|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The mother has purchased a new mirror at _______________________.
(a) The Price Club
(b) Dollar Store
(c) Twice Used Store
2. Jing-Mei Woo travels to China with ____________________-.
(a) Her sisters
(b) Her aunties
(c) Her father
(d) Her children
3. Ying-Ying feels that her daughter's home _________________________.
(a) Is too fancy
(b) Is cold and unfriendly
(c) Is boring and dull
(d) Has no life in it
4. The pastor, Wing, was a __________________________-.
(a) A longtime friend of Rose's mother
(b) Childhood friend of Rose's brother
(c) A childhood friend of Ted's
(d) A convicted criminal
5. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
(a) Her pain will will meld and become one with her daughter's
(b) Her tiger nature will enter her daughter
(c) Her mistakes will all be forgiven
(d) She will atone for her daughter's sins
Short Answer Questions
1. Lindo's oldest son, Winston, ___________________________.
2. Rich Schields makes several mistakes at dinner, the worst being ___________________________________.
3. Lindo is ashamed that Waverly _________________________.
4. What does the jade pendant symbolize?
5. Jing-mei's job is that of a _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. It becomes more obvious in this chapter the kinds of adults that Jing-Mei and Waverly have grown into. Who is more likable?
2. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
3. Lindo knows Waverly's weak spots, and pokes at them. Discuss what they are.
4. Is there a character in this story who might be represented in this parable?
5. What is the lesson the woman is trying to impart, and the question she is wanting to have answered?
6. What is the purpose of a mother trying to impose her own values on her daughter's life?
7. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
8. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
9. The fact that June Woo's mother has searched for a lifetime for her two daughters, and then dies before she can see them again, is strongly ironic. How might the story have been different if she had lived to make the trip to China and reunited with her daughters?
10. Ying-Ying's story is vast and complex, and one that her daughter has never known or understood. Why, in this chapter, has she decided to tell Lena everything about her life?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)