Short Essay Questions Key
1. What does Humphrey Carpenter say about the Tolkiens in Part One of this book?
2. For how long has Mabel Suffield been engaged to Arthur Tolkien? Why could she not marry him earlier?
3. Why is Arthur Tolkien in South Africa?
4. When does Mabel arrive in South Africa? What takes place at the time of their wedding?
5. How does Mabel feel about Bloemfontein? How does she act in regards to her feelings? Why does she act this way?
6. What is odd about the Bloemfontein home?
7. Why does Mabel plan a trip to England? Why is the trip postponed?
8. How do both Mabel and Arthur feel about returning to England?
9. What happens when Mabel and the boys return to England for a visit?
10. Why is Mabel worried about providing for her children?
11. Why is Ronald allowed to contact Edith? What did Ronald learn about Edith?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)