|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1920, Ronald applied for a job at the University of Leeds as what?
(a) A Professor of English.
(b) A Professor of Philology.
(c) A Reader in Foreign Language.
(d) A Reader in English Language.
2. Ronald was stricken with what the doctors referred to as what?
(a) "Trench fever."
(b) "Trench disease."
(c) "Pyrexia of unknown origin."
(d) "A fever of unknown origin."
3. Tolkien was unhappy about splitting the work into three volumes and insisted on what?
(a) Binding and selling the three volumes together.
(b) Keeping the book as one.
(c) Maintaining the title THE LORD OF THE RINGS for the entire series.
(d) Naming each book something different.
4. What happened when Tolkien's fans rose up against this company?
(a) The company gave all the unsold books to Tolkien.
(b) The infringement ended up being a blessing in disguise.
(c) The company paid Unwin.
(d) The company filed bankruptcy.
5. Ronald and Edith return from their honeymoon, and Ronald receives his first rejection letter for what?
(a) A myth.
(c) A novel.
(d) A play.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ronald's group of friends and fellow students unofficially named?
2. Why was there a considerable problem with an American company?
3. In 1924, Edith gave birth to a third son, Christopher Reuel, named after whom?
4. Why was Tolkien angry with his publishers?
5. Tolkien began to pay the most attention to what as opposed to the story itself?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)