|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ying-Ying feels that her daughter's home _________________________.
2. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
3. In Peking, Lindo paid a Chinese girl to ____________________________.
4. Why did Lena feel she caused Arnold's death?
5. What is the supposed effect of a mirror at the foot of the bed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and write a biography on the author, Amy Tan. In addition to general information about Tan, draw some conclusions as to how and why she knows so much about a time before she was alive. Is her material all from personal experience or is it researched?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Chinese festivals and annual rituals, their origins, their meanings, whether they are still practiced. Can any of them be compared to certain beliefs and practices in the United States? If so, contrast and compare.
Essay Topic 3
The four Chinese women who become friends in America meet in a Chinese Baptist church, which they were attending for practical reasons. What possible connections could Christianity have to their earlier religious beliefs in China? Did they all eventually accept Christianity over their old religion?
This section contains 1,452 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)