|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the publication of THE HOBBIT quite a learning experience for Tolkien?
(a) He had never had anyone read his work before.
(b) He had never had anything published before.
(c) He had never written before.
(d) He had no idea of the processes involved with producing a book.
2. Regardless of how The Hobbit is viewed, it was intended to be what?
(a) An epic.
(b) A children's story.
(c) A funny story.
(d) A scary story.
3. Tolkien said Unwin looked a lot like who?
(a) One of his children.
(b) One of his dwarves.
(c) One of his students.
(d) One of his coworkers.
4. What was taking a toll on Edith?
(a) The fanmail.
(b) The strain of keeping up the house.
(c) The weather.
(d) Her children.
5. Where did Priscilla remain?
(a) In the States.
(b) In a hospital.
(c) At school.
(d) At home.
Short Answer Questions
1. The battle with the publishing company made Tolkien and his work what?
2. What grave mistake did Stanley Unwin make?
3. Who was Tolkien not sure he wanted to publish his book?
4. After Edith died, what did Tolkien do to keep busy?
5. Michael attended Trinity College, and went on to become what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the money began pouring in?
2. Why did Ronald become frustrated with THE LORD OF THE RINGS? What did he say about this story?
3. Is this deal a good idea for Tolkien? Why or why not?
4. What did Ronald do soon after Edith's death?
5. What new deal did Unwin propose to Tolkien?
6. Describe the first book review for THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
7. Why did Tolkien's relationship with Lewis deteriorate even further?
8. What do Stanley Unwin and Ronald Tolkien think of one another?
9. How did Edith die?
10. What happened when Oxford took notice of the book?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)