|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Did Tolkien believe that the work was flawless?
2. While Tolkien stood to make more money, what did it also mean?
(a) He would have to pay more money.
(b) He would have to pay Unwin more money at the end.
(c) He would not see any money until the cost of the book production was covered.
(d) He would be harrassed by other publishing houses.
3. After Edith died, what did Tolkien do to keep busy?
(a) He played with his grandchildren.
(b) He took up new hobbies.
(c) He worked hard.
(d) He wrote long letters.
4. Tolkien sold the original manuscripts of his published works to what university?
(a) Michigan State University.
(b) University of Michigan.
(c) Eastern Michigan University.
(d) Marquette University.
5. As the time drew near for the book to be published of what was Tolkien afraid?
(a) His friends.
(b) His book.
(c) The critics' reaction.
(d) His publisher.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of Tolkien's attention was split between the new book along and the Oxford professorship until what happened?
2. To where did the Tolkiens move?
3. When did Edith Bratt Tolkien die?
4. From what did Tolkien's depression prevent him?
5. How was Tolkien doing at Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tolkien's personality and feelings begin to change at this time? What might have caused this?
2. Describe the first book review for THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
3. What new deal did Unwin propose to Tolkien?
4. What events took place regarding Tolkien's fame?
5. How did Tolkien feel about splitting the book into three volumes? Upon what did he insist?
6. What happened when the money began pouring in?
7. Why was it recommended that Tolkien finish THE HOBBIT?
8. How was Edith feeling at this point? What helped her live out the end of her life in some peace and comfort?
9. Describe one of the great mysteries about The Hobbit.
10. How did the money Tolkien made from this book affect him?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)