|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Tolkiens hope would give them some relief from the almost constant and intolerable flow of visitors, mail, and gifts that were always present in Headington?
2. Regardless of how The Hobbit is viewed, it was intended to be what?
3. What type of comments did Tolkien make to Stanley Unwin?
4. What happened when Tolkien's fans rose up against this company?
5. After reading through Tolkien's completed manuscripts, what did Unwin do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events took place regarding Tolkien's fame?
2. What did Ronald do soon after Edith's death?
3. Describe Edith regaining of good spirits.
4. Describe one of the great mysteries about The Hobbit.
5. Why was it recommended that Tolkien finish THE HOBBIT?
6. Why was the publication of THE HOBBIT quite a learning experience?
7. What do Stanley Unwin and Ronald Tolkien think of one another?
8. What ended Tolkien's focus on the new book and his Oxford professorship?
9. How did Tolkien feel about splitting the book into three volumes? Upon what did he insist?
10. How was Edith feeling at this point? What helped her live out the end of her life in some peace and comfort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A myriad of photographs were taken of and by the Tolkien family.
Part 1) What does the author say about these photographs? Why are these photographs useful to the writing of this book?
Part 2) What do the photographs reveal about the Tolkien family life and interests? How does their family life compare to your own?
Part 3) What do these photographs reveal about Tolkien himself? How does this reveal about the connection between Tolkien and the characters he creates, as well as the stories he tells?
Essay Topic 2
Challenges exist in the creation of THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
Part 1) Describe the creation of THE LORD OF THE RINGS. What was challenged about this?
Part 2) How are these challenges foreshadowed earlier in the book? How do these challenges both help and hurt Tolkien and his work?
Part 3) What do these challenges and obstacles reinforce, as well as reveal about Tolkien?
Essay Topic 3
World War II changes Tolkien's life?
Part 1) How does World War II change Tolkien's life? How do these changes compare to those that took place during and after World War I?
Part 2) How might similar changes have taken place all over Great Britain and elsewhere in the world? How might the affects of war influenced Tolkien in the writing of his books?
Part 3) How has war changed your own life? How might war influence your own creative ventures?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)