|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. An-Mei finds that in Tientsin, she has a __________________.
2. Ying-Ying feels that her daughter's home _________________________.
3. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
4. Lindo's mother told her as a child that _________________________________.
5. The grandmother imagines the baby in this parable to be ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
2. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
3. "Peach blossom luck" is a feng shui belief that certain objects and angles in a room will influence the happiness and longevity of a marriage. Discuss why or why not this might be possible.
4. Discuss what is meant in this chapter by "double face."
5. What is the lesson the woman is trying to impart, and the question she is wanting to have answered?
6. The fact that June Woo's mother has searched for a lifetime for her two daughters, and then dies before she can see them again, is strongly ironic. How might the story have been different if she had lived to make the trip to China and reunited with her daughters?
7. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
8. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
9. Does Rose grow in this chapter?
10. In this chapter we learn the origin of Bing's name. What is it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Finding out the truth about the Moon Lady was a disappointment for young Ying-Ying St. Clair that may have set the tone for her life. Write a personal essay about a disappointment you have experienced that has had some lasting impact on your life. Could it have been avoided? Do you have a better understanding of the event now?
Essay Topic 2
Every year people are swept out to sea while vacationing at the beaches on the Pacific coastline. Rose Hsu's younger brother, Bing, got into a particularly precarious position before losing his life in the powerful ocean. Research and write an essay about the several predictable things that people do, or things that they ignore at the coast, that can prove dangerous and sometimes fatal. (This information is readily available from California, Oregon and Washington government agencies.) Why is this such an ongoing problem?
Essay Topic 3
San Francisco's Chinatown has always held a mysterious fascination for tourists and outsiders, perhaps because the Chinese in this area held on to their old customs and did not readily meld with Americans. Research and write about San Francisco's Chinatown, its origins, its development and the present-day culture there.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)