|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tolkien and Lewis both indulged in wearing what type of clothing?
(a) Extremely masculine clothes.
(b) Extremely flashy clothes.
(c) Extremely fashionable clothes.
(d) Extremely unusual clothes.
2. Together Gordon and Tolkien formed what?
(a) The Scandinavian Club.
(b) The Swedish Club.
(c) The Nors Club.
(d) The Viking Club.
3. One notable aspect of the photos is what?
(a) The way Ronald Tolkien cut his hair.
(b) The way Ronald Tolkien preferred to dress.
(c) The way Ronald Tolkien posed.
(d) The way Ronald Tolkien interacted with his family.
4. Why was Ronald eager to please Father Francis?
(a) Father Francis was like a father to him.
(b) Father Francis can be very violent.
(c) He did not want to marry Edith unless Father Francis approved.
(d) Father Francis was still in charge of Ronald's monetary support.
5. What does Mabel think of Bloemfontein?
(a) She loves it.
(b) She does not think anything of it.
(c) She is afraid of it.
(d) She is not fond of it.
6. In 1917, Edith gave birth to a baby boy, John Francis Reuel; the name Francis as a tribute to whom?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Father Francis Morgan.
(d) Tolkien's grandfather.
7. At the Oratory, who does Mabel Tolkien meet?
(a) Father Filipo Alessandro Mulligan.
(b) Father Frederick Xander Miller.
(c) Father Francis Xavier Morgan.
(d) Father Frank Alexander Montgomery.
8. What was Ronald's group of friends and fellow students unofficially named?
(a) The "Literature Club."
(b) The "Boys' Club."
(c) The "Authors' Club."
(d) The "Tea Club."
9. Father Francis was still angry with Ronald for what?
(a) Getting married.
(b) Skipping school.
(c) Deceiving him regarding the relationship of Edith.
(d) Leaving King Edward's school.
10. Who introduced "non-clerical fellowships" that effectively eliminated a vow of celibacy?
(a) A group of reformers .
(b) A group of Americans.
(c) A group of radical Catholics.
(d) The Tolkiens.
11. As Tolkien was recovering from trench fever, Christopher Wiseman wrote and told his friend that it was time to start what?
(a) Writing a small book.
(b) Writing the epic.
(c) Writing short stories.
(d) Writing poetry.
12. Members of Exeter College saw great promise in the student and suggested that Ronald become what?
(a) A playwright.
(b) A philosopher.
(c) A philologist.
(d) A psychologist.
13. How is this conversion received by her family?
(a) Fairly well.
(c) Not well.
(d) Very well.
14. Where did Tolkien work when he returned to Oxford?
(a) In the school bookstore.
(b) The New English Dictionary workroom.
(c) In a library.
(d) In a Barnes and Noble.
15. For the next couple of years why did Edith travel?
(a) To be away from home.
(b) To explore the world.
(c) To have some freedom.
(d) To be with Ronald.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many people question how Tolkien could create a mythology without a clear presence of ________ considering his devout Catholic faith.
2. Ronald spent his final year at King Edward's deeply involved in what?
3. Why does Mabel have to be hospitalized?
4. Without Edith, Ronald focused his entire life around what?
5. Some of the pressure was relieved when Ronald received a scholarship titled the "Open Classical Exhibition" to where?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)