|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to returning to his great English mythology, Tolkien was also the recipient of what?
(a) Great wealth.
(b) Many new friends.
(c) New writing assignments.
(d) A great number of awards.
2. As the time drew near for the book to be published of what was Tolkien afraid?
(a) His friends.
(b) His publisher.
(c) The critics' reaction.
(d) His book.
3. After Edith died, what did Tolkien do to keep busy?
(a) He worked hard.
(b) He wrote long letters.
(c) He took up new hobbies.
(d) He played with his grandchildren.
4. Edith was expected to have what, regarding her illness?
(a) A temporary recovery.
(b) A full recovery.
(c) A partial recovery.
(d) No recovery.
5. In 1952, Rayner Unwin proposed a new deal to Tolkien for THE LORD OF THE RINGS. What was this deal?
(a) Tolkien could choose how much of a profit he wanted to make.
(b) Tolkien would receive a traditional contract with royalty payments.
(c) Tolkien would be contracted in a profit-sharing agreement.
(d) Tolkien would receive all of the profits from the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. There were many requests for Tolkien to be a professor __________.
2. The review praised the work which was what?
3. How did Stanley Unwin surprise Tolkien?
4. Why was Bournemouth a strange choice for holidays?
5. How does Tolkien feel about his fame?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Tolkien think about writing a sequel to THE HOBBIT? Why? What was his plan for the sequel?
2. Describe the first book review for THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
3. How is Ronald like Bilbo Baggins?
4. Why was the story of THE HOBBIT written?
5. What new deal did Unwin propose to Tolkien?
6. What does Unwin do with all of Tolkien's completed manuscripts? Why?
7. How did Tolkien feel when C.S. Lewis died? Why did he feel this way?
8. Why was it recommended that Tolkien finish THE HOBBIT?
9. How did the money Tolkien made from this book affect him?
10. What ended Tolkien's focus on the new book and his Oxford professorship?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)