|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ying-Ying feels that aborting her baby was ______________________.
(a) An immature act
(b) A mortal sin
(c) A weak moment
(d) An act of strength
2. This daughter is tired of her mother's habit of ______________________________.
(a) Trying to fix everything
(b) Seeing bad omens in everything
(c) Warning her about her marriage
(d) Projecting her negativity outward
3. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
(a) The Cantonese dialect
(d) The Mandarin dialect
4. What is the supposed effect of a mirror at the foot of the bed?
(a) The mirror will reflect the wrong way
(b) It is bad luck to be able to see your partner while in bed
(c) Things in the marriage will turn backward
(d) Marriage happiness will bounce back
5. What the daughter sees in the mirror is _____________________.
(a) Her future granchild's face
(b) Her mother's face
(c) Her mother's face and her own
(d) Her own face
6. Jing-mei's job is that of a _____________________.
(d) Tax attorney
7. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
(a) He was cruel to her
(b) He wanted to be her husband
(c) He frightened her
(d) He was the cause of her eating problem
8. Rose being "without wood" symbolizes ________________________.
(a) Her weak nature
(b) Her lack of a home
(d) Her lack of furniture
9. Why will a second mirror help the daughter?
(a) Another mirror will scare away bad energy
(b) Bad omens dissolve between the two
(c) The two mirrors will multiply luck
(d) Two mirrors balance the emotions
10. Rose Hu's confession that her marriage is ending prompts An-Mei to __________________________________-.
(a) Relive the memories of her childhood
(b) Beg Rose to not lose hope
(c) Compare her to her aunt
(d) Become depressed, as she was in childhood
11. Suyuan Woo compares Waverly to a crab, saying she _________________________________________.
(a) Her claws are sharp but slow, like the crab
(b) She is missing something, like the crab's leg
(c) Is always moving sideways and crooked
(d) She is without feelings, like the crab
12. Canning Woo's nickname, Syau Yen, means __________________.
(a) Little ghost
(b) Happy boy
(c) Small fox
(d) Little Wild Goose
13. Ted makes the assumption that ______________________-.
(a) He will get the house
(b) Rose wants the divorce
(c) He will have to pay alimony
(d) Rose will be disagreeable
14. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
(a) Her tiger nature will enter her daughter
(b) Her mistakes will all be forgiven
(c) Her pain will will meld and become one with her daughter's
(d) She will atone for her daughter's sins
15. The grandmother admits that she ______________________________-.
(a) Taught her daughter to shed her innocence
(b) Taught her daughter to be suspicious
(c) Taught her daughter to be free
(d) Knows she will live forever
Short Answer Questions
1. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
2. An-Mei's mother told her a story of a tear-eating __________________.
3. Rich's reaction to his unintended insults toward Lindo was _________________________________________.
4. Lindo is disappointed that she could not __________________________________.
5. Clifford St. Clair's gifts to Ying-Ying were ___________________________.
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)