|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the jade pendant symbolize?
(b) Three pears
(d) We do not know
2. Canning Woo's nickname, Syau Yen, means __________________.
(a) Little ghost
(b) Little Wild Goose
(c) Happy boy
(d) Small fox
3. Ying-Ying feels that aborting her baby was ______________________.
(a) An immature act
(b) A mortal sin
(c) A weak moment
(d) An act of strength
4. The sisters in China were told their mother was dead by __________________.
(a) A phone call from Auntie An-Mei
(c) A telegram from Jing-Mei's father
(d) A letter from Auntie Lindo
5. The pastor, Wing, was a __________________________-.
(a) A childhood friend of Ted's
(b) A longtime friend of Rose's mother
(c) Childhood friend of Rose's brother
(d) A convicted criminal
6. The mother has purchased a new mirror at _______________________.
(a) Dollar Store
(b) Twice Used Store
(d) The Price Club
7. Lena is certain her mother is able to _________________________.
(a) See all the bad things around her
(b) Read tea leaves
(c) See the future
(d) Figure things out
8. Waverly gives up chess for good because she ________________________________-.
(a) Begins to lose tournaments
(b) Lost track of her strategy
(c) No longer believes she has a gift
(d) Is tired of dealing with her mother
9. What the daughter sees in the mirror is _____________________.
(a) Her mother's face and her own
(b) Her mother's face
(c) Her own face
(d) Her future granchild's face
10. Jing-mei's job is that of a _____________________.
(a) Tax attorney
11. In the mirror, the mother sees ______________________________.
(a) Her daughter and husband happy
(b) A new armoire
(c) Her future grandchild's face
(d) Her future grandchild on her lap
12. The grandmother asks the baby to teach her mother how to lose innocence, without losing hope, and _________________________-.
(a) How to be Queen of the Western Skis
(b) How to be a good mother
(c) How to forgive everyone
(d) How to laugh forever
13. Lindo's oldest son, Winston, ___________________________.
(a) Went away to school
(b) Died in a car accident at sixteen
(c) Is a Chinese Baptist
(d) Went to college and became a doctor
14. Suyuan Woo compares Waverly to a crab, saying she _________________________________________.
(a) Is always moving sideways and crooked
(b) She is without feelings, like the crab
(c) Her claws are sharp but slow, like the crab
(d) She is missing something, like the crab's leg
15. Rose finds the imagery of Ted doing monkey business __________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clifford St. Clair's gifts to Ying-Ying were ___________________________.
2. Jing-Mei Woo travels to China with ____________________-.
3. Ying-Ying's name means _____________________.
4. The grandmother admits that she ______________________________-.
5. In Peking, Lindo paid a Chinese girl to ____________________________.
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)