Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Twenty Six Malignant Gates is about _____________________________________________.
2. The Hsu family went to beach so that Rose's father could __________________________.
3. When Teresa and her family get over their anger, and hug and kiss, Lena ______________________________________.
4. Lena St. Clair's mother appears to be _______________________.
5. The eternal aspect of Lindo's marriage was symbolized _________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Rose's mother, An-Mei Hsu, has raised quite a large family in America. What might have made her want so many children?
2. Discuss why the woman has never told her daughter about the single feather she kept from the swan.
3. What is the purpose of a mother trying to impose her own values on her daughter's life?
4. Why did An-Mei's mother return to her sister's home where she was so unwanted and rejected? Was her mother the person An-Mei had thought she was?
5. Does Ying-Ying love her husband, Saint?
6. Why would Lindo begin to think of her cruel husband as a god?
7. Why might it be that Jing-Mei continues to be a failure?
8. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
9. Discuss why Lindo's clever scheme works on her mother-in-law.
10. June Woo started the American Joy Luck Club because she sensed the grief in the other Chinese people she met here. How does the club help June Woo deal with her own tragic memories?
There are many references in this story to the invasion of China by Japan. Write an expository essay revealing why Japan invaded China and what it hoped to gain by this. What were the circumstances of the war that made China vulnerable? What was the outcome between the two countries? Did China accomplish what it hoped to by invading Japan?
Determine why An-Mei Hsu named her youngest child Bing, and explore the irony that Tan creates with Bing's death. How is Bing's role related to An-mei's religious beliefs, and what does his death represent?
The Moon Festival is a very important Chinese holiday. Research this holiday and write an essay on what it means, how it is celebrated, the food, the rituals, the time of year and all the implications of the Moon Festival. Finally, determine whether Americans celebrate anything similar. If so, compare and contrast the two.
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)