|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Waverly's mother says Waverly's success can be attributed to _______________.
2. Lindo was forced to live with her future in-laws because ______________________________________.
3. When she immigrated,what did Lena's father rename Ying-Ying?
4. Rose realizes that fate is shaped half by expectation, and _________________________.
5. The event that clouds An-Mei's early memory of her mother was _________________________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Waverly disrespectful of her mother?
2. The Moon Lady says woman is the dark yin, and man is the bright truth of yang. How did this kind of thinking affect the characters in this book over their lifetimes?
3. Discuss why the woman has never told her daughter about the single feather she kept from the swan.
4. Ying-Ying has remained a frightened child into her adulthood, and now her daughter is forced to live with Ying-Ying's fears. Why is Ying-Ying St. Clair so afraid?
5. Jing-Mei Woo's mother and Waverly Jong's mother compete through their daughters' failures and successes. Are the two women friends?
6. What is the difference between the little girl's response to her mother's admonishment about riding the bicycle, and the response that one of these older women might have had to their mothers' warnings years ago?
7. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
8. Discuss the unusual circumstances under which Lena lives.
9. Discuss why Lindo's clever scheme works on her mother-in-law.
10. What triggers Ying-Ying's early memory of her traumatic fall from the family boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every year people are swept out to sea while vacationing at the beaches on the Pacific coastline. Rose Hsu's younger brother, Bing, got into a particularly precarious position before losing his life in the powerful ocean. Research and write an essay about the several predictable things that people do, or things that they ignore at the coast, that can prove dangerous and sometimes fatal. (This information is readily available from California, Oregon and Washington government agencies.) Why is this such an ongoing problem?
Essay Topic 2
Many Chinese people settled in San Francisco during the 1800s. What was it about San Francisco that drew them during that particular period of time? Write an essay and describe the impetus for coming to California. Did the Chinese generally stay and make homes here? Were they readily accepted in the U.S. What were their particular challenges here?
Essay Topic 3
Suyuan Woo made the decision to leave her two small babies at the side of the road out of pure desperation, hoping that someone would find them and care for them, since she could not. She spent her adult life trying to find her lost daughters. Write a persuasive essay about the pros and cons of adoption and take a position. Don't forget to comment on laws that prevent or allow biological parents and children to contact one another.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)