|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Near Maiozamalcha, Julian and a small scouting party encounter:
(a) An arsenal.
(b) A eunuch.
(c) An ambush.
(d) A lion.
2. When Julian gives orders for the army to head north, it is a sign that they are headed:
(a) For defeat.
(b) Back to Rome.
(c) Towards Macedonia.
(d) Into Gaul.
3. The people of Antioch blame the famine on:
4. Julian's troops enter Persia and make camp at this river:
(a) The Nile River.
(b) The Jordan River.
(c) The Euphrates River.
(d) The Tigris River.
5. When Libanius is refused permission to publish the Julian manuscript, his reaction is:
(a) He takes out some details to make the manuscript more acceptable.
(b) He publishes the manuscript secretly.
(c) He changes the title and the names of some of the characters.
(d) He is extremely disappointed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Just a few miles from the Tigris River, Julian declares a brief respite from the fighting to:
2. Julian claims to support religious freedom, but he clearly favors:
3. Libanius seeks to secure ______ for Cimon for many years.
4. Maximus claims to tell about the location and manner of Julian's death by:
5. When the senate does not ratify and obey his edict, Julian:
Short Essay Questions
1. Julian travels overland to Antioch stopping in various towns along the way. What reason does he give for the journey and what does Julian hope to accomplish by visiting the towns en route?
2. Several things happen that suggest to Julian that his death may be imminent. Cite some of these occurrences. What does Julian think about these incidents and how does he react?
3. How does Julian deal with the famine in Antioch?
4. How does Julian react when the signs and messages from the deities are not what he wants to hear?
5. Describe Julian's lifestyle after he becomes Augustus.
6. What happens when Julian's army encounters the Persian army near Ctesiphon? What orders does Julian give? How does he act in front of the troops? What do you think is actually going on in his mind?
7. What happens during the year of the famine in Antioch? Who is responsible for the famine? Who is blamed?
8. Describe the incidence of Helena's death.
9. Julian may have a sense that he is becoming drunk with power and losing touch with real people and real issues. Describe the incident at the baths that illustrates his awareness.
10. What is Constantius' response when Julian is acclaimed Augustus by the people? What does he do? How do you think he feels?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)