|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When were July’s children conceived?
(a) During holidays.
(b) When his wife was in town.
(c) It is unknown.
(d) On his leave.
2. On what do the Smalls become intoxicated?
3. What is a bakkie?
(a) An article of clothing.
(b) A car.
(c) A plant.
(d) A bicycle.
4. Why can’t the Smalls fly overseas?
(a) Rebels are shooting down the planes.
(b) The don’t have money.
(c) The planes are broken.
(d) They can’t reach the airport.
5. What does Maureen believe about July as he addresses her and Bam in Section 4?
(a) That he is always speaking to Bam.
(b) That she is always who he is speaking to.
(c) That he sees them as inferior.
(d) That he sees them as equals.
6. What does Bam do for leisure in Section 3?
(a) He sings with the villagers.
(b) He plays sports with the villagers.
(c) He drinks beer with the villagers.
(d) He spends time with his family.
7. In Seciton 4, what does July learn to do for himself?
(a) He learns to cook.
(b) He learns to sew.
(c) He learns to drive.
(d) He learns to sing.
8. What does Royce continue to ask to do in Section 3?
(a) Eat meat.
(b) Go to school.
(c) Go to movies.
(d) Go home.
9. What does Maureen realize about herself when she bathes in Section 1?
(a) She stinks.
(b) She has lost weight.
(c) She is frightened.
(d) She is overweight.
10. What is surprising about the photo of Maureen and Lydia?
(a) They are both white.
(b) They are both black.
(c) Their roles of servant and master are clear.
(d) They are holding hands.
11. What does July’s wife experience for the first time when she meets Maureen?
(a) The touching of white skin.
(b) She’s never seen a white.
(c) She’s never heard English.
(d) The meeting of a white woman.
12. How does Maureen get the keys from July in Section 4?
(a) She tells him she wants to get the mats from the floor.
(b) She tells him Bam is angry.
(c) She tells him she doesn’t trust him.
(d) She tells him she needs to go to town.
13. What do July’s daughters seem amazed at regarding July's situation in the city?
(a) July had a separate room to sleep.
(b) July had a separate room to eat.
(c) July had a separate room to bathe.
(d) July had a car.
14. Why does July make Bam move the car in Section 1?
(a) He wants to steal it.
(b) He wants to use it for parts.
(c) He wants to sell it.
(d) He’s afraid it will be seen.
15. Why does Maureen avoid reading the only book she has?
(a) She hates reading.
(b) She knows that when she reads it, there are no others.
(c) She doesn’t want to know the ending.
(d) She can’t read it because it is in Italian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bam’s profession?
2. What does July offer Maureen in terms of clothing?
3. What is Bam not aware of when he shows the gun to the villagers?
4. What does July bring the Smalls at the beginning of the novel?
5. What does July’s son realize in Section 2, that the others do not?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)