|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rose Hu's confession that her marriage is ending prompts An-Mei to __________________________________-.
(a) Become depressed, as she was in childhood
(b) Relive the memories of her childhood
(c) Beg Rose to not lose hope
(d) Compare her to her aunt
2. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
(a) Be a good daughter
(b) Have stronger self-esteem
(c) Understand her life's importance
(d) Find a good relationship
3. Rose being "without wood" symbolizes ________________________.
(a) Her weak nature
(c) Her lack of a home
(d) Her lack of furniture
4. Lindo disapproves of Waverly's mink because ___________________________.
(a) She does not believe in animal furs
(b) She thinks it is too extravagant
(c) The individual hairs are uneven
(d) She feels it is too cheap
5. Waverly chooses the best crab on the platter for _______________________.
(b) June Woo
(c) Her daugher, Shoshanna
(d) Her fiance, Rich
6. Ying-Ying feels that aborting her baby was ______________________.
(a) A mortal sin
(b) A weak moment
(c) An act of strength
(d) An immature act
7. What is the supposed effect of a mirror at the foot of the bed?
(a) The mirror will reflect the wrong way
(b) Marriage happiness will bounce back
(c) It is bad luck to be able to see your partner while in bed
(d) Things in the marriage will turn backward
8. Jing-Mei Woo travels to China with ____________________-.
(a) Her sisters
(b) Her children
(c) Her aunties
(d) Her father
9. This daughter is tired of her mother's habit of ______________________________.
(a) Seeing bad omens in everything
(b) Warning her about her marriage
(c) Projecting her negativity outward
(d) Trying to fix everything
10. Rich Schields makes several mistakes at dinner, the worst being ___________________________________.
(a) He accidentally insults Lindo's cooking
(b) He brings wine to people who do not own wineglasses
(c) He drinks too much wine
(d) He spills food
11. Ying-Ying feels that her daughter's home _________________________.
(a) Is cold and unfriendly
(b) Is boring and dull
(c) Has no life in it
(d) Is too fancy
12. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
(a) Her pain will will meld and become one with her daughter's
(b) Her mistakes will all be forgiven
(c) She will atone for her daughter's sins
(d) Her tiger nature will enter her daughter
13. An-Mei finds that in Tientsin, she has a __________________.
(a) New mother
(c) New husband
14. The characters in this parable are ______________________________.
(a) Waverly and her mother
(b) Not yet known to the reader
(c) June Woo and her mother
(d) Rose and her mother
15. The pastor, Wing, was a __________________________-.
(a) A childhood friend of Ted's
(b) A convicted criminal
(c) Childhood friend of Rose's brother
(d) A longtime friend of Rose's mother
Short Answer Questions
1. The grandmother wonders if the child is laughing because __________________________________.
2. Lindo is disappointed that she could not __________________________________.
3. At lunch together, Waverly's mother _____________________________________.
4. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
5. What does the jade pendant symbolize?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)