|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An-Mei's mother was not always a fourth wife, but was once a _______________________.
(a) Model in Tientsin
(b) First wife of a scholar
(c) Second wife of a villager
(d) First wife of a poor servant
2. In Peking, Lindo paid a Chinese girl to ____________________________.
(a) Show her how to be a better Chinese wife
(b) Teach her Chinese embroidery
(c) Show her how to be an American
(d) Teach her how to be a mother
3. Rose Hu's confession that her marriage is ending prompts An-Mei to __________________________________-.
(a) Compare her to her aunt
(b) Relive the memories of her childhood
(c) Beg Rose to not lose hope
(d) Become depressed, as she was in childhood
4. An-Mei finds that in Tientsin, she has a __________________.
(a) New mother
(b) New husband
5. Waverly has an ignorant fear of Jing-mei's hairdresser _______________________________.
(a) Because he is reckless
(b) Because she fears for her daughter
(c) Because he works on Howard Street
(d) Because he is gay
Short Answer Questions
1. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
2. Ying-Ying feels that aborting her baby was ______________________.
3. The characters in this parable are ______________________________.
4. Rose being "without wood" symbolizes ________________________.
5. Three days of sleeping may have given Rose _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
2. Why does Rose's mother say that Rose is without wood?
3. "Peach blossom luck" is a feng shui belief that certain objects and angles in a room will influence the happiness and longevity of a marriage. Discuss why or why not this might be possible.
4. What is the lesson the woman is trying to impart, and the question she is wanting to have answered?
5. It becomes more obvious in this chapter the kinds of adults that Jing-Mei and Waverly have grown into. Who is more likable?
6. Discuss what is meant in this chapter by "double face."
7. Does Ying-Ying love her husband, Saint?
8. How does it affect Jing-Mei to meet her long lost sisters in China?
9. Lindo knows Waverly's weak spots, and pokes at them. Discuss what they are.
10. Why does Lena have such a strange financial relationship with Harold?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)