|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lena's eating problem manifest itself?
(a) She became anorexic
(b) Her mother's sack lunches made her sick
(c) Her skin broke out like leprosy
(d) Her hatred consumed her
2. Waverly chooses the best crab on the platter for _______________________.
(a) Her fiance, Rich
(b) Her daugher, Shoshanna
(d) June Woo
3. An-Mei's mother was not always a fourth wife, but was once a _______________________.
(a) First wife of a poor servant
(b) Model in Tientsin
(c) Second wife of a villager
(d) First wife of a scholar
4. At lunch together, Waverly's mother _____________________________________.
(a) Criticizes Waverly's choice of friends
(b) Is nervous and skittery
(c) Criticizes everything about the restaurant and food
(d) Is concerned about her heart
5. Rose being "without wood" symbolizes ________________________.
(a) Her lack of a home
(c) Her lack of furniture
(d) Her weak nature
6. An-Mei's mother told her a story of a tear-eating __________________.
(a) Little pond
(c) Bird of joy
7. Why did Lena feel she caused Arnold's death?
(a) Because she wounded him emotionally
(b) She intended for him to die
(c) She compared him to lepers
(d) She ate all of her rice
8. The grandmother imagines the baby in this parable to be ________________________.
(a) Empress of China
(b) Syi Wang Mu
(c) Buddah's granddaughter
(d) Hwai dungsyi
9. Waverly gives up chess for good because she ________________________________-.
(a) No longer believes she has a gift
(b) Begins to lose tournaments
(c) Is tired of dealing with her mother
(d) Lost track of her strategy
10. An-Mei's mother makes life in Tientsin sound __________________________________.
(a) Abundant and exciting
(b) Frightening and mysterious
(c) A dangerous tourist town
(d) A city filled with foreigners
11. Rich Schields makes several mistakes at dinner, the worst being ___________________________________.
(a) He accidentally insults Lindo's cooking
(b) He drinks too much wine
(c) He brings wine to people who do not own wineglasses
(d) He spills food
12. The characters in this parable are ______________________________.
(a) Not yet known to the reader
(b) Rose and her mother
(c) June Woo and her mother
(d) Waverly and her mother
13. During the war, it was not well-known that the Japanese entered ________________________.
14. The sisters in China were told their mother was dead by __________________.
(a) A telegram from Jing-Mei's father
(b) A letter from Auntie Lindo
(c) A phone call from Auntie An-Mei
15. Rose finds the imagery of Ted doing monkey business __________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
2. Three days of sleeping may have given Rose _________________.
3. Ted makes the assumption that ______________________-.
4. Clifford St. Clair's gifts to Ying-Ying were ___________________________.
5. Jing-Mei Woo travels to China with ____________________-.
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)