|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The event that clouds An-Mei's early memory of her mother was _________________________________________________.
(a) She fell as she ran toward her mother
(b) Her aunt slapped her face
(c) She becomes convinced her that her mother was dead
(d) She was severely burned as her mother was leaving
2. The mother's fear for her child is that _______________________________________.
(a) The child will be struck by an automobile
(b) The child will be kidnapped by strangers
(c) The child will become lost
(d) The child will fall down and she will not hear her cry
3. Amah is Ying-Ying's ___________.
4. Waverly replaces the missing chess pieces with _____________________.
(a) Ones she makes from dough
(c) Her brother's submarine figures
(d) Stones from the alley
5. The woman transported the swan ____________________________.
(a) From Hong Kong to Shanghai
(b) From New York to San Francisco
(c) From Shanghai to Kweilin
(d) From Shanghai to America
Short Answer Questions
1. Waverly's mother pretending to understand chess is ____________________________.
2. When Ying-Ying got dirty with turtle blood, Amah was afraid Ying-Ying's mother would _______________________________.
3. At the Mah Jong table, Suyuan Woo always sat _________________________-.
4. Mah Jong is __________________.
5. Ying-Ying, or Betty, is consumed with ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the reason that An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" and does not live with her children.
2. Discuss Ying-Ying's mental state and some of its origins.
3. Why is Waverly disrespectful of her mother?
4. This parable is loaded with symbolism. Since the old woman paid a "foolish sum" for the swan, and then loses it, what might this symbolize?
5. Waverly Place Jong is named after the street she lives on in San Francisco. Discuss other instances where children are named after localities, ideas or unusual things.
6. The woman wishes for a daughter just like herself, but there are some caveats. Discuss the things she does not want for her daughter.
7. The Moon Lady says woman is the dark yin, and man is the bright truth of yang. How did this kind of thinking affect the characters in this book over their lifetimes?
8. Jing-Mei Woo's mother and Waverly Jong's mother compete through their daughters' failures and successes. Are the two women friends?
9. Jing-Mei Woo's mother has great expectations of her daughter. Why is she like this?
10. Discuss why the current members of the Joy Luck Club have invested their winnings in the stock market.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)