|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Waverly's mother uses Waverly __________________________.
2. Lindo's mother-in-law _______________________________.
3. Waverly's mother wanted Vincent's chess set _________________________.
4. Rose is afraid to tell her mother about her divorce because _______________________________________.
5. Lindo Jong is promised in marriage when she _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Ying-Ying has remained a frightened child into her adulthood, and now her daughter is forced to live with Ying-Ying's fears. Why is Ying-Ying St. Clair so afraid?
2. Discuss the unusual circumstances under which Lena lives.
3. The imagery of the woman fluttering her arms when the swan is taken from her is sad. What does it imply?
4. What is the lesson the woman is trying to impart, and the question she is wanting to have answered?
5. Ying-Ying's story is vast and complex, and one that her daughter has never known or understood. Why, in this chapter, has she decided to tell Lena everything about her life?
6. In this chapter we learn the origin of Bing's name. What is it?
7. Discuss the reason that An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" and does not live with her children.
8. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
9. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
10. What is the root problem in Rose's marriage?
Essay Topic 1
Gold, as a medium of exchange, has been highly valued for centuries. Do some research on gold and write an essay on the early origins of its use, why it retains its value, and how it is used today. Form your own opinions as to the future of the value of gold, and give your reasons for your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
San Francisco's Chinatown has always held a mysterious fascination for tourists and outsiders, perhaps because the Chinese in this area held on to their old customs and did not readily meld with Americans. Research and write about San Francisco's Chinatown, its origins, its development and the present-day culture there.
Essay Topic 3
Every year people are swept out to sea while vacationing at the beaches on the Pacific coastline. Rose Hsu's younger brother, Bing, got into a particularly precarious position before losing his life in the powerful ocean. Research and write an essay about the several predictable things that people do, or things that they ignore at the coast, that can prove dangerous and sometimes fatal. (This information is readily available from California, Oregon and Washington government agencies.) Why is this such an ongoing problem?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)