|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why will a second mirror help the daughter?
(a) Two mirrors balance the emotions
(b) Another mirror will scare away bad energy
(c) Bad omens dissolve between the two
(d) The two mirrors will multiply luck
2. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
(b) The Mandarin dialect
(d) The Cantonese dialect
3. Waverly had to become ill before her mother would _____________________________-.
(a) Encourage her to play
(b) Feed her again
(c) Forbid her to play
(d) Speak to her again
4. Old Mr. Chou is ___________________________________.
(a) A fantasy figure from the world of sleep
(b) A neighbor who tends Rose's garden
(c) A Chinese fortune teller
(d) An old friend of An-Mei's
5. Ying-Ying's name means _____________________.
(a) Flying Tiger
(b) Clear Reflection
(c) Quiet Spirit
(d) Timid Bird
6. The grandmother admits that she ______________________________-.
(a) Taught her daughter to be free
(b) Knows she will live forever
(c) Taught her daughter to be suspicious
(d) Taught her daughter to shed her innocence
7. How did Lena's eating problem manifest itself?
(a) Her mother's sack lunches made her sick
(b) Her hatred consumed her
(c) She became anorexic
(d) Her skin broke out like leprosy
8. Lindo disapproves of Waverly's mink because ___________________________.
(a) She feels it is too cheap
(b) She thinks it is too extravagant
(c) She does not believe in animal furs
(d) The individual hairs are uneven
9. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
(a) He frightened her
(b) He was the cause of her eating problem
(c) He was cruel to her
(d) He wanted to be her husband
10. Lindo's mother told her as a child that _________________________________.
(a) She would follow her nose to good luck
(b) She would marry well
(c) She would later learn to worry and lose her hair
(d) She would grow up to be unfortunate
11. Lena is certain her mother is able to _________________________.
(a) See the future
(b) Read tea leaves
(c) Figure things out
(d) See all the bad things around her
12. Rich's reaction to his unintended insults toward Lindo was _________________________________________.
(a) He thinks they do not like him
(b) He admitted his bleak failure
(c) He was loyal to Waverly
(d) He never realized he had done anything wrong
13. Ted makes the assumption that ______________________-.
(a) He will get the house
(b) He will have to pay alimony
(c) Rose will be disagreeable
(d) Rose wants the divorce
14. The pastor, Wing, was a __________________________-.
(a) A convicted criminal
(b) A longtime friend of Rose's mother
(c) A childhood friend of Ted's
(d) Childhood friend of Rose's brother
15. Waverly has an ignorant fear of Jing-mei's hairdresser _______________________________.
(a) Because he works on Howard Street
(b) Because he is reckless
(c) Because he is gay
(d) Because she fears for her daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the jade pendant symbolize?
2. An-Mei's brother cannot come with their mother because _______________________________.
3. During the war, it was not well-known that the Japanese entered ________________________.
4. At lunch together, Waverly's mother _____________________________________.
5. Ying-Ying feels that aborting her baby was ______________________.
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)