|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to promote her fertility, Lindo was given ________________________.
(a) Polished dowry furniture
(b) Scissors and sewing needles
(c) Strong backrubs
(d) Gold and jewelry
2. Ying Ying was disappointed to find out the Moon Lady in the play _________________________________.
(a) Could not grant wishes
(b) Was only an actress
(c) Was a figment of her imagination
(d) Was actually a man
3. Ted is frustrated with Lena because ___________________________.
(a) She cannot make a decision
(b) She is still attached to her family
(c) She does not like his mother
(d) She wants to control the relationship
4. The woman intends to learn in America how to __________________________________.
(a) Raise swans where they are free
(b) Open a business for Chinese
(c) Raise her own food
(d) Speak perfect American English
5. Jing-mei's mother ______________________________.
(a) Gave the piano back to Jing-Mei
(b) Sold the piano
(c) Had the piano tuned
(d) Got rid of the piano music
Short Answer Questions
1. The symbolic burning of the Five Evils was actually ___________________________.
2. Suyuan Woo hoped her daughter _________________________________.
3. An-Mei's mother left her behind in order to _____________________________________________.
4. An-Mei's brother lost his happiness when _______________________________________-.
5. The Hsus find that their Chinese relatives do not want American gifts, but prefer ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
2. How could a woman with twin babies leave them at the side of the road?
3. The fact that June Woo's mother has searched for a lifetime for her two daughters, and then dies before she can see them again, is strongly ironic. How might the story have been different if she had lived to make the trip to China and reunited with her daughters?
4. Why is Jing-Mei satisfied to hit the wrong notes on the piano?
5. An-Mei has an interesting way of storing her Bible. Discuss where the Bible is kept, and why.
6. Discuss why the woman has never told her daughter about the single feather she kept from the swan.
7. Waverly's unusual talent becomes a reason to pamper and spoil her. Does she appreciate this treatment? How does it affect her?
8. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
9. What triggers Ying-Ying's early memory of her traumatic fall from the family boat?
10. What does Lindo's snuffing the candle out signify?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)