|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the war, it was not well-known that the Japanese entered ________________________.
2. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
(a) Understand her life's importance
(b) Find a good relationship
(c) Have stronger self-esteem
(d) Be a good daughter
3. Why did Lena feel she caused Arnold's death?
(a) She ate all of her rice
(b) She compared him to lepers
(c) She intended for him to die
(d) Because she wounded him emotionally
4. Waverly chooses the best crab on the platter for _______________________.
(a) Her fiance, Rich
(c) June Woo
(d) Her daugher, Shoshanna
5. Ying-Ying's name means _____________________.
(a) Timid Bird
(b) Clear Reflection
(c) Flying Tiger
(d) Quiet Spirit
Short Answer Questions
1. What the daughter sees in the mirror is _____________________.
2. An-Mei finds that in Tientsin, she has a __________________.
3. Lindo is disappointed that she could not __________________________________.
4. Clifford St. Clair's gifts to Ying-Ying were ___________________________.
5. Waverly gives up chess for good because she ________________________________-.
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Rose grow in this chapter?
2. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
3. Why does Rose's mother say that Rose is without wood?
4. Discuss what is meant in this chapter by "double face."
5. It becomes more obvious in this chapter the kinds of adults that Jing-Mei and Waverly have grown into. Who is more likable?
6. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
7. Is there a character in this story who might be represented in this parable?
8. What is the lesson the woman is trying to impart, and the question she is wanting to have answered?
9. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
10. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)