|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It was frustrating for the publishers to see Tolkien focused on every minute detail rather than what?
(a) Working on the book as a whole.
(b) Focusing on individual characters.
(c) Focusing on the plot.
(d) Working on character development.
2. How did this critic respond to Tolkien's work?
(a) With much criticism.
(b) With many accolades.
(c) There was no response.
(d) With both criticism and accolades.
3. When did Edith Bratt Tolkien die?
(a) November 29, 1975.
(b) November 29, 1969.
(c) November 29, 1981.
(d) November 29, 1971.
4. From what did Tolkien's depression prevent him?
(b) Going out with friends.
(c) Talking to Edith.
5. While Tolkien stood to make more money, what did it also mean?
(a) He would be harrassed by other publishing houses.
(b) He would have to pay Unwin more money at the end.
(c) He would have to pay more money.
(d) He would not see any money until the cost of the book production was covered.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Tolkien not sure he wanted to publish his book?
2. To where did the Tolkiens move?
3. Why did the maps have to be redrawn?
4. There were many requests for Tolkien to be a professor __________.
5. Rayner Unwin wanted Tolkien to send THE LORD OF THE RINGS posthaste. Why was Tolkien reluctant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the publication of THE HOBBIT quite a learning experience?
2. What happened when the money began pouring in?
3. What did Tolkien think about writing a sequel to THE HOBBIT? Why? What was his plan for the sequel?
4. Why did Tolkien's relationship with Lewis deteriorate even further?
5. Why was the story of THE HOBBIT written?
6. What did Tolkien do when he became eager to cut ties with his publishers? How did they react?
7. What new deal did Unwin propose to Tolkien?
8. Why was it recommended that Tolkien finish THE HOBBIT?
9. Of what did Lewis warn Tolkien?
10. How did Edith die?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)