|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lindo Jong's family treated her ________________________________.
(a) As though she was an unwanted child
(b) As though she were a ghost
(c) Like an orphan they cared for
(d) As though she belonged to someone else
2. What young Jing-Mei senses is that she will soon _________________________.
(a) Become invisible
(b) Be discovered
(c) Be a rock star
(d) Become perfect
3. Ying-Ying, or Betty, is consumed with ______________.
4. The pregnant servant girl became convinced that she ____________________________.
(a) Was of imperial ancestry
(b) Had caused Lindo's infertility
(c) Was doomed to live in poverty
(d) Was in love with Tyan-yu
5. Jing-mei's piano teacher is ________________________.
(a) Very attentive
(b) Deaf, like Beethoven
(c) Well known
Short Answer Questions
1. In her final attempt to find Bing, Rose's mother ___________________________________.
2. Besides losing her name, Lena's mother lost ________________________.
3. The Hsu family went to beach so that Rose's father could __________________________.
4. Lindo was able to convince her in-laws to end her marriage by ______________________________.
5. The old woman who buys a swan eventually _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
2. What does Lindo's snuffing the candle out signify?
3. Does the little girl fall from the bicycle because her mother is right, or because she is afraid her mother is right, or is it just a chance circumstance?
4. What is the difference between the little girl's response to her mother's admonishment about riding the bicycle, and the response that one of these older women might have had to their mothers' warnings years ago?
5. Is there a character in this story who might be represented in this parable?
6. An-Mei has an interesting way of storing her Bible. Discuss where the Bible is kept, and why.
7. Lindo knows Waverly's weak spots, and pokes at them. Discuss what they are.
8. Does Ying-Ying love her husband, Saint?
9. Discuss how it is that the Italian girl next door provides a sense of peace for Lena.
10. Waverly Place Jong is named after the street she lives on in San Francisco. Discuss other instances where children are named after localities, ideas or unusual things.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)