|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Part 2, Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what was Tolkien known, regarding his personality?
(a) Having a good sense of humor.
(b) Having no sense of humor.
(c) Being serious.
(d) Being shy and quiet.
2. The small sum of money that had been invested by Arthur would only bring an income of ___________________ per week, an amount that is barely enough to sustain the family at the poverty level.
(a) 50 shillings.
(b) 50 pounds.
(c) 30 shillings.
(d) 30 pounds.
3. Some also believe that Mabel's death encouraged Tolkien to do what?
(a) Stay in school.
(b) Marry Edith.
(c) Expand his study of various languages.
(d) Become a Catholic.
4. Why is the baby named John?
(a) After his uncle.
(b) After his father.
(c) After his grandfather.
(d) After a friend of the family.
5. St. Philip's is not the best school for the boys and eventually Ronald wins a scholarship to where?
(a) King Phillip's school.
(b) King William's school.
(c) King Harry's school.
(d) King Edward's school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Mabel do about housing?
2. What does Mabel decide to do about her children's education?
3. Why is the trip to England postponed?
4. Carpenter meets Edith. How does he describe her?
5. Carpenter believes that Tolkien may have substituted his mother with what?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)