|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Mah Jong tiles are arranged into ___________________.
(a) Three piles
(b) Four columns
(c) Three stacks
(d) Four walls
2. The token saved from the swan carries with it ________________________________.
(a) A fortune in memories
(b) A promise that she would learn English
(c) All the luck the woman did not have in China
(d) All the woman's good intentions
3. Filling out so many forms at customs, the woman _________________________________________.
(a) Forgot where she was and became confused
(b) Forgot to take the swan with her
(c) Forgot why she had come and what she left behind
(d) Accidentally left the swan aboard the ship
4. In her final attempt to find Bing, Rose's mother ___________________________________.
(a) Tries to fish him out with a bamboo pole
(b) Throws an inner tube into the ocean for him
(c) Throws sweetened tea into the sea
(d) Begs the Coiled Dragon to give him back
5. Waverly's mother wanted Vincent's chess set _________________________.
(a) To have the missing pieces restored
(b) To be replaced with a new one
(c) To be thrown away
(d) To be returned to its owner
Short Answer Questions
1. An-Mei Hsu uses her Bible as ___________________________________.
2. Rose's mother, in exchange for Bing, gave to the ocean _____________________.
3. Suyuan Woo's beautiful mah jong table was made of __________________.
4. Rose's mother admitted to God that _______________________.
5. The clothes Ying-Ying wears for the Moon Festival are ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that worries the women about Jing-Mei's visit to China?
2. Is Ying-Ying a neglected child?
3. An-Mei has an interesting way of storing her Bible. Discuss where the Bible is kept, and why.
4. Lindo knows Waverly's weak spots, and pokes at them. Discuss what they are.
5. Why would Lindo begin to think of her cruel husband as a god?
6. Discuss the unusual circumstances under which Lena lives.
7. Lindo Jong became the property of her husband's family long before she went to live with them. Discuss how this changed the way her mother perceived her and treated her.
8. Rose's mother, An-Mei Hsu, has raised quite a large family in America. What might have made her want so many children?
9. What is the purpose of a mother trying to impose her own values on her daughter's life?
10. The parable is obviously based on a current-day story in which one of the mothers in the book tries to warn her daughter of her superstitions. Discuss other instances in the book up until this point where mothers feel they know so much more than their daughters.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)