|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who drives the car with the family in Section 7?
2. What does Bam realize about his feelings for his wife in Section 7?
(a) He feels he no longer knows her.
(b) He feels he loves her more every day.
(c) He feels she hates him.
(d) He feels she is cruel.
3. What happened to Nora’s husband?
(a) He was hired at the mines.
(b) He disappeared.
(c) He left her.
(d) He died.
4. What does Martha wonder about town?
(a) Whether Maureen told July what to do.
(b) What the streets looked like.
(c) Whether the children went to school.
(d) What the house looked like.
5. Who drives back to the hut after the meeting with the chief?
6. What is missing from the hut when the Smalls return home?
(a) The car.
(b) Their radio.
(c) The gun.
(d) Their food.
7. In Section 10, who do the Smalls first think of in the theft of an object from their hut?
8. What does Bam ask about Maureen’s actions with the small animals born in their hut?
(a) Why she did it.
(b) Why she didn’t have one of the villagers do it.
(c) Why she didn’t give them away.
(d) Why she didn’t shoot them.
9. Who does Maureen hear as she runs through the jungle at the end of the book?
(a) Her family.
(c) The chief.
10. What does Maureen learn in Section 7 that they must to do to stay in the village?
(a) They have to join the rebellion.
(b) They have to release July from servitude.
(c) They have to pay.
(d) They have to go see the chief.
11. Why does Martha find it odd when July answers her questions?
(a) She is used to not being heard.
(b) She is used to him being mean to her.
(c) She is used to him not being there.
(d) She is used to him ignoring her.
12. What does the chief want Bam to do to help him?
(a) Bring his family to the chief’s village for better protection.
(b) He wants Bam to leave.
(c) Bring his car, and help drive soldiers.
(d) Bring his gun, and teach him to shoot.
13. What does Maureen think the blacks would say about July’s actions in saving the Smalls?
(a) That he is helping the revolution.
(b) That he was right to save them.
(c) That he is a sellout to his people.
(d) That he was dangerous in trying to help.
14. What does Maureen not realize she is helping the women collect in Section 9?
(a) Food for the rebels.
(b) Food for the animals.
(c) Grass to light fires.
(d) Grass to rethatch the hut.
15. What is born within Maureen’s hut?
(a) A litter of kittens.
(b) Baby pigs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does July send Daniel away in Section 7?
2. What does Bam hope Nyiko knows in Section 6?
3. What does July refuse to do to get Maureen to leave in Section 10?
4. What does Bam do that Maureen realizes is a move of defeat?
5. Why is July’s mother angry in Section 6?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)