|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ronald returned to his studies only to find that he had fallen behind and had to cram six weeks of work into a short period of time in order to complete the course. In what place did he come?
2. What does Mabel think of Bloemfontein?
3. Who introduced "non-clerical fellowships" that effectively eliminated a vow of celibacy?
4. Together Gordon and Tolkien formed what?
5. Members of Exeter College saw great promise in the student and suggested that Ronald become what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Edith feel when Ronald was called back to duty?
2. Why is Arthur Tolkien in South Africa?
3. How do many people question Tolkien in regards to his mythology and devout Catholic faith? What is Tolkien's response?
4. How does Father Francis feel about Ronald's engagement to Edith?
5. What did members of Exeter College think of Ronald when he came in second place?
6. How does Ronald spend his final year at King Edward's?
7. What does Ronald do without Edith in his life?
8. Why is Ronald allowed to contact Edith? What did Ronald learn about Edith?
9. What did Tolkien create with Eric Valentine Gordon?
10. What does Ronald think of Exeter College?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A myriad of photographs were taken of and by the Tolkien family.
Part 1) What does the author say about these photographs? Why are these photographs useful to the writing of this book?
Part 2) What do the photographs reveal about the Tolkien family life and interests? How does their family life compare to your own?
Part 3) What do these photographs reveal about Tolkien himself? How does this reveal about the connection between Tolkien and the characters he creates, as well as the stories he tells?
Essay Topic 2
The story of THE HOBBIT is based on Tolkien's life.
Part 1) Describe THE HOBBIT. How is it based on Tolkien?
Part 2) Why does Tolkien use himself and his life when creating his work? How is Tolkien's life, personality, and character found in his other work?
Part 3) What aspects of your own life and character would you incorporate into a story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
By and large, Edith was unhappy when Ronald was immersed in his work at Oxford.
Part 1) Why does this unhappiness occur? How does Edith deal with this unhappiness? What does this reveal about her?
Part 2) How does her early life with Ronald compare to her life throughout their marriage? What role does Ronald play in her unhappiness? Is he entirely to blame? Why or why not?
Part 3) Should they have married? Why or why not? Would they have still married if they had known their marriage would be as it was? Why or why not?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)