|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 2, Pages 15-23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps the Smalls escape their home at the beginning of the novel?
2. What does Maureen become aware of in Section 2 that she is ignorant of in this village?
(a) The date.
(b) The year.
(c) The order of the day.
(d) Family traditions.
3. What is the real reason Bam and Maureen do not leave South Africa?
(a) They cannot get their money out.
(b) They do not want to leave family.
(c) They do not want to move the children.
(d) They have nowhere to go.
4. What did July’s mother give up for the Smalls?
(a) Her car.
(b) Her hut.
(c) Her stove.
(d) Her bed.
5. What do Maureen and Bam fear their lives will become, as described in Section 1?
(a) Meaningless in their support of black power.
(b) Meaningless in their support of white power.
(c) Meaningless in their support of white rights.
(d) Meaningless in their support of black rights.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises July’s wife about Maureen upon first meeting her?
2. Why does July make Bam move the car in Section 1?
3. What do July’s daughters seem amazed at regarding July's situation in the city?
4. What does July bring the Smalls at the beginning of the novel?
5. When were July’s children conceived?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)