|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 2, Pages 15-23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Maureen afraid of, in terms of the children and the water?
(c) It is too cold.
(d) It is too warm.
2. To whom is Maureen introduced in Section 2?
(a) July's brother.
(b) July's father.
(c) July’s children.
(d) July’s wife and mother.
3. What does July bring for Bam in Section 1?
(b) A car.
4. How does Maureen know July is lying about what his family says upon their first meeting?
(a) He doesn’t speak their language.
(b) They don’t say anything, although he translates.
(c) They sound angry.
(d) They say more than he appears to translate.
5. What does July’s wife experience for the first time when she meets Maureen?
(a) The meeting of a white woman.
(b) The touching of white skin.
(c) She’s never heard English.
(d) She’s never seen a white.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do both Maureen and Bam refuse from July at the beginning of the novel?
2. What did July’s mother give up for the Smalls?
3. When were July’s children conceived?
4. Why does the old woman become angry with July in Section 2?
5. Who used to visit Maureen in the yard with July?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)