|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An-Mei finds that in Tientsin, she has a __________________.
(a) New mother
(b) New husband
2. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
(a) Her tiger nature will enter her daughter
(b) Her mistakes will all be forgiven
(c) Her pain will will meld and become one with her daughter's
(d) She will atone for her daughter's sins
3. The characters in this parable are ______________________________.
(a) Rose and her mother
(b) June Woo and her mother
(c) Not yet known to the reader
(d) Waverly and her mother
4. An-Mei's mother makes life in Tientsin sound __________________________________.
(a) Abundant and exciting
(b) Frightening and mysterious
(c) A dangerous tourist town
(d) A city filled with foreigners
5. The grandmother asks the baby to teach her mother how to lose innocence, without losing hope, and _________________________-.
(a) How to laugh forever
(b) How to be a good mother
(c) How to forgive everyone
(d) How to be Queen of the Western Skis
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lena feel she caused Arnold's death?
2. Lindo's mother told her as a child that _________________________________.
3. The grandmother wonders if the child is laughing because __________________________________.
4. Waverly gives up chess for good because she ________________________________-.
5. Rich Schields makes several mistakes at dinner, the worst being ___________________________________.
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)