|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ronald and Edith return from their honeymoon, and Ronald receives his first rejection letter for what?
(b) A myth.
(c) A novel.
(d) A play.
2. What does Mabel think of Bloemfontein?
(a) She does not think anything of it.
(b) She loves it.
(c) She is not fond of it.
(d) She is afraid of it.
3. While at Leeds Tolkien met up with Eric Valentine Gordon. How did he know Eric?
(a) Eric had tutored him at one point.
(b) Eric had introduced Edith the Tolkien.
(c) Tolkien had been friends with Eric's parents.
(d) Tolkien had tutored him at one point.
4. In 1922, Tolkien was appointed to the position of Professorship of the English Language. What is unique about this position?
(a) It was created for Tolkien's predecessor.
(b) It is the oldest position.
(c) It was created especially for Tolkien.
(d) It is not a real position.
5. Did Father Francis accept the news of the engagement?
(b) Yes, he was fairly thrilled.
(c) Yes, he was very excited.
(d) Yes, but he was not thrilled.
6. Tolkien was fortunate to survive what he referred to as what?
(a) "Silly warfare."
(b) "Unreasonable warfare."
(c) "Trench warfare."
(d) "Rediculous warfare."
7. How does Tolkien talk about the series?
(a) As if it were absurd.
(b) As if it were an embarrassment.
(c) As if it is historical fact and not his own creation.
(d) As if it was never written.
8. Some of the pressure was relieved when Ronald received a scholarship titled the "Open Classical Exhibition" to where?
(a) Exeter College.
(d) Xavier College.
9. Father Francis was still angry with Ronald for what?
(a) Getting married.
(b) Skipping school.
(c) Leaving King Edward's school.
(d) Deceiving him regarding the relationship of Edith.
10. Carpenter believes that Tolkien may have substituted his mother with what?
(a) His friends.
(b) His love for Edith.
(c) His faith in the Catholic Church.
(d) His writing.
11. Eventually the group changed its name to the "Barrovian Society" but often referred to it as what?
12. Why does the couple move into the Bank House?
(a) It is on the premises of the Bank of Africa, where Arthur is employed.
(b) It is near the train station.
(c) It is a small, modest home.
(d) It is in England.
13. What happens in 1895 when Mabel and the boys return to England for a visit?
(a) Arthur Tolkien's health begins to fail.
(b) Arthur Tolkien says they can stay.
(c) Mabel Tolkien says she is not leaving England.
(d) Mabel Tolkien's health begins to fail.
14. Tolkien had decided that in order to create a new language he would also have to create what?
(a) A new alphabet.
(b) A new planet.
(c) A new country.
(d) A history around it.
15. What has been converted into an office?
(a) The garage.
(b) The basement.
(c) The bedroom.
(d) The porch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Without Edith, Ronald focused his entire life around what?
2. Tolkien replied that he felt the club they had created had come to an end. What is Smith's reply?
3. How is this conversion received by her family?
4. Together Gordon and Tolkien formed what?
5. Meanwhile Mabel and the boys would live where?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)