|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the place Tolkien had always considered to be his true home?
(d) South Africa.
2. Why was there a considerable problem with an American company?
(a) It refused to pay royaltiesto Tolkien.
(b) It reprinted the saga incorrectly.
(c) It refused to reprint the saga.
(d) It reprinted the saga without permission.
3. The money began pouring in and soon Tolkien was worried about what?
(a) Having crazy fans.
(b) Having to move into a larger home.
(c) Being robbed.
(d) Having to pay an exorbitant amount in taxes.
4. This company eventually apologized to Tolkien and offered to do what?
(a) Pay a fine.
(b) Pay him royalties on volumes sold.
(c) Give him their extra copies.
(d) Collect all the books they had sold.
5. The review praised the work which was what?
(a) A nuisance.
(b) A disaster.
(c) A mixed blessing.
(d) A blessing.
6. In 1971, Edith was taken to the hospital with what?
(a) A herniated disc.
(c) An infected gall bladder.
7. Ever since THE SILMARILLION was rejected in 1937 Tolkien was desperate to do what?
(a) Have it published.
(b) Find it.
(c) Forget he wrote it.
(d) Rework it.
8. In 1972, Tolkien was awarded what?
(a) An honorary Doctorate of the Arts.
(b) An honorary Doctorate of Letters.
(c) An honorary Doctorate of Music.
(d) An honorary Doctorate in Medicine.
9. The battle with the publishing company made Tolkien and his work what?
(c) Overnight sensations.
10. Carpenter refers to Bournemouth as being the anemic English equivalent to what?
(a) Miami Beach.
(b) The French Riviera.
(c) New York City.
11. In addition to returning to his great English mythology, Tolkien was also the recipient of what?
(a) Great wealth.
(b) New writing assignments.
(c) Many new friends.
(d) A great number of awards.
12. Why was the publication of THE HOBBIT quite a learning experience for Tolkien?
(a) He had never had anything published before.
(b) He had never had anyone read his work before.
(c) He had no idea of the processes involved with producing a book.
(d) He had never written before.
13. What did Tolkien think of the awards and accolades he received?
14. People began to call when?
(a) At night.
(b) When he was in meetings.
(c) In the morning.
(d) At all hours of the day and night.
15. As the story of THE HOBBIT moved along, some of what crept in?
(a) Tolkien's poetry.
(b) Tolkien's mythology.
(c) Tolkien's other stories.
(d) Tolkien's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Tolkien believe that the work was flawless?
2. Who looked after Tolkien after his return to Oxford?
3. How does Tolkien feel about his fame?
4. To where did the Tolkiens move?
5. It was frustrating for the publishers to see Tolkien focused on every minute detail rather than what?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)