|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Without Edith, Ronald focused his entire life around what?
(a) Another young lady.
(b) His friends.
(c) School at King Edward's.
(d) His faith.
2. The second language was Sindarin, which was reminiscent of _________, Tolkien's second favorite language.
3. What did Ronald do when he found out Edith was engaged to be married?
(a) He convinced her to break her engagement to marry him.
(b) He became very depressed.
(c) He found a new girlfriend.
(d) He told Edith good bye for the last time.
4. As Ronald and Edith's wedding drew nearer, what became a concern?
(a) The subject of where the wedding would be held.
(b) The subject of where they would live.
(c) The subject of children.
(d) The subject of religion.
5. What is one of the many strange disturbances in the house at Bloemfontein?
(a) Monkeys climbing over the wall.
(b) Earthquakes occur.
(c) New hired help is brought in daily.
(d) The home is silent.
6. The family settles into their new home and Tolkien embraced his duties as what?
(a) A club advisor.
(b) A father.
(c) A professor.
(d) A writer.
7. For what was Tolkien known, regarding his personality?
(a) Being shy and quiet.
(b) Having no sense of humor.
(c) Having a good sense of humor.
(d) Being serious.
8. Tolkien had decided that in order to create a new language he would also have to create what?
(a) A new alphabet.
(b) A new country.
(c) A history around it.
(d) A new planet.
9. Part one relays details of what?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter's visit to Ronald Tolkien in 1967.
(b) Humphrey Carpenter's visit to Ronald Tolkien in 1947.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter's visit to Ronald Tolkien in 1957.
(d) Humphrey Carpenter's visit to Ronald Tolkien in 1977.
10. Eventually the group changed its name to the "Barrovian Society" but often referred to it as what?
11. Some of the pressure was relieved when Ronald received a scholarship titled the "Open Classical Exhibition" to where?
(a) Xavier College.
(c) Exeter College.
12. Tolkien replied that he felt the club they had created had come to an end. What is Smith's reply?
(a) The N.C.A.A. had ended.
(b) The T.C.C.C. would never end.
(c) The T.C.B.S. would never end.
(d) The T.C.B.Y had ended.
13. While at Leeds Tolkien met up with Eric Valentine Gordon. How did he know Eric?
(a) Tolkien had been friends with Eric's parents.
(b) Eric had tutored him at one point.
(c) Eric had introduced Edith the Tolkien.
(d) Tolkien had tutored him at one point.
14. Tolkien was fortunate to survive what he referred to as what?
(a) "Trench warfare."
(b) "Rediculous warfare."
(c) "Unreasonable warfare."
(d) "Silly warfare."
15. It was during this time that Tolkien started to do what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Carpenter believes that Tolkien may have substituted his mother with what?
2. Ronald spent his final year at King Edward's deeply involved in what?
3. In 1924, Edith gave birth to a third son, Christopher Reuel, named after whom?
4. For the next couple of years why did Edith travel?
5. In 1922, Tolkien was appointed to the position of Professorship of the English Language. What is unique about this position?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)