|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The only father An-Mei knows is ___________________.
2. An-Mei's mother shows up ___________________________.
3. Waverly was named after ____________________________.
4. Waverly's mother uses Waverly __________________________.
5. An-Mei's brother lost his happiness when _______________________________________-.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Waverly disrespectful of her mother?
2. Discuss Ying-Ying's mental state and some of its origins.
3. What might Ying Ying have been planning to ask the Moon Lady for if she had not become lost?
4. Since the little girl is too young to be told about them all, discuss what some of the twenty-six malignant gates might be.
5. Waverly's unusual talent becomes a reason to pamper and spoil her. Does she appreciate this treatment? How does it affect her?
6. An-Mei has an interesting way of storing her Bible. Discuss where the Bible is kept, and why.
7. The soup An-Mei's mother made for her dying mother was the ultimate show of love for her mother. What does it symbolize?
8. The woman wishes for a daughter just like herself, but there are some caveats. Discuss the things she does not want for her daughter.
9. Is Ying-Ying a neglected child?
10. This parable is loaded with symbolism. Since the old woman paid a "foolish sum" for the swan, and then loses it, what might this symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a history of the game of Mah Jong, and provide a general description of how the game is played. Is it still a popular custom with the Chinese? What other games can it be compared to? Is it a game of concentration and focus, or simple entertainment and chance?
Essay Topic 2
The four Chinese women who become friends in America meet in a Chinese Baptist church, which they were attending for practical reasons. What possible connections could Christianity have to their earlier religious beliefs in China? Did they all eventually accept Christianity over their old religion?
Essay Topic 3
Many Chinese people settled in San Francisco during the 1800s. What was it about San Francisco that drew them during that particular period of time? Write an essay and describe the impetus for coming to California. Did the Chinese generally stay and make homes here? Were they readily accepted in the U.S. What were their particular challenges here?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)