|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tolkien jumped into his studies and was thrilled when he had the opportunity to do what?
(a) Meet Edith.
(b) Meet Father Francis for dinner.
(c) Meet C.S. Lewis.
(d) Meet Joseph Wright, a Professor of Comparative Philology.
2. Ronald was adamant that Edith become what?
(a) A Protestant.
(b) A Hindu.
(c) A Buddhist.
(d) A Catholic.
3. Whose words inspired Tolkien to write his great epic work?
(a) G.B. Smith's words.
(b) T.S. Elliot's words.
(c) C.S. Lewis' words.
(d) Hilary's words.
4. At this point Carpenter introduces __________, a friend of Tolkien's and popular lecturer on medieval studies.
(a) P.T. Barnum.
(b) P.T. Deutermann.
(c) T.S. Eliot.
(d) C.S. Lewis.
5. It was also important that the work did not become what?
(a) A waste of time.
(b) An allegory.
(c) A metaphor.
(d) An embarrassment.
6. In 1922, Tolkien was appointed to the position of Professorship of the English Language. What is unique about this position?
(a) It is not a real position.
(b) It was created especially for Tolkien.
(c) It is the oldest position.
(d) It was created for Tolkien's predecessor.
7. Ronald returned to his studies only to find that he had fallen behind and had to cram six weeks of work into a short period of time in order to complete the course. In what place did he come?
8. Together Gordon and Tolkien formed what?
(a) The Swedish Club.
(b) The Scandinavian Club.
(c) The Viking Club.
(d) The Nors Club.
9. Ronald managed to fit in with the help of some fellow ___________.
(a) Protestant students.
(b) Young men.
(d) Catholic students.
10. Why was Ronald eager to please Father Francis?
(a) Father Francis was still in charge of Ronald's monetary support.
(b) Father Francis can be very violent.
(c) Father Francis was like a father to him.
(d) He did not want to marry Edith unless Father Francis approved.
11. The small sum of money that had been invested by Arthur would only bring an income of ___________________ per week, an amount that is barely enough to sustain the family at the poverty level.
(a) 30 pounds.
(b) 50 shillings.
(c) 30 shillings.
(d) 50 pounds.
12. Father Francis was still angry with Ronald for what?
(a) Skipping school.
(b) Leaving King Edward's school.
(c) Getting married.
(d) Deceiving him regarding the relationship of Edith.
13. Mabel decides to convert to what religion?
14. How does Tolkien talk about the series?
(a) As if it were an embarrassment.
(b) As if it was never written.
(c) As if it were absurd.
(d) As if it is historical fact and not his own creation.
15. When did Father Francis permit Tolkien to write to Edith?
(a) On Easter.
(b) On Christmas.
(c) On her birthday.
(d) On his birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carpenter is expected, but is greeted with some puzzlement. Why?
2. Additionally, Tolkien wanted to create an English mythology like that of the Norse or Finnish cultures using the same intense feeling he put into what?
3. Meanwhile Mabel and the boys would live where?
4. Why does the couple move into the Bank House?
5. While at Leeds Tolkien met up with Eric Valentine Gordon. How did he know Eric?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)