|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This daughter is tired of her mother's habit of ______________________________.
(a) Trying to fix everything
(b) Projecting her negativity outward
(c) Seeing bad omens in everything
(d) Warning her about her marriage
2. Waverly gives up chess for good because she ________________________________-.
(a) Begins to lose tournaments
(b) Lost track of her strategy
(c) No longer believes she has a gift
(d) Is tired of dealing with her mother
3. Three days of sleeping may have given Rose _________________.
(a) New nightmares about Ted
(b) A new strength
(c) A deeper sense of confusion
(d) A break from work
4. An-Mei's mother told her a story of a tear-eating __________________.
(b) Bird of joy
(c) Little pond
5. Jing-mei's job is that of a _____________________.
(a) Tax attorney
6. The mother has purchased a new mirror at _______________________.
(a) The Price Club
(b) Twice Used Store
(d) Dollar Store
7. The grandmother wonders aloud whether ____________________________________________.
(a) She is truly innocent or holds many secrets inside
(b) The baby has come from a royal place with Buddha
(c) She sees negative things in others because she has them herself
(d) The baby is laughing at her or with her
8. Suyuan Woo compares Waverly to a crab, saying she _________________________________________.
(a) Is always moving sideways and crooked
(b) She is missing something, like the crab's leg
(c) She is without feelings, like the crab
(d) Her claws are sharp but slow, like the crab
9. The grandmother wonders if the child is laughing because __________________________________.
(a) She knows more about the world than most
(b) Buddha is teaching her to laugh for no reason
(c) She is seeing her grandmother's suspicious nose
(d) She knows her grandmother has become evil
10. Lindo's oldest son, Winston, ___________________________.
(a) Died in a car accident at sixteen
(b) Is a Chinese Baptist
(c) Went away to school
(d) Went to college and became a doctor
11. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
(a) He frightened her
(b) He was cruel to her
(c) He was the cause of her eating problem
(d) He wanted to be her husband
12. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
(a) Her tiger nature will enter her daughter
(b) She will atone for her daughter's sins
(c) Her pain will will meld and become one with her daughter's
(d) Her mistakes will all be forgiven
13. Why did Lena feel she caused Arnold's death?
(a) She intended for him to die
(b) She ate all of her rice
(c) Because she wounded him emotionally
(d) She compared him to lepers
14. The grandmother admits that she ______________________________-.
(a) Knows she will live forever
(b) Taught her daughter to shed her innocence
(c) Taught her daughter to be free
(d) Taught her daughter to be suspicious
15. Waverly had to become ill before her mother would _____________________________-.
(a) Encourage her to play
(b) Forbid her to play
(c) Feed her again
(d) Speak to her again
Short Answer Questions
1. In the mirror, the mother sees ______________________________.
2. In Peking, Lindo paid a Chinese girl to ____________________________.
3. An-Mei's mother makes life in Tientsin sound __________________________________.
4. Lindo is ashamed that Waverly _________________________.
5. An-Mei's brother cannot come with their mother because _______________________________.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)