|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maureen run for at the end of the book?
(b) To get to the helicopter.
(c) To escape the helicopter.
(d) Her family.
2. Who cooked for the Smalls in Section 6?
3. What is Bam doing when Maureen returns from speaking with July in Section 10?
(a) Feeding the children.
(b) Getting drunk.
(d) Talking to Daniel.
4. What does Maureen assume the chief wants?
(a) To join other nations.
(b) To fight the government.
(c) To have his own army.
(d) To be left alone.
5. What are the chief’s final words to the Smalls in Section 8?
(a) He will come learn how to shoot the gun.
(b) He asks them to give up their car.
(c) He asks them to stay with him and fight.
(d) He asks them to leave.
6. Why does July send Daniel away in Section 7?
(a) He wants to speak to Maureen privately.
(b) He wants to be left alone.
(c) He knows Maureen doesn’t like Daniel.
(d) He wants to talk about Daniel.
7. What do Maureen and Bam listen to instead of their regular radio broadcast in Section 7?
(a) American news.
(b) African news.
(c) Cuban news.
(d) Military radio.
8. What reason does Maureen give for working with the women in Section 7?
(a) She wants to learn about the culture.
(b) She wants July’s people to like her.
(c) She wants to get away from the children.
(d) She wants to feed her family.
9. Where does Maureen end up finding July in Section 10 after an object goes missing from her hut?
(a) At home.
(b) At the village.
(c) At the car.
(d) At the chief's.
10. What does Nyiko say about the Small’s issue with the animals?
(a) Puppies are owned by the chief.
(b) Chickens are popular to raise.
(c) Everyone owns the cats.
(d) No one in the village owns a cat.
11. Who is the first man the Smalls meet on their way to the chief?
(a) Headman for the chief.
(b) The chief.
(c) The mayor.
(d) A police officer.
12. What is Bam’s reasoning for not owning a pistol?
(a) He doesn’t shoot animals.
(b) He doesn’t shoot people.
(c) He doesn’t shoot guns.
(d) He doesn’t shoot birds.
13. What does Maureen say about July being afraid in Section 7?
(a) Bam is going to take back the vehicle.
(b) Bam will not drive the car again.
(c) Bam won’t take back the vehicle.
(d) Bam will take the keys when he fixes the car.
14. Why does Maureen suddenly bring up the stolen items in Section 10?
(a) She is going to press charges.
(b) She is hurt.
(c) She wants Daniel to return the items.
(d) She wants to end their relationship.
15. Who drives back to the hut after the meeting with the chief?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is all of July’s money?
2. What does the man accuse the children of in Section 6?
3. Where do Bam and the children go after dinner in Section 10?
4. Why do Bam and Maureen have difficulty discussing the circumstances in Section 9?
5. What does Bam realize about his feelings for his wife in Section 7?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)