|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ying-Ying, or Betty, is consumed with ______________.
2. When she immigrated,what did Lena's father rename Ying-Ying?
3. The Mah Jong tiles are arranged into ___________________.
4. Lena's paranoia is increased by ___________________________________________.
5. At the Mah Jong table, Suyuan Woo always sat _________________________-.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lindo's snuffing the candle out signify?
2. Discuss Waverly's mother's response to Waverly's success. Why might a daughter of Lindo Jong be seen as special? Why would Lindo want to brag and grandstand her daughter?
3. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
4. The parable is obviously based on a current-day story in which one of the mothers in the book tries to warn her daughter of her superstitions. Discuss other instances in the book up until this point where mothers feel they know so much more than their daughters.
5. Discuss the reason that An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" and does not live with her children.
6. What might Ying Ying have been planning to ask the Moon Lady for if she had not become lost?
7. Since the little girl is too young to be told about them all, discuss what some of the twenty-six malignant gates might be.
8. What triggers Ying-Ying's early memory of her traumatic fall from the family boat?
9. The imagery of the woman fluttering her arms when the swan is taken from her is sad. What does it imply?
10. What is the difference between the little girl's response to her mother's admonishment about riding the bicycle, and the response that one of these older women might have had to their mothers' warnings years ago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gold, as a medium of exchange, has been highly valued for centuries. Do some research on gold and write an essay on the early origins of its use, why it retains its value, and how it is used today. Form your own opinions as to the future of the value of gold, and give your reasons for your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Every year people are swept out to sea while vacationing at the beaches on the Pacific coastline. Rose Hsu's younger brother, Bing, got into a particularly precarious position before losing his life in the powerful ocean. Research and write an essay about the several predictable things that people do, or things that they ignore at the coast, that can prove dangerous and sometimes fatal. (This information is readily available from California, Oregon and Washington government agencies.) Why is this such an ongoing problem?
Essay Topic 3
Finding out the truth about the Moon Lady was a disappointment for young Ying-Ying St. Clair that may have set the tone for her life. Write a personal essay about a disappointment you have experienced that has had some lasting impact on your life. Could it have been avoided? Do you have a better understanding of the event now?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)