|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mabel think of Bloemfontein?
(a) She loves it.
(b) She does not think anything of it.
(c) She is not fond of it.
(d) She is afraid of it.
2. Ronald managed to fit in with the help of some fellow ___________.
(b) Protestant students.
(c) Young men.
(d) Catholic students.
3. At this point Carpenter introduces __________, a friend of Tolkien's and popular lecturer on medieval studies.
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(b) C.S. Lewis.
(c) P.T. Barnum.
(d) P.T. Deutermann.
4. Ronald and Edith return from their honeymoon, and Ronald receives his first rejection letter for what?
(a) A play.
(c) A myth.
(d) A novel.
5. What does Mabel decide to do about her children's education?
(a) She pays for them to attend the most expensive school in the country.
(b) She sends them to a neighbor for tutoring.
(c) She will homeschool them.
(d) She ends it.
6. Ronald spent his final year at King Edward's deeply involved in what?
(a) Planning his life after graduation.
(b) The debating society and the football league.
(c) A secret relationship with Edith.
(d) Thinking about Edith.
7. The important thing for Tolkien was to be able to create a remote and strange land while adhering to what?
(a) His mother's beliefs.
(b) Society's rules.
(c) His beliefs.
(d) Other's beliefs.
8. Where did Tolkien work when he returned to Oxford?
(a) In a library.
(b) In a Barnes and Noble.
(c) The New English Dictionary workroom.
(d) In the school bookstore.
9. For the next couple of years why did Edith travel?
(a) To have some freedom.
(b) To be with Ronald.
(c) To be away from home.
(d) To explore the world.
10. To Tolkien, this death represented what?
(a) The beginning of an era.
(b) The end of his life.
(c) The end of the world.
(d) The end of an era.
11. Ronald received medical care, but never got any better. What happened next?
(a) He was sent to a hospital in the United States.
(b) He was released back to battle.
(c) He was sent home to England.
(d) He stayed in a hospital in Germany.
12. Ronald returned to his studies only to find that he had fallen behind and had to cram six weeks of work into a short period of time in order to complete the course. In what place did he come?
13. The second language was Sindarin, which was reminiscent of _________, Tolkien's second favorite language.
14. Chapter 7, titled "War," takes place during the summer of _________, after England declared war on Germany.
15. Why does Mabel travel here?
(a) To find a job.
(b) To search for a husband.
(c) To find her parents.
(d) To marry Arthur Tolkien.
Short Answer Questions
1. Until the late 1800s, at what university were most of the college fellows required to take holy vows and not permitted to marry?
2. Who introduced "non-clerical fellowships" that effectively eliminated a vow of celibacy?
3. Carpenter meets Edith. How does he describe her?
4. It was also important that the work did not become what?
5. Carpenter is expected, but is greeted with some puzzlement. Why?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)