|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does July’s son realize in Section 2, that the others do not?
(a) The whites are now powerless.
(b) The whites are now alone.
(c) They will eventually be caught.
(d) They no longer have money.
2. What did Maureen’s father do for a living?
(a) He was an architect.
(b) He was a lawyer.
(c) He was a servant.
(d) He was a shift boss in the mines.
3. What does Maureen send Royce to tell July in Section 5?
(a) That she wants him to come see her.
(b) That she is angry with him.
(c) That she wants him to go to town.
(d) That she wants her keys back.
4. What does Maureen become aware of in Section 2 that she is ignorant of in this village?
(a) The year.
(b) The order of the day.
(c) Family traditions.
(d) The date.
5. Why do Bam and Maureen continue to listen to the radio?
(a) They want to hear news of the uprisings.
(b) They want to hear the rebels’ political stance.
(c) They miss music.
(d) They want to hear their own language.
6. What is Martha particularly concerned about regarding July's situation with the Smalls in Section 2?
(a) He will run away.
(b) He will no longer be paid.
(c) He will not be happy.
(d) He will not be able to provide for the whites.
7. What do July’s daughters seem amazed at regarding July's situation in the city?
(a) July had a separate room to sleep.
(b) July had a car.
(c) July had a separate room to eat.
(d) July had a separate room to bathe.
8. What is understood by July's girlfriend in the city to be July’s responsibilities?
(a) His children in town.
(b) His children in various places.
(c) His employer.
(d) His children at home.
9. Why does July make Bam move the car in Section 1?
(a) He wants to use it for parts.
(b) He wants to steal it.
(c) He’s afraid it will be seen.
(d) He wants to sell it.
10. In Section 3, what has Maureen noticed about items in the village?
(a) They are expensive.
(b) They are stolen by July from her home.
(c) They are purchased by July.
(d) They are handmade.
11. What is Bam’s profession?
12. What does July claim in Section 5 that Maureen doesn’t like?
(a) Being away from home.
(b) That he keeps the car keys.
(c) Being dependent on him.
(d) That he isn’t waiting on her family.
13. What does Maureen believe about July as he addresses her and Bam in Section 4?
(a) That she is always who he is speaking to.
(b) That he is always speaking to Bam.
(c) That he sees them as inferior.
(d) That he sees them as equals.
14. Why is Bam really angry with July in Section 4?
(a) For his anger.
(b) For stealing their things.
(c) For his spite.
(d) For taking the car keys.
15. Who helps the Smalls escape their home at the beginning of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does July offer Maureen in terms of clothing?
2. What object does Bam not keep in his home?
3. What is July’s reaction to the medication his wife gave Maureen?
4. What color is the Smalls' bakkie?
5. Why does July's family have a difficult time understanding why he had to bring the Smalls?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)