|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mabel notices that Ronald is a bright student who is interested in what?
2. Chapter 7, titled "War," takes place during the summer of _________, after England declared war on Germany.
3. Why does Mabel travel here?
(a) To marry Arthur Tolkien.
(b) To find a job.
(c) To find her parents.
(d) To search for a husband.
4. Why does the couple move into the Bank House?
(a) It is in England.
(b) It is on the premises of the Bank of Africa, where Arthur is employed.
(c) It is a small, modest home.
(d) It is near the train station.
5. Mabel decides to convert to what religion?
6. North Oxford had become a community of academics, their wives, and families who lived where?
(a) In the grand mansions and suburban villas.
(b) In cheap rental homes.
(c) In small, modest homes.
(d) In large apartments.
7. Many people question how Tolkien could create a mythology without a clear presence of ________ considering his devout Catholic faith.
8. What was the sole purpose of this club?
(a) To read Scandinavian literature.
(b) To eat Swedish food.
(c) To learn a foreign language.
(d) To drink massive quantities of beer, read sagas, and sing.
9. Without Edith, Ronald focused his entire life around what?
(a) His friends.
(b) His faith.
(c) Another young lady.
(d) School at King Edward's.
10. Eventually the group changed its name to the "Barrovian Society" but often referred to it as what?
11. Additionally, Tolkien wanted to create an English mythology like that of the Norse or Finnish cultures using the same intense feeling he put into what?
(a) His early plays.
(b) His early songs.
(c) His early poetry.
(d) His early operas.
12. Why is the trip to England postponed?
(a) Arthur loses his job.
(b) Mabel becomes ill.
(c) Mabel becomes pregnant.
(d) There is a horrible storm.
13. As Tolkien was recovering from trench fever, Christopher Wiseman wrote and told his friend that it was time to start what?
(a) Writing the epic.
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Writing a small book.
(d) Writing short stories.
14. What was Ronald's group of friends and fellow students unofficially named?
(a) The "Literature Club."
(b) The "Boys' Club."
(c) The "Authors' Club."
(d) The "Tea Club."
15. Tolkien received a letter from Christopher Wiseman, informing him that who had been killed?
(a) C.S. Lewis.
(b) His brother.
(c) G. B. Smith.
(d) Jimmy Smits.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some of the pressure was relieved when Ronald received a scholarship titled the "Open Classical Exhibition" to where?
2. For the next couple of years why did Edith travel?
3. Father Francis was still angry with Ronald for what?
4. Much to Ronald's delight his childhood club survived graduation from King Edward's and continued its activities including what?
5. Whose words inspired Tolkien to write his great epic work?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)