|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Laly and Bliss do while on a picnic lunch one Sunday afternoon?
(a) Steal a car.
(b) Run away together.
(c) Get into a major fight.
(d) Make love.
2. How much time left does the senator think he has after he has been attacked?
(a) One minute, max.
(b) At least a few more good years.
(c) Not much at all.
(d) All the time in the world.
3. How does Senator Sunraider see things once he has been attacked?
(a) In black and white.
(b) Everything turns red.
(c) In slow motion.
(d) He sees things but cannot hear anything.
4. What promise does Bliss make to Laly?
(a) That he will get her pregnant so she can have a baby.
(b) That he will marry her.
(c) That he will give her a brand new house.
(d) That he will cast her in a movie.
5. How does Reverend Hickman react when he sees Senator Sunraider attacked?
(a) He becomes violently angry.
(b) He cheers for joy.
(c) He is in shock.
(d) He faints.
6. What object is the animal carrying that Senator Sunraider thinks he sees while giving his last speech?
(a) A shield.
(b) An olive branch.
(c) A knife.
(d) A dead rabbit.
7. Why is the senator so cold, initially, to Reverend Hickman in the hospital?
(a) Because he is still mad about the last fight they had.
(b) Because he is embarrassed by his looks.
(c) Because he is still angry about being abused.
(d) Because he feels he can do nothing for African Americans.
8. When he sees Hickman by his bedside, what does the senator want from him?
(a) Just to talk like old times.
(b) An apology.
(d) To say what he wants and then leave.
9. Why does the Senator not physically fight back to bullies during his childhood?
(a) He is too scrawny.
(b) He always ends up losing so he just stops trying.
(c) His religion won't allow it.
(d) He is in a wheelchair.
10. Whose idea is it to have the young senator pop out of a coffin during services?
(a) Reverend Hickman's.
(c) The pope's.
11. In D.C., where does the group go to hear Senator Sunraider speak?
(a) A rally at the mall.
(b) The Senate.
(c) The American History Museum.
(d) A rally in downtown D.C.
12. Where are Karp, Donelson, and Bliss ultimately trying to get to?
(b) New York City.
13. What unique sound is Senator Sunraider's last speech met with?
(b) The Rebel yell.
(c) Foot stomping.
14. What analogy does Ellison use to describe Laly and Bliss's love?
(a) Like two dolphins.
(b) Like two lions.
(c) Like two birds.
(d) Like two snakes.
15. Who disrupts the large Juneteenth revival ceremony?
(a) The president.
(b) A fellow preacher.
(c) Another small boy who wants to get into the coffin too.
(d) A crazy woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hickman think might help the senator while he is lying in his hospital bed?
2. Who does Hickman accuse of taking away Bliss's singing voice?
3. What can Bliss see inside his tiny coffin?
4. What does the person who interrupts the large Juneteenth ceremony want?
5. How does Senator Sunraider's wife respond to news of the shooting?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)