|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rose being "without wood" symbolizes ________________________.
(a) Her lack of a home
(b) Her weak nature
(c) Her lack of furniture
2. The grandmother wonders aloud whether ____________________________________________.
(a) The baby has come from a royal place with Buddha
(b) She is truly innocent or holds many secrets inside
(c) She sees negative things in others because she has them herself
(d) The baby is laughing at her or with her
3. Suyuan Woo compares Waverly to a crab, saying she _________________________________________.
(a) She is missing something, like the crab's leg
(b) Is always moving sideways and crooked
(c) Her claws are sharp but slow, like the crab
(d) She is without feelings, like the crab
4. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
(a) The Mandarin dialect
(c) The Cantonese dialect
5. The grandmother imagines the baby in this parable to be ________________________.
(a) Buddah's granddaughter
(b) Empress of China
(c) Syi Wang Mu
(d) Hwai dungsyi
Short Answer Questions
1. In the mirror, the mother sees ______________________________.
2. Lena is certain her mother is able to _________________________.
3. This daughter is tired of her mother's habit of ______________________________.
4. During an epidemic in Shanghai, Ying-Ying worked in ____________________.
5. Jing-Mei Woo travels to China with ____________________-.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lesson the woman is trying to impart, and the question she is wanting to have answered?
2. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
3. Does Ying-Ying love her husband, Saint?
4. Lindo was a very strong girl, traveling alone and finding her way in San Francisco. How does Waverly compare to her mother in terms of strength and character?
5. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
6. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
7. Why does Rose's mother say that Rose is without wood?
8. Why does Lena have such a strange financial relationship with Harold?
9. In this chapter we learn the origin of Bing's name. What is it?
10. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)