|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Tolkien angry with his publishers?
(a) He never received his money on time.
(b) For the lack of publicity for one of the recent books.
(c) They are lazy and unorganized.
(d) They do not seem to care about his work.
2. What type of comments did Tolkien make to Stanley Unwin?
(a) Those that he felt would anger Unwin.
(b) Those that he felt would deter Unwin from publishing the book.
(c) Those that he felt would embarrass Unwin.
(d) Those that he felt would encourage Unwin to publish both books.
3. Ever since THE SILMARILLION was rejected in 1937 Tolkien was desperate to do what?
(a) Have it published.
(b) Forget he wrote it.
(c) Find it.
(d) Rework it.
4. The delay in Tolkien's next installment of books could be blamed in part on what?
(a) The war.
(b) His ill health.
(c) His family concerns.
(d) The man's perfectionism.
5. The money was coming in and Tolkien found that he would not have to do what?
(a) Pay another bill.
(b) Worry about funds ever again.
(c) Write again.
(d) Publish another book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tolkien insisted on drawing maps for what purpose?
2. Allen and Unwin began to negotiate deals for what?
3. When C.S. Lewis died in 1963, how did Tolkien feel?
4. Bilbo Baggins is the son of who?
5. Who looked after Tolkien after his return to Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the publication of THE HOBBIT quite a learning experience?
2. Why did Ronald become frustrated with THE LORD OF THE RINGS? What did he say about this story?
3. How did Tolkien feel when C.S. Lewis died? Why did he feel this way?
4. How was Edith feeling at this point? What helped her live out the end of her life in some peace and comfort?
5. Why did Tolkien's relationship with Lewis deteriorate even further?
6. Why was it recommended that Tolkien finish THE HOBBIT?
7. Why was the story of THE HOBBIT written?
8. Is this deal a good idea for Tolkien? Why or why not?
9. How did Tolkien feel about having Allen and Unwin publish THE LORD OF THE RINGS? Why?
10. Of what did Lewis warn Tolkien?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)