|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1924, Edith gave birth to a third son, Christopher Reuel, named after whom?
2. Ronald spent his final year at King Edward's deeply involved in what?
3. As Ronald and Edith's wedding drew nearer, what became a concern?
4. Ronald was adamant that Edith become what?
5. Carpenter meets Edith. How does he describe her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What became a concern for Ronald and Edith, prior to their wedding?
2. Who was the Tolkiens' second son when was he born?
3. When does Mabel arrive in South Africa? What takes place at the time of their wedding?
4. What does Ronald do without Edith in his life?
5. What happens when Mabel and the boys return to England for a visit?
6. Why does Mabel plan a trip to England? Why is the trip postponed?
7. How do both Mabel and Arthur feel about returning to England?
8. Why is Ronald allowed to contact Edith? What did Ronald learn about Edith?
9. Why is Arthur Tolkien in South Africa?
10. What happened in January of 1913?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A myriad of photographs were taken of and by the Tolkien family.
Part 1) What does the author say about these photographs? Why are these photographs useful to the writing of this book?
Part 2) What do the photographs reveal about the Tolkien family life and interests? How does their family life compare to your own?
Part 3) What do these photographs reveal about Tolkien himself? How does this reveal about the connection between Tolkien and the characters he creates, as well as the stories he tells?
Essay Topic 2
Ronald falls in love with Edith Bratt.
Part 1) Who is Edith Bratt? How does Ronald meet her? What attracts him to her?
Part 2) How does his love and relationship with Edith resemble his parent's relationship? What do his intense feelings for Edith reveal about him as a person?
Part 3) How does his relationship with Edith change over time? What causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
By and large, Edith was unhappy when Ronald was immersed in his work at Oxford.
Part 1) Why does this unhappiness occur? How does Edith deal with this unhappiness? What does this reveal about her?
Part 2) How does her early life with Ronald compare to her life throughout their marriage? What role does Ronald play in her unhappiness? Is he entirely to blame? Why or why not?
Part 3) Should they have married? Why or why not? Would they have still married if they had known their marriage would be as it was? Why or why not?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)