|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Together Gordon and Tolkien formed what?
(a) The Swedish Club.
(b) The Viking Club.
(c) The Scandinavian Club.
(d) The Nors Club.
2. Ronald returned to his studies only to find that he had fallen behind and had to cram six weeks of work into a short period of time in order to complete the course. In what place did he come?
3. What has been converted into an office?
(a) The basement.
(b) The porch.
(c) The bedroom.
(d) The garage.
4. Did Father Francis accept the news of the engagement?
(a) Yes, he was very excited.
(b) Yes, but he was not thrilled.
(c) Yes, he was fairly thrilled.
5. How does Tolkien talk about the series?
(a) As if it were absurd.
(b) As if it were an embarrassment.
(c) As if it is historical fact and not his own creation.
(d) As if it was never written.
6. As Ronald and Edith's wedding drew nearer, what became a concern?
(a) The subject of where the wedding would be held.
(b) The subject of religion.
(c) The subject of where they would live.
(d) The subject of children.
7. For the next couple of years why did Edith travel?
(a) To be with Ronald.
(b) To be away from home.
(c) To explore the world.
(d) To have some freedom.
8. Carpenter believes that Tolkien may have substituted his mother with what?
(a) His friends.
(b) His faith in the Catholic Church.
(c) His writing.
(d) His love for Edith.
9. For what was Tolkien known, regarding his personality?
(a) Having no sense of humor.
(b) Being serious.
(c) Having a good sense of humor.
(d) Being shy and quiet.
10. Where did Tolkien work when he returned to Oxford?
(a) In the school bookstore.
(b) The New English Dictionary workroom.
(c) In a library.
(d) In a Barnes and Noble.
11. Whose words inspired Tolkien to write his great epic work?
(a) C.S. Lewis' words.
(b) Hilary's words.
(c) T.S. Elliot's words.
(d) G.B. Smith's words.
12. Tolkien jumped into his studies and was thrilled when he had the opportunity to do what?
(a) Meet Father Francis for dinner.
(b) Meet C.S. Lewis.
(c) Meet Edith.
(d) Meet Joseph Wright, a Professor of Comparative Philology.
13. Mabel decides to convert to what religion?
14. In January 1913, Ronald Tolkien turned 21 and was thrilled that he could finally do what?
(a) Graduate from college.
(b) Drive a car.
(c) Be reunited with Edith.
(d) Visit his brother.
15. It was during this time that Tolkien started to do what?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Father Francis permit Tolkien to write to Edith?
2. At the Oratory, who does Mabel Tolkien meet?
3. Why did Edith and her cousin Jennie Grove move back to Cheltenham?
4. Tolkien began to pay the most attention to what as opposed to the story itself?
5. In 1917, Edith gave birth to a baby boy, John Francis Reuel; the name Francis as a tribute to whom?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)