|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Waverly had to become ill before her mother would _____________________________-.
(a) Feed her again
(b) Speak to her again
(c) Forbid her to play
(d) Encourage her to play
2. Lindo's oldest son, Winston, ___________________________.
(a) Died in a car accident at sixteen
(b) Went to college and became a doctor
(c) Went away to school
(d) Is a Chinese Baptist
3. Lindo is disappointed that she could not __________________________________.
(a) Teach her daughter how to better speak Chinese
(b) Instill Chinese character in her daughter
(c) Get her daughter to give up American ways
(d) Teach her daughter to do things the easy way
4. Clifford St. Clair's gifts to Ying-Ying were ___________________________.
(a) Ridiculous and tawdry
(b) A reflection of his personality
(c) Bought from local merchants
(d) Cheap compared to the wealth to which she is accustomed
5. What is the supposed effect of a mirror at the foot of the bed?
(a) Things in the marriage will turn backward
(b) Marriage happiness will bounce back
(c) The mirror will reflect the wrong way
(d) It is bad luck to be able to see your partner while in bed
6. Three days of sleeping may have given Rose _________________.
(a) A break from work
(b) New nightmares about Ted
(c) A deeper sense of confusion
(d) A new strength
7. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
(a) Have stronger self-esteem
(b) Understand her life's importance
(c) Find a good relationship
(d) Be a good daughter
8. An-Mei finds that in Tientsin, she has a __________________.
(a) New husband
(b) New mother
9. The grandmother wonders if the child is laughing because __________________________________.
(a) She is seeing her grandmother's suspicious nose
(b) Buddha is teaching her to laugh for no reason
(c) She knows her grandmother has become evil
(d) She knows more about the world than most
10. An-Mei's mother was not always a fourth wife, but was once a _______________________.
(a) Model in Tientsin
(b) Second wife of a villager
(c) First wife of a poor servant
(d) First wife of a scholar
11. The grandmother admits that she ______________________________-.
(a) Taught her daughter to be suspicious
(b) Taught her daughter to be free
(c) Knows she will live forever
(d) Taught her daughter to shed her innocence
12. An-Mei's mother told her a story of a tear-eating __________________.
(a) Little pond
(c) Bird of joy
13. Lindo's mother told her as a child that _________________________________.
(a) She would follow her nose to good luck
(b) She would grow up to be unfortunate
(c) She would marry well
(d) She would later learn to worry and lose her hair
14. Lena and Harold are both _________________.
(d) Building designers
15. An-Mei's brother cannot come with their mother because _______________________________.
(a) His aunt and uncle forbid it
(b) She has not invited him to follow her
(c) Boys must stay home to care for their aunts
(d) He would lose any hope for a future
Short Answer Questions
1. Waverly chooses the best crab on the platter for _______________________.
2. The grandmother asks the baby to teach her mother how to lose innocence, without losing hope, and _________________________-.
3. The characters in this parable are ______________________________.
4. In Peking, Lindo paid a Chinese girl to ____________________________.
5. Ying-Ying's name means _____________________.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)