|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tolkien and Lewis both indulged in wearing what type of clothing?
(a) Extremely masculine clothes.
(b) Extremely fashionable clothes.
(c) Extremely flashy clothes.
(d) Extremely unusual clothes.
2. Tolkien had decided that in order to create a new language he would also have to create what?
(a) A new country.
(b) A new alphabet.
(c) A new planet.
(d) A history around it.
3. Additionally, Tolkien wanted to create an English mythology like that of the Norse or Finnish cultures using the same intense feeling he put into what?
(a) His early poetry.
(b) His early songs.
(c) His early plays.
(d) His early operas.
4. Ronald was stricken with what the doctors referred to as what?
(a) "Trench fever."
(b) "A fever of unknown origin."
(c) "Trench disease."
(d) "Pyrexia of unknown origin."
5. What happens in 1895 when Mabel and the boys return to England for a visit?
(a) Arthur Tolkien says they can stay.
(b) Mabel Tolkien says she is not leaving England.
(c) Arthur Tolkien's health begins to fail.
(d) Mabel Tolkien's health begins to fail.
6. Carpenter points out that in every photograph the situation and location seemed to be what?
(a) Quite ordinary.
(d) Very odd.
7. As Tolkien was recovering from trench fever, Christopher Wiseman wrote and told his friend that it was time to start what?
(a) Writing the epic.
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Writing a small book.
(d) Writing short stories.
8. How does Mabel feel when Arthur tells his father that he cannot see returning to England on a permanent basis?
9. Carpenter believes that Tolkien may have substituted his mother with what?
(a) His friends.
(b) His faith in the Catholic Church.
(c) His love for Edith.
(d) His writing.
10. In 1920, Ronald applied for a job at the University of Leeds as what?
(a) A Reader in English Language.
(b) A Professor of English.
(c) A Reader in Foreign Language.
(d) A Professor of Philology.
11. Mabel decides to convert to what religion?
12. Tolkien began to pay the most attention to what as opposed to the story itself?
(a) The people.
(b) The language.
(c) The landscape.
(d) The time period.
13. What is one of the many strange disturbances in the house at Bloemfontein?
(a) The home is silent.
(b) Monkeys climbing over the wall.
(c) Earthquakes occur.
(d) New hired help is brought in daily.
14. What did Ronald do when he found out Edith was engaged to be married?
(a) He told Edith good bye for the last time.
(b) He became very depressed.
(c) He found a new girlfriend.
(d) He convinced her to break her engagement to marry him.
15. Ronald spent his final year at King Edward's deeply involved in what?
(a) Planning his life after graduation.
(b) Thinking about Edith.
(c) The debating society and the football league.
(d) A secret relationship with Edith.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was also important that the work did not become what?
2. In November, Mabel falls into what and dies?
3. Carpenter is expected, but is greeted with some puzzlement. Why?
4. Meanwhile Mabel and the boys would live where?
5. Whose words inspired Tolkien to write his great epic work?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)