|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lindo's mother told her as a child that _________________________________.
(a) She would later learn to worry and lose her hair
(b) She would grow up to be unfortunate
(c) She would follow her nose to good luck
(d) She would marry well
2. Lindo's oldest son, Winston, ___________________________.
(a) Went to college and became a doctor
(b) Died in a car accident at sixteen
(c) Is a Chinese Baptist
(d) Went away to school
3. Waverly chooses the best crab on the platter for _______________________.
(a) Her fiance, Rich
(b) June Woo
(d) Her daugher, Shoshanna
4. Ying-Ying's name means _____________________.
(a) Quiet Spirit
(b) Clear Reflection
(c) Flying Tiger
(d) Timid Bird
5. Jing-Mei Woo travels to China with ____________________-.
(a) Her aunties
(b) Her father
(c) Her sisters
(d) Her children
6. Clifford St. Clair's gifts to Ying-Ying were ___________________________.
(a) A reflection of his personality
(b) Ridiculous and tawdry
(c) Cheap compared to the wealth to which she is accustomed
(d) Bought from local merchants
7. What is the supposed effect of a mirror at the foot of the bed?
(a) It is bad luck to be able to see your partner while in bed
(b) Things in the marriage will turn backward
(c) The mirror will reflect the wrong way
(d) Marriage happiness will bounce back
8. For dinner, Jing-mei and Canning share with his relatives ____________________________.
(a) Chicken wrapped in clay
(b) Soup in a carved melon
(c) Peking duck and noodles
(d) Hamburgers, fries and apple pie
9. Three days of sleeping may have given Rose _________________.
(a) A break from work
(b) A deeper sense of confusion
(c) A new strength
(d) New nightmares about Ted
10. What the daughter sees in the mirror is _____________________.
(a) Her own face
(b) Her future granchild's face
(c) Her mother's face and her own
(d) Her mother's face
11. Lindo is disappointed that she could not __________________________________.
(a) Teach her daughter how to better speak Chinese
(b) Get her daughter to give up American ways
(c) Instill Chinese character in her daughter
(d) Teach her daughter to do things the easy way
12. An-Mei's mother makes life in Tientsin sound __________________________________.
(a) A city filled with foreigners
(b) A dangerous tourist town
(c) Abundant and exciting
(d) Frightening and mysterious
13. Lindo knows that Chinese people will know that her daughter ___________________.
(a) Is a good wife
(b) Is well-to-do
(c) Is not Chinese
(d) Is highly educated
14. An-Mei's mother was not always a fourth wife, but was once a _______________________.
(a) First wife of a poor servant
(b) First wife of a scholar
(c) Second wife of a villager
(d) Model in Tientsin
15. Lindo is ashamed that Waverly _________________________.
(a) Looks so much like her
(b) Thinks she needs to have her hair done
(c) Does not like her purple tinted hair
(d) Is not proud of her
Short Answer Questions
1. The grandmother asks the baby to teach her mother how to lose innocence, without losing hope, and _________________________-.
2. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
3. The mother has purchased a new mirror at _______________________.
4. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
5. The vase that breaks in the bedroom symbolizes _____________________________.
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)