|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom did Tolkien send the manuscript?
(b) T.S. Eliot.
(c) C.S. Lewis.
2. What did Tolkien think of the awards and accolades he received?
3. This company eventually apologized to Tolkien and offered to do what?
(a) Collect all the books they had sold.
(b) Pay a fine.
(c) Give him their extra copies.
(d) Pay him royalties on volumes sold.
4. Tolkien said Unwin looked a lot like who?
(a) One of his coworkers.
(b) One of his dwarves.
(c) One of his children.
(d) One of his students.
5. How did this critic respond to Tolkien's work?
(a) With both criticism and accolades.
(b) There was no response.
(c) With many accolades.
(d) With much criticism.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the story of THE HOBBIT moved along, some of what crept in?
2. People began to call when?
3. When C.S. Lewis died in 1963, how did Tolkien feel?
4. Why did some of the maps have to be reconstructed?
5. As the time drew near for the book to be published of what was Tolkien afraid?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tolkien feel about splitting the book into three volumes? Upon what did he insist?
2. What ended Tolkien's focus on the new book and his Oxford professorship?
3. Describe Edith regaining of good spirits.
4. How did Tolkien's personality and feelings begin to change at this time? What might have caused this?
5. How did Tolkien feel when C.S. Lewis died? Why did he feel this way?
6. Why did Ronald become frustrated with THE LORD OF THE RINGS? What did he say about this story?
7. What new deal did Unwin propose to Tolkien?
8. What happened when the money began pouring in?
9. How did Edith die?
10. What did Tolkien do when he became eager to cut ties with his publishers? How did they react?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)