|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
(a) Understand her life's importance
(b) Have stronger self-esteem
(c) Be a good daughter
(d) Find a good relationship
2. What is the supposed effect of a mirror at the foot of the bed?
(a) Things in the marriage will turn backward
(b) The mirror will reflect the wrong way
(c) It is bad luck to be able to see your partner while in bed
(d) Marriage happiness will bounce back
3. Ying-Ying feels that aborting her baby was ______________________.
(a) A mortal sin
(b) An act of strength
(c) A weak moment
(d) An immature act
4. Waverly chooses the best crab on the platter for _______________________.
(b) June Woo
(c) Her fiance, Rich
(d) Her daugher, Shoshanna
5. The grandmother asks the baby to teach her mother how to lose innocence, without losing hope, and _________________________-.
(a) How to be a good mother
(b) How to forgive everyone
(c) How to be Queen of the Western Skis
(d) How to laugh forever
6. How did Lena's eating problem manifest itself?
(a) Her hatred consumed her
(b) Her mother's sack lunches made her sick
(c) She became anorexic
(d) Her skin broke out like leprosy
7. Lindo's mother told her as a child that _________________________________.
(a) She would grow up to be unfortunate
(b) She would marry well
(c) She would later learn to worry and lose her hair
(d) She would follow her nose to good luck
8. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
(a) He was cruel to her
(b) He wanted to be her husband
(c) He was the cause of her eating problem
(d) He frightened her
9. The vase that breaks in the bedroom symbolizes _____________________________.
(a) Harold's insensitivity
(b) Lena and Harold's marriage
(c) Lena's mother's prophecy
(d) The separation of two halves
10. Suyuan Woo compares Waverly to a crab, saying she _________________________________________.
(a) Her claws are sharp but slow, like the crab
(b) She is missing something, like the crab's leg
(c) She is without feelings, like the crab
(d) Is always moving sideways and crooked
11. The grandmother wonders if the child is laughing because __________________________________.
(a) She knows her grandmother has become evil
(b) She knows more about the world than most
(c) She is seeing her grandmother's suspicious nose
(d) Buddha is teaching her to laugh for no reason
12. Clifford St. Clair's gifts to Ying-Ying were ___________________________.
(a) Ridiculous and tawdry
(b) Bought from local merchants
(c) A reflection of his personality
(d) Cheap compared to the wealth to which she is accustomed
13. An-Mei's mother told her a story of a tear-eating __________________.
(b) Bird of joy
(d) Little pond
14. Old Mr. Chou is ___________________________________.
(a) A fantasy figure from the world of sleep
(b) An old friend of An-Mei's
(c) A Chinese fortune teller
(d) A neighbor who tends Rose's garden
15. What does the jade pendant symbolize?
(a) We do not know
(d) Three pears
Short Answer Questions
1. Canning Woo's nickname, Syau Yen, means __________________.
2. Rich's reaction to his unintended insults toward Lindo was _________________________________________.
3. Lindo's oldest son, Winston, ___________________________.
4. The pastor, Wing, was a __________________________-.
5. Rich Schields makes several mistakes at dinner, the worst being ___________________________________.
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)