|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After reading through Tolkien's completed manuscripts, what did Unwin do?
2. To whom did Tolkien send the manuscript?
3. In addition to returning to his great English mythology, Tolkien was also the recipient of what?
4. Allen and Unwin began to negotiate deals for what?
5. After Edith died, to where did Tolkien move?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Tolkien's relationship with Lewis deteriorate even further?
2. Describe one of the great mysteries about The Hobbit.
3. How did Tolkien feel about having Allen and Unwin publish THE LORD OF THE RINGS? Why?
4. What new deal did Unwin propose to Tolkien?
5. How did Tolkien feel as the time drew nearer for the book to be published?
6. Why was it recommended that Tolkien finish THE HOBBIT?
7. What do Stanley Unwin and Ronald Tolkien think of one another?
8. How did Edith die?
9. Describe the first book review for THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
10. How did the money Tolkien made from this book affect him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ronald falls in love with Edith Bratt.
Part 1) Who is Edith Bratt? How does Ronald meet her? What attracts him to her?
Part 2) How does his love and relationship with Edith resemble his parent's relationship? What do his intense feelings for Edith reveal about him as a person?
Part 3) How does his relationship with Edith change over time? What causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
After another tour of duty, Tolkien returns to Oxford and moves his family to Leeds.
Part 1) How does this affect the Tolkien's lives? Is this a good change in the Tolkien's lives? Why or why not?
Part 2) What role does the Viking Club play in Ronald's life? How might this have affected his family life? Why?
Part 3) How did this time at Oxford aid Tolkien in creating his language and preparing to write the books that would make him wealthy and famous?
Essay Topic 3
World War II changes Tolkien's life?
Part 1) How does World War II change Tolkien's life? How do these changes compare to those that took place during and after World War I?
Part 2) How might similar changes have taken place all over Great Britain and elsewhere in the world? How might the affects of war influenced Tolkien in the writing of his books?
Part 3) How has war changed your own life? How might war influence your own creative ventures?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)