|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The woman transported the swan ____________________________.
2. The eternal aspect of Lindo's marriage was symbolized _________________________________.
3. What frightens Jing-mei the most is that _______________________________.
4. What did Jing Mei guess was the capital of Finland?
5. The old woman who buys a swan eventually _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the root problem in Rose's marriage?
2. Waverly Place Jong is named after the street she lives on in San Francisco. Discuss other instances where children are named after localities, ideas or unusual things.
3. Discuss the "scar" reference. How did it happen and why?
4. Discuss how it is that the Italian girl next door provides a sense of peace for Lena.
5. The parable is obviously based on a current-day story in which one of the mothers in the book tries to warn her daughter of her superstitions. Discuss other instances in the book up until this point where mothers feel they know so much more than their daughters.
6. Why did An-Mei's mother return to her sister's home where she was so unwanted and rejected? Was her mother the person An-Mei had thought she was?
7. What does Lindo's snuffing the candle out signify?
8. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
9. Discuss Waverly's mother's response to Waverly's success. Why might a daughter of Lindo Jong be seen as special? Why would Lindo want to brag and grandstand her daughter?
10. What is the difference between the little girl's response to her mother's admonishment about riding the bicycle, and the response that one of these older women might have had to their mothers' warnings years ago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about matchmaking in China. Although this practice was certainly not confined to China, it was practiced for several reasons, besides simply tradition. Research and understand the importance of this process, and share it in an essay, with examples and illustrations.
Essay Topic 2
Gold, as a medium of exchange, has been highly valued for centuries. Do some research on gold and write an essay on the early origins of its use, why it retains its value, and how it is used today. Form your own opinions as to the future of the value of gold, and give your reasons for your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Write a history of the game of Mah Jong, and provide a general description of how the game is played. Is it still a popular custom with the Chinese? What other games can it be compared to? Is it a game of concentration and focus, or simple entertainment and chance?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)