|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ronald spent his final year at King Edward's deeply involved in what?
(a) Planning his life after graduation.
(b) A secret relationship with Edith.
(c) Thinking about Edith.
(d) The debating society and the football league.
2. Until the late 1800s, at what university were most of the college fellows required to take holy vows and not permitted to marry?
3. What was Ronald's group of friends and fellow students unofficially named?
(a) The "Authors' Club."
(b) The "Literature Club."
(c) The "Boys' Club."
(d) The "Tea Club."
4. Tolkien and Lewis both indulged in wearing what type of clothing?
(a) Extremely masculine clothes.
(b) Extremely fashionable clothes.
(c) Extremely unusual clothes.
(d) Extremely flashy clothes.
5. Who introduced "non-clerical fellowships" that effectively eliminated a vow of celibacy?
(a) The Tolkiens.
(b) A group of reformers .
(c) A group of radical Catholics.
(d) A group of Americans.
6. How is this conversion received by her family?
(a) Fairly well.
(b) Not well.
(d) Very well.
7. The second language was Sindarin, which was reminiscent of _________, Tolkien's second favorite language.
8. At the Oratory, who does Mabel Tolkien meet?
(a) Father Frederick Xander Miller.
(b) Father Frank Alexander Montgomery.
(c) Father Francis Xavier Morgan.
(d) Father Filipo Alessandro Mulligan.
9. What was the sole purpose of this club?
(a) To eat Swedish food.
(b) To drink massive quantities of beer, read sagas, and sing.
(c) To read Scandinavian literature.
(d) To learn a foreign language.
10. Some of the pressure was relieved when Ronald received a scholarship titled the "Open Classical Exhibition" to where?
(a) Xavier College.
(d) Exeter College.
11. How does Tolkien talk about the series?
(a) As if it is historical fact and not his own creation.
(b) As if it were absurd.
(c) As if it was never written.
(d) As if it were an embarrassment.
12. Without Edith, Ronald focused his entire life around what?
(a) Another young lady.
(b) School at King Edward's.
(c) His friends.
(d) His faith.
13. Chapter 7, titled "War," takes place during the summer of _________, after England declared war on Germany.
14. For the next couple of years why did Edith travel?
(a) To be away from home.
(b) To explore the world.
(c) To have some freedom.
(d) To be with Ronald.
15. Some also believe that Mabel's death encouraged Tolkien to do what?
(a) Marry Edith.
(b) Stay in school.
(c) Expand his study of various languages.
(d) Become a Catholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tolkien began to pay the most attention to what as opposed to the story itself?
2. Father Francis was still angry with Ronald for what?
3. Carpenter points out that in every photograph the situation and location seemed to be what?
4. Why does the couple move into the Bank House?
5. In 1891 Mabel Suffield leaves her family in Birmingham to travel where?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)