|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the great mysteries about THE HOBBIT?
(a) No one is quite sure when the book was started.
(b) No one is quite sure if the story was ever completed.
(c) No one knows who actually wrote it.
(d) No one knows where Tolkien's ideas came from.
2. What did Tolkien and Stanley Unwin think of each other?
(a) The other was rude.
(b) The other was insane.
(c) The other was quite strange.
(d) They were very similar.
3. John moved to Rome to do what?
(a) Study art.
(b) Marry his fiancee.
(c) Meet the Pope.
(d) Study for the Catholic priesthood.
4. When did Tolkien finish the manuscript?
5. The review praised the work which was what?
(a) A mixed blessing.
(b) A disaster.
(c) A nuisance.
(d) A blessing.
6. How does Tolkien feel about his fame?
(a) He enjoys it.
(b) It worries him.
(c) It greatly puzzles him.
(d) It embarrasses him.
7. Tolkien wrote to Stanley Unwin to tell him what?
(a) He should have it published quickly.
(b) THE LORD OF THE RINGS was finished.
(c) He did not want him to publish THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
(d) He should come pick up a copy of the finished book.
8. Why did Tolkien's relationship with Lewis deteriorate further?
(a) When Lewis married Joy Davidson.
(b) When Lewis mocked him.
(c) When Lewis moved away.
(d) When Lewis insulted him.
9. The first book review was written by whom?
(a) Father Francis.
(b) C.S. Lewis.
(c) T.S. Eliot.
10. The money was coming in and Tolkien found that he would not have to do what?
(a) Pay another bill.
(b) Publish another book.
(c) Worry about funds ever again.
(d) Write again.
11. The battle with the publishing company made Tolkien and his work what?
(c) Overnight sensations.
12. Rayner Unwin wanted Tolkien to send THE LORD OF THE RINGS posthaste. Why was Tolkien reluctant?
(a) He could not find an extra copy of the book.
(b) There was only one copy in existence.
(c) He did not trust Rayne.
(d) He did not have a written copy of the book.
13. All of Tolkien's attention was split between the new book along and the Oxford professorship until what happened?
(a) Christopher was diagnosed with a mysterious heart ailment.
(b) Christopher was diagnosed with a mysterious lung ailment.
(c) Christopher was diagnosed with a mysterious kidney ailment.
(d) Christopher was diagnosed with a mysterious liver ailment.
14. How did this critic respond to Tolkien's work?
(a) With many accolades.
(b) With much criticism.
(c) With both criticism and accolades.
(d) There was no response.
15. Why was the publication of THE HOBBIT quite a learning experience for Tolkien?
(a) He had never written before.
(b) He had never had anyone read his work before.
(c) He had never had anything published before.
(d) He had no idea of the processes involved with producing a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Tolkien not sure he wanted to publish his book?
2. The war made things difficult for everyone in Europe and the Tolkiens often took in lodgers and also raised hens for what reason?
3. The woman took the typescript, read it and then did what with it?
4. In addition to returning to his great English mythology, Tolkien was also the recipient of what?
5. The Hobbit had been abandoned until a student of Tolkien's mentioned it to whom?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)