|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An-Mei's mother makes life in Tientsin sound __________________________________.
(a) A city filled with foreigners
(b) A dangerous tourist town
(c) Abundant and exciting
(d) Frightening and mysterious
2. What the daughter sees in the mirror is _____________________.
(a) Her mother's face
(b) Her mother's face and her own
(c) Her own face
(d) Her future granchild's face
3. Three days of sleeping may have given Rose _________________.
(a) A new strength
(b) A break from work
(c) A deeper sense of confusion
(d) New nightmares about Ted
4. An-Mei finds that in Tientsin, she has a __________________.
(a) New mother
(b) New husband
5. Waverly has an ignorant fear of Jing-mei's hairdresser _______________________________.
(a) Because he is gay
(b) Because he works on Howard Street
(c) Because he is reckless
(d) Because she fears for her daughter
6. Ying-Ying feels that her daughter's home _________________________.
(a) Is cold and unfriendly
(b) Is boring and dull
(c) Is too fancy
(d) Has no life in it
7. Waverly gives up chess for good because she ________________________________-.
(a) No longer believes she has a gift
(b) Is tired of dealing with her mother
(c) Lost track of her strategy
(d) Begins to lose tournaments
8. The sisters in China were told their mother was dead by __________________.
(a) A telegram from Jing-Mei's father
(c) A letter from Auntie Lindo
(d) A phone call from Auntie An-Mei
9. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
(a) Her pain will will meld and become one with her daughter's
(b) Her tiger nature will enter her daughter
(c) She will atone for her daughter's sins
(d) Her mistakes will all be forgiven
10. An-Mei's mother told her a story of a tear-eating __________________.
(a) Little pond
(b) Bird of joy
11. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
(a) He frightened her
(b) He was the cause of her eating problem
(c) He was cruel to her
(d) He wanted to be her husband
12. During the war, it was not well-known that the Japanese entered ________________________.
13. Lena and Harold are both _________________.
(d) Building designers
14. The characters in this parable are ______________________________.
(a) Not yet known to the reader
(b) Rose and her mother
(c) Waverly and her mother
(d) June Woo and her mother
15. The grandmother asks the baby to teach her mother how to lose innocence, without losing hope, and _________________________-.
(a) How to be a good mother
(b) How to forgive everyone
(c) How to be Queen of the Western Skis
(d) How to laugh forever
Short Answer Questions
1. Rich Schields makes several mistakes at dinner, the worst being ___________________________________.
2. For dinner, Jing-mei and Canning share with his relatives ____________________________.
3. Suyuan Woo compares Waverly to a crab, saying she _________________________________________.
4. During an epidemic in Shanghai, Ying-Ying worked in ____________________.
5. Lindo's oldest son, Winston, ___________________________.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)