|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The pastor, Wing, was a __________________________-.
(a) Childhood friend of Rose's brother
(b) A childhood friend of Ted's
(c) A longtime friend of Rose's mother
(d) A convicted criminal
2. Jing-mei's job is that of a _____________________.
(b) Tax attorney
3. Rose Hu's confession that her marriage is ending prompts An-Mei to __________________________________-.
(a) Become depressed, as she was in childhood
(b) Relive the memories of her childhood
(c) Beg Rose to not lose hope
(d) Compare her to her aunt
4. The grandmother wonders aloud whether ____________________________________________.
(a) She sees negative things in others because she has them herself
(b) The baby has come from a royal place with Buddha
(c) The baby is laughing at her or with her
(d) She is truly innocent or holds many secrets inside
5. During the war, it was not well-known that the Japanese entered ________________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Suyuan Woo compares Waverly to a crab, saying she _________________________________________.
2. This daughter is tired of her mother's habit of ______________________________.
3. What the daughter sees in the mirror is _____________________.
4. In the mirror, the mother sees ______________________________.
5. Three days of sleeping may have given Rose _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
2. What is the lesson the woman is trying to impart, and the question she is wanting to have answered?
3. Does Rose grow in this chapter?
4. Why does Rose's mother say that Rose is without wood?
5. Does Ying-Ying love her husband, Saint?
6. What does Jing-Mei's mother mean when she says that everyone else, with the exception of Jing-Mei, wants the best quality? How is Jing-Mei different?
7. What is the purpose of a mother trying to impose her own values on her daughter's life?
8. Discuss what is meant in this chapter by "double face."
9. Lindo knows Waverly's weak spots, and pokes at them. Discuss what they are.
10. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)