|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lena's eating problem manifest itself?
(a) She became anorexic
(b) Her hatred consumed her
(c) Her skin broke out like leprosy
(d) Her mother's sack lunches made her sick
2. Waverly had to become ill before her mother would _____________________________-.
(a) Forbid her to play
(b) Encourage her to play
(c) Feed her again
(d) Speak to her again
3. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
(a) She will atone for her daughter's sins
(b) Her pain will will meld and become one with her daughter's
(c) Her mistakes will all be forgiven
(d) Her tiger nature will enter her daughter
4. Ted makes the assumption that ______________________-.
(a) He will get the house
(b) Rose wants the divorce
(c) He will have to pay alimony
(d) Rose will be disagreeable
5. Lindo's oldest son, Winston, ___________________________.
(a) Went to college and became a doctor
(b) Is a Chinese Baptist
(c) Died in a car accident at sixteen
(d) Went away to school
Short Answer Questions
1. Rich's reaction to his unintended insults toward Lindo was _________________________________________.
2. Jing-Mei Woo travels to China with ____________________-.
3. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
4. What does the jade pendant symbolize?
5. Waverly has an ignorant fear of Jing-mei's hairdresser _______________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
2. Why does Lena have such a strange financial relationship with Harold?
3. What is the lesson the woman is trying to impart, and the question she is wanting to have answered?
4. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
5. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
6. "Peach blossom luck" is a feng shui belief that certain objects and angles in a room will influence the happiness and longevity of a marriage. Discuss why or why not this might be possible.
7. Discuss what is meant in this chapter by "double face."
8. Does Rose grow in this chapter?
9. Why does Rose's mother say that Rose is without wood?
10. In this chapter we learn the origin of Bing's name. What is it?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)