|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Without Edith, Ronald focused his entire life around what?
(a) School at King Edward's.
(b) His faith.
(c) Another young lady.
(d) His friends.
2. Why did Ronald not follow suit when Hilary signed up to become a soldier?
(a) He was not feeling well.
(b) He was concerned about leaving Oxford and wanted to finish his studies.
(c) He did not believe in war.
(d) He was afraid of war.
3. Chapter 7, titled "War," takes place during the summer of _________, after England declared war on Germany.
4. One notable aspect of the photos is what?
(a) The way Ronald Tolkien posed.
(b) The way Ronald Tolkien interacted with his family.
(c) The way Ronald Tolkien cut his hair.
(d) The way Ronald Tolkien preferred to dress.
5. How is this conversion received by her family?
(a) Fairly well.
(b) Not well.
(c) Very well.
6. How does Mabel feel when Arthur tells his father that he cannot see returning to England on a permanent basis?
7. Tolkien replied that he felt the club they had created had come to an end. What is Smith's reply?
(a) The N.C.A.A. had ended.
(b) The T.C.B.Y had ended.
(c) The T.C.C.C. would never end.
(d) The T.C.B.S. would never end.
8. Tolkien received a letter from Christopher Wiseman, informing him that who had been killed?
(a) His brother.
(b) C.S. Lewis.
(c) Jimmy Smits.
(d) G. B. Smith.
9. In January 1913, Ronald Tolkien turned 21 and was thrilled that he could finally do what?
(a) Be reunited with Edith.
(b) Visit his brother.
(c) Graduate from college.
(d) Drive a car.
10. Carpenter is expected, but is greeted with some puzzlement. Why?
(a) As if the professor has forgotten his own name.
(b) As if the professor does not know him.
(c) As if the professor has forgotten about the appointment.
(d) As if the professor does not know where he is.
11. Ronald spent his final year at King Edward's deeply involved in what?
(a) The debating society and the football league.
(b) Thinking about Edith.
(c) A secret relationship with Edith.
(d) Planning his life after graduation.
12. Many people question how Tolkien could create a mythology without a clear presence of ________ considering his devout Catholic faith.
13. Carpenter points out that in every photograph the situation and location seemed to be what?
(b) Very odd.
(c) Quite ordinary.
14. In 1891 Mabel Suffield leaves her family in Birmingham to travel where?
(a) To South America.
(b) To South Africa.
(c) To South Vietnam.
(d) To South Korea.
15. What has been converted into an office?
(a) The garage.
(b) The basement.
(c) The porch.
(d) The bedroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ronald do when he found out Edith was engaged to be married?
2. Additionally, Tolkien wanted to create an English mythology like that of the Norse or Finnish cultures using the same intense feeling he put into what?
3. Carpenter meets Edith. How does he describe her?
4. While in service Tolkien received a letter from his friend, G. B. Smith, stating that who had been killed?
5. Tolkien and Lewis both indulged in wearing what type of clothing?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)