|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The woman took the typescript, read it and then did what with it?
(a) Threw it away.
(b) Recommended it to the publishers.
(c) Sent it back to Tolkien.
(d) Published it.
2. Eventually, Tolkien told his publisher that he was "forgetting about children." Why?
(a) The new story was becoming frightening and was perhaps unsuitable for young minds.
(b) He was annoyed by his own children.
(c) He was tired of writing for children.
(d) Children no longer liked his work.
3. When did Edith Bratt Tolkien die?
(a) November 29, 1981.
(b) November 29, 1975.
(c) November 29, 1971.
(d) November 29, 1969.
4. Ever since THE SILMARILLION was rejected in 1937 Tolkien was desperate to do what?
(a) Find it.
(b) Have it published.
(c) Forget he wrote it.
(d) Rework it.
5. When did Tolkien finish the manuscript?
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Tolkien believe that the work was flawless?
2. As the time drew near for the book to be published of what was Tolkien afraid?
3. In writing THE LORD OF THE RINGS Tolkien became frustrated and did not know what?
4. In addition to returning to his great English mythology, Tolkien was also the recipient of what?
5. The first book review was written by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what did Lewis warn Tolkien?
2. Is this deal a good idea for Tolkien? Why or why not?
3. How did the money Tolkien made from this book affect him?
4. What new deal did Unwin propose to Tolkien?
5. How did Tolkien feel when C.S. Lewis died? Why did he feel this way?
6. How was Edith feeling at this point? What helped her live out the end of her life in some peace and comfort?
7. How is Ronald like Bilbo Baggins?
8. Describe one of the great mysteries about The Hobbit.
9. Why did Tolkien's relationship with Lewis deteriorate even further?
10. How did Tolkien feel about splitting the book into three volumes? Upon what did he insist?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)