|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
2. Three days of sleeping may have given Rose _________________.
3. Rich's reaction to his unintended insults toward Lindo was _________________________________________.
4. How did Lena's eating problem manifest itself?
5. Ted makes the assumption that ______________________-.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
2. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
3. The fact that June Woo's mother has searched for a lifetime for her two daughters, and then dies before she can see them again, is strongly ironic. How might the story have been different if she had lived to make the trip to China and reunited with her daughters?
4. Ying-Ying's story is vast and complex, and one that her daughter has never known or understood. Why, in this chapter, has she decided to tell Lena everything about her life?
5. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
6. It becomes more obvious in this chapter the kinds of adults that Jing-Mei and Waverly have grown into. Who is more likable?
7. Discuss what is meant in this chapter by "double face."
8. What is the purpose of a mother trying to impose her own values on her daughter's life?
9. Is there a character in this story who might be represented in this parable?
10. What is the lesson the woman is trying to impart, and the question she is wanting to have answered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gold, as a medium of exchange, has been highly valued for centuries. Do some research on gold and write an essay on the early origins of its use, why it retains its value, and how it is used today. Form your own opinions as to the future of the value of gold, and give your reasons for your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
The four Chinese women who become friends in America meet in a Chinese Baptist church, which they were attending for practical reasons. What possible connections could Christianity have to their earlier religious beliefs in China? Did they all eventually accept Christianity over their old religion?
Essay Topic 3
Determine why An-Mei Hsu named her youngest child Bing, and explore the irony that Tan creates with Bing's death. How is Bing's role related to An-mei's religious beliefs, and what does his death represent?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)