|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ted makes the assumption that ______________________-.
(a) He will have to pay alimony
(b) He will get the house
(c) Rose will be disagreeable
(d) Rose wants the divorce
2. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
(a) Find a good relationship
(b) Be a good daughter
(c) Have stronger self-esteem
(d) Understand her life's importance
3. Canning Woo's nickname, Syau Yen, means __________________.
(a) Little Wild Goose
(b) Little ghost
(c) Small fox
(d) Happy boy
4. Rich's reaction to his unintended insults toward Lindo was _________________________________________.
(a) He admitted his bleak failure
(b) He never realized he had done anything wrong
(c) He was loyal to Waverly
(d) He thinks they do not like him
5. Waverly has an ignorant fear of Jing-mei's hairdresser _______________________________.
(a) Because he is gay
(b) Because he works on Howard Street
(c) Because he is reckless
(d) Because she fears for her daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. Jing-Mei Woo travels to China with ____________________-.
2. Why did Lena feel she caused Arnold's death?
3. The characters in this parable are ______________________________.
4. Clifford St. Clair's gifts to Ying-Ying were ___________________________.
5. Rich Schields makes several mistakes at dinner, the worst being ___________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Rose grow in this chapter?
2. The fact that June Woo's mother has searched for a lifetime for her two daughters, and then dies before she can see them again, is strongly ironic. How might the story have been different if she had lived to make the trip to China and reunited with her daughters?
3. How does it affect Jing-Mei to meet her long lost sisters in China?
4. Lindo knows Waverly's weak spots, and pokes at them. Discuss what they are.
5. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
6. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
7. In this chapter we learn the origin of Bing's name. What is it?
8. Why does Lena have such a strange financial relationship with Harold?
9. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
10. Does Ying-Ying love her husband, Saint?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)