|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What frightens Jing-mei the most is that _______________________________.
2. Waverly's mother uses Waverly __________________________.
3. How did Jing-mei justify her defiance of her mother?
4. When Lena's mother speaks to her in Chinese, Lena ____________________________________.
5. An-Mei's mother shows up ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What triggers Ying-Ying's early memory of her traumatic fall from the family boat?
2. Lindo Jong became the property of her husband's family long before she went to live with them. Discuss how this changed the way her mother perceived her and treated her.
3. The parable is obviously based on a current-day story in which one of the mothers in the book tries to warn her daughter of her superstitions. Discuss other instances in the book up until this point where mothers feel they know so much more than their daughters.
4. Waverly's unusual talent becomes a reason to pamper and spoil her. Does she appreciate this treatment? How does it affect her?
5. Why might it be that Jing-Mei continues to be a failure?
6. What is the root problem in Rose's marriage?
7. The soup An-Mei's mother made for her dying mother was the ultimate show of love for her mother. What does it symbolize?
8. Why would Lindo begin to think of her cruel husband as a god?
9. Is Ying-Ying a neglected child?
10. The Moon Lady says woman is the dark yin, and man is the bright truth of yang. How did this kind of thinking affect the characters in this book over their lifetimes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suyuan Woo made the decision to leave her two small babies at the side of the road out of pure desperation, hoping that someone would find them and care for them, since she could not. She spent her adult life trying to find her lost daughters. Write a persuasive essay about the pros and cons of adoption and take a position. Don't forget to comment on laws that prevent or allow biological parents and children to contact one another.
Essay Topic 2
Write a history of the game of Mah Jong, and provide a general description of how the game is played. Is it still a popular custom with the Chinese? What other games can it be compared to? Is it a game of concentration and focus, or simple entertainment and chance?
Essay Topic 3
Many Chinese people settled in San Francisco during the 1800s. What was it about San Francisco that drew them during that particular period of time? Write an essay and describe the impetus for coming to California. Did the Chinese generally stay and make homes here? Were they readily accepted in the U.S. What were their particular challenges here?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)