|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rose Hu's confession that her marriage is ending prompts An-Mei to __________________________________-.
(a) Become depressed, as she was in childhood
(b) Beg Rose to not lose hope
(c) Relive the memories of her childhood
(d) Compare her to her aunt
2. At lunch together, Waverly's mother _____________________________________.
(a) Is concerned about her heart
(b) Criticizes everything about the restaurant and food
(c) Criticizes Waverly's choice of friends
(d) Is nervous and skittery
3. Ying-Ying feels that her daughter's home _________________________.
(a) Is boring and dull
(b) Has no life in it
(c) Is cold and unfriendly
(d) Is too fancy
4. Lindo's mother told her as a child that _________________________________.
(a) She would grow up to be unfortunate
(b) She would later learn to worry and lose her hair
(c) She would marry well
(d) She would follow her nose to good luck
5. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
(a) He wanted to be her husband
(b) He was cruel to her
(c) He was the cause of her eating problem
(d) He frightened her
Short Answer Questions
1. The grandmother admits that she ______________________________-.
2. Old Mr. Chou is ___________________________________.
3. What does the jade pendant symbolize?
4. The vase that breaks in the bedroom symbolizes _____________________________.
5. Lena is certain her mother is able to _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what is meant in this chapter by "double face."
2. Why does Rose's mother say that Rose is without wood?
3. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
4. Is there a character in this story who might be represented in this parable?
5. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
6. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
7. Lindo was a very strong girl, traveling alone and finding her way in San Francisco. How does Waverly compare to her mother in terms of strength and character?
8. It becomes more obvious in this chapter the kinds of adults that Jing-Mei and Waverly have grown into. Who is more likable?
9. In this chapter we learn the origin of Bing's name. What is it?
10. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)