|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what was Tolkien known, regarding his personality?
2. Without Edith, Ronald focused his entire life around what?
3. Until the late 1800s, at what university were most of the college fellows required to take holy vows and not permitted to marry?
4. Ronald received medical care, but never got any better. What happened next?
5. Why was Ronald eager to please Father Francis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do both Mabel and Arthur feel about returning to England?
2. Why did Edith live away from Ronald for a period of time?
3. For how long has Mabel Suffield been engaged to Arthur Tolkien? Why could she not marry him earlier?
4. What became a concern for Ronald and Edith, prior to their wedding?
5. Why is Ronald allowed to contact Edith? What did Ronald learn about Edith?
6. How do many people question Tolkien in regards to his mythology and devout Catholic faith? What is Tolkien's response?
7. What happens during the summer of 1914?
8. What did G.B. Smith's words, "May you say the things I have tried to say long after I am not there to say them," do for Ronald?
9. Why does Mabel plan a trip to England? Why is the trip postponed?
10. Who was the Tolkiens' second son when was he born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
World War I greatly affects Tolkien.
Part 1) What happens during this war to affect Tolkien and his family? How might this compare to how the war affected others throughout the world?
Part 2) How might the events surrounding World War I have influenced Tolkien's work? Explain. How might the war have affected other aspects of life during this time? How might these changes in everyday life have had an influence on Tolkien's work?
Part 3) How has this war affected us today? How different would our world be if World War I had never occurred?
Essay Topic 2
Challenges exist in the creation of THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
Part 1) Describe the creation of THE LORD OF THE RINGS. What was challenged about this?
Part 2) How are these challenges foreshadowed earlier in the book? How do these challenges both help and hurt Tolkien and his work?
Part 3) What do these challenges and obstacles reinforce, as well as reveal about Tolkien?
Essay Topic 3
Tolkien and his work become overnight sensations.
Part 1) How does this occur? What events have led to this success? Was this type of success predicted earlier in his life? Explain.
Part 2) Describe the type of behavior displayed by those interested in Tolkien and his work. What does this reveal about these Tolkien fans? How does Tolkien feel about this kind of attention? How does it affect him?
Part 3) How might Tolkien's fame and life after he and his work became part of pop culture reflect the lives of celebrities today? How might this explain the struggles faced by celebrities today? How would you feel if you had been Tolkien? How might this fame have affected you?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)