Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Twenty Six Malignant Gates is about _____________________________________________.
2. The Hsu family went to beach so that Rose's father could __________________________.
3. When Teresa and her family get over their anger, and hug and kiss, Lena ______________________________________.
4. Lena St. Clair's mother appears to be _______________________.
5. The eternal aspect of Lindo's marriage was symbolized _________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Rose's mother, An-Mei Hsu, has raised quite a large family in America. What might have made her want so many children?
2. Discuss why the woman has never told her daughter about the single feather she kept from the swan.
3. What is the purpose of a mother trying to impose her own values on her daughter's life?
4. Why did An-Mei's mother return to her sister's home where she was so unwanted and rejected? Was her mother the person An-Mei had thought she was?
5. Does Ying-Ying love her husband, Saint?
6. Why would Lindo begin to think of her cruel husband as a god?
7. Why might it be that Jing-Mei continues to be a failure?
8. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
9. Discuss why Lindo's clever scheme works on her mother-in-law.
10. June Woo started the American Joy Luck Club because she sensed the grief in the other Chinese people she met here. How does the club help June Woo deal with her own tragic memories?
Essay Topic 1
In The Joy Luck Club, Amy Tan weaves together a series of events from the past and present, as well as a series of characters whose lives have intersected. To help you understand the story more fully, write an essay divided into four parts, describing each mother, and each daughter, their past circumstances, their current situations, and their relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Chinese festivals and annual rituals, their origins, their meanings, whether they are still practiced. Can any of them be compared to certain beliefs and practices in the United States? If so, contrast and compare.
Essay Topic 3
Determine why An-Mei Hsu named her youngest child Bing, and explore the irony that Tan creates with Bing's death. How is Bing's role related to An-mei's religious beliefs, and what does his death represent?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)