|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rose's mother, in exchange for Bing, gave to the ocean _____________________.
2. Rose was surprised that her mother had ___________________________.
3. In order to promote her fertility, Lindo was given ________________________.
4. A Chinese Santa Claus asked Waverly ______________________________________.
5. Waverly's mother uses Waverly __________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Waverly Place Jong is named after the street she lives on in San Francisco. Discuss other instances where children are named after localities, ideas or unusual things.
2. What is it that worries the women about Jing-Mei's visit to China?
3. An-Mei has an interesting way of storing her Bible. Discuss where the Bible is kept, and why.
4. Discuss Waverly's mother's response to Waverly's success. Why might a daughter of Lindo Jong be seen as special? Why would Lindo want to brag and grandstand her daughter?
5. Since the little girl is too young to be told about them all, discuss what some of the twenty-six malignant gates might be.
6. What is the difference between the little girl's response to her mother's admonishment about riding the bicycle, and the response that one of these older women might have had to their mothers' warnings years ago?
7. The Moon Lady says woman is the dark yin, and man is the bright truth of yang. How did this kind of thinking affect the characters in this book over their lifetimes?
8. Discuss why the current members of the Joy Luck Club have invested their winnings in the stock market.
9. Why might it be that Jing-Mei continues to be a failure?
10. Why did An-Mei's mother return to her sister's home where she was so unwanted and rejected? Was her mother the person An-Mei had thought she was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gold, as a medium of exchange, has been highly valued for centuries. Do some research on gold and write an essay on the early origins of its use, why it retains its value, and how it is used today. Form your own opinions as to the future of the value of gold, and give your reasons for your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Write a small, authentic Chinese cookbook, complete with recipes using some of the odd and unusual ingredients used in Chinese cooking. Note the creativity used in Chinese recipes, the origins of which were used out of necessity and to make use of what was available. No microwave recipes allowed!
Essay Topic 3
Every year people are swept out to sea while vacationing at the beaches on the Pacific coastline. Rose Hsu's younger brother, Bing, got into a particularly precarious position before losing his life in the powerful ocean. Research and write an essay about the several predictable things that people do, or things that they ignore at the coast, that can prove dangerous and sometimes fatal. (This information is readily available from California, Oregon and Washington government agencies.) Why is this such an ongoing problem?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)