|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Tolkien angry with his publishers?
(a) For the lack of publicity for one of the recent books.
(b) They do not seem to care about his work.
(c) They are lazy and unorganized.
(d) He never received his money on time.
2. All of Tolkien's attention was split between the new book along and the Oxford professorship until what happened?
(a) Christopher was diagnosed with a mysterious heart ailment.
(b) Christopher was diagnosed with a mysterious liver ailment.
(c) Christopher was diagnosed with a mysterious kidney ailment.
(d) Christopher was diagnosed with a mysterious lung ailment.
3. Living in Bournemouth had what kind of an effect on Edith?
(a) A mild effect.
(b) An unusual effect.
(c) A poor effect.
(d) A good effect.
4. When did Tolkien finish the manuscript?
5. Why was there a considerable problem with an American company?
(a) It reprinted the saga incorrectly.
(b) It reprinted the saga without permission.
(c) It refused to pay royaltiesto Tolkien.
(d) It refused to reprint the saga.
Short Answer Questions
1. Several years of delays and mishaps occurred until in ________ when Tolkien gave up on Collins and went back to Allen and Unwin.
2. How was Tolkien doing at Oxford?
3. The war hit in what year?
4. Letters and cards from fans started pouring in by the __________ and Tolkien soon found himself completely overwhelmed.
5. Oddly enough, who did Edith befriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tolkien feel as the time drew nearer for the book to be published?
2. Describe Edith regaining of good spirits.
3. Why was the publication of THE HOBBIT quite a learning experience?
4. How did Tolkien feel about having Allen and Unwin publish THE LORD OF THE RINGS? Why?
5. About what did Tolkien write to his son, Christopher?
6. What new deal did Unwin propose to Tolkien?
7. What happened when the money began pouring in?
8. How did Tolkien feel when C.S. Lewis died? Why did he feel this way?
9. What did Tolkien think about writing a sequel to THE HOBBIT? Why? What was his plan for the sequel?
10. Describe the first book review for THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)