|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tolkien began to pay the most attention to what as opposed to the story itself?
(a) The language.
(b) The people.
(c) The time period.
(d) The landscape.
2. Why does Mabel have to be hospitalized?
(a) She is very contagious.
(b) She will need to receive treatment.
(c) There is no one to care for her at home.
(d) There is no treatment for Diabetes at this time.
3. Carpenter points out that in every photograph the situation and location seemed to be what?
(b) Quite ordinary.
(c) Very odd.
4. How does Mabel feel when Arthur tells his father that he cannot see returning to England on a permanent basis?
5. Tolkien replied that he felt the club they had created had come to an end. What is Smith's reply?
(a) The T.C.C.C. would never end.
(b) The N.C.A.A. had ended.
(c) The T.C.B.S. would never end.
(d) The T.C.B.Y had ended.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1922, Tolkien was appointed to the position of Professorship of the English Language. What is unique about this position?
2. Why did Ronald not follow suit when Hilary signed up to become a soldier?
3. Tolkien had decided that in order to create a new language he would also have to create what?
4. Ronald was stricken with what the doctors referred to as what?
5. The second language was Sindarin, which was reminiscent of _________, Tolkien's second favorite language.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Tolkien do when he returned to Oxford?
2. What did G.B. Smith's words, "May you say the things I have tried to say long after I am not there to say them," do for Ronald?
3. How did Edith feel when Ronald was called back to duty?
4. Who was the Tolkiens' second son when was he born?
5. How do many people question Tolkien in regards to his mythology and devout Catholic faith? What is Tolkien's response?
6. How do both Mabel and Arthur feel about returning to England?
7. What happens during the summer of 1914?
8. What did Tolkien do while he was recovering from trench fever?
9. How does Ronald spend his final year at King Edward's?
10. How does Father Francis feel about Ronald's engagement to Edith?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)