|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the baby named John?
(a) After his uncle.
(b) After a friend of the family.
(c) After his grandfather.
(d) After his father.
2. The second language was Sindarin, which was reminiscent of _________, Tolkien's second favorite language.
3. Ronald was adamant that Edith become what?
(a) A Catholic.
(b) A Hindu.
(c) A Protestant.
(d) A Buddhist.
4. Why does Mabel have to be hospitalized?
(a) There is no one to care for her at home.
(b) She will need to receive treatment.
(c) She is very contagious.
(d) There is no treatment for Diabetes at this time.
5. Carpenter meets Edith. How does he describe her?
(a) Very depressed and rude.
(b) Very quiet and shy.
(c) Very petite and pleasant.
(d) Very odd and unusual.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tolkien began writing what he referred to as "The Book of Lost Tales." The first story would eventually become what?
2. Mabel notices that Ronald is a bright student who is interested in what?
3. It was during this time that Tolkien started to do what?
4. The family settles into their new home and Tolkien embraced his duties as what?
5. Chapter 7, titled "War," takes place during the summer of _________, after England declared war on Germany.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ronald allowed to contact Edith? What did Ronald learn about Edith?
2. What did members of Exeter College think of Ronald when he came in second place?
3. Why does Mabel plan a trip to England? Why is the trip postponed?
4. What happens during the summer of 1914?
5. When does Mabel arrive in South Africa? What takes place at the time of their wedding?
6. What did Tolkien do when he returned to Oxford?
7. What became a concern for Ronald and Edith, prior to their wedding?
8. Who was the Tolkiens' second son when was he born?
9. How does the Tolkien family end up in Leeds?
10. What is odd about the Bloemfontein home?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)