|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jing Mei guess was the capital of Finland?
(d) New York
2. When she was bored, Jing-mei ________________________________.
(a) Looked at herself in the mirro
(b) Read the Bible
(c) Counted the foghorn bellows on the bay
(d) Watched her mother jump up to adjust the television
3. What was Ying-Ying's unspoken wish?
(a) To become old
(b) To be found
(c) To not be afraid
(d) To be trusted
4. The Hsus find that their Chinese relatives do not want American gifts, but prefer ____________.
(a) Elegant luncheons
(c) Days in the mountains
(d) Picnics with the family
5. Tyan-Yu was _____________________________.
(a) Like a small child who never grew up
(b) A sex addict
(c) Much like a brave Chinese warrior
(d) An overbearing brute of a husband
Short Answer Questions
1. Lena's family moves up in status by moving _____________________________.
2. Lindo became aware of who she really was when ________________________________.
3. In addition to strategy, Waverly learns the finer points of ___________________________.
4. The white swan was purchased _____________________.
5. The woman transported the swan ____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. An-Mei has an interesting way of storing her Bible. Discuss where the Bible is kept, and why.
2. What might Ying Ying have been planning to ask the Moon Lady for if she had not become lost?
3. Why is Waverly disrespectful of her mother?
4. Rose's mother, An-Mei Hsu, has raised quite a large family in America. What might have made her want so many children?
5. Why might it be that Jing-Mei continues to be a failure?
6. What is the root problem in Rose's marriage?
7. Discuss the unusual circumstances under which Lena lives.
8. This parable is loaded with symbolism. Since the old woman paid a "foolish sum" for the swan, and then loses it, what might this symbolize?
9. Discuss why Lindo's clever scheme works on her mother-in-law.
10. The soup An-Mei's mother made for her dying mother was the ultimate show of love for her mother. What does it symbolize?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)