|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Carpenter is expected, but is greeted with some puzzlement. Why?
(a) As if the professor has forgotten his own name.
(b) As if the professor does not know where he is.
(c) As if the professor has forgotten about the appointment.
(d) As if the professor does not know him.
2. In 1917, Edith gave birth to a baby boy, John Francis Reuel; the name Francis as a tribute to whom?
(a) Her father.
(b) Father Francis Morgan.
(c) Tolkien's grandfather.
(d) Her grandfather.
3. Together Gordon and Tolkien formed what?
(a) The Viking Club.
(b) The Nors Club.
(c) The Swedish Club.
(d) The Scandinavian Club.
4. The important thing for Tolkien was to be able to create a remote and strange land while adhering to what?
(a) His mother's beliefs.
(b) Society's rules.
(c) Other's beliefs.
(d) His beliefs.
5. What was Ronald's group of friends and fellow students unofficially named?
(a) The "Boys' Club."
(b) The "Literature Club."
(c) The "Authors' Club."
(d) The "Tea Club."
6. What was the sole purpose of this club?
(a) To read Scandinavian literature.
(b) To drink massive quantities of beer, read sagas, and sing.
(c) To eat Swedish food.
(d) To learn a foreign language.
7. Eventually the group changed its name to the "Barrovian Society" but often referred to it as what?
8. What will Mabel do about housing?
(a) She will stay with a friend.
(b) She will look for an inexpensive house to rent.
(c) She will buy a home.
(d) She will stay with her in-laws.
9. It was also important that the work did not become what?
(a) A waste of time.
(b) A metaphor.
(c) An embarrassment.
(d) An allegory.
10. What did Ronald do when he found out Edith was engaged to be married?
(a) He convinced her to break her engagement to marry him.
(b) He became very depressed.
(c) He told Edith good bye for the last time.
(d) He found a new girlfriend.
11. Ronald was stricken with what the doctors referred to as what?
(a) "Trench disease."
(b) "A fever of unknown origin."
(c) "Trench fever."
(d) "Pyrexia of unknown origin."
12. What does Mabel decide to do about her children's education?
(a) She pays for them to attend the most expensive school in the country.
(b) She ends it.
(c) She will homeschool them.
(d) She sends them to a neighbor for tutoring.
13. Why did Ronald not follow suit when Hilary signed up to become a soldier?
(a) He was not feeling well.
(b) He was concerned about leaving Oxford and wanted to finish his studies.
(c) He was afraid of war.
(d) He did not believe in war.
14. Tolkien jumped into his studies and was thrilled when he had the opportunity to do what?
(a) Meet Edith.
(b) Meet C.S. Lewis.
(c) Meet Joseph Wright, a Professor of Comparative Philology.
(d) Meet Father Francis for dinner.
15. Tolkien began writing what he referred to as "The Book of Lost Tales." The first story would eventually become what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Some of the pressure was relieved when Ronald received a scholarship titled the "Open Classical Exhibition" to where?
2. The family settles into their new home and Tolkien embraced his duties as what?
3. It was during this time that Tolkien started to do what?
4. As Ronald and Edith's wedding drew nearer, what became a concern?
5. Carpenter meets Edith. How does he describe her?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)