|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. An-Mei's brother lost his happiness when _______________________________________-.
2. Ted is frustrated with Lena because ___________________________.
3. What did Jing Mei guess was the capital of Finland?
4. Jeing-mei learns that her mother's lost babies ______________________________________.
5. The eternal aspect of Lindo's marriage was symbolized _________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Does the little girl fall from the bicycle because her mother is right, or because she is afraid her mother is right, or is it just a chance circumstance?
2. Discuss Waverly's mother's response to Waverly's success. Why might a daughter of Lindo Jong be seen as special? Why would Lindo want to brag and grandstand her daughter?
3. The imagery of the woman fluttering her arms when the swan is taken from her is sad. What does it imply?
4. What does Lindo's snuffing the candle out signify?
5. The Moon Lady says woman is the dark yin, and man is the bright truth of yang. How did this kind of thinking affect the characters in this book over their lifetimes?
6. The woman wishes for a daughter just like herself, but there are some caveats. Discuss the things she does not want for her daughter.
7. What is it that worries the women about Jing-Mei's visit to China?
8. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
9. The soup An-Mei's mother made for her dying mother was the ultimate show of love for her mother. What does it symbolize?
10. Discuss the "scar" reference. How did it happen and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Finding out the truth about the Moon Lady was a disappointment for young Ying-Ying St. Clair that may have set the tone for her life. Write a personal essay about a disappointment you have experienced that has had some lasting impact on your life. Could it have been avoided? Do you have a better understanding of the event now?
Essay Topic 2
Research and write a biography on the author, Amy Tan. In addition to general information about Tan, draw some conclusions as to how and why she knows so much about a time before she was alive. Is her material all from personal experience or is it researched?
Essay Topic 3
Gold, as a medium of exchange, has been highly valued for centuries. Do some research on gold and write an essay on the early origins of its use, why it retains its value, and how it is used today. Form your own opinions as to the future of the value of gold, and give your reasons for your opinions.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)