|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The mother's fear for her child is that _______________________________________.
(a) The child will be kidnapped by strangers
(b) The child will be struck by an automobile
(c) The child will become lost
(d) The child will fall down and she will not hear her cry
2. An-Mei's mother left her behind in order to _____________________________________________.
(a) Have her raised by a woman who was more stable
(b) Save An-Mei from her own humiliated station in life
(c) Save her from her new husband's disregard
(d) Let her have a life with her younger brother
3. The Hsu family went to beach so that Rose's father could __________________________.
(a) Play with his children
(b) Fish in the ocean
(d) Spend time with his wife
4. Waverly's mother says Waverly's success can be attributed to _______________.
(c) The gods
5. Rose's mother admitted to God that _______________________.
(a) Their was an ancestral debt
(b) She had sacred powers
(c) Rose had not taught Bing manners
(d) They had been careless
Short Answer Questions
1. A man on the street leers and acts threatening to Lena's mother. Her mother feels this happened because ______________________________.
2. Lena's great grandfather probably died from _____________________.
3. The event that clouds An-Mei's early memory of her mother was _________________________________________________.
4. What young Jing-Mei senses is that she will soon _________________________.
5. The woman's feels her daughter __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Ying-Ying's mental state and some of its origins.
2. Discuss why the current members of the Joy Luck Club have invested their winnings in the stock market.
3. The Moon Lady says woman is the dark yin, and man is the bright truth of yang. How did this kind of thinking affect the characters in this book over their lifetimes?
4. Discuss how it is that the Italian girl next door provides a sense of peace for Lena.
5. The woman wishes for a daughter just like herself, but there are some caveats. Discuss the things she does not want for her daughter.
6. What is the difference between the little girl's response to her mother's admonishment about riding the bicycle, and the response that one of these older women might have had to their mothers' warnings years ago?
7. Does the little girl fall from the bicycle because her mother is right, or because she is afraid her mother is right, or is it just a chance circumstance?
8. Discuss the "scar" reference. How did it happen and why?
9. Why did An-Mei's mother return to her sister's home where she was so unwanted and rejected? Was her mother the person An-Mei had thought she was?
10. Discuss why Lindo's clever scheme works on her mother-in-law.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)