|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One notable aspect of the photos is what?
(a) The way Ronald Tolkien interacted with his family.
(b) The way Ronald Tolkien posed.
(c) The way Ronald Tolkien cut his hair.
(d) The way Ronald Tolkien preferred to dress.
2. The important thing for Tolkien was to be able to create a remote and strange land while adhering to what?
(a) Other's beliefs.
(b) His mother's beliefs.
(c) His beliefs.
(d) Society's rules.
3. Ronald returned to his studies only to find that he had fallen behind and had to cram six weeks of work into a short period of time in order to complete the course. In what place did he come?
4. What did Ronald do when he found out Edith was engaged to be married?
(a) He told Edith good bye for the last time.
(b) He found a new girlfriend.
(c) He became very depressed.
(d) He convinced her to break her engagement to marry him.
5. Chapter 7, titled "War," takes place during the summer of _________, after England declared war on Germany.
6. Ronald was stricken with what the doctors referred to as what?
(a) "Trench fever."
(b) "A fever of unknown origin."
(c) "Pyrexia of unknown origin."
(d) "Trench disease."
7. For what was Tolkien known, regarding his personality?
(a) Being serious.
(b) Having a good sense of humor.
(c) Being shy and quiet.
(d) Having no sense of humor.
8. Why did Ronald not follow suit when Hilary signed up to become a soldier?
(a) He was not feeling well.
(b) He did not believe in war.
(c) He was afraid of war.
(d) He was concerned about leaving Oxford and wanted to finish his studies.
9. Additionally, Tolkien wanted to create an English mythology like that of the Norse or Finnish cultures using the same intense feeling he put into what?
(a) His early songs.
(b) His early plays.
(c) His early operas.
(d) His early poetry.
10. North Oxford had become a community of academics, their wives, and families who lived where?
(a) In small, modest homes.
(b) In cheap rental homes.
(c) In large apartments.
(d) In the grand mansions and suburban villas.
11. Together Gordon and Tolkien formed what?
(a) The Swedish Club.
(b) The Scandinavian Club.
(c) The Viking Club.
(d) The Nors Club.
12. What will Mabel do about housing?
(a) She will stay with her in-laws.
(b) She will buy a home.
(c) She will stay with a friend.
(d) She will look for an inexpensive house to rent.
13. What is one of the many strange disturbances in the house at Bloemfontein?
(a) Monkeys climbing over the wall.
(b) New hired help is brought in daily.
(c) Earthquakes occur.
(d) The home is silent.
14. Did Father Francis accept the news of the engagement?
(a) Yes, he was very excited.
(c) Yes, he was fairly thrilled.
(d) Yes, but he was not thrilled.
15. The family settles into their new home and Tolkien embraced his duties as what?
(a) A professor.
(b) A father.
(c) A club advisor.
(d) A writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in 1895 when Mabel and the boys return to England for a visit?
2. Ronald and Edith return from their honeymoon, and Ronald receives his first rejection letter for what?
3. What was the sole purpose of this club?
4. In 1922, Tolkien was appointed to the position of Professorship of the English Language. What is unique about this position?
5. Eventually the group changed its name to the "Barrovian Society" but often referred to it as what?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)