|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lindo is ashamed that Waverly _________________________.
2. Ying-Ying feels that aborting her baby was ______________________.
3. At lunch together, Waverly's mother _____________________________________.
4. An-Mei finds that in Tientsin, she has a __________________.
5. The pastor, Wing, was a __________________________-.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rose's mother say that Rose is without wood?
2. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
3. Does Rose grow in this chapter?
4. It becomes more obvious in this chapter the kinds of adults that Jing-Mei and Waverly have grown into. Who is more likable?
5. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
6. Does Ying-Ying love her husband, Saint?
7. What is the purpose of a mother trying to impose her own values on her daughter's life?
8. Discuss what is meant in this chapter by "double face."
9. The fact that June Woo's mother has searched for a lifetime for her two daughters, and then dies before she can see them again, is strongly ironic. How might the story have been different if she had lived to make the trip to China and reunited with her daughters?
10. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On page 22 of The Joy Luck Club, Suyuan Woo describes the effects of war on the town of Kweilin. In effect, people from all walks of life became more equal in the midst of a disaster. Write an expository essay about events that tend to "level the playing field" in our society, whether as a whole or in groups or sectors. Consider natural disasters, economic disasters, political and other events.
Essay Topic 2
Gold, as a medium of exchange, has been highly valued for centuries. Do some research on gold and write an essay on the early origins of its use, why it retains its value, and how it is used today. Form your own opinions as to the future of the value of gold, and give your reasons for your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about matchmaking in China. Although this practice was certainly not confined to China, it was practiced for several reasons, besides simply tradition. Research and understand the importance of this process, and share it in an essay, with examples and illustrations.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)