|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The grandmother wonders if the child is laughing because __________________________________.
(a) She knows her grandmother has become evil
(b) She is seeing her grandmother's suspicious nose
(c) Buddha is teaching her to laugh for no reason
(d) She knows more about the world than most
2. An-Mei's mother told her a story of a tear-eating __________________.
(b) Bird of joy
(d) Little pond
3. An-Mei's mother makes life in Tientsin sound __________________________________.
(a) A city filled with foreigners
(b) Abundant and exciting
(c) Frightening and mysterious
(d) A dangerous tourist town
4. An-Mei's brother cannot come with their mother because _______________________________.
(a) He would lose any hope for a future
(b) His aunt and uncle forbid it
(c) She has not invited him to follow her
(d) Boys must stay home to care for their aunts
5. Jing-Mei Woo travels to China with ____________________-.
(a) Her sisters
(b) Her father
(c) Her children
(d) Her aunties
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the supposed effect of a mirror at the foot of the bed?
2. What does the jade pendant symbolize?
3. The sisters in China were told their mother was dead by __________________.
4. An-Mei finds that in Tientsin, she has a __________________.
5. The characters in this parable are ______________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there a character in this story who might be represented in this parable?
2. What is the purpose of a mother trying to impose her own values on her daughter's life?
3. How does it affect Jing-Mei to meet her long lost sisters in China?
4. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
5. Discuss what is meant in this chapter by "double face."
6. Does Ying-Ying love her husband, Saint?
7. In this chapter we learn the origin of Bing's name. What is it?
8. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
9. Lindo knows Waverly's weak spots, and pokes at them. Discuss what they are.
10. Ying-Ying's story is vast and complex, and one that her daughter has never known or understood. Why, in this chapter, has she decided to tell Lena everything about her life?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)