|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During an epidemic in Shanghai, Ying-Ying worked in ____________________.
(a) Her relatives' home
(b) The farmers' market
(c) A local hospital
(d) A clothing store
2. Jing-mei's job is that of a _____________________.
(d) Tax attorney
3. An-Mei's mother told her a story of a tear-eating __________________.
(c) Little pond
(d) Bird of joy
4. Rose being "without wood" symbolizes ________________________.
(a) Her weak nature
(c) Her lack of furniture
(d) Her lack of a home
5. The pastor, Wing, was a __________________________-.
(a) A childhood friend of Ted's
(b) A longtime friend of Rose's mother
(c) A convicted criminal
(d) Childhood friend of Rose's brother
Short Answer Questions
1. Waverly gives up chess for good because she ________________________________-.
2. The characters in this parable are ______________________________.
3. Lindo's mother told her as a child that _________________________________.
4. What does the jade pendant symbolize?
5. The sisters in China were told their mother was dead by __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lesson the woman is trying to impart, and the question she is wanting to have answered?
2. "Peach blossom luck" is a feng shui belief that certain objects and angles in a room will influence the happiness and longevity of a marriage. Discuss why or why not this might be possible.
3. Lindo was a very strong girl, traveling alone and finding her way in San Francisco. How does Waverly compare to her mother in terms of strength and character?
4. Discuss what is meant in this chapter by "double face."
5. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
6. Is there a character in this story who might be represented in this parable?
7. In this chapter we learn the origin of Bing's name. What is it?
8. Does Ying-Ying love her husband, Saint?
9. How does it affect Jing-Mei to meet her long lost sisters in China?
10. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)