|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1922, Tolkien was appointed to the position of Professorship of the English Language. What is unique about this position?
(a) It is not a real position.
(b) It was created especially for Tolkien.
(c) It is the oldest position.
(d) It was created for Tolkien's predecessor.
2. Until the late 1800s, at what university were most of the college fellows required to take holy vows and not permitted to marry?
3. The important thing for Tolkien was to be able to create a remote and strange land while adhering to what?
(a) His beliefs.
(b) Other's beliefs.
(c) Society's rules.
(d) His mother's beliefs.
4. Tolkien replied that he felt the club they had created had come to an end. What is Smith's reply?
(a) The T.C.B.Y had ended.
(b) The N.C.A.A. had ended.
(c) The T.C.B.S. would never end.
(d) The T.C.C.C. would never end.
5. Carpenter is expected, but is greeted with some puzzlement. Why?
(a) As if the professor has forgotten about the appointment.
(b) As if the professor does not know where he is.
(c) As if the professor does not know him.
(d) As if the professor has forgotten his own name.
6. What does Mabel think of Bloemfontein?
(a) She is not fond of it.
(b) She loves it.
(c) She does not think anything of it.
(d) She is afraid of it.
7. For the next couple of years why did Edith travel?
(a) To have some freedom.
(b) To be away from home.
(c) To be with Ronald.
(d) To explore the world.
8. Who introduced "non-clerical fellowships" that effectively eliminated a vow of celibacy?
(a) The Tolkiens.
(b) A group of Americans.
(c) A group of radical Catholics.
(d) A group of reformers .
9. In 1920, Ronald applied for a job at the University of Leeds as what?
(a) A Professor of English.
(b) A Reader in Foreign Language.
(c) A Reader in English Language.
(d) A Professor of Philology.
10. Mabel notices that Ronald is a bright student who is interested in what?
11. At the Oratory, who does Mabel Tolkien meet?
(a) Father Filipo Alessandro Mulligan.
(b) Father Frederick Xander Miller.
(c) Father Francis Xavier Morgan.
(d) Father Frank Alexander Montgomery.
12. How does Ronald feel the moment he sets foot on campus?
(a) He is unhappy and depressed.
(b) He misses King Edward's school.
(c) He is very nervous and unsure.
(d) He knows the college was bound to be his real home.
13. Carpenter points out that in every photograph the situation and location seemed to be what?
(b) Very odd.
(d) Quite ordinary.
14. Tolkien began to pay the most attention to what as opposed to the story itself?
(a) The time period.
(b) The language.
(c) The landscape.
(d) The people.
15. Chapter 7, titled "War," takes place during the summer of _________, after England declared war on Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some also believe that Mabel's death encouraged Tolkien to do what?
2. Carpenter believes that Tolkien may have substituted his mother with what?
3. Together Gordon and Tolkien formed what?
4. Why is the baby named John?
5. In 1917, Edith gave birth to a baby boy, John Francis Reuel; the name Francis as a tribute to whom?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)