|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ying-Ying's name means _____________________.
(a) Timid Bird
(b) Clear Reflection
(c) Quiet Spirit
(d) Flying Tiger
2. An-Mei finds that in Tientsin, she has a __________________.
(a) New mother
(b) New husband
3. Why will a second mirror help the daughter?
(a) The two mirrors will multiply luck
(b) Two mirrors balance the emotions
(c) Another mirror will scare away bad energy
(d) Bad omens dissolve between the two
4. The pastor, Wing, was a __________________________-.
(a) A convicted criminal
(b) A childhood friend of Ted's
(c) A longtime friend of Rose's mother
(d) Childhood friend of Rose's brother
5. Lindo's mother told her as a child that _________________________________.
(a) She would later learn to worry and lose her hair
(b) She would marry well
(c) She would follow her nose to good luck
(d) She would grow up to be unfortunate
6. Rose Hu's confession that her marriage is ending prompts An-Mei to __________________________________-.
(a) Compare her to her aunt
(b) Beg Rose to not lose hope
(c) Relive the memories of her childhood
(d) Become depressed, as she was in childhood
7. Lindo is ashamed that Waverly _________________________.
(a) Thinks she needs to have her hair done
(b) Does not like her purple tinted hair
(c) Looks so much like her
(d) Is not proud of her
8. In Peking, Lindo paid a Chinese girl to ____________________________.
(a) Show her how to be an American
(b) Teach her Chinese embroidery
(c) Teach her how to be a mother
(d) Show her how to be a better Chinese wife
9. Waverly gives up chess for good because she ________________________________-.
(a) Begins to lose tournaments
(b) Is tired of dealing with her mother
(c) No longer believes she has a gift
(d) Lost track of her strategy
10. Three days of sleeping may have given Rose _________________.
(a) New nightmares about Ted
(b) A deeper sense of confusion
(c) A break from work
(d) A new strength
11. What is the supposed effect of a mirror at the foot of the bed?
(a) It is bad luck to be able to see your partner while in bed
(b) The mirror will reflect the wrong way
(c) Things in the marriage will turn backward
(d) Marriage happiness will bounce back
12. An-Mei's mother told her a story of a tear-eating __________________.
(b) Little pond
(c) Bird of joy
13. For dinner, Jing-mei and Canning share with his relatives ____________________________.
(a) Hamburgers, fries and apple pie
(b) Soup in a carved melon
(c) Peking duck and noodles
(d) Chicken wrapped in clay
14. The vase that breaks in the bedroom symbolizes _____________________________.
(a) Harold's insensitivity
(b) Lena and Harold's marriage
(c) Lena's mother's prophecy
(d) The separation of two halves
15. Suyuan Woo compares Waverly to a crab, saying she _________________________________________.
(a) She is missing something, like the crab's leg
(b) Her claws are sharp but slow, like the crab
(c) She is without feelings, like the crab
(d) Is always moving sideways and crooked
Short Answer Questions
1. Waverly chooses the best crab on the platter for _______________________.
2. Rose finds the imagery of Ted doing monkey business __________________.
3. The grandmother asks the baby to teach her mother how to lose innocence, without losing hope, and _________________________-.
4. During the war, it was not well-known that the Japanese entered ________________________.
5. An-Mei's brother cannot come with their mother because _______________________________.
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)