|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what was Tolkien known, regarding his personality?
(a) Being serious.
(b) Having a good sense of humor.
(c) Having no sense of humor.
(d) Being shy and quiet.
2. Why did Edith and her cousin Jennie Grove move back to Cheltenham?
(a) Edith was tired of Tolkien.
(b) Edith was pregnant and completely miserable.
(c) Edith missed home.
(d) Edith missed her family.
3. Mabel decides to convert to what religion?
4. Carpenter is expected, but is greeted with some puzzlement. Why?
(a) As if the professor does not know where he is.
(b) As if the professor does not know him.
(c) As if the professor has forgotten about the appointment.
(d) As if the professor has forgotten his own name.
5. Until the late 1800s, at what university were most of the college fellows required to take holy vows and not permitted to marry?
6. Ronald returned to his studies only to find that he had fallen behind and had to cram six weeks of work into a short period of time in order to complete the course. In what place did he come?
7. The family settles into their new home and Tolkien embraced his duties as what?
(a) A father.
(b) A club advisor.
(c) A professor.
(d) A writer.
8. The second language was Sindarin, which was reminiscent of _________, Tolkien's second favorite language.
9. Whose words inspired Tolkien to write his great epic work?
(a) C.S. Lewis' words.
(b) Hilary's words.
(c) T.S. Elliot's words.
(d) G.B. Smith's words.
10. Why does Mabel travel here?
(a) To marry Arthur Tolkien.
(b) To find her parents.
(c) To search for a husband.
(d) To find a job.
11. Where did Tolkien work when he returned to Oxford?
(a) The New English Dictionary workroom.
(b) In a library.
(c) In the school bookstore.
(d) In a Barnes and Noble.
12. As Ronald and Edith's wedding drew nearer, what became a concern?
(a) The subject of children.
(b) The subject of where the wedding would be held.
(c) The subject of where they would live.
(d) The subject of religion.
13. In 1929 Edith gave birth to their fourth and final child, ___________.
(a) Penelope Maria Reuel.
(b) Priscilla Mary Reuel.
(c) Penny Megan Reuel.
(d) Patricia Morgan Reuel.
14. What will Mabel do about housing?
(a) She will stay with a friend.
(b) She will stay with her in-laws.
(c) She will buy a home.
(d) She will look for an inexpensive house to rent.
15. Additionally, Tolkien wanted to create an English mythology like that of the Norse or Finnish cultures using the same intense feeling he put into what?
(a) His early plays.
(b) His early operas.
(c) His early songs.
(d) His early poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tolkien received a letter from Christopher Wiseman, informing him that who had been killed?
2. What does Mabel think of Bloemfontein?
3. What is one of the many strange disturbances in the house at Bloemfontein?
4. Tolkien and Lewis both indulged in wearing what type of clothing?
5. Without Edith, Ronald focused his entire life around what?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)