|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mah Jong is __________________.
(a) A poker game
(b) A word game
(c) A board game
(d) Fortune telling
2. The child's mother responds to the question about the twenty six gates, by _________________________________.
(a) Writing the bad things on paper
(b) Holding and rocking the child
(c) Silently ignoring the child's question
(d) Dragging out an old Chinese book
3. An-Mei Hsu uses her Bible as ___________________________________.
(a) A crutch to try to be right about everything
(b) A stabilizer under the leg of her table
(c) A family history
(d) An excuse for all of her bad experiences
4. The old woman who buys a swan eventually _____________________________.
(a) Takes the swan back to China
(b) Takes the swan to America
(c) Gives the swan to her daughter
(d) Eats the swan to survive
5. What young Jing-Mei senses is that she will soon _________________________.
(a) Be a rock star
(b) Become perfect
(c) Be discovered
(d) Become invisible
Short Answer Questions
1. Jing Mei is afraid that if she does not find the prodigy in herself she will _________________________-.
2. When she immigrated,what did Lena's father rename Ying-Ying?
3. The woman's feels her daughter __________________.
4. Ying Ying was disappointed to find out the Moon Lady in the play _________________________________.
5. Filling out so many forms at customs, the woman _________________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Lindo Jong became the property of her husband's family long before she went to live with them. Discuss how this changed the way her mother perceived her and treated her.
2. Discuss why the woman has never told her daughter about the single feather she kept from the swan.
3. Discuss why Lindo's clever scheme works on her mother-in-law.
4. What is it that worries the women about Jing-Mei's visit to China?
5. The soup An-Mei's mother made for her dying mother was the ultimate show of love for her mother. What does it symbolize?
6. Waverly's unusual talent becomes a reason to pamper and spoil her. Does she appreciate this treatment? How does it affect her?
7. What might Ying Ying have been planning to ask the Moon Lady for if she had not become lost?
8. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
9. Why is Bing's name written in erasable pencil in the Bible's Death section?
10. The imagery of the woman fluttering her arms when the swan is taken from her is sad. What does it imply?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)