|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which kind of daughter did Jing-mei's mother want?
(a) Free spirited
2. The only father An-Mei knows is ___________________.
(a) The one in a large portrait
(b) Her mother's husband
(c) Her uncle
(d) Popo's husband
3. The old woman wants to use perfect English to explain ________________________________.
(a) Her sister's unfortunate situation
(b) Her predicament to customs
(c) Her reasons for leaving China
(d) The story of the swan to her daughter
4. What was Ying-Ying's unspoken wish?
(a) To be trusted
(b) To not be afraid
(c) To become old
(d) To be found
5. The child of this Chinese mother proves to be ______________________________.
(a) Slightly slow
(b) Happy and rambunctious
(c) Strong willed and disrespectful
(d) Happy to stay where t is safe
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ying-Ying feeling at the end of the Moon Lady play?
2. Waverly's mother says Waverly's success can be attributed to _______________.
3. Jing-mei, tired of being pushed by her mother, develops _______________________.
4. What did Jing Mei guess was the capital of Finland?
5. When Ying-Ying got dirty with turtle blood, Amah was afraid Ying-Ying's mother would _______________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that worries the women about Jing-Mei's visit to China?
2. Rose's mother, An-Mei Hsu, has raised quite a large family in America. What might have made her want so many children?
3. The soup An-Mei's mother made for her dying mother was the ultimate show of love for her mother. What does it symbolize?
4. What is the difference between the little girl's response to her mother's admonishment about riding the bicycle, and the response that one of these older women might have had to their mothers' warnings years ago?
5. Discuss why the current members of the Joy Luck Club have invested their winnings in the stock market.
6. An-Mei has an interesting way of storing her Bible. Discuss where the Bible is kept, and why.
7. What does Lindo's snuffing the candle out signify?
8. Why did An-Mei's mother return to her sister's home where she was so unwanted and rejected? Was her mother the person An-Mei had thought she was?
9. Since the little girl is too young to be told about them all, discuss what some of the twenty-six malignant gates might be.
10. Discuss the reason that An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" and does not live with her children.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)