|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An-Mei Hsu uses her Bible as ___________________________________.
(a) A stabilizer under the leg of her table
(b) An excuse for all of her bad experiences
(c) A crutch to try to be right about everything
(d) A family history
2. The woman's daughter speaks _______________________.
(a) A combination of foreign languages
(b) Only English
(c) Only Chinese
(d) An unfamiliar dialect
3. Which kind of daughter did Jing-mei's mother want?
(b) Free spirited
4. The old woman who buys a swan eventually _____________________________.
(a) Takes the swan to America
(b) Eats the swan to survive
(c) Takes the swan back to China
(d) Gives the swan to her daughter
5. When in China, the women of the Joy Luck Club were not allowed __________________________.
(a) To think a bad thought
(b) To leave before sixteen hours were up
(c) To drink more than one cup of tea
(d) Focus on winning
Short Answer Questions
1. Jing-mei shocked the anger out of her mother by _______________________________________.
2. Lena St. Clair's mother appears to be _______________________.
3. Lena's father's heritage is __________________.
4. Mah Jong is __________________.
5. When Ying-Ying got dirty with turtle blood, Amah was afraid Ying-Ying's mother would _______________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jing-Mei satisfied to hit the wrong notes on the piano?
2. Why did An-Mei's mother return to her sister's home where she was so unwanted and rejected? Was her mother the person An-Mei had thought she was?
3. Jing-Mei Woo's mother and Waverly Jong's mother compete through their daughters' failures and successes. Are the two women friends?
4. Why would Lindo begin to think of her cruel husband as a god?
5. The Moon Lady says woman is the dark yin, and man is the bright truth of yang. How did this kind of thinking affect the characters in this book over their lifetimes?
6. What is it that worries the women about Jing-Mei's visit to China?
7. Discuss Ying-Ying's mental state and some of its origins.
8. What triggers Ying-Ying's early memory of her traumatic fall from the family boat?
9. Discuss the reason that An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" and does not live with her children.
10. Why is Bing's name written in erasable pencil in the Bible's Death section?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)