|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Hsu family had four sons and ______________________.
(a) Three daughters
(b) Four daughters
(c) One daughter
(d) Two daughters
2. Suyuan Woo's husband leaves her to __________________________.
(a) Get far from Kweilin
(b) Fight for the Chinese Army
(c) Make his way to Shanghai
(d) Defect to Japan
3. Tyan-Yu was _____________________________.
(a) Much like a brave Chinese warrior
(b) An overbearing brute of a husband
(c) Like a small child who never grew up
(d) A sex addict
4. Jing-mei's mother ______________________________.
(a) Got rid of the piano music
(b) Had the piano tuned
(c) Gave the piano back to Jing-Mei
(d) Sold the piano
5. Amah is Ying-Ying's ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What frightens Jing-mei the most is that _______________________________.
2. The old woman wants to use perfect English to explain ________________________________.
3. Popo says a girl who refused to listen to her elders ___________________________.
4. Lindo Jong is promised in marriage when she _________________________.
5. What young Jing-Mei senses is that she will soon _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did An-Mei's mother return to her sister's home where she was so unwanted and rejected? Was her mother the person An-Mei had thought she was?
2. Why would Lindo begin to think of her cruel husband as a god?
3. Discuss the unusual circumstances under which Lena lives.
4. Discuss why the woman has never told her daughter about the single feather she kept from the swan.
5. Discuss how it is that the Italian girl next door provides a sense of peace for Lena.
6. Discuss the "scar" reference. How did it happen and why?
7. Why is Waverly disrespectful of her mother?
8. Discuss why the current members of the Joy Luck Club have invested their winnings in the stock market.
9. What triggers Ying-Ying's early memory of her traumatic fall from the family boat?
10. What is the root problem in Rose's marriage?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)