|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rich Schields makes several mistakes at dinner, the worst being ___________________________________.
(a) He accidentally insults Lindo's cooking
(b) He brings wine to people who do not own wineglasses
(c) He spills food
(d) He drinks too much wine
2. Lindo is ashamed that Waverly _________________________.
(a) Thinks she needs to have her hair done
(b) Does not like her purple tinted hair
(c) Looks so much like her
(d) Is not proud of her
3. Old Mr. Chou is ___________________________________.
(a) An old friend of An-Mei's
(b) A fantasy figure from the world of sleep
(c) A Chinese fortune teller
(d) A neighbor who tends Rose's garden
4. The grandmother wonders aloud whether ____________________________________________.
(a) She is truly innocent or holds many secrets inside
(b) She sees negative things in others because she has them herself
(c) The baby is laughing at her or with her
(d) The baby has come from a royal place with Buddha
5. Why will a second mirror help the daughter?
(a) Two mirrors balance the emotions
(b) Bad omens dissolve between the two
(c) Another mirror will scare away bad energy
(d) The two mirrors will multiply luck
Short Answer Questions
1. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
2. An-Mei's mother told her a story of a tear-eating __________________.
3. The grandmother wonders if the child is laughing because __________________________________.
4. Jing-Mei Woo travels to China with ____________________-.
5. Waverly chooses the best crab on the platter for _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rose's mother say that Rose is without wood?
2. Is there a character in this story who might be represented in this parable?
3. Does Rose grow in this chapter?
4. Why does Lena have such a strange financial relationship with Harold?
5. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
6. Lindo was a very strong girl, traveling alone and finding her way in San Francisco. How does Waverly compare to her mother in terms of strength and character?
7. How does it affect Jing-Mei to meet her long lost sisters in China?
8. Ying-Ying's story is vast and complex, and one that her daughter has never known or understood. Why, in this chapter, has she decided to tell Lena everything about her life?
9. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
10. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)