|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bam promise Victor, if he stays home from hunting?
(a) The flank.
(b) The head.
(c) The skin.
(d) The feet.
2. What have the boys learned to do instead of us toilet paper?
(a) Wipe their bottoms with stones.
(b) Wipe their bottoms with leaves.
(c) Rinse in the river water.
(d) Wipe their bottoms with rags.
3. In Section 3, what has Maureen noticed about items in the village?
(a) They are stolen by July from her home.
(b) They are handmade.
(c) They are purchased by July.
(d) They are expensive.
4. What did Maureen’s father do for a living?
(a) He was a servant.
(b) He was an architect.
(c) He was a shift boss in the mines.
(d) He was a lawyer.
5. What is a bakkie?
(a) An article of clothing.
(b) A plant.
(c) A car.
(d) A bicycle.
6. What is surprising about the photo of Maureen and Lydia?
(a) They are both white.
(b) Their roles of servant and master are clear.
(c) They are holding hands.
(d) They are both black.
7. What does Bam help July build in Section 3?
(a) A new hut.
(b) A stable.
(c) A well.
(d) A water tank.
8. Why does the old woman become angry with July in Section 2?
(a) He is cruel.
(b) He spent too much money.
(c) He killed the wrong chicken.
(d) He wrongly thatched the roof.
9. What do July’s daughters seem amazed at regarding July's situation in the city?
(a) July had a separate room to eat.
(b) July had a separate room to bathe.
(c) July had a separate room to sleep.
(d) July had a car.
10. Who does Bam meet that would like to use the gun?
11. Why do the blacks not kill the warthogs?
(a) They have no guns.
(b) They don’t know how.
(c) They don’t believe in eating meat.
(d) They don’t know they exist.
12. In Section 1, where are the children sleeping, once in the hut?
(b) Car seats.
(d) The floor.
13. What does Maureen believe about July as he addresses her and Bam in Section 4?
(a) That she is always who he is speaking to.
(b) That he is always speaking to Bam.
(c) That he sees them as inferior.
(d) That he sees them as equals.
14. To whom is Maureen introduced in Section 2?
(a) July’s children.
(b) July's father.
(c) July's brother.
(d) July’s wife and mother.
15. What does July bring for Bam in Section 1?
(c) A car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What 'medication' does Maureen get from Martha in Section 4?
2. What does Maureen become aware of in Section 2 that she is ignorant of in this village?
3. What does Bam do for leisure in Section 3?
4. What does July say about Bam to Victor when he complains about the water?
5. What does July offer Maureen in terms of clothing?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)