|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the time drew near for the book to be published of what was Tolkien afraid?
(a) His friends.
(b) The critics' reaction.
(c) His publisher.
(d) His book.
2. What happened when Tolkien's fans rose up against this company?
(a) The company paid Unwin.
(b) The company gave all the unsold books to Tolkien.
(c) The infringement ended up being a blessing in disguise.
(d) The company filed bankruptcy.
3. Living in Bournemouth had what kind of an effect on Edith?
(a) A poor effect.
(b) An unusual effect.
(c) A good effect.
(d) A mild effect.
4. Why was Bournemouth a strange choice for holidays?
(a) It is a very hot and humid location.
(b) Tolkien had never been there.
(c) Tolkien was not fond of Bournemouth.
(d) Edith was not fond of Bournemouth.
5. This company eventually apologized to Tolkien and offered to do what?
(a) Collect all the books they had sold.
(b) Give him their extra copies.
(c) Pay him royalties on volumes sold.
(d) Pay a fine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the publication of THE HOBBIT quite a learning experience for Tolkien?
2. It was frustrating for the publishers to see Tolkien focused on every minute detail rather than what?
3. The story of THE HOBBIT was written for what purpose?
4. All of Tolkien's attention was split between the new book along and the Oxford professorship until what happened?
5. What other plan of Tolkien's also had to be put aside?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tolkien's personality and feelings begin to change at this time? What might have caused this?
2. How did Tolkien feel about splitting the book into three volumes? Upon what did he insist?
3. Describe the first book review for THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
4. About what did Tolkien write to his son, Christopher?
5. How did the money Tolkien made from this book affect him?
6. How did Edith die?
7. Describe Edith regaining of good spirits.
8. What did Tolkien think about writing a sequel to THE HOBBIT? Why? What was his plan for the sequel?
9. How did Tolkien feel about having Allen and Unwin publish THE LORD OF THE RINGS? Why?
10. What did Ronald do soon after Edith's death?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)