|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The sisters in China were told their mother was dead by __________________.
(a) A letter from Auntie Lindo
(c) A telegram from Jing-Mei's father
(d) A phone call from Auntie An-Mei
2. At lunch together, Waverly's mother _____________________________________.
(a) Is concerned about her heart
(b) Is nervous and skittery
(c) Criticizes Waverly's choice of friends
(d) Criticizes everything about the restaurant and food
3. Lena and Harold are both _________________.
(d) Building designers
4. Lindo's mother told her as a child that _________________________________.
(a) She would follow her nose to good luck
(b) She would marry well
(c) She would grow up to be unfortunate
(d) She would later learn to worry and lose her hair
5. Old Mr. Chou is ___________________________________.
(a) A neighbor who tends Rose's garden
(b) An old friend of An-Mei's
(c) A Chinese fortune teller
(d) A fantasy figure from the world of sleep
Short Answer Questions
1. The mother has purchased a new mirror at _______________________.
2. Clifford St. Clair's gifts to Ying-Ying were ___________________________.
3. An-Mei finds that in Tientsin, she has a __________________.
4. An-Mei's mother was not always a fourth wife, but was once a _______________________.
5. Jing-Mei Woo travels to China with ____________________-.
Short Essay Questions
1. Lindo knows Waverly's weak spots, and pokes at them. Discuss what they are.
2. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
3. Does Rose grow in this chapter?
4. Why does Rose's mother say that Rose is without wood?
5. Ying-Ying's story is vast and complex, and one that her daughter has never known or understood. Why, in this chapter, has she decided to tell Lena everything about her life?
6. What is the purpose of a mother trying to impose her own values on her daughter's life?
7. Is there a character in this story who might be represented in this parable?
8. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
9. Lindo was a very strong girl, traveling alone and finding her way in San Francisco. How does Waverly compare to her mother in terms of strength and character?
10. "Peach blossom luck" is a feng shui belief that certain objects and angles in a room will influence the happiness and longevity of a marriage. Discuss why or why not this might be possible.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)