|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Waverly's mother wanted Vincent's chess set _________________________.
(a) To be thrown away
(b) To be returned to its owner
(c) To be replaced with a new one
(d) To have the missing pieces restored
2. Amah is Ying-Ying's ___________.
3. The woman intends to learn in America how to __________________________________.
(a) Open a business for Chinese
(b) Speak perfect American English
(c) Raise swans where they are free
(d) Raise her own food
4. Ying-Ying's family is __________________.
(a) A poor family of servants
(b) A fishing family
(d) A boat family
5. When Teresa and her family get over their anger, and hug and kiss, Lena ______________________________________.
(a) Is angry that she had to witness the fight
(b) Tells her father Teresa went down the fire escape
(c) Wishes her mother would get angry
(d) Begins to have hope for her own life
Short Answer Questions
1. Waverly's mother uses Waverly __________________________.
2. Rose's mother recorded Bing's death _______________________.
3. The child's mother responds to the question about the twenty six gates, by _________________________________.
4. The symbolic burning of the Five Evils was actually ___________________________.
5. Suyuan Woo packed all of her belongings into a _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that worries the women about Jing-Mei's visit to China?
2. Why did An-Mei's mother return to her sister's home where she was so unwanted and rejected? Was her mother the person An-Mei had thought she was?
3. Why is Bing's name written in erasable pencil in the Bible's Death section?
4. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
5. What is the difference between the little girl's response to her mother's admonishment about riding the bicycle, and the response that one of these older women might have had to their mothers' warnings years ago?
6. Why would Lindo begin to think of her cruel husband as a god?
7. What might Ying Ying have been planning to ask the Moon Lady for if she had not become lost?
8. This parable is loaded with symbolism. Since the old woman paid a "foolish sum" for the swan, and then loses it, what might this symbolize?
9. Discuss Ying-Ying's mental state and some of its origins.
10. Rose's mother, An-Mei Hsu, has raised quite a large family in America. What might have made her want so many children?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)