|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the person who interrupts the large Juneteenth revival ceremony removed from the service?
(a) She is put in handcuffs and carried out.
(b) She leaves on her own.
(c) She is dragged out.
(d) She faints and is taken out by ambulance.
2. What two "sins" does Reverend Hickman frequently mention in his reminisces with the senator in the hospital?
(a) Drugs and rock and roll.
(b) Whiskey and fornicating.
(c) Whiskey and rock and roll.
(d) Rock and roll and fornicating.
3. Who is Laly?
(a) Bliss's first real love.
(b) Reverend Hickman's daughter.
(c) The senator's hospital doctor.
(d) Bliss's sister.
4. At what moment during church services does the young senator pop out of the coffin?
(a) After the service is over and people are clapping.
(b) At the most dramatic moment possible.
(c) When everyone is quiet and settling in.
(d) He never pops out; he just plays dead for sympathy.
5. What does Senator Sunraider do to block out the visions he is having while giving his last speech?
(a) Go to the hospital.
(b) Ask for a cool cloth.
(c) Take a drink of water.
(d) Close his eyes.
6. What does Bliss hear while he is inside his coffin during the large Juneteenth revival?
(a) The sounds of the doors locking because the service is over.
(b) The sermon coming to a fever pitch.
(c) His mother comforting him.
(d) The choir singing off-key.
7. How does Reverend Hickman react when he sees Senator Sunraider attacked?
(a) He is in shock.
(b) He becomes violently angry.
(c) He cheers for joy.
(d) He faints.
8. What rhyme does Bowlegs create to make fun of Bliss?
(a) Bliss, Bliss, Cat piss miss.
(b) He didn't create a rhyme.
(c) Bliss, Bliss, he's a siss.
(d) Blis, Bliss, always amiss.
9. When does Juneteenth take place?
(b) Nineteenth century.
(c) The reader never really knows.
(d) Early to mid-twentieth century.
10. When he is on his deathbed, why can't the senator acknowledge Reverend Hickman?
(a) He is too tired.
(b) He is too proud.
(c) He is too confused.
(d) He is too brain damaged.
11. What color Bible does the young senator hold when he comes out of the coffin during revivals as a child?
(b) Brown (leather).
(d) Light blue.
12. What analogy does Ellison use to describe Laly and Bliss's love?
(a) Like two lions.
(b) Like two snakes.
(c) Like two birds.
(d) Like two dolphins.
13. When Senator Sunraider wakes up after being attacked, what is the first thing he sees?
(a) Angels by his bedside.
(b) The man who attacked him lurking in the shadows.
(c) Reverend Hickman looking at him.
(d) His beautiful nurse.
14. What kinds of traditions does the Juneteenth holiday end up being connected to?
(b) None of these answers is correct.
15. How does Bliss know when to rise from the coffin during the large Juneteenth revival?
(a) He knows to do it when everything is quiet.
(b) Reverend Hickman gives him a verbal cue.
(c) He has a little timer that goes off.
(d) He rises when the choir starts to sing "Amazing Grace."
Short Answer Questions
1. For the large Juneteenth revival, who lifts Bliss into the coffin?
2. According to Donelson, why does Bliss travel so lightly?
3. What do Laly and Bliss do while on a picnic lunch one Sunday afternoon?
4. While sitting in the hospital together, what major event does Hickman remind the senator of?
5. What does Hickman say is the one thing keeping Bliss from being a great preacher?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)