Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Members of Exeter College saw great promise in the student and suggested that Ronald become what?
(a) A philologist.
(b) A playwright.
(c) A psychologist.
(d) A philosopher.
2. Where did Tolkien work when he returned to Oxford?
(a) The New English Dictionary workroom.
(b) In the school bookstore.
(c) In a Barnes and Noble.
(d) In a library.
3. Why did Edith and her cousin Jennie Grove move back to Cheltenham?
(a) Edith was tired of Tolkien.
(b) Edith missed her family.
(c) Edith missed home.
(d) Edith was pregnant and completely miserable.
4. As Tolkien was recovering from trench fever, Christopher Wiseman wrote and told his friend that it was time to start what?
(a) Writing the epic.
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Writing short stories.
(d) Writing a small book.
5. Father Francis was still angry with Ronald for what?
(a) Skipping school.
(b) Leaving King Edward's school.
(c) Deceiving him regarding the relationship of Edith.
(d) Getting married.
6. In 1920, Ronald applied for a job at the University of Leeds as what?
(a) A Reader in Foreign Language.
(b) A Professor of English.
(c) A Reader in English Language.
(d) A Professor of Philology.
7. The first language Tolkien produced to his own satisfaction was _____________, a complex language based on the Finnish vocabulary.
8. Many people question how Tolkien could create a mythology without a clear presence of ________ considering his devout Catholic faith.
9. Some of the pressure was relieved when Ronald received a scholarship titled the "Open Classical Exhibition" to where?
(b) Exeter College.
(c) Xavier College.
10. Tolkien had decided that in order to create a new language he would also have to create what?
(a) A new alphabet.
(b) A new country.
(c) A history around it.
(d) A new planet.
11. For the next couple of years why did Edith travel?
(a) To have some freedom.
(b) To explore the world.
(c) To be with Ronald.
(d) To be away from home.
12. The family settles into their new home and Tolkien embraced his duties as what?
(a) A club advisor.
(b) A professor.
(c) A writer.
(d) A father.
13. Mabel decides to convert to what religion?
14. The small sum of money that had been invested by Arthur would only bring an income of ___________________ per week, an amount that is barely enough to sustain the family at the poverty level.
(a) 50 pounds.
(b) 30 shillings.
(c) 30 pounds.
(d) 50 shillings.
15. Eventually the group changed its name to the "Barrovian Society" but often referred to it as what?
Short Answer Questions
1. The second language was Sindarin, which was reminiscent of _________, Tolkien's second favorite language.
2. Additionally, Tolkien wanted to create an English mythology like that of the Norse or Finnish cultures using the same intense feeling he put into what?
3. Ronald managed to fit in with the help of some fellow ___________.
4. One notable aspect of the photos is what?
5. How does Ronald feel the moment he sets foot on campus?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)