|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to returning to his great English mythology, Tolkien was also the recipient of what?
(a) New writing assignments.
(b) Great wealth.
(c) A great number of awards.
(d) Many new friends.
2. The review praised the work which was what?
(a) A mixed blessing.
(b) A blessing.
(c) A nuisance.
(d) A disaster.
3. How did this critic respond to Tolkien's work?
(a) With both criticism and accolades.
(b) With much criticism.
(c) With many accolades.
(d) There was no response.
4. Did Tolkien believe that the work was flawless?
5. The reviews from other critics were mixed. Were they better than Tolkien had expected?
(b) Not at first.
6. In 1972, Tolkien was awarded what?
(a) An honorary Doctorate in Medicine.
(b) An honorary Doctorate of Music.
(c) An honorary Doctorate of the Arts.
(d) An honorary Doctorate of Letters.
7. Why did the maps have to be redrawn?
(a) The originals were too light.
(b) The originals were too sloppy.
(c) The originals were too boring.
(d) The originals contained too many colors.
8. What happened when Oxford finally took notice of the book?
(a) Tolkien was fired.
(b) Tolkien was required to complete several overdue projects.
(c) Tolkien was forced to write another book for the series.
(d) Tolkien was given a pay raise.
9. Why was the publication of THE HOBBIT quite a learning experience for Tolkien?
(a) He had never had anyone read his work before.
(b) He had never written before.
(c) He had no idea of the processes involved with producing a book.
(d) He had never had anything published before.
10. To where did the Tolkiens move?
(c) New York.
11. Several years of delays and mishaps occurred until in ________ when Tolkien gave up on Collins and went back to Allen and Unwin.
12. How was Tolkien doing at Oxford?
(a) Not well.
(c) Fairly well.
13. The war made things difficult for everyone in Europe and the Tolkiens often took in lodgers and also raised hens for what reason?
(a) They liked to eat a lot of eggs.
(b) They enjoyed living in the country.
(c) They were asked to protect the hens from enemy fire.
(d) To combat the shortage of eggs.
14. Tolkien wrote to Stanley Unwin to tell him what?
(a) THE LORD OF THE RINGS was finished.
(b) He did not want him to publish THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
(c) He should come pick up a copy of the finished book.
(d) He should have it published quickly.
15. What is one of the great mysteries about THE HOBBIT?
(a) No one knows who actually wrote it.
(b) No one is quite sure if the story was ever completed.
(c) No one is quite sure when the book was started.
(d) No one knows where Tolkien's ideas came from.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Tolkien's fans rose up against this company?
2. What was taking a toll on Edith?
3. As the story of THE HOBBIT moved along, some of what crept in?
4. What type of comments did Tolkien make to Stanley Unwin?
5. While Tolkien stood to make more money, what did it also mean?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)