|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ronald was stricken with what the doctors referred to as what?
(a) "Trench disease."
(b) "Pyrexia of unknown origin."
(c) "Trench fever."
(d) "A fever of unknown origin."
2. Members of Exeter College saw great promise in the student and suggested that Ronald become what?
(a) A psychologist.
(b) A philologist.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A playwright.
3. Many people question how Tolkien could create a mythology without a clear presence of ________ considering his devout Catholic faith.
4. What has been converted into an office?
(a) The basement.
(b) The garage.
(c) The porch.
(d) The bedroom.
5. In the spring of 1904 Mabel is diagnosed with what?
(c) Heart disease.
(d) Scarlet fever.
6. Tolkien was fortunate to survive what he referred to as what?
(a) "Trench warfare."
(b) "Unreasonable warfare."
(c) "Silly warfare."
(d) "Rediculous warfare."
7. Much to Ronald's delight his childhood club survived graduation from King Edward's and continued its activities including what?
(a) The production of a play.
(b) The production of a musical.
(c) The production of an opera.
(d) The production of a movie.
8. Part one relays details of what?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter's visit to Ronald Tolkien in 1967.
(b) Humphrey Carpenter's visit to Ronald Tolkien in 1947.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter's visit to Ronald Tolkien in 1957.
(d) Humphrey Carpenter's visit to Ronald Tolkien in 1977.
9. While at Leeds Tolkien met up with Eric Valentine Gordon. How did he know Eric?
(a) Tolkien had been friends with Eric's parents.
(b) Tolkien had tutored him at one point.
(c) Eric had introduced Edith the Tolkien.
(d) Eric had tutored him at one point.
10. Why did Ronald not follow suit when Hilary signed up to become a soldier?
(a) He was afraid of war.
(b) He did not believe in war.
(c) He was concerned about leaving Oxford and wanted to finish his studies.
(d) He was not feeling well.
11. What was the sole purpose of this club?
(a) To eat Swedish food.
(b) To read Scandinavian literature.
(c) To drink massive quantities of beer, read sagas, and sing.
(d) To learn a foreign language.
12. The second language was Sindarin, which was reminiscent of _________, Tolkien's second favorite language.
13. Carpenter meets Edith. How does he describe her?
(a) Very quiet and shy.
(b) Very odd and unusual.
(c) Very petite and pleasant.
(d) Very depressed and rude.
14. When did Father Francis permit Tolkien to write to Edith?
(a) On her birthday.
(b) On Christmas.
(c) On his birthday.
(d) On Easter.
15. Why does the couple move into the Bank House?
(a) It is on the premises of the Bank of Africa, where Arthur is employed.
(b) It is in England.
(c) It is a small, modest home.
(d) It is near the train station.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien talk about the series?
2. The important thing for Tolkien was to be able to create a remote and strange land while adhering to what?
3. In 1891 Mabel Suffield leaves her family in Birmingham to travel where?
4. Tolkien had decided that in order to create a new language he would also have to create what?
5. Tolkien received a letter from Christopher Wiseman, informing him that who had been killed?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)