|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ever since THE SILMARILLION was rejected in 1937 Tolkien was desperate to do what?
(a) Rework it.
(b) Have it published.
(c) Find it.
(d) Forget he wrote it.
2. While at Leeds Tolkien met up with Eric Valentine Gordon. How did he know Eric?
(a) Eric had introduced Edith the Tolkien.
(b) Eric had tutored him at one point.
(c) Tolkien had tutored him at one point.
(d) Tolkien had been friends with Eric's parents.
3. Until the late 1800s, at what university were most of the college fellows required to take holy vows and not permitted to marry?
4. In 1924, Edith gave birth to a third son, Christopher Reuel, named after whom?
(a) Christopher Robin.
(b) Christopher Wiseman.
(c) Christopher Wren.
(d) Christopher Moore.
5. Why did Ronald not follow suit when Hilary signed up to become a soldier?
(a) He was concerned about leaving Oxford and wanted to finish his studies.
(b) He was afraid of war.
(c) He did not believe in war.
(d) He was not feeling well.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first book review was written by whom?
2. Eventually the group changed its name to the "Barrovian Society" but often referred to it as what?
3. What grave mistake did Stanley Unwin make?
4. When did Father Francis permit Tolkien to write to Edith?
5. This company eventually apologized to Tolkien and offered to do what?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)