|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An-Mei's mother shows up ___________________________.
(a) To help her mother in her illness
(b) To challenge An-Mei's aunt
(c) To retrieve An-Mei and her brother
(d) To reconcile with her children
2. The token saved from the swan carries with it ________________________________.
(a) All the luck the woman did not have in China
(b) All the woman's good intentions
(c) A fortune in memories
(d) A promise that she would learn English
3. The winner of the American Mah Jong game takes home _________________________.
(b) Leftover food
(c) City savings bonds
(d) Stock certificates
4. The white swan was purchased _____________________.
(a) In San Francisco
(b) Aboard the train
(c) In Shanghai
(d) In New York City
5. How did Ying-Ying's rescuers determine she was not a beggar?
(a) Her manners were polished
(b) She had on embroidered clothing
(c) She did not speak but could only cry
(d) She was pale with soft feet
Short Answer Questions
1. Lena's family moves up in status by moving _____________________________.
2. A Chinese Santa Claus asked Waverly ______________________________________.
3. Lena St. Clair's mother appears to be _______________________.
4. Jing-mei's mother ______________________________.
5. "Popo" is An-Mei's ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the unusual circumstances under which Lena lives.
2. Why did An-Mei's mother return to her sister's home where she was so unwanted and rejected? Was her mother the person An-Mei had thought she was?
3. Discuss the reason that An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" and does not live with her children.
4. What does Lindo's snuffing the candle out signify?
5. Since the little girl is too young to be told about them all, discuss what some of the twenty-six malignant gates might be.
6. Discuss Waverly's mother's response to Waverly's success. Why might a daughter of Lindo Jong be seen as special? Why would Lindo want to brag and grandstand her daughter?
7. What is the difference between the little girl's response to her mother's admonishment about riding the bicycle, and the response that one of these older women might have had to their mothers' warnings years ago?
8. Does the little girl fall from the bicycle because her mother is right, or because she is afraid her mother is right, or is it just a chance circumstance?
9. Discuss why the woman has never told her daughter about the single feather she kept from the swan.
10. What is it that worries the women about Jing-Mei's visit to China?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)