Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Tolkien was recovering from trench fever, Christopher Wiseman wrote and told his friend that it was time to start what?
(a) Writing a small book.
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Writing the epic.
(d) Writing short stories.
2. Ronald was adamant that Edith become what?
(a) A Protestant.
(b) A Catholic.
(c) A Hindu.
(d) A Buddhist.
3. While at Leeds Tolkien met up with Eric Valentine Gordon. How did he know Eric?
(a) Tolkien had been friends with Eric's parents.
(b) Eric had introduced Edith the Tolkien.
(c) Eric had tutored him at one point.
(d) Tolkien had tutored him at one point.
4. What has been converted into an office?
(a) The porch.
(b) The basement.
(c) The bedroom.
(d) The garage.
5. What is one of the many strange disturbances in the house at Bloemfontein?
(a) The home is silent.
(b) Monkeys climbing over the wall.
(c) New hired help is brought in daily.
(d) Earthquakes occur.
6. Meanwhile Mabel and the boys would live where?
(a) With her parents.
(b) In an inexpensive rental.
(c) With her in-laws.
(d) With friends.
7. Members of Exeter College saw great promise in the student and suggested that Ronald become what?
(a) A philologist.
(b) A psychologist.
(c) A playwright.
(d) A philosopher.
8. Tolkien and Lewis both indulged in wearing what type of clothing?
(a) Extremely masculine clothes.
(b) Extremely unusual clothes.
(c) Extremely fashionable clothes.
(d) Extremely flashy clothes.
9. Did Father Francis accept the news of the engagement?
(a) Yes, he was very excited.
(b) Yes, he was fairly thrilled.
(d) Yes, but he was not thrilled.
10. In November, Mabel falls into what and dies?
(a) A deep sleep.
(b) A strong fever.
(c) A Diabetic coma.
(d) A hole.
11. Mabel notices that Ronald is a bright student who is interested in what?
12. Why was Ronald eager to please Father Francis?
(a) He did not want to marry Edith unless Father Francis approved.
(b) Father Francis was still in charge of Ronald's monetary support.
(c) Father Francis was like a father to him.
(d) Father Francis can be very violent.
13. At the Oratory, who does Mabel Tolkien meet?
(a) Father Filipo Alessandro Mulligan.
(b) Father Frederick Xander Miller.
(c) Father Frank Alexander Montgomery.
(d) Father Francis Xavier Morgan.
14. It was also important that the work did not become what?
(a) An allegory.
(b) A waste of time.
(c) An embarrassment.
(d) A metaphor.
15. The small sum of money that had been invested by Arthur would only bring an income of ___________________ per week, an amount that is barely enough to sustain the family at the poverty level.
(a) 30 pounds.
(b) 50 shillings.
(c) 30 shillings.
(d) 50 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien talk about the series?
2. Carpenter points out that in every photograph the situation and location seemed to be what?
3. Ronald spent his final year at King Edward's deeply involved in what?
4. Tolkien had decided that in order to create a new language he would also have to create what?
5. In 1891 Mabel Suffield leaves her family in Birmingham to travel where?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)