Part 1, Part 2, Chapters 1-3
• Part 1 relays details of Humphrey Carpenter's visit to Ronald Tolkien in 1967.
• Mabel and Arthur are married on April 16, 1891in South Africa, where Arthur works for the Bank of Africa.
• On January 3, 1892 Mabel Suffield Tolkien gives birth to John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.
• A highly-anticipated trip to England is postponed when Mabel becomes pregnant.
• On February 17, 1894, Hilary Arthur Reuel Tolkien is born.
• Mabel never gives up hope that family will move back to England.
• In 1895 Mabel and the boys return to England for a visit; Arthur Tolkien's health begins to fail, and on February 15, 1896 Arthur Tolkien dies of a severe hemorrhage.
• Due to the small sum of money left to Mabel Tolkien after Aruthur's death, she has a great deal of decision making to do.
• Mabel decides that she would home school the children and find an inexpensive house to rent; meanwhile Mabel and the boys...
This section contains 2,670 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)