|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rose finds the imagery of Ted doing monkey business __________________.
2. The sisters in China were told their mother was dead by __________________.
(a) A telegram from Jing-Mei's father
(b) A phone call from Auntie An-Mei
(d) A letter from Auntie Lindo
3. Rich Schields makes several mistakes at dinner, the worst being ___________________________________.
(a) He spills food
(b) He accidentally insults Lindo's cooking
(c) He brings wine to people who do not own wineglasses
(d) He drinks too much wine
4. The vase that breaks in the bedroom symbolizes _____________________________.
(a) The separation of two halves
(b) Lena and Harold's marriage
(c) Harold's insensitivity
(d) Lena's mother's prophecy
5. In Peking, Lindo paid a Chinese girl to ____________________________.
(a) Show her how to be an American
(b) Teach her Chinese embroidery
(c) Show her how to be a better Chinese wife
(d) Teach her how to be a mother
Short Answer Questions
1. An-Mei's mother was not always a fourth wife, but was once a _______________________.
2. How did Lena's eating problem manifest itself?
3. Why will a second mirror help the daughter?
4. An-Mei's brother cannot come with their mother because _______________________________.
5. During an epidemic in Shanghai, Ying-Ying worked in ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what is meant in this chapter by "double face."
2. Does Ying-Ying love her husband, Saint?
3. Does Rose grow in this chapter?
4. Why does Lena have such a strange financial relationship with Harold?
5. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
6. How does it affect Jing-Mei to meet her long lost sisters in China?
7. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
8. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
9. It becomes more obvious in this chapter the kinds of adults that Jing-Mei and Waverly have grown into. Who is more likable?
10. What is the purpose of a mother trying to impose her own values on her daughter's life?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)