|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The grandmother admits that she ______________________________-.
2. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
3. An-Mei's mother makes life in Tientsin sound __________________________________.
4. The mother has purchased a new mirror at _______________________.
5. What does the jade pendant symbolize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lesson the woman is trying to impart, and the question she is wanting to have answered?
2. Is there a character in this story who might be represented in this parable?
3. Why does Rose's mother say that Rose is without wood?
4. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
5. Does Ying-Ying love her husband, Saint?
6. "Peach blossom luck" is a feng shui belief that certain objects and angles in a room will influence the happiness and longevity of a marriage. Discuss why or why not this might be possible.
7. Lindo knows Waverly's weak spots, and pokes at them. Discuss what they are.
8. It becomes more obvious in this chapter the kinds of adults that Jing-Mei and Waverly have grown into. Who is more likable?
9. Ying-Ying's story is vast and complex, and one that her daughter has never known or understood. Why, in this chapter, has she decided to tell Lena everything about her life?
10. Does Rose grow in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about matchmaking in China. Although this practice was certainly not confined to China, it was practiced for several reasons, besides simply tradition. Research and understand the importance of this process, and share it in an essay, with examples and illustrations.
Essay Topic 2
Research and write a biography on the author, Amy Tan. In addition to general information about Tan, draw some conclusions as to how and why she knows so much about a time before she was alive. Is her material all from personal experience or is it researched?
Essay Topic 3
Finding out the truth about the Moon Lady was a disappointment for young Ying-Ying St. Clair that may have set the tone for her life. Write a personal essay about a disappointment you have experienced that has had some lasting impact on your life. Could it have been avoided? Do you have a better understanding of the event now?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)