|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Ying-Ying's rescuers determine she was not a beggar?
(a) She had on embroidered clothing
(b) She did not speak but could only cry
(c) She was pale with soft feet
(d) Her manners were polished
2. The winner of the American Mah Jong game takes home _________________________.
(b) Stock certificates
(c) City savings bonds
(d) Leftover food
3. Amah is Ying-Ying's ___________.
4. An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" because _________________________________.
(a) She had children out of wedlock
(b) She is only a fourth wife
(c) She has deserted her children
(d) She has had too many children
5. In order to promote her fertility, Lindo was given ________________________.
(a) Gold and jewelry
(b) Scissors and sewing needles
(c) Polished dowry furniture
(d) Strong backrubs
Short Answer Questions
1. Suyuan Woo's husband leaves her to __________________________.
2. In the city, a new type of thinking allows _________________________________.
3. Suyuan Woo hoped her daughter _________________________________.
4. "Popo" is An-Mei's ________________________.
5. How did Lena learn that a new baby was coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Waverly's mother's response to Waverly's success. Why might a daughter of Lindo Jong be seen as special? Why would Lindo want to brag and grandstand her daughter?
2. Ying-Ying has remained a frightened child into her adulthood, and now her daughter is forced to live with Ying-Ying's fears. Why is Ying-Ying St. Clair so afraid?
3. Why is Jing-Mei satisfied to hit the wrong notes on the piano?
4. Why is Waverly disrespectful of her mother?
5. Discuss why the woman has never told her daughter about the single feather she kept from the swan.
6. Discuss why Lindo's clever scheme works on her mother-in-law.
7. Discuss the "scar" reference. How did it happen and why?
8. Rose's mother, An-Mei Hsu, has raised quite a large family in America. What might have made her want so many children?
9. The imagery of the woman fluttering her arms when the swan is taken from her is sad. What does it imply?
10. What is the root problem in Rose's marriage?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)