|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The grandmother admits that she ______________________________-.
2. Lindo is disappointed that she could not __________________________________.
3. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
4. An-Mei's mother was not always a fourth wife, but was once a _______________________.
5. Old Mr. Chou is ___________________________________.
Essay Topic 1
The four Chinese women who become friends in America meet in a Chinese Baptist church, which they were attending for practical reasons. What possible connections could Christianity have to their earlier religious beliefs in China? Did they all eventually accept Christianity over their old religion?
Essay Topic 2
San Francisco's Chinatown has always held a mysterious fascination for tourists and outsiders, perhaps because the Chinese in this area held on to their old customs and did not readily meld with Americans. Research and write about San Francisco's Chinatown, its origins, its development and the present-day culture there.
Essay Topic 3
Determine why An-Mei Hsu named her youngest child Bing, and explore the irony that Tan creates with Bing's death. How is Bing's role related to An-mei's religious beliefs, and what does his death represent?
This section contains 1,469 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)