|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tolkien sold the original manuscripts of his published works to what university?
(a) University of Michigan.
(b) Marquette University.
(c) Michigan State University.
(d) Eastern Michigan University.
2. In 1972, Tolkien was awarded what?
(a) An honorary Doctorate of the Arts.
(b) An honorary Doctorate of Music.
(c) An honorary Doctorate in Medicine.
(d) An honorary Doctorate of Letters.
3. John moved to Rome to do what?
(a) Study art.
(b) Marry his fiancee.
(c) Study for the Catholic priesthood.
(d) Meet the Pope.
4. The woman took the typescript, read it and then did what with it?
(a) Published it.
(b) Threw it away.
(c) Sent it back to Tolkien.
(d) Recommended it to the publishers.
5. What did Tolkien think of the awards and accolades he received?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Edith died, to where did Tolkien move?
2. The story of THE HOBBIT was written for what purpose?
3. Which child did Tolkien write letters to in particular?
4. How did Unwin respond when Tolkien offered him an ultimatum?
5. All of Tolkien's attention was split between the new book along and the Oxford professorship until what happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tolkien's personality and feelings begin to change at this time? What might have caused this?
2. What events took place regarding Tolkien's fame?
3. Describe Edith regaining of good spirits.
4. How was Edith feeling at this point? What helped her live out the end of her life in some peace and comfort?
5. What happened when Oxford took notice of the book?
6. Why did Ronald become frustrated with THE LORD OF THE RINGS? What did he say about this story?
7. What did Ronald do soon after Edith's death?
8. What do Stanley Unwin and Ronald Tolkien think of one another?
9. Describe the first book review for THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
10. What new deal did Unwin propose to Tolkien?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)