|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It was during this time that Tolkien started to do what?
2. Who introduced "non-clerical fellowships" that effectively eliminated a vow of celibacy?
(a) A group of radical Catholics.
(b) The Tolkiens.
(c) A group of Americans.
(d) A group of reformers .
3. Chapter 7, titled "War," takes place during the summer of _________, after England declared war on Germany.
4. What did Ronald do when he found out Edith was engaged to be married?
(a) He convinced her to break her engagement to marry him.
(b) He told Edith good bye for the last time.
(c) He became very depressed.
(d) He found a new girlfriend.
5. Ronald was adamant that Edith become what?
(a) A Protestant.
(b) A Hindu.
(c) A Buddhist.
(d) A Catholic.
6. Tolkien received a letter from Christopher Wiseman, informing him that who had been killed?
(a) His brother.
(b) G. B. Smith.
(c) Jimmy Smits.
(d) C.S. Lewis.
7. In 1920, Ronald applied for a job at the University of Leeds as what?
(a) A Reader in English Language.
(b) A Professor of Philology.
(c) A Professor of English.
(d) A Reader in Foreign Language.
8. Mabel decides to convert to what religion?
9. Ronald and Edith return from their honeymoon, and Ronald receives his first rejection letter for what?
(a) A myth.
(b) A novel.
(d) A play.
10. Did Father Francis accept the news of the engagement?
(a) Yes, he was very excited.
(b) Yes, but he was not thrilled.
(d) Yes, he was fairly thrilled.
11. Tolkien began writing what he referred to as "The Book of Lost Tales." The first story would eventually become what?
12. At the Oratory, who does Mabel Tolkien meet?
(a) Father Frederick Xander Miller.
(b) Father Francis Xavier Morgan.
(c) Father Frank Alexander Montgomery.
(d) Father Filipo Alessandro Mulligan.
13. To Tolkien, this death represented what?
(a) The end of the world.
(b) The end of his life.
(c) The end of an era.
(d) The beginning of an era.
14. What will Mabel do about housing?
(a) She will look for an inexpensive house to rent.
(b) She will stay with her in-laws.
(c) She will stay with a friend.
(d) She will buy a home.
15. North Oxford had become a community of academics, their wives, and families who lived where?
(a) In large apartments.
(b) In the grand mansions and suburban villas.
(c) In cheap rental homes.
(d) In small, modest homes.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in service Tolkien received a letter from his friend, G. B. Smith, stating that who had been killed?
2. Many people question how Tolkien could create a mythology without a clear presence of ________ considering his devout Catholic faith.
3. Tolkien was fortunate to survive what he referred to as what?
4. St. Philip's is not the best school for the boys and eventually Ronald wins a scholarship to where?
5. How does Ronald feel the moment he sets foot on campus?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)