|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jing-mei's piano teacher is ________________________.
2. Waverly's mother pretending to understand chess is ____________________________.
3. Popo says a girl who refused to listen to her elders ___________________________.
4. Lena's father's heritage is __________________.
5. What did Jing Mei guess was the capital of Finland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the "scar" reference. How did it happen and why?
2. The woman wishes for a daughter just like herself, but there are some caveats. Discuss the things she does not want for her daughter.
3. Ying-Ying has remained a frightened child into her adulthood, and now her daughter is forced to live with Ying-Ying's fears. Why is Ying-Ying St. Clair so afraid?
4. What triggers Ying-Ying's early memory of her traumatic fall from the family boat?
5. The imagery of the woman fluttering her arms when the swan is taken from her is sad. What does it imply?
6. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
7. June Woo started the American Joy Luck Club because she sensed the grief in the other Chinese people she met here. How does the club help June Woo deal with her own tragic memories?
8. What is the root problem in Rose's marriage?
9. Discuss the unusual circumstances under which Lena lives.
10. Is Ying-Ying a neglected child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a history of the game of Mah Jong, and provide a general description of how the game is played. Is it still a popular custom with the Chinese? What other games can it be compared to? Is it a game of concentration and focus, or simple entertainment and chance?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Chinese festivals and annual rituals, their origins, their meanings, whether they are still practiced. Can any of them be compared to certain beliefs and practices in the United States? If so, contrast and compare.
Essay Topic 3
Suyuan Woo made the decision to leave her two small babies at the side of the road out of pure desperation, hoping that someone would find them and care for them, since she could not. She spent her adult life trying to find her lost daughters. Write a persuasive essay about the pros and cons of adoption and take a position. Don't forget to comment on laws that prevent or allow biological parents and children to contact one another.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)