|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The battle with the publishing company made Tolkien and his work what?
(b) Overnight sensations.
2. What type of comments did Tolkien make to Stanley Unwin?
(a) Those that he felt would deter Unwin from publishing the book.
(b) Those that he felt would embarrass Unwin.
(c) Those that he felt would anger Unwin.
(d) Those that he felt would encourage Unwin to publish both books.
3. Rayner Unwin wanted Tolkien to send THE LORD OF THE RINGS posthaste. Why was Tolkien reluctant?
(a) He could not find an extra copy of the book.
(b) He did not have a written copy of the book.
(c) There was only one copy in existence.
(d) He did not trust Rayne.
4. What did this infection do to Tolkien?
(a) It killed him.
(b) It left him brain damaged.
(c) It paralyzed him.
(d) It severely injured him.
5. Where did Priscilla remain?
(a) At school.
(b) At home.
(c) In the States.
(d) In a hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of Tolkien's attention was split between the new book along and the Oxford professorship until what happened?
2. Tolkien wrote to Stanley Unwin to tell him what?
3. The money began pouring in and soon Tolkien was worried about what?
4. Tolkien sold the original manuscripts of his published works to what university?
5. When did Edith Bratt Tolkien die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the money began pouring in?
2. What do Stanley Unwin and Ronald Tolkien think of one another?
3. Why was it recommended that Tolkien finish THE HOBBIT?
4. What did Tolkien think about writing a sequel to THE HOBBIT? Why? What was his plan for the sequel?
5. Describe one of the great mysteries about The Hobbit.
6. What does Unwin do with all of Tolkien's completed manuscripts? Why?
7. Describe Edith regaining of good spirits.
8. How is Ronald like Bilbo Baggins?
9. Is this deal a good idea for Tolkien? Why or why not?
10. How did Tolkien feel about splitting the book into three volumes? Upon what did he insist?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)