|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lena's paranoia is increased by ___________________________________________.
(a) Sirens screaming up and down the hill
(b) The sound of fighting in surrounding apartments
(c) Someone on the fire escape
(d) The sounds of traffic and dogs outside
2. Lindo Jong is promised in marriage when she _________________________.
(a) Is two-years-old
(b) Is old enough to consent
(c) Is twelve-years-old
(d) Reaches adolescence
3. The only father An-Mei knows is ___________________.
(a) Her uncle
(b) Her mother's husband
(c) The one in a large portrait
(d) Popo's husband
4. An-Mei's mother shows up ___________________________.
(a) To reconcile with her children
(b) To help her mother in her illness
(c) To retrieve An-Mei and her brother
(d) To challenge An-Mei's aunt
5. The Hsu family had four sons and ______________________.
(a) Three daughters
(b) Four daughters
(c) Two daughters
(d) One daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. "Popo" is An-Mei's ________________________.
2. In her final attempt to find Bing, Rose's mother ___________________________________.
3. The old woman wants to use perfect English to explain ________________________________.
4. Jing Mei is afraid that if she does not find the prodigy in herself she will _________________________-.
5. How was Ying-Ying rescued from the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jing-Mei Woo's mother and Waverly Jong's mother compete through their daughters' failures and successes. Are the two women friends?
2. An-Mei has an interesting way of storing her Bible. Discuss where the Bible is kept, and why.
3. Discuss the unusual circumstances under which Lena lives.
4. Discuss why Lindo's clever scheme works on her mother-in-law.
5. What is the difference between the little girl's response to her mother's admonishment about riding the bicycle, and the response that one of these older women might have had to their mothers' warnings years ago?
6. What might Ying Ying have been planning to ask the Moon Lady for if she had not become lost?
7. Discuss Ying-Ying's mental state and some of its origins.
8. Waverly's unusual talent becomes a reason to pamper and spoil her. Does she appreciate this treatment? How does it affect her?
9. June Woo started the American Joy Luck Club because she sensed the grief in the other Chinese people she met here. How does the club help June Woo deal with her own tragic memories?
10. Discuss the reason that An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" and does not live with her children.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)