|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rose is afraid to tell her mother about her divorce because _______________________________________.
(a) She knows her mother will want her to fix the marriage
(b) Her mother warned her not to get married
(c) She does not want to confuse her
(d) She knows her mother will disown her
2. The mother appears certain that _________________________.
(a) The child will be captured
(b) The child will be obedient
(c) The child will respect her wishes
(d) The child will fall
3. Rose had to care for her brothers to learn ________________________.
(a) Parenting skills
(b) Water safety
(c) Yiding, or responsibility
(d) Fishing techniques
4. An-Mei's brother lost his happiness when _______________________________________-.
(a) His abusive aunt told him about his mother
(b) His grandmother punished him for laughing
(c) His father watched him from a painting
(d) His grandmother began to die
5. Waverly's anger toward her mother is because ________________________.
(a) She pushes her to play chess
(b) She is embarrassed
(c) She favors her sons
(d) She is too strict
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ying-Ying's unspoken wish?
2. Between the child and mother there is a discernible sense of ______________________________.
3. Suyuan Woo packed all of her belongings into a _________________.
4. An army officer told Suyuan Woo _________________________________-.
5. In the city, a new type of thinking allows _________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss why the woman has never told her daughter about the single feather she kept from the swan.
2. The parable is obviously based on a current-day story in which one of the mothers in the book tries to warn her daughter of her superstitions. Discuss other instances in the book up until this point where mothers feel they know so much more than their daughters.
3. Why is Jing-Mei satisfied to hit the wrong notes on the piano?
4. Discuss Waverly's mother's response to Waverly's success. Why might a daughter of Lindo Jong be seen as special? Why would Lindo want to brag and grandstand her daughter?
5. The Moon Lady says woman is the dark yin, and man is the bright truth of yang. How did this kind of thinking affect the characters in this book over their lifetimes?
6. The imagery of the woman fluttering her arms when the swan is taken from her is sad. What does it imply?
7. What does Lindo's snuffing the candle out signify?
8. What is the root problem in Rose's marriage?
9. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
10. Discuss the "scar" reference. How did it happen and why?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)