|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Mah Jong table, Suyuan Woo always sat _________________________-.
(a) Sideways on her chair
(b) Slumped in her chair
(c) Straight and rigid
(d) Facing the east
2. How did Lena learn that a new baby was coming?
(a) Her father shared the news with her
(b) Her mother sat down and explained it to her
(c) Her aunt and uncle told her
(d) A used crib showed up in her bedroom
3. The old woman's daughter swallowed this, more than sorrow.
(c) Green tea
4. The pregnant servant girl became convinced that she ____________________________.
(a) Was doomed to live in poverty
(b) Was in love with Tyan-yu
(c) Had caused Lindo's infertility
(d) Was of imperial ancestry
5. "Popo" is An-Mei's ________________________.
(b) Maternal grandmother
(c) Best friend
Short Answer Questions
1. The child finally decides to ______________________.
2. Lindo was forced to live with her future in-laws because ______________________________________.
3. Rose's mother admitted to God that _______________________.
4. Tyan-Yu was _____________________________.
5. Waverly's mother pretending to understand chess is ____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss why the woman has never told her daughter about the single feather she kept from the swan.
2. Why is An-Mei's family so miserable?
3. Why would Lindo begin to think of her cruel husband as a god?
4. What is the difference between the little girl's response to her mother's admonishment about riding the bicycle, and the response that one of these older women might have had to their mothers' warnings years ago?
5. How does it affect Jing-Mei to meet her long lost sisters in China?
6. Did Lena's mother knock the table over that shattered the vase in her bedroom?
7. Why does Lena have such a strange financial relationship with Harold?
8. June Woo started the American Joy Luck Club because she sensed the grief in the other Chinese people she met here. How does the club help June Woo deal with her own tragic memories?
9. Why did An-Mei's mother return to her sister's home where she was so unwanted and rejected? Was her mother the person An-Mei had thought she was?
10. In this chapter we learn the origin of Bing's name. What is it?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)