|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will a second mirror help the daughter?
2. An-Mei finds that in Tientsin, she has a __________________.
3. The grandmother wonders if the child is laughing because __________________________________.
4. Lindo's mother told her as a child that _________________________________.
5. Rose being "without wood" symbolizes ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
2. How does it affect Jing-Mei to meet her long lost sisters in China?
3. Ying-Ying's story is vast and complex, and one that her daughter has never known or understood. Why, in this chapter, has she decided to tell Lena everything about her life?
4. Is there a character in this story who might be represented in this parable?
5. Discuss what is meant in this chapter by "double face."
6. What is the purpose of a mother trying to impose her own values on her daughter's life?
7. It becomes more obvious in this chapter the kinds of adults that Jing-Mei and Waverly have grown into. Who is more likable?
8. Why does Rose's mother say that Rose is without wood?
9. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
10. The fact that June Woo's mother has searched for a lifetime for her two daughters, and then dies before she can see them again, is strongly ironic. How might the story have been different if she had lived to make the trip to China and reunited with her daughters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suyuan Woo made the decision to leave her two small babies at the side of the road out of pure desperation, hoping that someone would find them and care for them, since she could not. She spent her adult life trying to find her lost daughters. Write a persuasive essay about the pros and cons of adoption and take a position. Don't forget to comment on laws that prevent or allow biological parents and children to contact one another.
Essay Topic 2
Write a history of the game of Mah Jong, and provide a general description of how the game is played. Is it still a popular custom with the Chinese? What other games can it be compared to? Is it a game of concentration and focus, or simple entertainment and chance?
Essay Topic 3
San Francisco's Chinatown has always held a mysterious fascination for tourists and outsiders, perhaps because the Chinese in this area held on to their old customs and did not readily meld with Americans. Research and write about San Francisco's Chinatown, its origins, its development and the present-day culture there.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)