|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jing-mei's job is that of a _____________________.
2. What is the supposed effect of a mirror at the foot of the bed?
3. Lindo is disappointed that she could not __________________________________.
4. The mother has purchased a new mirror at _______________________.
5. The vase that breaks in the bedroom symbolizes _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lena have such a strange financial relationship with Harold?
2. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
3. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
4. How does it affect Jing-Mei to meet her long lost sisters in China?
5. What is the purpose of a mother trying to impose her own values on her daughter's life?
6. Is there a character in this story who might be represented in this parable?
7. Lindo was a very strong girl, traveling alone and finding her way in San Francisco. How does Waverly compare to her mother in terms of strength and character?
8. In this chapter we learn the origin of Bing's name. What is it?
9. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
10. It becomes more obvious in this chapter the kinds of adults that Jing-Mei and Waverly have grown into. Who is more likable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suyuan Woo made the decision to leave her two small babies at the side of the road out of pure desperation, hoping that someone would find them and care for them, since she could not. She spent her adult life trying to find her lost daughters. Write a persuasive essay about the pros and cons of adoption and take a position. Don't forget to comment on laws that prevent or allow biological parents and children to contact one another.
Essay Topic 2
The four Chinese women who become friends in America meet in a Chinese Baptist church, which they were attending for practical reasons. What possible connections could Christianity have to their earlier religious beliefs in China? Did they all eventually accept Christianity over their old religion?
Essay Topic 3
Write a history of the game of Mah Jong, and provide a general description of how the game is played. Is it still a popular custom with the Chinese? What other games can it be compared to? Is it a game of concentration and focus, or simple entertainment and chance?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)