|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 5, Pages 64-80.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maureen become aware of in Section 2 that she is ignorant of in this village?
(a) Family traditions.
(b) The year.
(c) The order of the day.
(d) The date.
2. What does Royce continue to ask to do in Section 3?
(a) Go to school.
(b) Eat meat.
(c) Go home.
(d) Go to movies.
3. What is happening politically, economically, and socially in the novel?
(a) Blacks are being sold as slaves.
(b) Whites are being sold as slaves.
(c) Democracy is being challenged.
(d) Apartheid is being challenged.
4. What does Maureen ask that puts July ill at ease in Section 5?
(a) About his relationship with Royce.
(b) About his relationship with Bam.
(c) About his relationship with Ellen.
(d) About his relationship with Martha.
5. What is the real reason Bam and Maureen do not leave South Africa?
(a) They do not want to leave family.
(b) They have nowhere to go.
(c) They do not want to move the children.
(d) They cannot get their money out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do both Maureen and Bam refuse from July at the beginning of the novel?
2. What is Martha particularly concerned about regarding July's situation with the Smalls in Section 2?
3. What does Maureen understand must be balanced in black affairs?
4. In Section 5, what does Maureen wonder about the town woman?
5. What does Bam do to try to reconcile after his argument with Maureen in Section 3?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)