|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ronald was stricken with what the doctors referred to as what?
(a) "Pyrexia of unknown origin."
(b) "Trench fever."
(c) "A fever of unknown origin."
(d) "Trench disease."
2. For the next couple of years why did Edith travel?
(a) To have some freedom.
(b) To explore the world.
(c) To be away from home.
(d) To be with Ronald.
3. In January 1913, Ronald Tolkien turned 21 and was thrilled that he could finally do what?
(a) Be reunited with Edith.
(b) Graduate from college.
(c) Drive a car.
(d) Visit his brother.
4. In 1929 Edith gave birth to their fourth and final child, ___________.
(a) Penny Megan Reuel.
(b) Priscilla Mary Reuel.
(c) Penelope Maria Reuel.
(d) Patricia Morgan Reuel.
5. Additionally, Tolkien wanted to create an English mythology like that of the Norse or Finnish cultures using the same intense feeling he put into what?
(a) His early poetry.
(b) His early songs.
(c) His early operas.
(d) His early plays.
6. How does Mabel feel when Arthur tells his father that he cannot see returning to England on a permanent basis?
7. North Oxford had become a community of academics, their wives, and families who lived where?
(a) In cheap rental homes.
(b) In the grand mansions and suburban villas.
(c) In large apartments.
(d) In small, modest homes.
8. Ronald received medical care, but never got any better. What happened next?
(a) He was released back to battle.
(b) He stayed in a hospital in Germany.
(c) He was sent home to England.
(d) He was sent to a hospital in the United States.
9. Carpenter meets Edith. How does he describe her?
(a) Very odd and unusual.
(b) Very quiet and shy.
(c) Very depressed and rude.
(d) Very petite and pleasant.
10. For what was Tolkien known, regarding his personality?
(a) Having a good sense of humor.
(b) Being shy and quiet.
(c) Being serious.
(d) Having no sense of humor.
11. Mabel notices that Ronald is a bright student who is interested in what?
12. Many people question how Tolkien could create a mythology without a clear presence of ________ considering his devout Catholic faith.
13. Tolkien began to pay the most attention to what as opposed to the story itself?
(a) The people.
(b) The language.
(c) The time period.
(d) The landscape.
14. Until the late 1800s, at what university were most of the college fellows required to take holy vows and not permitted to marry?
15. Tolkien is in the process of working on what?
(a) A contradiction that appears in THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
(b) A sequel to THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
(c) A new book.
(d) A movie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Mabel do about housing?
2. Tolkien began writing what he referred to as "The Book of Lost Tales." The first story would eventually become what?
3. While at Leeds Tolkien met up with Eric Valentine Gordon. How did he know Eric?
4. Eventually the group changed its name to the "Barrovian Society" but often referred to it as what?
5. Tolkien was fortunate to survive what he referred to as what?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)