|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The winner of the American Mah Jong game takes home _________________________.
(a) Stock certificates
(b) Leftover food
(c) City savings bonds
2. Waverly Jong learned the finer points of chess from ___________________.
(a) Hong Sing
(b) Ping Yuen
(c) Winston Jong
(d) Lau Po
3. What young Jing-Mei senses is that she will soon _________________________.
(a) Be discovered
(b) Be a rock star
(c) Become invisible
(d) Become perfect
4. The symbolic burning of the Five Evils was actually ___________________________.
(a) A green coil of burning incense
(b) A box containing insects
(c) A box with Five Evils inside
(d) A cooling ritual
5. The mother appears certain that _________________________.
(a) The child will fall
(b) The child will respect her wishes
(c) The child will be obedient
(d) The child will be captured
Short Answer Questions
1. Jing Mei is afraid that if she does not find the prodigy in herself she will _________________________-.
2. Lena St. Clair's mother appears to be _______________________.
3. What frightens Jing-mei the most is that _______________________________.
4. The pregnant servant girl became convinced that she ____________________________.
5. Waverly replaces the missing chess pieces with _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Waverly disrespectful of her mother?
2. This parable is loaded with symbolism. Since the old woman paid a "foolish sum" for the swan, and then loses it, what might this symbolize?
3. The imagery of the woman fluttering her arms when the swan is taken from her is sad. What does it imply?
4. Waverly's unusual talent becomes a reason to pamper and spoil her. Does she appreciate this treatment? How does it affect her?
5. Lindo Jong became the property of her husband's family long before she went to live with them. Discuss how this changed the way her mother perceived her and treated her.
6. Discuss how it is that the Italian girl next door provides a sense of peace for Lena.
7. Why is Bing's name written in erasable pencil in the Bible's Death section?
8. Discuss Waverly's mother's response to Waverly's success. Why might a daughter of Lindo Jong be seen as special? Why would Lindo want to brag and grandstand her daughter?
9. Does the little girl fall from the bicycle because her mother is right, or because she is afraid her mother is right, or is it just a chance circumstance?
10. What is the difference between the little girl's response to her mother's admonishment about riding the bicycle, and the response that one of these older women might have had to their mothers' warnings years ago?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)