|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why will a second mirror help the daughter?
(a) The two mirrors will multiply luck
(b) Another mirror will scare away bad energy
(c) Bad omens dissolve between the two
(d) Two mirrors balance the emotions
2. Lindo is ashamed that Waverly _________________________.
(a) Thinks she needs to have her hair done
(b) Looks so much like her
(c) Is not proud of her
(d) Does not like her purple tinted hair
3. In Peking, Lindo paid a Chinese girl to ____________________________.
(a) Teach her Chinese embroidery
(b) Show her how to be an American
(c) Show her how to be a better Chinese wife
(d) Teach her how to be a mother
4. Lindo is disappointed that she could not __________________________________.
(a) Instill Chinese character in her daughter
(b) Teach her daughter how to better speak Chinese
(c) Get her daughter to give up American ways
(d) Teach her daughter to do things the easy way
5. What is the supposed effect of a mirror at the foot of the bed?
(a) Things in the marriage will turn backward
(b) Marriage happiness will bounce back
(c) It is bad luck to be able to see your partner while in bed
(d) The mirror will reflect the wrong way
6. An-Mei's brother cannot come with their mother because _______________________________.
(a) Boys must stay home to care for their aunts
(b) She has not invited him to follow her
(c) His aunt and uncle forbid it
(d) He would lose any hope for a future
7. Why did Lena feel she caused Arnold's death?
(a) Because she wounded him emotionally
(b) She ate all of her rice
(c) She compared him to lepers
(d) She intended for him to die
8. Jing-mei's job is that of a _____________________.
(b) Tax attorney
9. Lindo's oldest son, Winston, ___________________________.
(a) Went to college and became a doctor
(b) Died in a car accident at sixteen
(c) Is a Chinese Baptist
(d) Went away to school
10. Jing-Mei Woo travels to China with ____________________-.
(a) Her sisters
(b) Her father
(c) Her children
(d) Her aunties
11. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
(a) He frightened her
(b) He was the cause of her eating problem
(c) He wanted to be her husband
(d) He was cruel to her
12. Ying-Ying's name means _____________________.
(a) Flying Tiger
(b) Timid Bird
(c) Clear Reflection
(d) Quiet Spirit
13. The characters in this parable are ______________________________.
(a) June Woo and her mother
(b) Rose and her mother
(c) Waverly and her mother
(d) Not yet known to the reader
14. What the daughter sees in the mirror is _____________________.
(a) Her own face
(b) Her future granchild's face
(c) Her mother's face
(d) Her mother's face and her own
15. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
(a) Have stronger self-esteem
(b) Be a good daughter
(c) Understand her life's importance
(d) Find a good relationship
Short Answer Questions
1. Ying-Ying feels that her daughter's home _________________________.
2. How did Lena's eating problem manifest itself?
3. Ted makes the assumption that ______________________-.
4. Lena and Harold are both _________________.
5. In the mirror, the mother sees ______________________________.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)