|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item does the young senator demand be in the coffin with him?
(a) His nightlight.
(b) His favorite blanket.
(c) He demands nothing at all, not even a pillow.
(d) His teddy bear.
2. In D.C., what does the group of visitors need in order to see the senator?
(a) A formal invitation for the party.
(b) A letter of introduction.
(c) An appointment.
(d) To go through security.
3. What kind of dialogue is used to describe Senator Sunraider's childhood?
4. What animal does Senator Sunraider think he sees while giving his last speech?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A dinosaur.
(c) An elephant.
(d) A dragon.
5. Where does Hickman's group go after the assassination?
(a) The Justic Department.
(b) Back to North Carolina.
(c) Straight to the hospital.
6. What does the person who interrupts the large Juneteenth ceremony want?
(a) To give her confession.
(b) To be baptised.
(c) To take Bliss home.
(d) To become a nun.
7. What promise does Bliss make to Laly?
(a) That he will marry her.
(b) That he will get her pregnant so she can have a baby.
(c) That he will cast her in a movie.
(d) That he will give her a brand new house.
8. Why is the senator so cold, initially, to Reverend Hickman in the hospital?
(a) Because he is embarrassed by his looks.
(b) Because he is still angry about being abused.
(c) Because he feels he can do nothing for African Americans.
(d) Because he is still mad about the last fight they had.
9. Why does Hickman say Juneteenth will always be celebrated?
(a) So that its significance is not forgotten.
(b) Because it is now a state holiday.
(c) Because people can take the day off of work.
(d) Because people like to give and receive gifts.
10. Who does the group in D.C. try to tell their story to?
(a) A TV reporter.
(b) A famous author.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) A radio station.
11. While sitting in the hospital together, what major event does Hickman remind the senator of?
(a) His tenth birthday.
(b) His wedding day.
(c) Juneteenth revivals.
(d) His college graduation.
12. What does Hickman say is the one thing keeping Bliss from being a great preacher?
(a) He curses too much.
(b) He won't sing.
(c) He likes to sleep late on Sundays.
(d) He wants to get married.
13. What kind of job does A.Z. have?
14. What does Hickman say to Senator Sunraider's assassin?
(a) He tells him to hide in a secret closet nearby.
(b) He tells him he will kill him.
(c) He asks him why he did it.
(d) He tells him to wait.
15. How does Bliss know when to rise from the coffin during the large Juneteenth revival?
(a) He knows to do it when everything is quiet.
(b) He rises when the choir starts to sing "Amazing Grace."
(c) He has a little timer that goes off.
(d) Reverend Hickman gives him a verbal cue.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Senator Sunraider wakes up after being attacked, what is the first thing he sees?
2. Who disrupts the large Juneteenth revival ceremony?
3. What analogy does Ellison use to describe Laly and Bliss's love?
4. Who is Sister Bearmasher?
5. According to Donelson, why does Bliss travel so lightly?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)