|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Until the late 1800s, at what university were most of the college fellows required to take holy vows and not permitted to marry?
2. Ronald spent his final year at King Edward's deeply involved in what?
(a) A secret relationship with Edith.
(b) The debating society and the football league.
(c) Thinking about Edith.
(d) Planning his life after graduation.
3. Ronald managed to fit in with the help of some fellow ___________.
(a) Young men.
(b) Catholic students.
(d) Protestant students.
4. For the next couple of years why did Edith travel?
(a) To be with Ronald.
(b) To explore the world.
(c) To be away from home.
(d) To have some freedom.
5. One notable aspect of the photos is what?
(a) The way Ronald Tolkien posed.
(b) The way Ronald Tolkien preferred to dress.
(c) The way Ronald Tolkien interacted with his family.
(d) The way Ronald Tolkien cut his hair.
6. The first language Tolkien produced to his own satisfaction was _____________, a complex language based on the Finnish vocabulary.
7. Some also believe that Mabel's death encouraged Tolkien to do what?
(a) Marry Edith.
(b) Stay in school.
(c) Become a Catholic.
(d) Expand his study of various languages.
8. In 1922, Tolkien was appointed to the position of Professorship of the English Language. What is unique about this position?
(a) It was created especially for Tolkien.
(b) It was created for Tolkien's predecessor.
(c) It is the oldest position.
(d) It is not a real position.
9. Much to Ronald's delight his childhood club survived graduation from King Edward's and continued its activities including what?
(a) The production of a musical.
(b) The production of a play.
(c) The production of an opera.
(d) The production of a movie.
10. Members of Exeter College saw great promise in the student and suggested that Ronald become what?
(a) A playwright.
(b) A philologist.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A psychologist.
11. Mabel notices that Ronald is a bright student who is interested in what?
12. How does Mabel feel when Arthur tells his father that he cannot see returning to England on a permanent basis?
13. At this point Carpenter introduces __________, a friend of Tolkien's and popular lecturer on medieval studies.
(a) P.T. Barnum.
(b) P.T. Deutermann.
(c) C.S. Lewis.
(d) T.S. Eliot.
14. Why is the trip to England postponed?
(a) Arthur loses his job.
(b) There is a horrible storm.
(c) Mabel becomes pregnant.
(d) Mabel becomes ill.
15. When did Father Francis permit Tolkien to write to Edith?
(a) On Easter.
(b) On his birthday.
(c) On her birthday.
(d) On Christmas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ronald eager to please Father Francis?
2. The family settles into their new home and Tolkien embraced his duties as what?
3. Where did Tolkien work when he returned to Oxford?
4. It was also important that the work did not become what?
5. What is one of the many strange disturbances in the house at Bloemfontein?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)