|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ronald received medical care, but never got any better. What happened next?
(a) He stayed in a hospital in Germany.
(b) He was released back to battle.
(c) He was sent home to England.
(d) He was sent to a hospital in the United States.
2. St. Philip's is not the best school for the boys and eventually Ronald wins a scholarship to where?
(a) King Edward's school.
(b) King Phillip's school.
(c) King William's school.
(d) King Harry's school.
3. Chapter 7, titled "War," takes place during the summer of _________, after England declared war on Germany.
4. How does Ronald feel the moment he sets foot on campus?
(a) He is unhappy and depressed.
(b) He knows the college was bound to be his real home.
(c) He is very nervous and unsure.
(d) He misses King Edward's school.
5. Why did Ronald not follow suit when Hilary signed up to become a soldier?
(a) He was not feeling well.
(b) He was concerned about leaving Oxford and wanted to finish his studies.
(c) He did not believe in war.
(d) He was afraid of war.
6. Without Edith, Ronald focused his entire life around what?
(a) School at King Edward's.
(b) His friends.
(c) His faith.
(d) Another young lady.
7. Ronald was adamant that Edith become what?
(a) A Buddhist.
(b) A Hindu.
(c) A Protestant.
(d) A Catholic.
8. Who introduced "non-clerical fellowships" that effectively eliminated a vow of celibacy?
(a) A group of reformers .
(b) The Tolkiens.
(c) A group of Americans.
(d) A group of radical Catholics.
9. How is this conversion received by her family?
(a) Very well.
(c) Fairly well.
(d) Not well.
10. While in service Tolkien received a letter from his friend, G. B. Smith, stating that who had been killed?
(a) Bob Gibson.
(b) Job Gilson.
(c) Rob Gilson.
(d) Joe Gibson.
11. Some of the pressure was relieved when Ronald received a scholarship titled the "Open Classical Exhibition" to where?
(b) Exeter College.
(d) Xavier College.
12. In 1929 Edith gave birth to their fourth and final child, ___________.
(a) Penny Megan Reuel.
(b) Priscilla Mary Reuel.
(c) Patricia Morgan Reuel.
(d) Penelope Maria Reuel.
13. What is one of the many strange disturbances in the house at Bloemfontein?
(a) Monkeys climbing over the wall.
(b) The home is silent.
(c) Earthquakes occur.
(d) New hired help is brought in daily.
14. What was Ronald's group of friends and fellow students unofficially named?
(a) The "Literature Club."
(b) The "Tea Club."
(c) The "Authors' Club."
(d) The "Boys' Club."
15. As Ronald and Edith's wedding drew nearer, what became a concern?
(a) The subject of where the wedding would be held.
(b) The subject of children.
(c) The subject of religion.
(d) The subject of where they would live.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ronald do when he found out Edith was engaged to be married?
2. To Tolkien, this death represented what?
3. Ronald and Edith return from their honeymoon, and Ronald receives his first rejection letter for what?
4. Tolkien received a letter from Christopher Wiseman, informing him that who had been killed?
5. Much to Ronald's delight his childhood club survived graduation from King Edward's and continued its activities including what?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)