|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tyan-Yu was _____________________________.
2. The symbolic burning of the Five Evils was actually ___________________________.
3. What frightens Jing-mei the most is that _______________________________.
4. In her final attempt to find Bing, Rose's mother ___________________________________.
5. The white swan was purchased _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. The soup An-Mei's mother made for her dying mother was the ultimate show of love for her mother. What does it symbolize?
2. Why did An-Mei's mother return to her sister's home where she was so unwanted and rejected? Was her mother the person An-Mei had thought she was?
3. Why is Bing's name written in erasable pencil in the Bible's Death section?
4. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
5. Is Ying-Ying a neglected child?
6. What might Ying Ying have been planning to ask the Moon Lady for if she had not become lost?
7. June Woo started the American Joy Luck Club because she sensed the grief in the other Chinese people she met here. How does the club help June Woo deal with her own tragic memories?
8. Discuss why the current members of the Joy Luck Club have invested their winnings in the stock market.
9. Discuss how it is that the Italian girl next door provides a sense of peace for Lena.
10. This parable is loaded with symbolism. Since the old woman paid a "foolish sum" for the swan, and then loses it, what might this symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suyuan Woo made the decision to leave her two small babies at the side of the road out of pure desperation, hoping that someone would find them and care for them, since she could not. She spent her adult life trying to find her lost daughters. Write a persuasive essay about the pros and cons of adoption and take a position. Don't forget to comment on laws that prevent or allow biological parents and children to contact one another.
Essay Topic 2
Gold, as a medium of exchange, has been highly valued for centuries. Do some research on gold and write an essay on the early origins of its use, why it retains its value, and how it is used today. Form your own opinions as to the future of the value of gold, and give your reasons for your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
The four Chinese women who become friends in America meet in a Chinese Baptist church, which they were attending for practical reasons. What possible connections could Christianity have to their earlier religious beliefs in China? Did they all eventually accept Christianity over their old religion?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)