|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This daughter is tired of her mother's habit of ______________________________.
2. During an epidemic in Shanghai, Ying-Ying worked in ____________________.
3. Waverly has an ignorant fear of Jing-mei's hairdresser _______________________________.
4. Waverly had to become ill before her mother would _____________________________-.
5. Lindo's oldest son, Winston, ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Lindo was a very strong girl, traveling alone and finding her way in San Francisco. How does Waverly compare to her mother in terms of strength and character?
2. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
3. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
4. It becomes more obvious in this chapter the kinds of adults that Jing-Mei and Waverly have grown into. Who is more likable?
5. Does Rose grow in this chapter?
6. Is there a character in this story who might be represented in this parable?
7. "Peach blossom luck" is a feng shui belief that certain objects and angles in a room will influence the happiness and longevity of a marriage. Discuss why or why not this might be possible.
8. How does it affect Jing-Mei to meet her long lost sisters in China?
9. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
10. In this chapter we learn the origin of Bing's name. What is it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and write a biography on the author, Amy Tan. In addition to general information about Tan, draw some conclusions as to how and why she knows so much about a time before she was alive. Is her material all from personal experience or is it researched?
Essay Topic 2
There are many references in this story to the invasion of China by Japan. Write an expository essay revealing why Japan invaded China and what it hoped to gain by this. What were the circumstances of the war that made China vulnerable? What was the outcome between the two countries? Did China accomplish what it hoped to by invading Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Finding out the truth about the Moon Lady was a disappointment for young Ying-Ying St. Clair that may have set the tone for her life. Write a personal essay about a disappointment you have experienced that has had some lasting impact on your life. Could it have been avoided? Do you have a better understanding of the event now?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)