|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julie make half of her drag into?
2. What does Julie decide to make a carving of on the night she does not travel?
3. Why is Miyax taken away from the seal camp?
4. Where does Julie put the bird she decides to rescue to keep it warm?
5. How does Julie feel about the old ways while she in on her journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julie do after Daniel confronts her?
2. What happened at the Bladder Feast?
3. Why does Pearl think Julie has been sent to Barrow?
4. How does Miyax use the cold to help her on her journey?
5. How does Miyax remember the sea from her childhood?
6. What does Martha say Kapugen did when his wife died?
7. What does Miyax do when she is being chased by a grizzly bear?
8. What do some men in town tease Daniel about?
9. What does Julie end up doing most of the time she is in Barrow?
10. What does Miyax find outside of her tent during a whiteout, and what does she do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellen was a minor character in this book who made a huge impact on the plot. How did she accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 2
Nature played a very tangible role in this book. What was this role, and how did it affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
There were many characters in this book who were manipulated and persuaded to do things they did not want to do. What were some of these instances, and how were those characters affected by the manipulation?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)