|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Waverly Jong's mother taught her early about ____________________________.
(a) Invisible strength
(b) How to shop
(c) Forbidden fruits
(d) Dim Sum
2. The child cannot read about the Malignant Gates because _______________________________.
(a) It is adult reading, not meant for children
(b) Her mother refuses to let her see the book
(c) It is far beyond her reading level
(d) It is written in Chinese
3. In her final attempt to find Bing, Rose's mother ___________________________________.
(a) Tries to fish him out with a bamboo pole
(b) Throws sweetened tea into the sea
(c) Begs the Coiled Dragon to give him back
(d) Throws an inner tube into the ocean for him
4. The eternal aspect of Lindo's marriage was symbolized _________________________________.
(a) A tea ceremony about eternity
(b) With a candle lit at both ends
(c) A ceremony with red scarves
(d) A ride through town on a palanquin
5. Jing Mei is afraid that if she does not find the prodigy in herself she will _________________________-.
(a) Not quite measure up
(b) Always be nothing
(c) Not learn to play chess
(d) Not be able to compete with her cousin
Short Answer Questions
1. "Popo" is An-Mei's ________________________.
2. The swan represents to the old woman ____________________________.
3. The child in this parable is __________________.
4. What was Ying-Ying feeling at the end of the Moon Lady play?
5. Between the child and mother there is a discernible sense of ______________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Since the little girl is too young to be told about them all, discuss what some of the twenty-six malignant gates might be.
2. Lindo Jong became the property of her husband's family long before she went to live with them. Discuss how this changed the way her mother perceived her and treated her.
3. What does Lindo's snuffing the candle out signify?
4. The Moon Lady says woman is the dark yin, and man is the bright truth of yang. How did this kind of thinking affect the characters in this book over their lifetimes?
5. Discuss Waverly's mother's response to Waverly's success. Why might a daughter of Lindo Jong be seen as special? Why would Lindo want to brag and grandstand her daughter?
6. Why is Waverly disrespectful of her mother?
7. Discuss why the woman has never told her daughter about the single feather she kept from the swan.
8. What is the root problem in Rose's marriage?
9. Why did An-Mei's mother return to her sister's home where she was so unwanted and rejected? Was her mother the person An-Mei had thought she was?
10. Discuss the unusual circumstances under which Lena lives.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)