|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 3, Pages 24-49.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maureen know July is lying about what his family says upon their first meeting?
(a) He doesn’t speak their language.
(b) They sound angry.
(c) They say more than he appears to translate.
(d) They don’t say anything, although he translates.
2. What is Martha particularly concerned about regarding July's situation with the Smalls in Section 2?
(a) He will run away.
(b) He will no longer be paid.
(c) He will not be able to provide for the whites.
(d) He will not be happy.
3. In Section 3, what has Maureen noticed about items in the village?
(a) They are expensive.
(b) They are handmade.
(c) They are purchased by July.
(d) They are stolen by July from her home.
4. Why can’t the Smalls fly overseas?
(a) The planes are broken.
(b) Rebels are shooting down the planes.
(c) They can’t reach the airport.
(d) The don’t have money.
5. What is Bam’s profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bam do for leisure in Section 3?
2. To whom is Maureen introduced in Section 2?
3. What does Bam mean when he notes that “women are cowards”?
4. What does July bring the Smalls at the beginning of the novel?
5. What do Maureen and Bam fear their lives will become, as described in Section 1?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)