|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lena's mother speaks to her in Chinese, Lena ____________________________________.
2. Lindo was able to convince her in-laws to end her marriage by ______________________________.
3. What did Jing Mei guess was the capital of Finland?
4. Mah Jong is __________________.
5. Rose had to care for her brothers to learn ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might it be that Jing-Mei continues to be a failure?
2. The parable is obviously based on a current-day story in which one of the mothers in the book tries to warn her daughter of her superstitions. Discuss other instances in the book up until this point where mothers feel they know so much more than their daughters.
3. Waverly's unusual talent becomes a reason to pamper and spoil her. Does she appreciate this treatment? How does it affect her?
4. Does the little girl fall from the bicycle because her mother is right, or because she is afraid her mother is right, or is it just a chance circumstance?
5. Why is Waverly disrespectful of her mother?
6. Discuss why the current members of the Joy Luck Club have invested their winnings in the stock market.
7. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
8. What does Lindo's snuffing the candle out signify?
9. Rose's mother, An-Mei Hsu, has raised quite a large family in America. What might have made her want so many children?
10. Discuss the reason that An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" and does not live with her children.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Joy Luck Club, Amy Tan weaves together a series of events from the past and present, as well as a series of characters whose lives have intersected. To help you understand the story more fully, write an essay divided into four parts, describing each mother, and each daughter, their past circumstances, their current situations, and their relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Research and write a biography on the author, Amy Tan. In addition to general information about Tan, draw some conclusions as to how and why she knows so much about a time before she was alive. Is her material all from personal experience or is it researched?
Essay Topic 3
Finding out the truth about the Moon Lady was a disappointment for young Ying-Ying St. Clair that may have set the tone for her life. Write a personal essay about a disappointment you have experienced that has had some lasting impact on your life. Could it have been avoided? Do you have a better understanding of the event now?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)