|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One notable aspect of the photos is what?
(a) The way Ronald Tolkien posed.
(b) The way Ronald Tolkien cut his hair.
(c) The way Ronald Tolkien preferred to dress.
(d) The way Ronald Tolkien interacted with his family.
2. It was during this time that Tolkien started to do what?
3. In November, Mabel falls into what and dies?
(a) A hole.
(b) A deep sleep.
(c) A Diabetic coma.
(d) A strong fever.
4. In 1917, Edith gave birth to a baby boy, John Francis Reuel; the name Francis as a tribute to whom?
(a) Father Francis Morgan.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Tolkien's grandfather.
(d) Her father.
5. Why is the baby named John?
(a) After his uncle.
(b) After his father.
(c) After his grandfather.
(d) After a friend of the family.
6. Mabel decides to convert to what religion?
7. Eventually the group changed its name to the "Barrovian Society" but often referred to it as what?
8. While in service Tolkien received a letter from his friend, G. B. Smith, stating that who had been killed?
(a) Job Gilson.
(b) Bob Gibson.
(c) Rob Gilson.
(d) Joe Gibson.
9. Some of the pressure was relieved when Ronald received a scholarship titled the "Open Classical Exhibition" to where?
(a) Exeter College.
(b) Xavier College.
10. What has been converted into an office?
(a) The porch.
(b) The basement.
(c) The garage.
(d) The bedroom.
11. In 1891 Mabel Suffield leaves her family in Birmingham to travel where?
(a) To South Africa.
(b) To South Vietnam.
(c) To South America.
(d) To South Korea.
12. Did Father Francis accept the news of the engagement?
(b) Yes, he was very excited.
(c) Yes, he was fairly thrilled.
(d) Yes, but he was not thrilled.
13. North Oxford had become a community of academics, their wives, and families who lived where?
(a) In large apartments.
(b) In small, modest homes.
(c) In the grand mansions and suburban villas.
(d) In cheap rental homes.
14. In 1929 Edith gave birth to their fourth and final child, ___________.
(a) Priscilla Mary Reuel.
(b) Penny Megan Reuel.
(c) Penelope Maria Reuel.
(d) Patricia Morgan Reuel.
15. To Tolkien, this death represented what?
(a) The end of the world.
(b) The beginning of an era.
(c) The end of an era.
(d) The end of his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Together Gordon and Tolkien formed what?
2. Ronald was stricken with what the doctors referred to as what?
3. Part one relays details of what?
4. How does Ronald feel the moment he sets foot on campus?
5. Carpenter points out that in every photograph the situation and location seemed to be what?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)