|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lena's family moves up in status by moving _____________________________.
(a) From China to New York
(b) To Little Itay
(c) From Oakland to San Francisco
(d) To a Cantonese neighborhood
2. The child in this parable is __________________.
(a) A ten-year-old girl
(c) A teenager
(d) A seven-year-old boy
3. Rose realizes that fate is shaped half by expectation, and _________________________.
(a) Half by negative thinking
(b) Half by inattention
(c) Half by the gods
(d) Half by pride
4. Lindo Jong's family treated her ________________________________.
(a) As though she belonged to someone else
(b) As though she were a ghost
(c) As though she was an unwanted child
(d) Like an orphan they cared for
5. Jing-mei shocked the anger out of her mother by _______________________________________.
(a) Making reference to the dead twins
(b) Telling her she wished she were not her mother
(c) Refusing to practice on the piano
(d) Telling her she was no genius
Short Answer Questions
1. Jing-mei, tired of being pushed by her mother, develops _______________________.
2. Lindo was forced to live with her future in-laws because ______________________________________.
3. The Hsu family had four sons and ______________________.
4. Tyan-Yu was _____________________________.
5. An-Mei's mother left her behind in order to _____________________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bing's name written in erasable pencil in the Bible's Death section?
2. Does Ying-Ying love her husband, Saint?
3. Discuss the unusual circumstances under which Lena lives.
4. What does Lindo's snuffing the candle out signify?
5. Discuss the reason that An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" and does not live with her children.
6. What is the purpose of a mother trying to impose her own values on her daughter's life?
7. What is it that worries the women about Jing-Mei's visit to China?
8. Does the little girl fall from the bicycle because her mother is right, or because she is afraid her mother is right, or is it just a chance circumstance?
9. Why did An-Mei's mother return to her sister's home where she was so unwanted and rejected? Was her mother the person An-Mei had thought she was?
10. Discuss why the current members of the Joy Luck Club have invested their winnings in the stock market.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)