|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Tolkien work when he returned to Oxford?
(a) In a library.
(b) The New English Dictionary workroom.
(c) In the school bookstore.
(d) In a Barnes and Noble.
2. Ronald was stricken with what the doctors referred to as what?
(a) "A fever of unknown origin."
(b) "Pyrexia of unknown origin."
(c) "Trench fever."
(d) "Trench disease."
3. What was Ronald's group of friends and fellow students unofficially named?
(a) The "Tea Club."
(b) The "Authors' Club."
(c) The "Boys' Club."
(d) The "Literature Club."
4. It was during this time that Tolkien started to do what?
5. Why is the trip to England postponed?
(a) Mabel becomes pregnant.
(b) There is a horrible storm.
(c) Mabel becomes ill.
(d) Arthur loses his job.
6. To Tolkien, this death represented what?
(a) The end of an era.
(b) The end of the world.
(c) The beginning of an era.
(d) The end of his life.
7. What is one of the many strange disturbances in the house at Bloemfontein?
(a) New hired help is brought in daily.
(b) The home is silent.
(c) Monkeys climbing over the wall.
(d) Earthquakes occur.
8. Tolkien was fortunate to survive what he referred to as what?
(a) "Silly warfare."
(b) "Rediculous warfare."
(c) "Unreasonable warfare."
(d) "Trench warfare."
9. Members of Exeter College saw great promise in the student and suggested that Ronald become what?
(a) A philologist.
(b) A philosopher.
(c) A playwright.
(d) A psychologist.
10. The first language Tolkien produced to his own satisfaction was _____________, a complex language based on the Finnish vocabulary.
11. At this point Carpenter introduces __________, a friend of Tolkien's and popular lecturer on medieval studies.
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(b) P.T. Deutermann.
(c) P.T. Barnum.
(d) C.S. Lewis.
12. Whose words inspired Tolkien to write his great epic work?
(a) G.B. Smith's words.
(b) Hilary's words.
(c) C.S. Lewis' words.
(d) T.S. Elliot's words.
13. What has been converted into an office?
(a) The porch.
(b) The garage.
(c) The basement.
(d) The bedroom.
14. North Oxford had become a community of academics, their wives, and families who lived where?
(a) In small, modest homes.
(b) In cheap rental homes.
(c) In the grand mansions and suburban villas.
(d) In large apartments.
15. Why did Ronald not follow suit when Hilary signed up to become a soldier?
(a) He was not feeling well.
(b) He was concerned about leaving Oxford and wanted to finish his studies.
(c) He did not believe in war.
(d) He was afraid of war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tolkien and Lewis both indulged in wearing what type of clothing?
2. Tolkien replied that he felt the club they had created had come to an end. What is Smith's reply?
3. The second language was Sindarin, which was reminiscent of _________, Tolkien's second favorite language.
4. As Ronald and Edith's wedding drew nearer, what became a concern?
5. Many people question how Tolkien could create a mythology without a clear presence of ________ considering his devout Catholic faith.
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)