|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the mirror, the mother sees ______________________________.
(a) A new armoire
(b) Her daughter and husband happy
(c) Her future grandchild on her lap
(d) Her future grandchild's face
2. Ted makes the assumption that ______________________-.
(a) He will have to pay alimony
(b) Rose wants the divorce
(c) Rose will be disagreeable
(d) He will get the house
3. Ying-Ying's name means _____________________.
(a) Flying Tiger
(b) Timid Bird
(c) Clear Reflection
(d) Quiet Spirit
4. Why did Lena feel she caused Arnold's death?
(a) Because she wounded him emotionally
(b) She ate all of her rice
(c) She compared him to lepers
(d) She intended for him to die
5. Ying-Ying feels that aborting her baby was ______________________.
(a) A mortal sin
(b) An act of strength
(c) A weak moment
(d) An immature act
Short Answer Questions
1. Rose finds the imagery of Ted doing monkey business __________________.
2. The grandmother wonders aloud whether ____________________________________________.
3. Rich's reaction to his unintended insults toward Lindo was _________________________________________.
4. Jing-mei's job is that of a _____________________.
5. The grandmother wonders if the child is laughing because __________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In this chapter we learn the origin of Bing's name. What is it?
2. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
3. Why does Rose's mother say that Rose is without wood?
4. Lindo was a very strong girl, traveling alone and finding her way in San Francisco. How does Waverly compare to her mother in terms of strength and character?
5. Discuss what is meant in this chapter by "double face."
6. Does Ying-Ying love her husband, Saint?
7. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
8. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
9. It becomes more obvious in this chapter the kinds of adults that Jing-Mei and Waverly have grown into. Who is more likable?
10. Lindo knows Waverly's weak spots, and pokes at them. Discuss what they are.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)