|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The grandmother wonders aloud whether ____________________________________________.
(a) The baby is laughing at her or with her
(b) She sees negative things in others because she has them herself
(c) She is truly innocent or holds many secrets inside
(d) The baby has come from a royal place with Buddha
2. What does the jade pendant symbolize?
(b) We do not know
(d) Three pears
3. Jing-Mei Woo travels to China with ____________________-.
(a) Her sisters
(b) Her aunties
(c) Her children
(d) Her father
4. Why did Lena feel she caused Arnold's death?
(a) She ate all of her rice
(b) Because she wounded him emotionally
(c) She compared him to lepers
(d) She intended for him to die
5. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
(a) Be a good daughter
(b) Understand her life's importance
(c) Have stronger self-esteem
(d) Find a good relationship
Short Answer Questions
1. During the war, it was not well-known that the Japanese entered ________________________.
2. Rose being "without wood" symbolizes ________________________.
3. The mother has purchased a new mirror at _______________________.
4. The grandmother imagines the baby in this parable to be ________________________.
5. Waverly has an ignorant fear of Jing-mei's hairdresser _______________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what is meant in this chapter by "double face."
2. Ying-Ying's story is vast and complex, and one that her daughter has never known or understood. Why, in this chapter, has she decided to tell Lena everything about her life?
3. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
4. Does Rose grow in this chapter?
5. Why does Lena have such a strange financial relationship with Harold?
6. What is the purpose of a mother trying to impose her own values on her daughter's life?
7. How does it affect Jing-Mei to meet her long lost sisters in China?
8. Lindo was a very strong girl, traveling alone and finding her way in San Francisco. How does Waverly compare to her mother in terms of strength and character?
9. "Peach blossom luck" is a feng shui belief that certain objects and angles in a room will influence the happiness and longevity of a marriage. Discuss why or why not this might be possible.
10. Why does Rose's mother say that Rose is without wood?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)