|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Part 2, Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Carpenter is expected, but is greeted with some puzzlement. Why?
(a) As if the professor has forgotten about the appointment.
(b) As if the professor does not know him.
(c) As if the professor has forgotten his own name.
(d) As if the professor does not know where he is.
2. In the spring of 1904 Mabel is diagnosed with what?
(b) Heart disease.
(c) Scarlet fever.
3. Why does the couple move into the Bank House?
(a) It is on the premises of the Bank of Africa, where Arthur is employed.
(b) It is a small, modest home.
(c) It is near the train station.
(d) It is in England.
4. For what was Tolkien known, regarding his personality?
(a) Being serious.
(b) Having no sense of humor.
(c) Being shy and quiet.
(d) Having a good sense of humor.
5. Carpenter believes that Tolkien may have substituted his mother with what?
(a) His love for Edith.
(b) His writing.
(c) His faith in the Catholic Church.
(d) His friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Mabel do about housing?
2. Why is the baby named John?
3. St. Philip's is not the best school for the boys and eventually Ronald wins a scholarship to where?
4. At the Oratory, who does Mabel Tolkien meet?
5. What does Mabel decide to do about her children's education?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)