|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While in service Tolkien received a letter from his friend, G. B. Smith, stating that who had been killed?
(a) Job Gilson.
(b) Rob Gilson.
(c) Bob Gibson.
(d) Joe Gibson.
2. It was also important that the work did not become what?
(a) An embarrassment.
(b) A metaphor.
(c) A waste of time.
(d) An allegory.
3. To Tolkien, this death represented what?
(a) The end of an era.
(b) The beginning of an era.
(c) The end of the world.
(d) The end of his life.
4. Why did Edith and her cousin Jennie Grove move back to Cheltenham?
(a) Edith was pregnant and completely miserable.
(b) Edith was tired of Tolkien.
(c) Edith missed home.
(d) Edith missed her family.
5. Ronald was adamant that Edith become what?
(a) A Protestant.
(b) A Buddhist.
(c) A Hindu.
(d) A Catholic.
6. For what was Tolkien known, regarding his personality?
(a) Being shy and quiet.
(b) Having a good sense of humor.
(c) Being serious.
(d) Having no sense of humor.
7. In January 1913, Ronald Tolkien turned 21 and was thrilled that he could finally do what?
(a) Graduate from college.
(b) Drive a car.
(c) Visit his brother.
(d) Be reunited with Edith.
8. Until the late 1800s, at what university were most of the college fellows required to take holy vows and not permitted to marry?
9. As Ronald and Edith's wedding drew nearer, what became a concern?
(a) The subject of children.
(b) The subject of religion.
(c) The subject of where they would live.
(d) The subject of where the wedding would be held.
10. One notable aspect of the photos is what?
(a) The way Ronald Tolkien posed.
(b) The way Ronald Tolkien cut his hair.
(c) The way Ronald Tolkien interacted with his family.
(d) The way Ronald Tolkien preferred to dress.
11. What has been converted into an office?
(a) The basement.
(b) The garage.
(c) The porch.
(d) The bedroom.
12. What was Ronald's group of friends and fellow students unofficially named?
(a) The "Authors' Club."
(b) The "Boys' Club."
(c) The "Literature Club."
(d) The "Tea Club."
13. Tolkien is in the process of working on what?
(a) A sequel to THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
(b) A movie.
(c) A contradiction that appears in THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
(d) A new book.
14. Meanwhile Mabel and the boys would live where?
(a) In an inexpensive rental.
(b) With friends.
(c) With her in-laws.
(d) With her parents.
15. Some of the pressure was relieved when Ronald received a scholarship titled the "Open Classical Exhibition" to where?
(b) Exeter College.
(d) Xavier College.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1924, Edith gave birth to a third son, Christopher Reuel, named after whom?
2. Tolkien jumped into his studies and was thrilled when he had the opportunity to do what?
3. What is one of the many strange disturbances in the house at Bloemfontein?
4. Without Edith, Ronald focused his entire life around what?
5. Where did Tolkien work when he returned to Oxford?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)