|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will Mabel do about housing?
(a) She will stay with her in-laws.
(b) She will look for an inexpensive house to rent.
(c) She will stay with a friend.
(d) She will buy a home.
2. The small sum of money that had been invested by Arthur would only bring an income of ___________________ per week, an amount that is barely enough to sustain the family at the poverty level.
(a) 30 pounds.
(b) 30 shillings.
(c) 50 pounds.
(d) 50 shillings.
3. In January 1913, Ronald Tolkien turned 21 and was thrilled that he could finally do what?
(a) Visit his brother.
(b) Graduate from college.
(c) Drive a car.
(d) Be reunited with Edith.
4. Together Gordon and Tolkien formed what?
(a) The Viking Club.
(b) The Scandinavian Club.
(c) The Swedish Club.
(d) The Nors Club.
5. Ronald returned to his studies only to find that he had fallen behind and had to cram six weeks of work into a short period of time in order to complete the course. In what place did he come?
6. Eventually the group changed its name to the "Barrovian Society" but often referred to it as what?
7. Tolkien jumped into his studies and was thrilled when he had the opportunity to do what?
(a) Meet C.S. Lewis.
(b) Meet Edith.
(c) Meet Joseph Wright, a Professor of Comparative Philology.
(d) Meet Father Francis for dinner.
8. In November, Mabel falls into what and dies?
(a) A strong fever.
(b) A hole.
(c) A Diabetic coma.
(d) A deep sleep.
9. Whose words inspired Tolkien to write his great epic work?
(a) T.S. Elliot's words.
(b) Hilary's words.
(c) C.S. Lewis' words.
(d) G.B. Smith's words.
10. Ronald spent his final year at King Edward's deeply involved in what?
(a) The debating society and the football league.
(b) Thinking about Edith.
(c) Planning his life after graduation.
(d) A secret relationship with Edith.
11. The first language Tolkien produced to his own satisfaction was _____________, a complex language based on the Finnish vocabulary.
12. Why is the baby named John?
(a) After his father.
(b) After his uncle.
(c) After a friend of the family.
(d) After his grandfather.
13. Father Francis was still angry with Ronald for what?
(a) Deceiving him regarding the relationship of Edith.
(b) Leaving King Edward's school.
(c) Getting married.
(d) Skipping school.
14. Tolkien began writing what he referred to as "The Book of Lost Tales." The first story would eventually become what?
15. It was also important that the work did not become what?
(a) A waste of time.
(b) A metaphor.
(c) An embarrassment.
(d) An allegory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the sole purpose of this club?
2. Ronald was adamant that Edith become what?
3. How does Mabel feel when Arthur tells his father that he cannot see returning to England on a permanent basis?
4. While at Leeds Tolkien met up with Eric Valentine Gordon. How did he know Eric?
5. Some of the pressure was relieved when Ronald received a scholarship titled the "Open Classical Exhibition" to where?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)