|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. People began to call when?
(a) When he was in meetings.
(b) At all hours of the day and night.
(c) In the morning.
(d) At night.
2. In 1952, Rayner Unwin proposed a new deal to Tolkien for THE LORD OF THE RINGS. What was this deal?
(a) Tolkien would be contracted in a profit-sharing agreement.
(b) Tolkien would receive all of the profits from the book.
(c) Tolkien could choose how much of a profit he wanted to make.
(d) Tolkien would receive a traditional contract with royalty payments.
3. Who was Tolkien not sure he wanted to publish his book?
(a) His son, Christopher.
(b) Haughton and Miflin.
(c) Any publisher.
(d) Allen and Unwin.
4. While Tolkien stood to make more money, what did it also mean?
(a) He would have to pay more money.
(b) He would have to pay Unwin more money at the end.
(c) He would not see any money until the cost of the book production was covered.
(d) He would be harrassed by other publishing houses.
5. Oddly enough, who did Edith befriend?
(a) Lewis' mother.
(c) Lewis' sister.
(d) Joy Lewis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tolkien began to find that people were confusing what?
2. As the time drew near for the book to be published of what was Tolkien afraid?
3. The first book review was written by whom?
4. Why was Tolkien angry with his publishers?
5. After reading through Tolkien's completed manuscripts, what did Unwin do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tolkien feel about splitting the book into three volumes? Upon what did he insist?
2. What new deal did Unwin propose to Tolkien?
3. Describe the first book review for THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
4. Why did Ronald become frustrated with THE LORD OF THE RINGS? What did he say about this story?
5. What does Unwin do with all of Tolkien's completed manuscripts? Why?
6. What happened when the money began pouring in?
7. How did Tolkien's personality and feelings begin to change at this time? What might have caused this?
8. What did Tolkien do when he became eager to cut ties with his publishers? How did they react?
9. Why was the story of THE HOBBIT written?
10. What did Ronald do soon after Edith's death?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)