|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Waverly has an ignorant fear of Jing-mei's hairdresser _______________________________.
2. The grandmother asks the baby to teach her mother how to lose innocence, without losing hope, and _________________________-.
3. Rose being "without wood" symbolizes ________________________.
4. Lena is certain her mother is able to _________________________.
5. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. It becomes more obvious in this chapter the kinds of adults that Jing-Mei and Waverly have grown into. Who is more likable?
2. Discuss what is meant in this chapter by "double face."
3. In this chapter we learn the origin of Bing's name. What is it?
4. Does Rose grow in this chapter?
5. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
6. Is there a character in this story who might be represented in this parable?
7. Why does Rose's mother say that Rose is without wood?
8. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
9. Lindo was a very strong girl, traveling alone and finding her way in San Francisco. How does Waverly compare to her mother in terms of strength and character?
10. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ying-ying St. Clair says that as she gets closer to the end of her life, she is more in touch with the beginning. Her memories of her past are becoming clearer and she has developed an overview of her life's patterns and the problems she was not able to overcome. Old age, if one is lucky enough to get there, is a poignant time of life. Write an essay about your own old age. Imagine your children and grandchildren, but mostly formulate in your mind what your goals and aspirations might be for old age. Will you be satisfied with your life? Will you be healthy and active? How might others see you?
Essay Topic 2
Finding out the truth about the Moon Lady was a disappointment for young Ying-Ying St. Clair that may have set the tone for her life. Write a personal essay about a disappointment you have experienced that has had some lasting impact on your life. Could it have been avoided? Do you have a better understanding of the event now?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about matchmaking in China. Although this practice was certainly not confined to China, it was practiced for several reasons, besides simply tradition. Research and understand the importance of this process, and share it in an essay, with examples and illustrations.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)