|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the end of Section 7, what does Maureen realize about July and his feelings for her?
(a) She realizes he hates her.
(b) She doesn’t know how he feels for her.
(c) She realizes he is humiliated.
(d) She realizes he loves her.
2. What does Maureen realize she doesn’t have to worry about anymore in Section 9?
(a) July, as he has now taken control.
(b) Herself, as she no longer cares about anything.
(c) Her husband, as he has learned to care for himself.
(d) Her children, as they have learned to care for themselves.
3. Where has Daniel gone in Section 10?
(a) To the village.
(b) To town.
(c) To the chief.
(d) To join the rebels.
4. Where does Maureen end up finding July in Section 10 after an object goes missing from her hut?
(a) At home.
(b) At the car.
(c) At the village.
(d) At the chief's.
5. What does Bam think they should have brought to the chief?
6. Where does Maureen go to find July in Section 10 after an object is discovered missing from their hut?
(a) His woman’s hut.
(b) Daniel's hut.
(c) Her own hut.
(d) His personal hut.
7. What happened to Nora’s husband?
(a) He disappeared.
(b) He died.
(c) He was hired at the mines.
(d) He left her.
8. What does Maureen suggest in Section 9 that they need to do to save July?
(b) Help the chief.
(c) Run with him.
(d) Take July to America.
9. Who drives the car with the family in Section 7?
10. What greeting does Daniel give the man at the gathering place?
(b) A hug.
(c) A hand shake.
(d) A raised fist.
11. What does Nyiko say about the Small’s issue with the animals?
(a) No one in the village owns a cat.
(b) Everyone owns the cats.
(c) Chickens are popular to raise.
(d) Puppies are owned by the chief.
12. What are the chief’s final words to the Smalls in Section 8?
(a) He asks them to stay with him and fight.
(b) He asks them to leave.
(c) He will come learn how to shoot the gun.
(d) He asks them to give up their car.
13. What does Maureen understand in Section 10 during their argument, although July speaks in his own language?
(a) That he resents her.
(b) That he loves the children.
(c) That he loves her.
(d) That he wants her to leave.
14. What does Gina do in Section 6 to bring about admonishment from Maureen?
(a) Yell at the man.
(b) Pull the kittens from their mother.
(c) Hold hands with Nyiko.
(d) Feed the kittens.
15. Why does Maureen question July in Section 7, when he talks of going back to the way things were?
(a) She doesn’t believe he wants things to go back.
(b) She doesn’t want him to be afraid.
(c) She doesn’t believe he has heard the new.
(d) She doesn’t want him to work for her anymore.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chief do that surprises the Smalls?
2. What is missing from the hut when the Smalls return home?
3. At the end of the book, what does Maureen hear that is different than usual sounds?
4. Why would Maureen and Bam be left behind, even if the Americans and Europeans were airlifted out?
5. What does Maureen learn in Section 7 that they must to do to stay in the village?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)