|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rose Hu's confession that her marriage is ending prompts An-Mei to __________________________________-.
(a) Compare her to her aunt
(b) Beg Rose to not lose hope
(c) Become depressed, as she was in childhood
(d) Relive the memories of her childhood
2. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
(a) He frightened her
(b) He wanted to be her husband
(c) He was the cause of her eating problem
(d) He was cruel to her
3. Lena and Harold are both _________________.
(d) Building designers
4. Waverly had to become ill before her mother would _____________________________-.
(a) Encourage her to play
(b) Forbid her to play
(c) Speak to her again
(d) Feed her again
5. The grandmother imagines the baby in this parable to be ________________________.
(a) Hwai dungsyi
(b) Empress of China
(c) Buddah's granddaughter
(d) Syi Wang Mu
6. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
(a) Her tiger nature will enter her daughter
(b) Her pain will will meld and become one with her daughter's
(c) Her mistakes will all be forgiven
(d) She will atone for her daughter's sins
7. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
(b) The Cantonese dialect
(d) The Mandarin dialect
8. The sisters in China were told their mother was dead by __________________.
(b) A letter from Auntie Lindo
(c) A telegram from Jing-Mei's father
(d) A phone call from Auntie An-Mei
9. Rich Schields makes several mistakes at dinner, the worst being ___________________________________.
(a) He drinks too much wine
(b) He spills food
(c) He brings wine to people who do not own wineglasses
(d) He accidentally insults Lindo's cooking
10. Suyuan Woo compares Waverly to a crab, saying she _________________________________________.
(a) Is always moving sideways and crooked
(b) Her claws are sharp but slow, like the crab
(c) She is without feelings, like the crab
(d) She is missing something, like the crab's leg
11. In the mirror, the mother sees ______________________________.
(a) A new armoire
(b) Her future grandchild's face
(c) Her future grandchild on her lap
(d) Her daughter and husband happy
12. The grandmother wonders aloud whether ____________________________________________.
(a) The baby is laughing at her or with her
(b) She is truly innocent or holds many secrets inside
(c) The baby has come from a royal place with Buddha
(d) She sees negative things in others because she has them herself
13. The grandmother asks the baby to teach her mother how to lose innocence, without losing hope, and _________________________-.
(a) How to forgive everyone
(b) How to laugh forever
(c) How to be a good mother
(d) How to be Queen of the Western Skis
14. Why did Lena feel she caused Arnold's death?
(a) She intended for him to die
(b) She ate all of her rice
(c) She compared him to lepers
(d) Because she wounded him emotionally
15. An-Mei's brother cannot come with their mother because _______________________________.
(a) His aunt and uncle forbid it
(b) Boys must stay home to care for their aunts
(c) She has not invited him to follow her
(d) He would lose any hope for a future
Short Answer Questions
1. Ted makes the assumption that ______________________-.
2. Old Mr. Chou is ___________________________________.
3. Ying-Ying's name means _____________________.
4. During an epidemic in Shanghai, Ying-Ying worked in ____________________.
5. An-Mei's mother makes life in Tientsin sound __________________________________.
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)