|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Did Tolkien believe that the work was flawless?
2. Why was the publication of THE HOBBIT quite a learning experience for Tolkien?
(a) He had no idea of the processes involved with producing a book.
(b) He had never had anything published before.
(c) He had never had anyone read his work before.
(d) He had never written before.
3. In many ways, Bilbo Baggins is who?
(a) C.S. Lewis.
(b) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(c) T.S. Eliot.
(d) P.T. Barnum.
4. The war hit in what year?
5. Which child did Tolkien write letters to in particular?
6. Living in Bournemouth had what kind of an effect on Edith?
(a) A poor effect.
(b) An unusual effect.
(c) A mild effect.
(d) A good effect.
7. Why did the maps have to be redrawn?
(a) The originals were too light.
(b) The originals were too boring.
(c) The originals contained too many colors.
(d) The originals were too sloppy.
8. While Tolkien stood to make more money, what did it also mean?
(a) He would be harrassed by other publishing houses.
(b) He would not see any money until the cost of the book production was covered.
(c) He would have to pay Unwin more money at the end.
(d) He would have to pay more money.
9. When C.S. Lewis died in 1963, how did Tolkien feel?
(b) Somewhat upset.
10. From what did Tolkien's depression prevent him?
(b) Going out with friends.
(c) Talking to Edith.
11. The reviews from other critics were mixed. Were they better than Tolkien had expected?
(b) Not at first.
12. What did Tolkien and Stanley Unwin think of each other?
(a) The other was quite strange.
(b) They were very similar.
(c) The other was insane.
(d) The other was rude.
13. What was taking a toll on Edith?
(a) Her children.
(b) The fanmail.
(c) The weather.
(d) The strain of keeping up the house.
14. Who was Tolkien not sure he wanted to publish his book?
(a) Any publisher.
(b) His son, Christopher.
(c) Haughton and Miflin.
(d) Allen and Unwin.
15. John moved to Rome to do what?
(a) Study art.
(b) Study for the Catholic priesthood.
(c) Meet the Pope.
(d) Marry his fiancee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tolkien was unhappy about splitting the work into three volumes and insisted on what?
2. What type of comments did Tolkien make to Stanley Unwin?
3. What grave mistake did Stanley Unwin make?
4. Tolkien sold the original manuscripts of his published works to what university?
5. Where did Priscilla remain?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)