|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Waverly's mother uses Waverly __________________________.
(a) To preserve her Chinese customs
(b) As a second income stream
(c) To help with housework
(d) As a source of pride
2. Lena's paranoia is increased by ___________________________________________.
(a) The sound of fighting in surrounding apartments
(b) Someone on the fire escape
(c) The sounds of traffic and dogs outside
(d) Sirens screaming up and down the hill
3. Tyan-Yu was _____________________________.
(a) A sex addict
(b) Much like a brave Chinese warrior
(c) Like a small child who never grew up
(d) An overbearing brute of a husband
4. Rose's mother admitted to God that _______________________.
(a) They had been careless
(b) She had sacred powers
(c) Their was an ancestral debt
(d) Rose had not taught Bing manners
5. In the city, a new type of thinking allows _________________________________.
(a) Women to choose their husbands
(b) People to live together unmarried
(c) A man to choose his own wife
(d) A woman to marry without permission
Short Answer Questions
1. Waverly Jong learned the finer points of chess from ___________________.
2. The pregnant servant girl became convinced that she ____________________________.
3. An-Mei Hsu grew up with ___________________________________.
4. The mother's fear for her child is that _______________________________________.
5. Jing-mei, tired of being pushed by her mother, develops _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Does the little girl fall from the bicycle because her mother is right, or because she is afraid her mother is right, or is it just a chance circumstance?
2. This parable is loaded with symbolism. Since the old woman paid a "foolish sum" for the swan, and then loses it, what might this symbolize?
3. Since the little girl is too young to be told about them all, discuss what some of the twenty-six malignant gates might be.
4. Why is Waverly disrespectful of her mother?
5. Discuss how it is that the Italian girl next door provides a sense of peace for Lena.
6. The soup An-Mei's mother made for her dying mother was the ultimate show of love for her mother. What does it symbolize?
7. What is it that worries the women about Jing-Mei's visit to China?
8. Rose's mother, An-Mei Hsu, has raised quite a large family in America. What might have made her want so many children?
9. What is the difference between the little girl's response to her mother's admonishment about riding the bicycle, and the response that one of these older women might have had to their mothers' warnings years ago?
10. Why is Bing's name written in erasable pencil in the Bible's Death section?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)