|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maureen know July is lying about what his family says upon their first meeting?
(a) They say more than he appears to translate.
(b) They don’t say anything, although he translates.
(c) They sound angry.
(d) He doesn’t speak their language.
2. What surprises July’s wife about Maureen upon first meeting her?
(a) She’s not rich.
(b) She’s not attractive.
(c) She’s not a good mother.
(d) She’s not kind.
3. Where does the photograph of Maureen and Lydia end up later in Life?
(a) In an ad against apartheid.
(b) In a story about white supremacists.
(c) In a Life book.
(d) In a magazine.
4. What does Maureen realize the people in town will see about July?
(a) His possession of money.
(b) His new wealth.
(c) His new clothes.
(d) His possession of the bakke.
5. Why does July make Bam move the car in Section 1?
(a) He wants to steal it.
(b) He wants to use it for parts.
(c) He’s afraid it will be seen.
(d) He wants to sell it.
6. In Section 2, what did July’s children see that Bam has in the hut?
(a) A knife.
(b) A key to the car.
(c) A gun.
(d) A cat.
7. Why does Bam know something has happened in Section 4?
(a) Maureen is distant.
(b) Maureen is nearly naked.
(c) Maureen is fully dressed.
(d) Maureen is rude.
8. On what do the Smalls become intoxicated?
9. What does July offer Maureen in terms of clothing?
(a) His wife and other women can make new clothing.
(b) His wife and other women can wash them.
(c) He offers to buy new ones.
(d) He offers to mend them.
10. What do both Maureen and Bam refuse from July at the beginning of the novel?
11. What does July bring the Smalls at the beginning of the novel?
12. What does Maureen understand must be balanced in black affairs?
(a) Money and desire.
(b) Duty and love.
(c) Desire and duty.
(d) Love and money.
13. What is happening politically, economically, and socially in the novel?
(a) Blacks are being sold as slaves.
(b) Democracy is being challenged.
(c) Whites are being sold as slaves.
(d) Apartheid is being challenged.
14. What does July’s mother eventually do as she carries wood in Section 5?
(a) Ask for help.
(b) Crawl on the ground.
(c) Give up.
15. What is Maureen afraid of, in terms of the children and the water?
(b) It is too warm.
(c) It is too cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the blacks not kill the warthogs?
2. What does Maureen keep secret from Bam in Section 4?
3. What do Maureen and Bam fear their lives will become, as described in Section 1?
4. What is July’s reaction to the medication his wife gave Maureen?
5. Why is July hurt by Maureen in Section 5?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)