|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ever since THE SILMARILLION was rejected in 1937 Tolkien was desperate to do what?
(a) Find it.
(b) Forget he wrote it.
(c) Have it published.
(d) Rework it.
2. Who was Tolkien not sure he wanted to publish his book?
(a) Allen and Unwin.
(b) Haughton and Miflin.
(c) Any publisher.
(d) His son, Christopher.
3. The war hit in what year?
4. Did Tolkien believe that the work was flawless?
5. After Edith died, what did Tolkien do to keep busy?
(a) He played with his grandchildren.
(b) He worked hard.
(c) He took up new hobbies.
(d) He wrote long letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tolkien and Stanley Unwin think of each other?
2. The money was coming in and Tolkien found that he would not have to do what?
3. What happened when Tolkien's fans rose up against this company?
4. Tolkien insisted on drawing maps for what purpose?
5. Who often retired to Bournemouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ended Tolkien's focus on the new book and his Oxford professorship?
2. Describe the first book review for THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
3. What happened when the money began pouring in?
4. How did the money Tolkien made from this book affect him?
5. What did Ronald do soon after Edith's death?
6. How did Tolkien feel as the time drew nearer for the book to be published?
7. About what did Tolkien write to his son, Christopher?
8. Is this deal a good idea for Tolkien? Why or why not?
9. What do Stanley Unwin and Ronald Tolkien think of one another?
10. What did Tolkien think about writing a sequel to THE HOBBIT? Why? What was his plan for the sequel?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)