|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the spring of 1904 Mabel is diagnosed with what?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(c) Heart disease.
2. Ronald spent his final year at King Edward's deeply involved in what?
(a) Thinking about Edith.
(b) The debating society and the football league.
(c) A secret relationship with Edith.
(d) Planning his life after graduation.
3. Where did Tolkien work when he returned to Oxford?
(a) In a Barnes and Noble.
(b) The New English Dictionary workroom.
(c) In a library.
(d) In the school bookstore.
4. In 1922, Tolkien was appointed to the position of Professorship of the English Language. What is unique about this position?
(a) It was created especially for Tolkien.
(b) It is the oldest position.
(c) It is not a real position.
(d) It was created for Tolkien's predecessor.
5. Why did Edith and her cousin Jennie Grove move back to Cheltenham?
(a) Edith was pregnant and completely miserable.
(b) Edith missed home.
(c) Edith was tired of Tolkien.
(d) Edith missed her family.
6. In January 1913, Ronald Tolkien turned 21 and was thrilled that he could finally do what?
(a) Be reunited with Edith.
(b) Visit his brother.
(c) Drive a car.
(d) Graduate from college.
7. Why does the couple move into the Bank House?
(a) It is on the premises of the Bank of Africa, where Arthur is employed.
(b) It is in England.
(c) It is near the train station.
(d) It is a small, modest home.
8. Carpenter believes that Tolkien may have substituted his mother with what?
(a) His love for Edith.
(b) His friends.
(c) His faith in the Catholic Church.
(d) His writing.
9. While at Leeds Tolkien met up with Eric Valentine Gordon. How did he know Eric?
(a) Eric had introduced Edith the Tolkien.
(b) Eric had tutored him at one point.
(c) Tolkien had been friends with Eric's parents.
(d) Tolkien had tutored him at one point.
10. Tolkien is in the process of working on what?
(a) A contradiction that appears in THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
(b) A new book.
(c) A sequel to THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
(d) A movie.
11. In 1929 Edith gave birth to their fourth and final child, ___________.
(a) Penelope Maria Reuel.
(b) Patricia Morgan Reuel.
(c) Penny Megan Reuel.
(d) Priscilla Mary Reuel.
12. The first language Tolkien produced to his own satisfaction was _____________, a complex language based on the Finnish vocabulary.
13. In 1891 Mabel Suffield leaves her family in Birmingham to travel where?
(a) To South Africa.
(b) To South Korea.
(c) To South America.
(d) To South Vietnam.
14. What was the sole purpose of this club?
(a) To learn a foreign language.
(b) To eat Swedish food.
(c) To read Scandinavian literature.
(d) To drink massive quantities of beer, read sagas, and sing.
15. Why is the trip to England postponed?
(a) There is a horrible storm.
(b) Mabel becomes ill.
(c) Mabel becomes pregnant.
(d) Arthur loses his job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carpenter meets Edith. How does he describe her?
2. What did Ronald do when he found out Edith was engaged to be married?
3. Tolkien jumped into his studies and was thrilled when he had the opportunity to do what?
4. For what was Tolkien known, regarding his personality?
5. The second language was Sindarin, which was reminiscent of _________, Tolkien's second favorite language.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)