|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lena and Harold are both _________________.
2. In Peking, Lindo paid a Chinese girl to ____________________________.
3. For dinner, Jing-mei and Canning share with his relatives ____________________________.
4. An-Mei's mother was not always a fourth wife, but was once a _______________________.
5. Canning Woo's nickname, Syau Yen, means __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lesson the woman is trying to impart, and the question she is wanting to have answered?
2. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
3. In this chapter we learn the origin of Bing's name. What is it?
4. Lindo was a very strong girl, traveling alone and finding her way in San Francisco. How does Waverly compare to her mother in terms of strength and character?
5. How does it affect Jing-Mei to meet her long lost sisters in China?
6. It becomes more obvious in this chapter the kinds of adults that Jing-Mei and Waverly have grown into. Who is more likable?
7. Ying-Ying's story is vast and complex, and one that her daughter has never known or understood. Why, in this chapter, has she decided to tell Lena everything about her life?
8. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
9. Why does Lena have such a strange financial relationship with Harold?
10. Does Rose grow in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The older Chinese women in this story experienced certain aspects of severe female oppression while in China. At the heart of this story is the message of how our own past is imprinted on our children, regardless of how different their lives are. Write an essay about how the experiences of each of the older Chinese women in the story purposely, or inadvertently, passed on certain attitudes and viewpoints about women and their roles to their American daughters. Discuss the impact on their daughters, as well.
Essay Topic 2
Write a history of the game of Mah Jong, and provide a general description of how the game is played. Is it still a popular custom with the Chinese? What other games can it be compared to? Is it a game of concentration and focus, or simple entertainment and chance?
Essay Topic 3
The Moon Festival is a very important Chinese holiday. Research this holiday and write an essay on what it means, how it is celebrated, the food, the rituals, the time of year and all the implications of the Moon Festival. Finally, determine whether Americans celebrate anything similar. If so, compare and contrast the two.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)