|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the person who interrupts the large Juneteenth revival ceremony removed from the service?
(a) She faints and is taken out by ambulance.
(b) She is put in handcuffs and carried out.
(c) She leaves on her own.
(d) She is dragged out.
2. For the large Juneteenth revival, who lifts Bliss into the coffin?
(a) A very strong little nun.
(b) The reverend.
(c) A deacon.
(d) His mother.
3. Where is the person who interrupts the large Juneteenth revival ceremony ultimately taken?
(a) To a nunnery.
(b) To her house.
(c) To jail.
(d) To the hospital.
4. What does Laly say she'll have to do a lot of for Bliss?
(a) Pay for things.
5. At what point does Bliss come out of his coffin during the large Juneteenth revival?
(a) He accidentally comes out too early.
(b) The most dramatic.
(c) He accidentally comes out too late.
(d) The people carrying the coffin drop it, so he falls out and ruins the surprise.
6. What does the person who disrupts the large Juneteenth revival ceremony look like?
(a) A black woman in a wheelchair.
(b) A Latina woman with long, beautiful braids.
(c) A white woman with unruy hair.
(d) A white woman with severe burn scars.
7. What happens to Senator Sunraider's assassin?
(a) He is detained and attacked by an angry mob.
(b) He shoots himself.
(c) He is tried and found guilty.
(d) He falls off the balcony to his death.
8. What color Bible does the young senator hold when he comes out of the coffin during revivals as a child?
(a) Brown (leather).
(c) Light blue.
9. What secret object does the young senator always sneak into the coffin he hides in during church services?
(a) His jacks.
(c) His lucky rock.
(d) A picture of his mother.
10. Who is the author of Juneteenth?
(a) Ralph Ellison.
(b) Ernest Hemmingway.
(c) Harvey Milk.
(d) Denzel Washington.
11. Why is the senator so cold, initially, to Reverend Hickman in the hospital?
(a) Because he is embarrassed by his looks.
(b) Because he is still angry about being abused.
(c) Because he feels he can do nothing for African Americans.
(d) Because he is still mad about the last fight they had.
12. Who is Laly?
(a) Reverend Hickman's daughter.
(b) The senator's hospital doctor.
(c) Bliss's sister.
(d) Bliss's first real love.
13. What kind of dialogue is used to describe Senator Sunraider's childhood?
14. When does Juneteenth take place?
(b) The reader never really knows.
(c) Early to mid-twentieth century.
(d) Nineteenth century.
15. Why does the Senator not physically fight back to bullies during his childhood?
(a) He is too scrawny.
(b) He always ends up losing so he just stops trying.
(c) He is in a wheelchair.
(d) His religion won't allow it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skill of Senator Sunraider's was obvious early in childhood?
2. When Senator Sunraider wakes up after being attacked, what is the first thing he sees?
3. What two "sins" does Reverend Hickman frequently mention in his reminisces with the senator in the hospital?
4. The religious revivals of this time period served as what kinds of events?
5. Which character does Senator Sunraider ask for from the hospital?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)