|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What frightens Jing-mei the most is that _______________________________.
2. Suyuan Woo's beautiful mah jong table was made of __________________.
3. Rose's mother recorded Bing's death _______________________.
4. How did Ying-Ying's rescuers determine she was not a beggar?
5. Jing Mei is afraid that if she does not find the prodigy in herself she will _________________________-.
Short Essay Questions
1. The Moon Lady says woman is the dark yin, and man is the bright truth of yang. How did this kind of thinking affect the characters in this book over their lifetimes?
2. Waverly's unusual talent becomes a reason to pamper and spoil her. Does she appreciate this treatment? How does it affect her?
3. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
4. The imagery of the woman fluttering her arms when the swan is taken from her is sad. What does it imply?
5. Discuss why Lindo's clever scheme works on her mother-in-law.
6. June Woo started the American Joy Luck Club because she sensed the grief in the other Chinese people she met here. How does the club help June Woo deal with her own tragic memories?
7. Waverly Place Jong is named after the street she lives on in San Francisco. Discuss other instances where children are named after localities, ideas or unusual things.
8. Why did An-Mei's mother return to her sister's home where she was so unwanted and rejected? Was her mother the person An-Mei had thought she was?
9. Discuss the "scar" reference. How did it happen and why?
10. Why is Bing's name written in erasable pencil in the Bible's Death section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On page 22 of The Joy Luck Club, Suyuan Woo describes the effects of war on the town of Kweilin. In effect, people from all walks of life became more equal in the midst of a disaster. Write an expository essay about events that tend to "level the playing field" in our society, whether as a whole or in groups or sectors. Consider natural disasters, economic disasters, political and other events.
Essay Topic 2
The Moon Festival is a very important Chinese holiday. Research this holiday and write an essay on what it means, how it is celebrated, the food, the rituals, the time of year and all the implications of the Moon Festival. Finally, determine whether Americans celebrate anything similar. If so, compare and contrast the two.
Essay Topic 3
Every year people are swept out to sea while vacationing at the beaches on the Pacific coastline. Rose Hsu's younger brother, Bing, got into a particularly precarious position before losing his life in the powerful ocean. Research and write an essay about the several predictable things that people do, or things that they ignore at the coast, that can prove dangerous and sometimes fatal. (This information is readily available from California, Oregon and Washington government agencies.) Why is this such an ongoing problem?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)