Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The grandmother admits that she ______________________________-.
(a) Taught her daughter to shed her innocence
(b) Taught her daughter to be free
(c) Knows she will live forever
(d) Taught her daughter to be suspicious
2. Lindo is disappointed that she could not __________________________________.
(a) Teach her daughter how to better speak Chinese
(b) Teach her daughter to do things the easy way
(c) Get her daughter to give up American ways
(d) Instill Chinese character in her daughter
3. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
(a) Her pain will will meld and become one with her daughter's
(b) Her mistakes will all be forgiven
(c) She will atone for her daughter's sins
(d) Her tiger nature will enter her daughter
4. An-Mei's mother was not always a fourth wife, but was once a _______________________.
(a) Model in Tientsin
(b) First wife of a poor servant
(c) First wife of a scholar
(d) Second wife of a villager
5. Old Mr. Chou is ___________________________________.
(a) A neighbor who tends Rose's garden
(b) A Chinese fortune teller
(c) A fantasy figure from the world of sleep
(d) An old friend of An-Mei's
6. For dinner, Jing-mei and Canning share with his relatives ____________________________.
(a) Hamburgers, fries and apple pie
(b) Peking duck and noodles
(c) Soup in a carved melon
(d) Chicken wrapped in clay
7. Ying-Ying feels that her daughter's home _________________________.
(a) Is boring and dull
(b) Has no life in it
(c) Is cold and unfriendly
(d) Is too fancy
8. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
(c) The Mandarin dialect
(d) The Cantonese dialect
9. Three days of sleeping may have given Rose _________________.
(a) A deeper sense of confusion
(b) New nightmares about Ted
(c) A break from work
(d) A new strength
10. An-Mei's brother cannot come with their mother because _______________________________.
(a) She has not invited him to follow her
(b) Boys must stay home to care for their aunts
(c) His aunt and uncle forbid it
(d) He would lose any hope for a future
11. Clifford St. Clair's gifts to Ying-Ying were ___________________________.
(a) Cheap compared to the wealth to which she is accustomed
(b) A reflection of his personality
(c) Ridiculous and tawdry
(d) Bought from local merchants
12. Ted makes the assumption that ______________________-.
(a) Rose will be disagreeable
(b) He will get the house
(c) Rose wants the divorce
(d) He will have to pay alimony
13. At lunch together, Waverly's mother _____________________________________.
(a) Criticizes everything about the restaurant and food
(b) Criticizes Waverly's choice of friends
(c) Is concerned about her heart
(d) Is nervous and skittery
14. Lena and Harold are both _________________.
(b) Building designers
15. The sisters in China were told their mother was dead by __________________.
(b) A telegram from Jing-Mei's father
(c) A phone call from Auntie An-Mei
(d) A letter from Auntie Lindo
Short Answer Questions
1. Lindo's oldest son, Winston, ___________________________.
2. Rose Hu's confession that her marriage is ending prompts An-Mei to __________________________________-.
3. In Peking, Lindo paid a Chinese girl to ____________________________.
4. An-Mei finds that in Tientsin, she has a __________________.
5. The pastor, Wing, was a __________________________-.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)