|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lindo's mother-in-law _______________________________.
(a) Raised Lindo as her own child
(b) Taught Lindo to be a good housewife
(c) Helped Lindo learn to read
(d) Isolated Lindo throughout her childhood
2. The mother's fear for her child is that _______________________________________.
(a) The child will be struck by an automobile
(b) The child will be kidnapped by strangers
(c) The child will fall down and she will not hear her cry
(d) The child will become lost
3. Filling out so many forms at customs, the woman _________________________________________.
(a) Forgot why she had come and what she left behind
(b) Forgot to take the swan with her
(c) Accidentally left the swan aboard the ship
(d) Forgot where she was and became confused
4. How did Jing-mei justify her defiance of her mother?
(a) She knows her mother is wrong
(b) Obedience does not make talent
(c) Her mother had left her babies
(d) They are in America, not China
5. The woman intends to learn in America how to __________________________________.
(a) Open a business for Chinese
(b) Raise her own food
(c) Speak perfect American English
(d) Raise swans where they are free
Short Answer Questions
1. Throughout the discussion between the mother and child, the mother continues to _______________.
2. The clothes Ying-Ying wears for the Moon Festival are ________________________.
3. Rose's mother recorded Bing's death _______________________.
4. As national chess champion, Waverly is touted as __________________________.
5. Rose is afraid to tell her mother about her divorce because _______________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
2. Why is Jing-Mei satisfied to hit the wrong notes on the piano?
3. Discuss why the woman has never told her daughter about the single feather she kept from the swan.
4. The imagery of the woman fluttering her arms when the swan is taken from her is sad. What does it imply?
5. The Moon Lady says woman is the dark yin, and man is the bright truth of yang. How did this kind of thinking affect the characters in this book over their lifetimes?
6. What is the difference between the little girl's response to her mother's admonishment about riding the bicycle, and the response that one of these older women might have had to their mothers' warnings years ago?
7. Discuss Ying-Ying's mental state and some of its origins.
8. An-Mei has an interesting way of storing her Bible. Discuss where the Bible is kept, and why.
9. Ying-Ying has remained a frightened child into her adulthood, and now her daughter is forced to live with Ying-Ying's fears. Why is Ying-Ying St. Clair so afraid?
10. The soup An-Mei's mother made for her dying mother was the ultimate show of love for her mother. What does it symbolize?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)