|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An-Mei Hsu grew up with ___________________________________.
(a) Her grandmother and her little brother
(b) Her father and her little brother
(c) Her auntie and uncle
(d) Her mother and father
2. The symbolic burning of the Five Evils was actually ___________________________.
(a) A box with Five Evils inside
(b) A cooling ritual
(c) A green coil of burning incense
(d) A box containing insects
3. In her final attempt to find Bing, Rose's mother ___________________________________.
(a) Begs the Coiled Dragon to give him back
(b) Throws sweetened tea into the sea
(c) Tries to fish him out with a bamboo pole
(d) Throws an inner tube into the ocean for him
4. Waverly replaces the missing chess pieces with _____________________.
(a) Stones from the alley
(b) Her brother's submarine figures
(c) Ones she makes from dough
5. Amah is Ying-Ying's ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Suyuan Woo's husband leaves her to __________________________.
2. The child's mother responds to the question about the twenty six gates, by _________________________________.
3. An-Mei's mother shows up ___________________________.
4. The mother's fear for her child is that _______________________________________.
5. Lena's family moves up in status by moving _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss how it is that the Italian girl next door provides a sense of peace for Lena.
2. Does the little girl fall from the bicycle because her mother is right, or because she is afraid her mother is right, or is it just a chance circumstance?
3. Discuss the reason that An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" and does not live with her children.
4. The imagery of the woman fluttering her arms when the swan is taken from her is sad. What does it imply?
5. What is it that worries the women about Jing-Mei's visit to China?
6. Discuss why the woman has never told her daughter about the single feather she kept from the swan.
7. What is the difference between the little girl's response to her mother's admonishment about riding the bicycle, and the response that one of these older women might have had to their mothers' warnings years ago?
8. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
9. Why might it be that Jing-Mei continues to be a failure?
10. Discuss the "scar" reference. How did it happen and why?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)