|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Waverly's mother wanted Vincent's chess set _________________________.
2. When she was bored, Jing-mei ________________________________.
3. Jing Mei is afraid that if she does not find the prodigy in herself she will _________________________-.
4. What young Jing-Mei senses is that she will soon _________________________.
5. The token saved from the swan carries with it ________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss why Lindo's clever scheme works on her mother-in-law.
2. June Woo started the American Joy Luck Club because she sensed the grief in the other Chinese people she met here. How does the club help June Woo deal with her own tragic memories?
3. Waverly's unusual talent becomes a reason to pamper and spoil her. Does she appreciate this treatment? How does it affect her?
4. What is it that worries the women about Jing-Mei's visit to China?
5. Discuss how it is that the Italian girl next door provides a sense of peace for Lena.
6. Why would Lindo begin to think of her cruel husband as a god?
7. The parable is obviously based on a current-day story in which one of the mothers in the book tries to warn her daughter of her superstitions. Discuss other instances in the book up until this point where mothers feel they know so much more than their daughters.
8. Is Ying-Ying a neglected child?
9. What might Ying Ying have been planning to ask the Moon Lady for if she had not become lost?
10. The soup An-Mei's mother made for her dying mother was the ultimate show of love for her mother. What does it symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many references in this story to the invasion of China by Japan. Write an expository essay revealing why Japan invaded China and what it hoped to gain by this. What were the circumstances of the war that made China vulnerable? What was the outcome between the two countries? Did China accomplish what it hoped to by invading Japan?
Essay Topic 2
Gold, as a medium of exchange, has been highly valued for centuries. Do some research on gold and write an essay on the early origins of its use, why it retains its value, and how it is used today. Form your own opinions as to the future of the value of gold, and give your reasons for your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Determine why An-Mei Hsu named her youngest child Bing, and explore the irony that Tan creates with Bing's death. How is Bing's role related to An-mei's religious beliefs, and what does his death represent?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)