|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All of Tolkien's attention was split between the new book along and the Oxford professorship until what happened?
(a) Christopher was diagnosed with a mysterious kidney ailment.
(b) Christopher was diagnosed with a mysterious heart ailment.
(c) Christopher was diagnosed with a mysterious lung ailment.
(d) Christopher was diagnosed with a mysterious liver ailment.
2. Eventually, Tolkien told his publisher that he was "forgetting about children." Why?
(a) The new story was becoming frightening and was perhaps unsuitable for young minds.
(b) He was tired of writing for children.
(c) He was annoyed by his own children.
(d) Children no longer liked his work.
3. Rayner said that because Tolkien was not willing to do any editing or split the books into several volumes, Unwin should do what?
(a) Not publish any of his works.
(b) Take THE SILMARILLION and reject THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
(c) Publish both books.
(d) Take THE LORD OF THE RINGS and reject THE SILMARILLION.
4. From what did Tolkien's depression prevent him?
(a) Talking to Edith.
(d) Going out with friends.
5. After Edith died, to where did Tolkien move?
(a) Milton Street.
(b) Merlon Street.
(c) Merton Street.
(d) Monroe Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Michael attended Trinity College, and went on to become what?
2. Who was Tolkien not sure he wanted to publish his book?
3. Tolkien insisted on drawing maps for what purpose?
4. What did Tolkien think of the awards and accolades he received?
5. Carpenter refers to Bournemouth as being the anemic English equivalent to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ronald become frustrated with THE LORD OF THE RINGS? What did he say about this story?
2. Describe Edith regaining of good spirits.
3. How did Tolkien feel about splitting the book into three volumes? Upon what did he insist?
4. What did Tolkien think about writing a sequel to THE HOBBIT? Why? What was his plan for the sequel?
5. Why was the story of THE HOBBIT written?
6. What does Unwin do with all of Tolkien's completed manuscripts? Why?
7. How was Edith feeling at this point? What helped her live out the end of her life in some peace and comfort?
8. Why was the publication of THE HOBBIT quite a learning experience?
9. Why did Tolkien's relationship with Lewis deteriorate even further?
10. Is this deal a good idea for Tolkien? Why or why not?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)