|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The war made things difficult for everyone in Europe and the Tolkiens often took in lodgers and also raised hens for what reason?
2. In writing THE LORD OF THE RINGS Tolkien became frustrated and did not know what?
3. What happened when Oxford finally took notice of the book?
4. Why was there a considerable problem with an American company?
5. What other plan of Tolkien's also had to be put aside?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Tolkien's relationship with Lewis deteriorate even further?
2. What happened when the money began pouring in?
3. What did Tolkien do when he became eager to cut ties with his publishers? How did they react?
4. How did Tolkien's personality and feelings begin to change at this time? What might have caused this?
5. Why was the story of THE HOBBIT written?
6. What did Ronald do soon after Edith's death?
7. Why was it recommended that Tolkien finish THE HOBBIT?
8. How was Edith feeling at this point? What helped her live out the end of her life in some peace and comfort?
9. Of what did Lewis warn Tolkien?
10. How did the money Tolkien made from this book affect him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A myriad of photographs were taken of and by the Tolkien family.
Part 1) What does the author say about these photographs? Why are these photographs useful to the writing of this book?
Part 2) What do the photographs reveal about the Tolkien family life and interests? How does their family life compare to your own?
Part 3) What do these photographs reveal about Tolkien himself? How does this reveal about the connection between Tolkien and the characters he creates, as well as the stories he tells?
Essay Topic 2
World War I greatly affects Tolkien.
Part 1) What happens during this war to affect Tolkien and his family? How might this compare to how the war affected others throughout the world?
Part 2) How might the events surrounding World War I have influenced Tolkien's work? Explain. How might the war have affected other aspects of life during this time? How might these changes in everyday life have had an influence on Tolkien's work?
Part 3) How has this war affected us today? How different would our world be if World War I had never occurred?
Essay Topic 3
World War II changes Tolkien's life?
Part 1) How does World War II change Tolkien's life? How do these changes compare to those that took place during and after World War I?
Part 2) How might similar changes have taken place all over Great Britain and elsewhere in the world? How might the affects of war influenced Tolkien in the writing of his books?
Part 3) How has war changed your own life? How might war influence your own creative ventures?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)