|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Filling out so many forms at customs, the woman _________________________________________.
2. The token saved from the swan carries with it ________________________________.
3. Ying Ying was disappointed to find out the Moon Lady in the play _________________________________.
4. Waverly's mother says Waverly's success can be attributed to _______________.
5. What was Ying-Ying's unspoken wish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Ying-Ying a neglected child?
2. Jing-Mei Woo's mother and Waverly Jong's mother compete through their daughters' failures and successes. Are the two women friends?
3. Why is Bing's name written in erasable pencil in the Bible's Death section?
4. Ying-Ying has remained a frightened child into her adulthood, and now her daughter is forced to live with Ying-Ying's fears. Why is Ying-Ying St. Clair so afraid?
5. Rose's mother, An-Mei Hsu, has raised quite a large family in America. What might have made her want so many children?
6. An-Mei has an interesting way of storing her Bible. Discuss where the Bible is kept, and why.
7. This parable is loaded with symbolism. Since the old woman paid a "foolish sum" for the swan, and then loses it, what might this symbolize?
8. What might Ying Ying have been planning to ask the Moon Lady for if she had not become lost?
9. Discuss the reason that An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" and does not live with her children.
10. June Woo started the American Joy Luck Club because she sensed the grief in the other Chinese people she met here. How does the club help June Woo deal with her own tragic memories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The four Chinese women who become friends in America meet in a Chinese Baptist church, which they were attending for practical reasons. What possible connections could Christianity have to their earlier religious beliefs in China? Did they all eventually accept Christianity over their old religion?
Essay Topic 2
Finding out the truth about the Moon Lady was a disappointment for young Ying-Ying St. Clair that may have set the tone for her life. Write a personal essay about a disappointment you have experienced that has had some lasting impact on your life. Could it have been avoided? Do you have a better understanding of the event now?
Essay Topic 3
Write a history of the game of Mah Jong, and provide a general description of how the game is played. Is it still a popular custom with the Chinese? What other games can it be compared to? Is it a game of concentration and focus, or simple entertainment and chance?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)