|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does July’s wife experience for the first time when she meets Maureen?
(a) The meeting of a white woman.
(b) The touching of white skin.
(c) She’s never heard English.
(d) She’s never seen a white.
2. What does Bam mean when he notes that “women are cowards”?
(a) He means women choose to strike when men are at their weakest.
(b) He means women are weak.
(c) He means women are manipulative.
(d) He means women choose to strike when they are at their strongest.
3. What does July’s mother eventually do as she carries wood in Section 5?
(a) Crawl on the ground.
(b) Ask for help.
(c) Give up.
4. Why does Maureen not enter July’s hut?
(a) She doesn’t like July.
(b) She doesn’t want to intrude.
(c) She doesn’t want to see her stolen belongings.
(d) She thinks it would be improper.
5. What is Bam not aware of when he shows the gun to the villagers?
(a) They already know it exists.
(b) They don’t know what it is.
(c) They think it is a weapon against them.
(d) They don’t believe in guns.
6. What do Maureen and Bam fear their lives will become, as described in Section 1?
(a) Meaningless in their support of white power.
(b) Meaningless in their support of black rights.
(c) Meaningless in their support of white rights.
(d) Meaningless in their support of black power.
7. What does Maureen ask that puts July ill at ease in Section 5?
(a) About his relationship with Ellen.
(b) About his relationship with Royce.
(c) About his relationship with Bam.
(d) About his relationship with Martha.
8. What is surprising about the photo of Maureen and Lydia?
(a) They are holding hands.
(b) They are both black.
(c) They are both white.
(d) Their roles of servant and master are clear.
9. In Section 5, what does Maureen wonder about the town woman?
(a) Whether she loves July.
(b) Whether she has children.
(c) Whether she is married.
(d) Whether July loves her.
10. How does Maureen get the keys from July in Section 4?
(a) She tells him she doesn’t trust him.
(b) She tells him she wants to get the mats from the floor.
(c) She tells him she needs to go to town.
(d) She tells him Bam is angry.
11. What does July report in Section 4 about the towns?
(a) They are overpopulated.
(b) They are calming.
(c) They are still in flux with riots.
(d) They are evacuated.
12. Why does Bam know something has happened in Section 4?
(a) Maureen is rude.
(b) Maureen is nearly naked.
(c) Maureen is distant.
(d) Maureen is fully dressed.
13. In Seciton 4, what does July learn to do for himself?
(a) He learns to sing.
(b) He learns to cook.
(c) He learns to drive.
(d) He learns to sew.
14. What did Maureen’s father do for a living?
(a) He was a shift boss in the mines.
(b) He was a servant.
(c) He was an architect.
(d) He was a lawyer.
15. What does Maureen become aware of in Section 2 that she is ignorant of in this village?
(a) The date.
(b) The order of the day.
(c) Family traditions.
(d) The year.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 3, what has Maureen noticed about items in the village?
2. What is Bam’s profession?
3. Why do the blacks not kill the warthogs?
4. What does Maureen realize about herself when she bathes in Section 1?
5. What is Martha particularly concerned about regarding July's situation with the Smalls in Section 2?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)