|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some also believe that Mabel's death encouraged Tolkien to do what?
(a) Expand his study of various languages.
(b) Marry Edith.
(c) Stay in school.
(d) Become a Catholic.
2. What did Ronald do when he found out Edith was engaged to be married?
(a) He became very depressed.
(b) He convinced her to break her engagement to marry him.
(c) He told Edith good bye for the last time.
(d) He found a new girlfriend.
3. Tolkien began to pay the most attention to what as opposed to the story itself?
(a) The time period.
(b) The landscape.
(c) The language.
(d) The people.
4. Together Gordon and Tolkien formed what?
(a) The Viking Club.
(b) The Nors Club.
(c) The Scandinavian Club.
(d) The Swedish Club.
5. North Oxford had become a community of academics, their wives, and families who lived where?
(a) In cheap rental homes.
(b) In the grand mansions and suburban villas.
(c) In large apartments.
(d) In small, modest homes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the baby named John?
2. Until the late 1800s, at what university were most of the college fellows required to take holy vows and not permitted to marry?
3. One notable aspect of the photos is what?
4. Ronald managed to fit in with the help of some fellow ___________.
5. At this point Carpenter introduces __________, a friend of Tolkien's and popular lecturer on medieval studies.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do many people question Tolkien in regards to his mythology and devout Catholic faith? What is Tolkien's response?
2. What does Ronald do without Edith in his life?
3. Why did Edith live away from Ronald for a period of time?
4. What happens when Mabel and the boys return to England for a visit?
5. What did Tolkien create with Eric Valentine Gordon?
6. How does Mabel feel about Bloemfontein? How does she act in regards to her feelings? Why does she act this way?
7. Why is Ronald allowed to contact Edith? What did Ronald learn about Edith?
8. What are the first two languages Tolkien creates? Describe them.
9. When does Mabel arrive in South Africa? What takes place at the time of their wedding?
10. What happened to T.C.B.S. after graduation?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)