|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When she was bored, Jing-mei ________________________________.
(a) Watched her mother jump up to adjust the television
(b) Counted the foghorn bellows on the bay
(c) Read the Bible
(d) Looked at herself in the mirro
2. When Lena's mother speaks to her in Chinese, Lena ____________________________________.
(a) Translates for her father accuratey and succinctly
(b) Tries to pretend she does not understand
(c) Does not repeat some of what her mother says
(d) Writes down everything and translates it later
3. Jing-mei's piano teacher is ________________________.
(b) Well known
(c) Deaf, like Beethoven
(d) Very attentive
4. Ying-Ying, or Betty, is consumed with ______________.
5. Rose's mother, in exchange for Bing, gave to the ocean _____________________.
(a) Her teacup
(b) A sapphire ring
(c) Her bible
(d) A bamboo pole
Short Answer Questions
1. In this parable, the corner represents ________________________________.
2. Lindo was able to convince her in-laws to end her marriage by ______________________________.
3. Rose is afraid to tell her mother about her divorce because _______________________________________.
4. Jing-mei, tired of being pushed by her mother, develops _______________________.
5. The Hsus find that their Chinese relatives do not want American gifts, but prefer ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss how it is that the Italian girl next door provides a sense of peace for Lena.
2. What is it that worries the women about Jing-Mei's visit to China?
3. Ying-Ying has remained a frightened child into her adulthood, and now her daughter is forced to live with Ying-Ying's fears. Why is Ying-Ying St. Clair so afraid?
4. Rose's mother, An-Mei Hsu, has raised quite a large family in America. What might have made her want so many children?
5. What is the difference between the little girl's response to her mother's admonishment about riding the bicycle, and the response that one of these older women might have had to their mothers' warnings years ago?
6. Why is Jing-Mei satisfied to hit the wrong notes on the piano?
7. The woman wishes for a daughter just like herself, but there are some caveats. Discuss the things she does not want for her daughter.
8. The soup An-Mei's mother made for her dying mother was the ultimate show of love for her mother. What does it symbolize?
9. How could a woman with twin babies leave them at the side of the road?
10. This parable is loaded with symbolism. Since the old woman paid a "foolish sum" for the swan, and then loses it, what might this symbolize?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)