|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The characters in this parable are ______________________________.
(a) Not yet known to the reader
(b) June Woo and her mother
(c) Rose and her mother
(d) Waverly and her mother
2. Jing-Mei Woo travels to China with ____________________-.
(a) Her sisters
(b) Her children
(c) Her aunties
(d) Her father
3. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
(a) She will atone for her daughter's sins
(b) Her mistakes will all be forgiven
(c) Her pain will will meld and become one with her daughter's
(d) Her tiger nature will enter her daughter
4. Three days of sleeping may have given Rose _________________.
(a) A break from work
(b) New nightmares about Ted
(c) A new strength
(d) A deeper sense of confusion
5. Waverly has an ignorant fear of Jing-mei's hairdresser _______________________________.
(a) Because he works on Howard Street
(b) Because she fears for her daughter
(c) Because he is reckless
(d) Because he is gay
Short Answer Questions
1. An-Mei's mother makes life in Tientsin sound __________________________________.
2. This daughter is tired of her mother's habit of ______________________________.
3. Rich Schields makes several mistakes at dinner, the worst being ___________________________________.
4. Lena and Harold are both _________________.
5. For dinner, Jing-mei and Canning share with his relatives ____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Lindo was a very strong girl, traveling alone and finding her way in San Francisco. How does Waverly compare to her mother in terms of strength and character?
2. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
3. The fact that June Woo's mother has searched for a lifetime for her two daughters, and then dies before she can see them again, is strongly ironic. How might the story have been different if she had lived to make the trip to China and reunited with her daughters?
4. In this chapter we learn the origin of Bing's name. What is it?
5. Why does Lena have such a strange financial relationship with Harold?
6. "Peach blossom luck" is a feng shui belief that certain objects and angles in a room will influence the happiness and longevity of a marriage. Discuss why or why not this might be possible.
7. What is the purpose of a mother trying to impose her own values on her daughter's life?
8. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
9. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
10. Does Rose grow in this chapter?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)