|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In D.C., what does the group of visitors need in order to see the senator?
(a) An appointment.
(b) To go through security.
(c) A formal invitation for the party.
(d) A letter of introduction.
2. When does Juneteenth take place?
(a) The reader never really knows.
(c) Early to mid-twentieth century.
(d) Nineteenth century.
3. What Biblical passage does Hickman quote when Bliss arises out of the coffin during revivals?
(a) "And we shall love all chidren, even the dead ones."
(b) "Hush, little children."
(c) "And the dead will rise again."
(d) "And a little child shall lead them."
4. What kind of events does Laly host in her home for Bliss?
(a) Holiday tea parties.
5. Who is Bowlegs?
(a) The bully who starts a fight with Bliss.
(b) The nickname the senator had as a child.
(c) The senator's godfather.
(d) The senator's dog.
6. What do Laly and Bliss do while on a picnic lunch one Sunday afternoon?
(a) Get into a major fight.
(b) Run away together.
(c) Steal a car.
(d) Make love.
7. Who does the group in D.C. try to tell their story to?
(a) A TV reporter.
(b) A radio station.
(c) A famous author.
(d) The newspaper.
8. Who does Hickman accuse of taking away Bliss's singing voice?
(a) The devil.
(b) The same people that gave him white skin and straight hair.
(c) The crazy woman who tried to kidnap him.
(d) His mother.
9. How much time left does the senator think he has after he has been attacked?
(a) One minute, max.
(b) Not much at all.
(c) All the time in the world.
(d) At least a few more good years.
10. At what point does Bliss come out of his coffin during the large Juneteenth revival?
(a) He accidentally comes out too early.
(b) The most dramatic.
(c) He accidentally comes out too late.
(d) The people carrying the coffin drop it, so he falls out and ruins the surprise.
11. What kind of traditional preaching style do Bliss and Reverend Hickman have?
(a) Call and response.
12. How does Senator Sunraider's wife respond to news of the shooting?
(a) She rushes to the police station.
(b) He doesn't have a wife.
(c) She faints.
(d) She rushes to the hospital.
13. How does Bliss know when to rise from the coffin during the large Juneteenth revival?
(a) He has a little timer that goes off.
(b) Reverend Hickman gives him a verbal cue.
(c) He rises when the choir starts to sing "Amazing Grace."
(d) He knows to do it when everything is quiet.
14. Like what animal does Reverend Hickman encourage his parishoners to continue to "inch on"?
(a) A snail.
(b) A tall oak tree.
(c) An inchworm.
(d) A weed.
15. What was Senator Sunraider's first real job?
(a) Delivering newspapers.
(c) Picking cotton.
(d) Giving sermons with his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bliss remember himself, in flashbacks, while he was with Laly?
2. What does the person who interrupts the large Juneteenth ceremony claim Bliss's real name is?
3. What does the senator suggest Reverend Hickman might have otherwise done with his life?
4. How many people did Senator Sunraider sometimes preach to in his childhood?
5. According to Donelson, why does Bliss travel so lightly?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)