|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A man on the street leers and acts threatening to Lena's mother. Her mother feels this happened because ______________________________.
(a) She had her daughter with her
(b) She had dressed up too much
(c) She was pregnant
(d) Her life was out of balance
2. The Hsu family went to beach so that Rose's father could __________________________.
(a) Play with his children
(c) Spend time with his wife
(d) Fish in the ocean
3. Ted is frustrated with Lena because ___________________________.
(a) She wants to control the relationship
(b) She cannot make a decision
(c) She is still attached to her family
(d) She does not like his mother
4. Waverly's mother uses Waverly __________________________.
(a) As a source of pride
(b) To preserve her Chinese customs
(c) To help with housework
(d) As a second income stream
5. The eternal aspect of Lindo's marriage was symbolized _________________________________.
(a) A ceremony with red scarves
(b) A tea ceremony about eternity
(c) A ride through town on a palanquin
(d) With a candle lit at both ends
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jing Mei guess was the capital of Finland?
2. Ying-Ying's family is __________________.
3. Between the child and mother there is a discernible sense of ______________________________.
4. The white swan was purchased _____________________.
5. Rose was surprised that her mother had ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the unusual circumstances under which Lena lives.
2. Waverly's unusual talent becomes a reason to pamper and spoil her. Does she appreciate this treatment? How does it affect her?
3. Waverly Place Jong is named after the street she lives on in San Francisco. Discuss other instances where children are named after localities, ideas or unusual things.
4. Lindo Jong became the property of her husband's family long before she went to live with them. Discuss how this changed the way her mother perceived her and treated her.
5. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
6. Discuss why Lindo's clever scheme works on her mother-in-law.
7. Is Ying-Ying a neglected child?
8. What might Ying Ying have been planning to ask the Moon Lady for if she had not become lost?
9. Ying-Ying has remained a frightened child into her adulthood, and now her daughter is forced to live with Ying-Ying's fears. Why is Ying-Ying St. Clair so afraid?
10. Jing-Mei Woo's mother and Waverly Jong's mother compete through their daughters' failures and successes. Are the two women friends?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)