|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Christopher recovered from his ailment, returned to school and eventually did what?
(a) Went to Harvard.
(b) Went to Trinity College.
(c) Went to Cambridge.
(d) Went to Oxford.
2. Tolkien sold the original manuscripts of his published works to what university?
(a) University of Michigan.
(b) Marquette University.
(c) Michigan State University.
(d) Eastern Michigan University.
3. Rayner Unwin wanted Tolkien to send THE LORD OF THE RINGS posthaste. Why was Tolkien reluctant?
(a) He could not find an extra copy of the book.
(b) There was only one copy in existence.
(c) He did not have a written copy of the book.
(d) He did not trust Rayne.
4. Eventually, Tolkien told his publisher that he was "forgetting about children." Why?
(a) Children no longer liked his work.
(b) He was annoyed by his own children.
(c) He was tired of writing for children.
(d) The new story was becoming frightening and was perhaps unsuitable for young minds.
5. After reading through Tolkien's completed manuscripts, what did Unwin do?
(a) He chose most of them to be published.
(b) He threw them away.
(c) He rejected all of them in favor of another book written as a sequel to The Hobbit.
(d) He chose a few of them to publish.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Unwin respond when Tolkien offered him an ultimatum?
2. What did the Tolkiens hope would give them some relief from the almost constant and intolerable flow of visitors, mail, and gifts that were always present in Headington?
3. What is one of the great mysteries about THE HOBBIT?
4. Tolkien wrote to Stanley Unwin to tell him what?
5. Why was the publication of THE HOBBIT quite a learning experience for Tolkien?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ended Tolkien's focus on the new book and his Oxford professorship?
2. What events took place regarding Tolkien's fame?
3. What did Tolkien think about writing a sequel to THE HOBBIT? Why? What was his plan for the sequel?
4. What happened when Oxford took notice of the book?
5. What happened when the money began pouring in?
6. Why did Ronald become frustrated with THE LORD OF THE RINGS? What did he say about this story?
7. What does Unwin do with all of Tolkien's completed manuscripts? Why?
8. Describe one of the great mysteries about The Hobbit.
9. Why was it recommended that Tolkien finish THE HOBBIT?
10. What did Ronald do soon after Edith's death?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)