|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rayner Unwin wanted Tolkien to send THE LORD OF THE RINGS posthaste. Why was Tolkien reluctant?
2. Why was Bournemouth a strange choice for holidays?
3. What was the place Tolkien had always considered to be his true home?
4. Allen and Unwin began to negotiate deals for what?
5. Carpenter refers to Bournemouth as being the anemic English equivalent to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe one of the great mysteries about The Hobbit.
2. Why did Ronald become frustrated with THE LORD OF THE RINGS? What did he say about this story?
3. What new deal did Unwin propose to Tolkien?
4. What does Unwin do with all of Tolkien's completed manuscripts? Why?
5. How did Tolkien feel about splitting the book into three volumes? Upon what did he insist?
6. How did the money Tolkien made from this book affect him?
7. How did Tolkien feel about having Allen and Unwin publish THE LORD OF THE RINGS? Why?
8. What did Tolkien think about writing a sequel to THE HOBBIT? Why? What was his plan for the sequel?
9. What did Ronald do soon after Edith's death?
10. About what did Tolkien write to his son, Christopher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tolkien and his work become overnight sensations.
Part 1) How does this occur? What events have led to this success? Was this type of success predicted earlier in his life? Explain.
Part 2) Describe the type of behavior displayed by those interested in Tolkien and his work. What does this reveal about these Tolkien fans? How does Tolkien feel about this kind of attention? How does it affect him?
Part 3) How might Tolkien's fame and life after he and his work became part of pop culture reflect the lives of celebrities today? How might this explain the struggles faced by celebrities today? How would you feel if you had been Tolkien? How might this fame have affected you?
Essay Topic 2
World War I greatly affects Tolkien.
Part 1) What happens during this war to affect Tolkien and his family? How might this compare to how the war affected others throughout the world?
Part 2) How might the events surrounding World War I have influenced Tolkien's work? Explain. How might the war have affected other aspects of life during this time? How might these changes in everyday life have had an influence on Tolkien's work?
Part 3) How has this war affected us today? How different would our world be if World War I had never occurred?
Essay Topic 3
Ronald falls in love with Edith Bratt.
Part 1) Who is Edith Bratt? How does Ronald meet her? What attracts him to her?
Part 2) How does his love and relationship with Edith resemble his parent's relationship? What do his intense feelings for Edith reveal about him as a person?
Part 3) How does his relationship with Edith change over time? What causes these changes?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)