love.
(d) Steal a car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rhyme does Bowlegs create to make fun of Bliss?
2. What kind of job does A.Z. have?
3. When does Juneteenth take place?
4. What do the men do with Bliss's coffin during the large Juneteenth revival?
5. What is the age group of the people who arrive in Washington, D.C. when the novel opens?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)