|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Allen and Unwin began to negotiate deals for what?
(a) Toys based on THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
(b) Foreign translations of THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
(c) Movies based on THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
(d) Comics of THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
2. When did Tolkien finish the manuscript?
3. What was the place Tolkien had always considered to be his true home?
(d) South Africa.
4. Several years of delays and mishaps occurred until in ________ when Tolkien gave up on Collins and went back to Allen and Unwin.
5. The Hobbit had been abandoned until a student of Tolkien's mentioned it to whom?
(a) A college friend who was working for a London publisher.
(d) The president of Oxford.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Priscilla remain?
2. Carpenter refers to Bournemouth as being the anemic English equivalent to what?
3. Letters and cards from fans started pouring in by the __________ and Tolkien soon found himself completely overwhelmed.
4. What is one of the great mysteries about THE HOBBIT?
5. Christopher recovered from his ailment, returned to school and eventually did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tolkien feel when C.S. Lewis died? Why did he feel this way?
2. Of what did Lewis warn Tolkien?
3. What did Tolkien think about writing a sequel to THE HOBBIT? Why? What was his plan for the sequel?
4. How did Tolkien feel about splitting the book into three volumes? Upon what did he insist?
5. What do Stanley Unwin and Ronald Tolkien think of one another?
6. Is this deal a good idea for Tolkien? Why or why not?
7. What did Tolkien do when he became eager to cut ties with his publishers? How did they react?
8. What happened when the money began pouring in?
9. What happened when Oxford took notice of the book?
10. How was Edith feeling at this point? What helped her live out the end of her life in some peace and comfort?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)