|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lena's eating problem manifest itself?
(a) Her skin broke out like leprosy
(b) Her hatred consumed her
(c) She became anorexic
(d) Her mother's sack lunches made her sick
2. Canning Woo's nickname, Syau Yen, means __________________.
(a) Little ghost
(b) Happy boy
(c) Little Wild Goose
(d) Small fox
3. Suyuan Woo compares Waverly to a crab, saying she _________________________________________.
(a) She is without feelings, like the crab
(b) She is missing something, like the crab's leg
(c) Is always moving sideways and crooked
(d) Her claws are sharp but slow, like the crab
4. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
(a) The Cantonese dialect
(b) The Mandarin dialect
5. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
(a) Have stronger self-esteem
(b) Find a good relationship
(c) Be a good daughter
(d) Understand her life's importance
6. For dinner, Jing-mei and Canning share with his relatives ____________________________.
(a) Peking duck and noodles
(b) Chicken wrapped in clay
(c) Hamburgers, fries and apple pie
(d) Soup in a carved melon
7. Lena and Harold are both _________________.
(d) Building designers
8. An-Mei's brother cannot come with their mother because _______________________________.
(a) He would lose any hope for a future
(b) Boys must stay home to care for their aunts
(c) She has not invited him to follow her
(d) His aunt and uncle forbid it
9. Rich Schields makes several mistakes at dinner, the worst being ___________________________________.
(a) He accidentally insults Lindo's cooking
(b) He brings wine to people who do not own wineglasses
(c) He drinks too much wine
(d) He spills food
10. Ying-Ying's name means _____________________.
(a) Timid Bird
(b) Flying Tiger
(c) Clear Reflection
(d) Quiet Spirit
11. The pastor, Wing, was a __________________________-.
(a) Childhood friend of Rose's brother
(b) A convicted criminal
(c) A longtime friend of Rose's mother
(d) A childhood friend of Ted's
12. An-Mei's mother makes life in Tientsin sound __________________________________.
(a) Abundant and exciting
(b) Frightening and mysterious
(c) A dangerous tourist town
(d) A city filled with foreigners
13. Clifford St. Clair's gifts to Ying-Ying were ___________________________.
(a) Bought from local merchants
(b) A reflection of his personality
(c) Ridiculous and tawdry
(d) Cheap compared to the wealth to which she is accustomed
14. Lindo's oldest son, Winston, ___________________________.
(a) Died in a car accident at sixteen
(b) Went to college and became a doctor
(c) Went away to school
(d) Is a Chinese Baptist
15. Waverly chooses the best crab on the platter for _______________________.
(a) June Woo
(b) Her daugher, Shoshanna
(d) Her fiance, Rich
Short Answer Questions
1. The grandmother admits that she ______________________________-.
2. The grandmother wonders aloud whether ____________________________________________.
3. An-Mei's mother told her a story of a tear-eating __________________.
4. Why did Lena feel she caused Arnold's death?
5. Jing-mei's job is that of a _____________________.
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)