|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. North Oxford had become a community of academics, their wives, and families who lived where?
(a) In the grand mansions and suburban villas.
(b) In large apartments.
(c) In small, modest homes.
(d) In cheap rental homes.
2. What has been converted into an office?
(a) The bedroom.
(b) The basement.
(c) The porch.
(d) The garage.
3. In 1924, Edith gave birth to a third son, Christopher Reuel, named after whom?
(a) Christopher Wren.
(b) Christopher Moore.
(c) Christopher Wiseman.
(d) Christopher Robin.
4. Father Francis was still angry with Ronald for what?
(a) Leaving King Edward's school.
(b) Deceiving him regarding the relationship of Edith.
(c) Getting married.
(d) Skipping school.
5. Until the late 1800s, at what university were most of the college fellows required to take holy vows and not permitted to marry?
6. Why is the baby named John?
(a) After his father.
(b) After a friend of the family.
(c) After his uncle.
(d) After his grandfather.
7. In 1917, Edith gave birth to a baby boy, John Francis Reuel; the name Francis as a tribute to whom?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her father.
(c) Father Francis Morgan.
(d) Tolkien's grandfather.
8. What was the sole purpose of this club?
(a) To read Scandinavian literature.
(b) To learn a foreign language.
(c) To eat Swedish food.
(d) To drink massive quantities of beer, read sagas, and sing.
9. In January 1913, Ronald Tolkien turned 21 and was thrilled that he could finally do what?
(a) Drive a car.
(b) Visit his brother.
(c) Be reunited with Edith.
(d) Graduate from college.
10. Tolkien received a letter from Christopher Wiseman, informing him that who had been killed?
(a) His brother.
(b) G. B. Smith.
(c) C.S. Lewis.
(d) Jimmy Smits.
11. What does Mabel decide to do about her children's education?
(a) She pays for them to attend the most expensive school in the country.
(b) She ends it.
(c) She sends them to a neighbor for tutoring.
(d) She will homeschool them.
12. While in service Tolkien received a letter from his friend, G. B. Smith, stating that who had been killed?
(a) Job Gilson.
(b) Rob Gilson.
(c) Bob Gibson.
(d) Joe Gibson.
13. Tolkien and Lewis both indulged in wearing what type of clothing?
(a) Extremely masculine clothes.
(b) Extremely fashionable clothes.
(c) Extremely unusual clothes.
(d) Extremely flashy clothes.
14. Did Father Francis accept the news of the engagement?
(a) Yes, but he was not thrilled.
(b) Yes, he was fairly thrilled.
(c) Yes, he was very excited.
15. Eventually the group changed its name to the "Barrovian Society" but often referred to it as what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the couple move into the Bank House?
2. Why does Mabel have to be hospitalized?
3. Tolkien replied that he felt the club they had created had come to an end. What is Smith's reply?
4. The family settles into their new home and Tolkien embraced his duties as what?
5. One notable aspect of the photos is what?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)