|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the maps have to be redrawn?
(a) The originals were too boring.
(b) The originals were too sloppy.
(c) The originals were too light.
(d) The originals contained too many colors.
2. Why was Tolkien angry with his publishers?
(a) He never received his money on time.
(b) For the lack of publicity for one of the recent books.
(c) They are lazy and unorganized.
(d) They do not seem to care about his work.
3. What happened when Oxford finally took notice of the book?
(a) Tolkien was given a pay raise.
(b) Tolkien was required to complete several overdue projects.
(c) Tolkien was fired.
(d) Tolkien was forced to write another book for the series.
4. The war made things difficult for everyone in Europe and the Tolkiens often took in lodgers and also raised hens for what reason?
(a) They enjoyed living in the country.
(b) They were asked to protect the hens from enemy fire.
(c) To combat the shortage of eggs.
(d) They liked to eat a lot of eggs.
5. When did Tolkien finish the manuscript?
Short Answer Questions
1. Edith was expected to have what, regarding her illness?
2. Allen and Unwin began to negotiate deals for what?
3. To where did the Tolkiens move?
4. Tolkien insisted on drawing maps for what purpose?
5. Which child did Tolkien write letters to in particular?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Stanley Unwin and Ronald Tolkien think of one another?
2. What happened when the money began pouring in?
3. How did Tolkien feel about having Allen and Unwin publish THE LORD OF THE RINGS? Why?
4. How did the money Tolkien made from this book affect him?
5. How was Edith feeling at this point? What helped her live out the end of her life in some peace and comfort?
6. Is this deal a good idea for Tolkien? Why or why not?
7. How did Tolkien feel as the time drew nearer for the book to be published?
8. What happened when Oxford took notice of the book?
9. What new deal did Unwin propose to Tolkien?
10. How did Edith die?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)