|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Canning Woo's nickname, Syau Yen, means __________________.
2. Lena and Harold are both _________________.
3. What is the supposed effect of a mirror at the foot of the bed?
4. Ying-Ying feels that her daughter's home _________________________.
5. Rose Hu's confession that her marriage is ending prompts An-Mei to __________________________________-.
Short Essay Questions
1. Ying-Ying's story is vast and complex, and one that her daughter has never known or understood. Why, in this chapter, has she decided to tell Lena everything about her life?
2. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
3. It becomes more obvious in this chapter the kinds of adults that Jing-Mei and Waverly have grown into. Who is more likable?
4. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
5. Lindo knows Waverly's weak spots, and pokes at them. Discuss what they are.
6. Discuss what is meant in this chapter by "double face."
7. How does it affect Jing-Mei to meet her long lost sisters in China?
8. Why does Lena have such a strange financial relationship with Harold?
9. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
10. Does Ying-Ying love her husband, Saint?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On page 22 of The Joy Luck Club, Suyuan Woo describes the effects of war on the town of Kweilin. In effect, people from all walks of life became more equal in the midst of a disaster. Write an expository essay about events that tend to "level the playing field" in our society, whether as a whole or in groups or sectors. Consider natural disasters, economic disasters, political and other events.
Essay Topic 2
Suyuan Woo made the decision to leave her two small babies at the side of the road out of pure desperation, hoping that someone would find them and care for them, since she could not. She spent her adult life trying to find her lost daughters. Write a persuasive essay about the pros and cons of adoption and take a position. Don't forget to comment on laws that prevent or allow biological parents and children to contact one another.
Essay Topic 3
There are many references in this story to the invasion of China by Japan. Write an expository essay revealing why Japan invaded China and what it hoped to gain by this. What were the circumstances of the war that made China vulnerable? What was the outcome between the two countries? Did China accomplish what it hoped to by invading Japan?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)