|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lindo's mother told her as a child that _________________________________.
(a) She would follow her nose to good luck
(b) She would marry well
(c) She would later learn to worry and lose her hair
(d) She would grow up to be unfortunate
2. Lindo is ashamed that Waverly _________________________.
(a) Thinks she needs to have her hair done
(b) Does not like her purple tinted hair
(c) Is not proud of her
(d) Looks so much like her
3. Lena is certain her mother is able to _________________________.
(a) See the future
(b) See all the bad things around her
(c) Read tea leaves
(d) Figure things out
4. Rose being "without wood" symbolizes ________________________.
(a) Her weak nature
(b) Her lack of furniture
(d) Her lack of a home
5. Ying-Ying feels that aborting her baby was ______________________.
(a) A mortal sin
(b) A weak moment
(c) An immature act
(d) An act of strength
6. This daughter is tired of her mother's habit of ______________________________.
(a) Projecting her negativity outward
(b) Warning her about her marriage
(c) Trying to fix everything
(d) Seeing bad omens in everything
7. Three days of sleeping may have given Rose _________________.
(a) A break from work
(b) New nightmares about Ted
(c) A new strength
(d) A deeper sense of confusion
8. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
(a) He frightened her
(b) He wanted to be her husband
(c) He was the cause of her eating problem
(d) He was cruel to her
9. At lunch together, Waverly's mother _____________________________________.
(a) Is concerned about her heart
(b) Criticizes Waverly's choice of friends
(c) Criticizes everything about the restaurant and food
(d) Is nervous and skittery
10. For dinner, Jing-mei and Canning share with his relatives ____________________________.
(a) Chicken wrapped in clay
(b) Peking duck and noodles
(c) Soup in a carved melon
(d) Hamburgers, fries and apple pie
11. Why will a second mirror help the daughter?
(a) Two mirrors balance the emotions
(b) Bad omens dissolve between the two
(c) The two mirrors will multiply luck
(d) Another mirror will scare away bad energy
12. The pastor, Wing, was a __________________________-.
(a) A convicted criminal
(b) A childhood friend of Ted's
(c) A longtime friend of Rose's mother
(d) Childhood friend of Rose's brother
13. Ying-Ying feels that her daughter's home _________________________.
(a) Is boring and dull
(b) Has no life in it
(c) Is too fancy
(d) Is cold and unfriendly
14. During an epidemic in Shanghai, Ying-Ying worked in ____________________.
(a) A local hospital
(b) A clothing store
(c) The farmers' market
(d) Her relatives' home
15. Lindo's oldest son, Winston, ___________________________.
(a) Went to college and became a doctor
(b) Went away to school
(c) Is a Chinese Baptist
(d) Died in a car accident at sixteen
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lena feel she caused Arnold's death?
2. An-Mei's mother told her a story of a tear-eating __________________.
3. Suyuan Woo compares Waverly to a crab, saying she _________________________________________.
4. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
5. Canning Woo's nickname, Syau Yen, means __________________.
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)