|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ever since THE SILMARILLION was rejected in 1937 Tolkien was desperate to do what?
(a) Have it published.
(b) Rework it.
(c) Find it.
(d) Forget he wrote it.
2. After Edith died, what did Tolkien do to keep busy?
(a) He took up new hobbies.
(b) He worked hard.
(c) He played with his grandchildren.
(d) He wrote long letters.
3. There were many requests for Tolkien to be a professor __________.
(a) of English.
(c) of Honor.
4. What grave mistake did Stanley Unwin make?
(a) He sent a copy of his son's letter to Tolkien
(b) He ignored Tolkien.
(c) He did not tell Tolkien of his son's idea.
(d) He teased Tolkien.
5. What is one of the great mysteries about THE HOBBIT?
(a) No one knows where Tolkien's ideas came from.
(b) No one is quite sure when the book was started.
(c) No one knows who actually wrote it.
(d) No one is quite sure if the story was ever completed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bilbo Baggins is the son of who?
2. People began to call when?
3. Tolkien was unhappy about splitting the work into three volumes and insisted on what?
4. The Hobbit had been abandoned until a student of Tolkien's mentioned it to whom?
5. The delay in Tolkien's next installment of books could be blamed in part on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tolkien feel as the time drew nearer for the book to be published?
2. What ended Tolkien's focus on the new book and his Oxford professorship?
3. How did Tolkien feel when C.S. Lewis died? Why did he feel this way?
4. What do Stanley Unwin and Ronald Tolkien think of one another?
5. Is this deal a good idea for Tolkien? Why or why not?
6. Why did Tolkien's relationship with Lewis deteriorate even further?
7. What did Tolkien do when he became eager to cut ties with his publishers? How did they react?
8. What happened when the money began pouring in?
9. What happened when Oxford took notice of the book?
10. Why was the story of THE HOBBIT written?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)