|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Priscilla remain?
(a) At home.
(b) At school.
(c) In a hospital.
(d) In the States.
2. How does Tolkien feel about his fame?
(a) It embarrasses him.
(b) It worries him.
(c) He enjoys it.
(d) It greatly puzzles him.
3. From what did Tolkien's depression prevent him?
(c) Going out with friends.
(d) Talking to Edith.
4. While Tolkien stood to make more money, what did it also mean?
(a) He would not see any money until the cost of the book production was covered.
(b) He would have to pay Unwin more money at the end.
(c) He would be harrassed by other publishing houses.
(d) He would have to pay more money.
5. John moved to Rome to do what?
(a) Marry his fiancee.
(b) Study for the Catholic priesthood.
(c) Study art.
(d) Meet the Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ever since THE SILMARILLION was rejected in 1937 Tolkien was desperate to do what?
2. After Edith died, what did Tolkien do to keep busy?
3. To where did the Tolkiens move?
4. The money began pouring in and soon Tolkien was worried about what?
5. The story of THE HOBBIT was written for what purpose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the story of THE HOBBIT written?
2. What did Ronald do soon after Edith's death?
3. Describe the first book review for THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
4. What new deal did Unwin propose to Tolkien?
5. How did Edith die?
6. Of what did Lewis warn Tolkien?
7. How did the money Tolkien made from this book affect him?
8. How is Ronald like Bilbo Baggins?
9. How did Tolkien feel about splitting the book into three volumes? Upon what did he insist?
10. How did Tolkien's personality and feelings begin to change at this time? What might have caused this?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)