|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Part 2, Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is this conversion received by her family?
(b) Very well.
(c) Fairly well.
(d) Not well.
2. Carpenter is expected, but is greeted with some puzzlement. Why?
(a) As if the professor does not know him.
(b) As if the professor has forgotten his own name.
(c) As if the professor does not know where he is.
(d) As if the professor has forgotten about the appointment.
3. Why does Mabel travel here?
(a) To find a job.
(b) To search for a husband.
(c) To find her parents.
(d) To marry Arthur Tolkien.
4. Part one relays details of what?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter's visit to Ronald Tolkien in 1977.
(b) Humphrey Carpenter's visit to Ronald Tolkien in 1957.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter's visit to Ronald Tolkien in 1947.
(d) Humphrey Carpenter's visit to Ronald Tolkien in 1967.
5. In 1891 Mabel Suffield leaves her family in Birmingham to travel where?
(a) To South Korea.
(b) To South Vietnam.
(c) To South Africa.
(d) To South America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carpenter meets Edith. How does he describe her?
2. In the spring of 1904 Mabel is diagnosed with what?
3. How does Mabel feel when Arthur tells his father that he cannot see returning to England on a permanent basis?
4. What is one of the many strange disturbances in the house at Bloemfontein?
5. Carpenter believes that Tolkien may have substituted his mother with what?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)