|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Christopher recovered from his ailment, returned to school and eventually did what?
(a) Went to Trinity College.
(b) Went to Harvard.
(c) Went to Cambridge.
(d) Went to Oxford.
2. Tolkien insisted on drawing maps for what purpose?
(a) In order to help the reader visualize the story.
(b) In order to make the book more unique.
(c) In order to express himself artistically.
(d) In order to help the story move along so that every detail would fit in perfectly.
3. Several years of delays and mishaps occurred until in ________ when Tolkien gave up on Collins and went back to Allen and Unwin.
4. The battle with the publishing company made Tolkien and his work what?
(d) Overnight sensations.
5. What other plan of Tolkien's also had to be put aside?
(a) The author's plan to have life size maps.
(b) The author's plan to have removable maps.
(c) The author's plan for having invisible lettering on the maps.
(d) The author's plan to create a map for each page.
Short Answer Questions
1. In many ways, Bilbo Baggins is who?
2. What was the place Tolkien had always considered to be his true home?
3. Why did the maps have to be redrawn?
4. The first book review was written by whom?
5. How was Tolkien doing at Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what did Lewis warn Tolkien?
2. What ended Tolkien's focus on the new book and his Oxford professorship?
3. What did Tolkien do when he became eager to cut ties with his publishers? How did they react?
4. How did Tolkien's personality and feelings begin to change at this time? What might have caused this?
5. Describe the first book review for THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
6. Why did Tolkien's relationship with Lewis deteriorate even further?
7. Why did Ronald become frustrated with THE LORD OF THE RINGS? What did he say about this story?
8. What did Ronald do soon after Edith's death?
9. How is Ronald like Bilbo Baggins?
10. Is this deal a good idea for Tolkien? Why or why not?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)