|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
(a) The Mandarin dialect
(b) The Cantonese dialect
2. The grandmother wonders if the child is laughing because __________________________________.
(a) She is seeing her grandmother's suspicious nose
(b) She knows more about the world than most
(c) Buddha is teaching her to laugh for no reason
(d) She knows her grandmother has become evil
3. Lindo is disappointed that she could not __________________________________.
(a) Instill Chinese character in her daughter
(b) Teach her daughter to do things the easy way
(c) Teach her daughter how to better speak Chinese
(d) Get her daughter to give up American ways
4. An-Mei's mother told her a story of a tear-eating __________________.
(a) Bird of joy
(b) Little pond
5. An-Mei's mother makes life in Tientsin sound __________________________________.
(a) A city filled with foreigners
(b) A dangerous tourist town
(c) Frightening and mysterious
(d) Abundant and exciting
6. Old Mr. Chou is ___________________________________.
(a) An old friend of An-Mei's
(b) A fantasy figure from the world of sleep
(c) A neighbor who tends Rose's garden
(d) A Chinese fortune teller
7. During the war, it was not well-known that the Japanese entered ________________________.
8. Ying-Ying feels that her daughter's home _________________________.
(a) Is too fancy
(b) Has no life in it
(c) Is cold and unfriendly
(d) Is boring and dull
9. Lindo knows that Chinese people will know that her daughter ___________________.
(a) Is a good wife
(b) Is highly educated
(c) Is not Chinese
(d) Is well-to-do
10. Lena and Harold are both _________________.
(d) Building designers
11. At lunch together, Waverly's mother _____________________________________.
(a) Criticizes Waverly's choice of friends
(b) Is concerned about her heart
(c) Criticizes everything about the restaurant and food
(d) Is nervous and skittery
12. The pastor, Wing, was a __________________________-.
(a) A childhood friend of Ted's
(b) A convicted criminal
(c) A longtime friend of Rose's mother
(d) Childhood friend of Rose's brother
13. This daughter is tired of her mother's habit of ______________________________.
(a) Projecting her negativity outward
(b) Warning her about her marriage
(c) Trying to fix everything
(d) Seeing bad omens in everything
14. Why will a second mirror help the daughter?
(a) The two mirrors will multiply luck
(b) Two mirrors balance the emotions
(c) Another mirror will scare away bad energy
(d) Bad omens dissolve between the two
15. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
(a) Find a good relationship
(b) Be a good daughter
(c) Understand her life's importance
(d) Have stronger self-esteem
Short Answer Questions
1. Ying-Ying feels that aborting her baby was ______________________.
2. Lindo's oldest son, Winston, ___________________________.
3. During an epidemic in Shanghai, Ying-Ying worked in ____________________.
4. How did Lena's eating problem manifest itself?
5. Lindo's mother told her as a child that _________________________________.
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)