|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Tolkien's relationship with Lewis deteriorate further?
(a) When Lewis moved away.
(b) When Lewis insulted him.
(c) When Lewis mocked him.
(d) When Lewis married Joy Davidson.
2. How was Tolkien doing at Oxford?
(a) Fairly well.
(b) Not well.
3. Ever since THE SILMARILLION was rejected in 1937 Tolkien was desperate to do what?
(a) Have it published.
(b) Forget he wrote it.
(c) Find it.
(d) Rework it.
4. Christopher recovered from his ailment, returned to school and eventually did what?
(a) Went to Trinity College.
(b) Went to Harvard.
(c) Went to Oxford.
(d) Went to Cambridge.
5. In 1952, Rayner Unwin proposed a new deal to Tolkien for THE LORD OF THE RINGS. What was this deal?
(a) Tolkien would receive a traditional contract with royalty payments.
(b) Tolkien would receive all of the profits from the book.
(c) Tolkien could choose how much of a profit he wanted to make.
(d) Tolkien would be contracted in a profit-sharing agreement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Stanley Unwin surprise Tolkien?
2. John moved to Rome to do what?
3. The woman took the typescript, read it and then did what with it?
4. Which child did Tolkien write letters to in particular?
5. Rayner Unwin wanted Tolkien to send THE LORD OF THE RINGS posthaste. Why was Tolkien reluctant?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)