Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Twenty Six Malignant Gates is about _____________________________________________.
(a) The diseases that are contagious and looming outside
(b) The crime that lies beyond the gates
(c) The bad things that can happen outside the house's protection
(d) The dangers present when one travels on wheels
2. The Hsu family went to beach so that Rose's father could __________________________.
(a) Play with his children
(c) Fish in the ocean
(d) Spend time with his wife
3. When Teresa and her family get over their anger, and hug and kiss, Lena ______________________________________.
(a) Tells her father Teresa went down the fire escape
(b) Wishes her mother would get angry
(c) Is angry that she had to witness the fight
(d) Begins to have hope for her own life
4. Lena St. Clair's mother appears to be _______________________.
(a) Mentally ill
(c) Afraid of Lena
(d) Happy to be a mother
5. The eternal aspect of Lindo's marriage was symbolized _________________________________.
(a) A ride through town on a palanquin
(b) With a candle lit at both ends
(c) A ceremony with red scarves
(d) A tea ceremony about eternity
Short Answer Questions
1. Rose was surprised that her mother had ___________________________.
2. When she immigrated,what did Lena's father rename Ying-Ying?
3. When Lena's mother speaks to her in Chinese, Lena ____________________________________.
4. Amah is Ying-Ying's ___________.
5. Lena's great grandfather probably died from _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Rose's mother, An-Mei Hsu, has raised quite a large family in America. What might have made her want so many children?
2. Discuss why the woman has never told her daughter about the single feather she kept from the swan.
3. What is the purpose of a mother trying to impose her own values on her daughter's life?
4. Why did An-Mei's mother return to her sister's home where she was so unwanted and rejected? Was her mother the person An-Mei had thought she was?
5. Does Ying-Ying love her husband, Saint?
6. Why would Lindo begin to think of her cruel husband as a god?
7. Why might it be that Jing-Mei continues to be a failure?
8. Why did An-Mei feel she had no choice but to marry Wu Tsing?
9. Discuss why Lindo's clever scheme works on her mother-in-law.
10. June Woo started the American Joy Luck Club because she sensed the grief in the other Chinese people she met here. How does the club help June Woo deal with her own tragic memories?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)