|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tolkien was unhappy about splitting the work into three volumes and insisted on what?
(a) Maintaining the title THE LORD OF THE RINGS for the entire series.
(b) Naming each book something different.
(c) Keeping the book as one.
(d) Binding and selling the three volumes together.
2. To where did the Tolkiens move?
(b) New York.
3. The woman took the typescript, read it and then did what with it?
(a) Sent it back to Tolkien.
(b) Published it.
(c) Recommended it to the publishers.
(d) Threw it away.
4. The review praised the work which was what?
(a) A disaster.
(b) A nuisance.
(c) A blessing.
(d) A mixed blessing.
5. When did Edith Bratt Tolkien die?
(a) November 29, 1981.
(b) November 29, 1971.
(c) November 29, 1975.
(d) November 29, 1969.
Short Answer Questions
1. Edith was expected to have what, regarding her illness?
2. Christopher recovered from his ailment, returned to school and eventually did what?
3. Tolkien began to find that people were confusing what?
4. There were many requests for Tolkien to be a professor __________.
5. Why was Tolkien angry with his publishers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Edith die?
2. How did the money Tolkien made from this book affect him?
3. How did Tolkien feel about having Allen and Unwin publish THE LORD OF THE RINGS? Why?
4. What happened when the money began pouring in?
5. What happened when Oxford took notice of the book?
6. Is this deal a good idea for Tolkien? Why or why not?
7. What did Ronald do soon after Edith's death?
8. What did Tolkien do when he became eager to cut ties with his publishers? How did they react?
9. Why was the story of THE HOBBIT written?
10. What ended Tolkien's focus on the new book and his Oxford professorship?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)