|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mabel notices that Ronald is a bright student who is interested in what?
2. How does Ronald feel the moment he sets foot on campus?
(a) He is unhappy and depressed.
(b) He is very nervous and unsure.
(c) He knows the college was bound to be his real home.
(d) He misses King Edward's school.
3. The small sum of money that had been invested by Arthur would only bring an income of ___________________ per week, an amount that is barely enough to sustain the family at the poverty level.
(a) 50 shillings.
(b) 30 shillings.
(c) 30 pounds.
(d) 50 pounds.
4. Why did Edith and her cousin Jennie Grove move back to Cheltenham?
(a) Edith missed home.
(b) Edith was tired of Tolkien.
(c) Edith missed her family.
(d) Edith was pregnant and completely miserable.
5. Additionally, Tolkien wanted to create an English mythology like that of the Norse or Finnish cultures using the same intense feeling he put into what?
(a) His early songs.
(b) His early plays.
(c) His early poetry.
(d) His early operas.
Short Answer Questions
1. In November, Mabel falls into what and dies?
2. Ronald returned to his studies only to find that he had fallen behind and had to cram six weeks of work into a short period of time in order to complete the course. In what place did he come?
3. Why is the baby named John?
4. The family settles into their new home and Tolkien embraced his duties as what?
5. As Ronald and Edith's wedding drew nearer, what became a concern?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mabel plan a trip to England? Why is the trip postponed?
2. Why did Edith live away from Ronald for a period of time?
3. Why is Arthur Tolkien in South Africa?
4. What did Tolkien do while he was recovering from trench fever?
5. What does Humphrey Carpenter say about the Tolkiens in Part One of this book?
6. How did Edith feel when Ronald was called back to duty?
7. What did G.B. Smith's words, "May you say the things I have tried to say long after I am not there to say them," do for Ronald?
8. What became a concern for Ronald and Edith, prior to their wedding?
9. How does Father Francis feel about Ronald's engagement to Edith?
10. How does Mabel feel about Bloemfontein? How does she act in regards to her feelings? Why does she act this way?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)