|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rose is afraid to tell her mother about her divorce because _______________________________________.
2. Waverly was named after ____________________________.
3. When Lena's mother speaks to her in Chinese, Lena ____________________________________.
4. The woman's feels her daughter __________________.
5. An-Mei Hsu grew up with ___________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Rose's mother, An-Mei Hsu, has raised quite a large family in America. What might have made her want so many children?
2. An-Mei has an interesting way of storing her Bible. Discuss where the Bible is kept, and why.
3. Discuss why Lindo's clever scheme works on her mother-in-law.
4. Discuss Waverly's mother's response to Waverly's success. Why might a daughter of Lindo Jong be seen as special? Why would Lindo want to brag and grandstand her daughter?
5. What does Lindo's snuffing the candle out signify?
6. Discuss why the woman has never told her daughter about the single feather she kept from the swan.
7. Discuss the unusual circumstances under which Lena lives.
8. What might Ying Ying have been planning to ask the Moon Lady for if she had not become lost?
9. Why might it be that Jing-Mei continues to be a failure?
10. Why is Jing-Mei satisfied to hit the wrong notes on the piano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The four Chinese women who become friends in America meet in a Chinese Baptist church, which they were attending for practical reasons. What possible connections could Christianity have to their earlier religious beliefs in China? Did they all eventually accept Christianity over their old religion?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Chinese festivals and annual rituals, their origins, their meanings, whether they are still practiced. Can any of them be compared to certain beliefs and practices in the United States? If so, contrast and compare.
Essay Topic 3
Gold, as a medium of exchange, has been highly valued for centuries. Do some research on gold and write an essay on the early origins of its use, why it retains its value, and how it is used today. Form your own opinions as to the future of the value of gold, and give your reasons for your opinions.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)