|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Without Edith, Ronald focused his entire life around what?
(a) Another young lady.
(b) His friends.
(c) His faith.
(d) School at King Edward's.
2. Members of Exeter College saw great promise in the student and suggested that Ronald become what?
(a) A philologist.
(b) A philosopher.
(c) A playwright.
(d) A psychologist.
3. How does Ronald feel the moment he sets foot on campus?
(a) He is unhappy and depressed.
(b) He misses King Edward's school.
(c) He is very nervous and unsure.
(d) He knows the college was bound to be his real home.
4. Ronald managed to fit in with the help of some fellow ___________.
(a) Young men.
(b) Catholic students.
(c) Protestant students.
5. What happens in 1895 when Mabel and the boys return to England for a visit?
(a) Mabel Tolkien's health begins to fail.
(b) Mabel Tolkien says she is not leaving England.
(c) Arthur Tolkien's health begins to fail.
(d) Arthur Tolkien says they can stay.
6. What has been converted into an office?
(a) The bedroom.
(b) The basement.
(c) The garage.
(d) The porch.
7. Why is the trip to England postponed?
(a) Arthur loses his job.
(b) Mabel becomes ill.
(c) There is a horrible storm.
(d) Mabel becomes pregnant.
8. Ronald and Edith return from their honeymoon, and Ronald receives his first rejection letter for what?
(a) A myth.
(b) A novel.
(c) A play.
9. Why does Mabel have to be hospitalized?
(a) There is no one to care for her at home.
(b) She will need to receive treatment.
(c) There is no treatment for Diabetes at this time.
(d) She is very contagious.
10. Tolkien received a letter from Christopher Wiseman, informing him that who had been killed?
(a) Jimmy Smits.
(b) C.S. Lewis.
(c) G. B. Smith.
(d) His brother.
11. St. Philip's is not the best school for the boys and eventually Ronald wins a scholarship to where?
(a) King Harry's school.
(b) King Phillip's school.
(c) King William's school.
(d) King Edward's school.
12. Whose words inspired Tolkien to write his great epic work?
(a) G.B. Smith's words.
(b) T.S. Elliot's words.
(c) C.S. Lewis' words.
(d) Hilary's words.
13. For what was Tolkien known, regarding his personality?
(a) Having a good sense of humor.
(b) Being shy and quiet.
(c) Having no sense of humor.
(d) Being serious.
14. Ronald was adamant that Edith become what?
(a) A Protestant.
(b) A Buddhist.
(c) A Catholic.
(d) A Hindu.
15. What was Ronald's group of friends and fellow students unofficially named?
(a) The "Literature Club."
(b) The "Authors' Club."
(c) The "Tea Club."
(d) The "Boys' Club."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mabel travel here?
2. The first language Tolkien produced to his own satisfaction was _____________, a complex language based on the Finnish vocabulary.
3. When did Father Francis permit Tolkien to write to Edith?
4. Tolkien replied that he felt the club they had created had come to an end. What is Smith's reply?
5. To Tolkien, this death represented what?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)