|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The grandmother wonders aloud whether ____________________________________________.
(a) The baby has come from a royal place with Buddha
(b) She is truly innocent or holds many secrets inside
(c) She sees negative things in others because she has them herself
(d) The baby is laughing at her or with her
2. Waverly chooses the best crab on the platter for _______________________.
(b) Her fiance, Rich
(c) June Woo
(d) Her daugher, Shoshanna
3. In Peking, Lindo paid a Chinese girl to ____________________________.
(a) Teach her Chinese embroidery
(b) Teach her how to be a mother
(c) Show her how to be a better Chinese wife
(d) Show her how to be an American
4. An-Mei's mother told her a story of a tear-eating __________________.
(c) Little pond
(d) Bird of joy
5. Suyuan Woo compares Waverly to a crab, saying she _________________________________________.
(a) She is without feelings, like the crab
(b) Is always moving sideways and crooked
(c) Her claws are sharp but slow, like the crab
(d) She is missing something, like the crab's leg
6. Rich's reaction to his unintended insults toward Lindo was _________________________________________.
(a) He never realized he had done anything wrong
(b) He admitted his bleak failure
(c) He was loyal to Waverly
(d) He thinks they do not like him
7. Ying-Ying feels that aborting her baby was ______________________.
(a) A weak moment
(b) A mortal sin
(c) An immature act
(d) An act of strength
8. Lena is certain her mother is able to _________________________.
(a) Read tea leaves
(b) Figure things out
(c) See the future
(d) See all the bad things around her
9. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
(a) Her mistakes will all be forgiven
(b) She will atone for her daughter's sins
(c) Her tiger nature will enter her daughter
(d) Her pain will will meld and become one with her daughter's
10. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
(a) He was cruel to her
(b) He frightened her
(c) He was the cause of her eating problem
(d) He wanted to be her husband
11. Jing-mei's job is that of a _____________________.
(a) Tax attorney
12. Clifford St. Clair's gifts to Ying-Ying were ___________________________.
(a) A reflection of his personality
(b) Ridiculous and tawdry
(c) Cheap compared to the wealth to which she is accustomed
(d) Bought from local merchants
13. At lunch together, Waverly's mother _____________________________________.
(a) Criticizes Waverly's choice of friends
(b) Criticizes everything about the restaurant and food
(c) Is nervous and skittery
(d) Is concerned about her heart
14. The pastor, Wing, was a __________________________-.
(a) A longtime friend of Rose's mother
(b) A convicted criminal
(c) Childhood friend of Rose's brother
(d) A childhood friend of Ted's
15. The characters in this parable are ______________________________.
(a) Rose and her mother
(b) Waverly and her mother
(c) Not yet known to the reader
(d) June Woo and her mother
Short Answer Questions
1. This daughter is tired of her mother's habit of ______________________________.
2. Why will a second mirror help the daughter?
3. Lindo disapproves of Waverly's mink because ___________________________.
4. The sisters in China were told their mother was dead by __________________.
5. An-Mei's brother cannot come with their mother because _______________________________.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)