|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Julie hope to live on while running away?
2. How many entrances do normal wolf dens have?
3. Which of the following is NOT someone the wolf leaders would bring food to?
4. Which wolf is left to watch the pups while the others hunt?
5. What is Miyax's knife called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Miyax in the middle of the tundra at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Miyax do the night before she begins her journey?
3. What happens when Amaroq rips up Miyax's leather mitten?
4. How does Miyax protect her meat after she sees the first signs of winter approaching?
5. What kind of signs in nature did Miyax use in her home village?
6. Who is the leader of the wolf pack, and how does Miyax describe him?
7. What does Miyax hear one night after the first signs of winter appears, and what causes these sounds?
8. What does Kapu see that scares Miyax?
9. How do the subordinate wolves pay homage to the leader of the pack?
10. What is Miyax shocked to find with her caribou meat one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Acceptance is a strong theme in this book. Which characters present this theme, and how does it affect the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by the author. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)