Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The grandmother admits that she ______________________________-.
2. Lindo is disappointed that she could not __________________________________.
3. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
4. An-Mei's mother was not always a fourth wife, but was once a _______________________.
5. Old Mr. Chou is ___________________________________.
Essay Topic 1
Gold, as a medium of exchange, has been highly valued for centuries. Do some research on gold and write an essay on the early origins of its use, why it retains its value, and how it is used today. Form your own opinions as to the future of the value of gold, and give your reasons for your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Do a thorough re-read of The Joy Luck Club and scan for recurring devices that make the story come alive. They are subtle, but you will notice that Amy Tan meticulously plants them in the right places to give her story consistency and to give her readers a real sense of her culture. One example is how she uses "smells" throughout the story - the smells from the sewer in Kweilin, Lindo learning to smell the toilets to be sure they were clean and being able to detect the amount of salt in a soup by its smell, the cat putting a stink on Suyuan's door, the smelly crab -- these are just a few instances.
Essay Topic 3
San Francisco's Chinatown has always held a mysterious fascination for tourists and outsiders, perhaps because the Chinese in this area held on to their old customs and did not readily meld with Americans. Research and write about San Francisco's Chinatown, its origins, its development and the present-day culture there.
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)