|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Smalls lead their children away from the party in Section 9?
(a) It is too loud.
(b) Many are drunk.
(c) It is too dangerous.
(d) Many are fighting.
2. What happened to Nora’s husband?
(a) He left her.
(b) He was hired at the mines.
(c) He died.
(d) He disappeared.
3. Why does Maureen believe July doesn’t want her with his wife?
(a) He thinks she will be rude.
(b) He fears she will discuss his affair.
(c) He thinks she will be judgmental.
(d) He thinks she will be hurt.
4. What does Maureen think July was really talking about when he criticized the chief?
(a) His people.
(b) His mother.
(d) His father.
5. What does Maureen tell July in Section 10 about the bakke he so desires?
(a) It will eventually come to ruin.
(b) It is not his to keep.
(c) It is now dangerous to keep.
(d) It is stolen.
6. What does Maureen understand in Section 10 during their argument, although July speaks in his own language?
(a) That he wants her to leave.
(b) That he resents her.
(c) That he loves her.
(d) That he loves the children.
7. Where has Daniel gone in Section 10?
(a) To the chief.
(b) To the village.
(c) To join the rebels.
(d) To town.
8. Where has Martha seen a photograph?
(a) In a coffee table book.
(b) Martha saw one of Maureen and Bam.
(c) In her school books.
(d) July sent one home.
9. What does Nyiko say about the Small’s issue with the animals?
(a) Puppies are owned by the chief.
(b) No one in the village owns a cat.
(c) Chickens are popular to raise.
(d) Everyone owns the cats.
10. Why is Bam suddenly rendered incapable of action in Section 10?
(a) He doesn’t know what to do to survive.
(b) He is afraid of Maureen.
(c) He doesn’t know what to do about the gun.
(d) He is afraid of July.
11. Why does Maureen question July in Section 7, when he talks of going back to the way things were?
(a) She doesn’t want him to be afraid.
(b) She doesn’t want him to work for her anymore.
(c) She doesn’t believe he wants things to go back.
(d) She doesn’t believe he has heard the new.
12. What does Maureen demand July do when she finds him after an obejctive has gone missing from her hut?
(a) Talk to Bam.
(b) Tell her what’s wrong.
(c) Help them escape.
(d) Get the gun back.
13. What do even the children know about the secret of the gun?
(a) Everyone knew it was there.
(b) No one knew it was there.
(c) The gun was never there.
(d) No one cared about the gun.
14. Where do Bam and the children go after dinner in Section 10?
(d) Back to the party.
15. Who drives the car with the family in Section 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man accuse the children of in Section 6?
2. What phrases does Bam hear on the radio that attracts his attention in Section 8?
3. What does Bam do that Maureen realizes is a move of defeat?
4. What does Gina do in Section 6 to bring about admonishment from Maureen?
5. What term does July use that frustrates the Small family?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)