|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Julie trying to learn at the beginning of the book?
(a) The ways of the birds.
(b) The sign of nature.
(c) The wind language.
(d) Wolf language.
2. Who has Julie run away from at the beginning of the book?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her teacher.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her father.
3. What does Miyax find in the owl's nest?
(b) A starving owlet.
(c) A store of lemmings.
(d) A frozen sandpiper.
4. How often did the puffins fly to sea during the day in Julie's village?
(a) Three times.
(d) Four times.
5. Why do the wolves not hunt in the morning after Miyax stays with them?
(a) Amaroq is sick.
(b) There is fog.
(c) They are full.
(d) It is snowing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Julie surprised about when the wolves come back from hunting?
2. What does the leader of the pack do to show that Julie is one of the pack?
3. How often does the animal population drop in the Arctic?
4. What is Julie careful never to do around the wolves?
5. What does Miyax consider a great treat while carving the caribou?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miyax intend to do when she gets to the ocean?
2. What happens when Amaroq rips up Miyax's leather mitten?
3. What does Miyax do when she hears a plane flying overhead?
4. What does Miyax see as her only hope in the tundra, and where did she get this idea?
5. How does Miyax protect her meat after she sees the first signs of winter approaching?
6. Who is the leader of the wolf pack, and how does Miyax describe him?
7. What did Miyax plan to eat while running away, and why did that not work for her?
8. What does Miyax do the night before she begins her journey?
9. Why is Miyax in the middle of the tundra at the beginning of the book?
10. How does Miyax respond to the shock she receives about her caribou meat?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)