|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Tolkien not sure he wanted to publish his book?
2. What type of comments did Tolkien make to Stanley Unwin?
3. Why did the maps have to be redrawn?
4. Who often retired to Bournemouth?
5. Where did Priscilla remain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the money Tolkien made from this book affect him?
2. How is Ronald like Bilbo Baggins?
3. Why was the story of THE HOBBIT written?
4. How did Tolkien feel about having Allen and Unwin publish THE LORD OF THE RINGS? Why?
5. How did Edith die?
6. What do Stanley Unwin and Ronald Tolkien think of one another?
7. About what did Tolkien write to his son, Christopher?
8. Describe one of the great mysteries about The Hobbit.
9. What happened when the money began pouring in?
10. Why was it recommended that Tolkien finish THE HOBBIT?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
World War II changes Tolkien's life?
Part 1) How does World War II change Tolkien's life? How do these changes compare to those that took place during and after World War I?
Part 2) How might similar changes have taken place all over Great Britain and elsewhere in the world? How might the affects of war influenced Tolkien in the writing of his books?
Part 3) How has war changed your own life? How might war influence your own creative ventures?
Essay Topic 2
Ronald and Edith eventually marry.
Part 1) How do these two reunite after being separated by their guardians? What had been the reason for this separation? Was it beneficial to both Edith and Ronald? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why do these two decide to wed? Should they have married each other? Why or why not?
Part 3) Describe their married life. Is this a happy marriage? Why or why not? Would you say it was a successful marriage? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Tolkien desired to create a new language.
Part 1) Why did he desire to do this? How was this evident from a young age?
Part 2) What language or languages does he create? How are these languages created? What purpose do these language serve?
Part 3) How does the creation of language lead to Tolkien writing stories? How is language important in Tolkien's stories?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)