|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Old Mr. Chou is ___________________________________.
(a) An old friend of An-Mei's
(b) A fantasy figure from the world of sleep
(c) A neighbor who tends Rose's garden
(d) A Chinese fortune teller
2. This daughter is tired of her mother's habit of ______________________________.
(a) Trying to fix everything
(b) Projecting her negativity outward
(c) Seeing bad omens in everything
(d) Warning her about her marriage
3. Why will a second mirror help the daughter?
(a) Another mirror will scare away bad energy
(b) The two mirrors will multiply luck
(c) Bad omens dissolve between the two
(d) Two mirrors balance the emotions
4. Lindo knows that Chinese people will know that her daughter ___________________.
(a) Is a good wife
(b) Is well-to-do
(c) Is not Chinese
(d) Is highly educated
5. During the war, it was not well-known that the Japanese entered ________________________.
6. Rich's reaction to his unintended insults toward Lindo was _________________________________________.
(a) He never realized he had done anything wrong
(b) He admitted his bleak failure
(c) He was loyal to Waverly
(d) He thinks they do not like him
7. Lena is certain her mother is able to _________________________.
(a) Read tea leaves
(b) See all the bad things around her
(c) Figure things out
(d) See the future
8. The mother has purchased a new mirror at _______________________.
(a) The Price Club
(b) Twice Used Store
(d) Dollar Store
9. The grandmother wonders if the child is laughing because __________________________________.
(a) Buddha is teaching her to laugh for no reason
(b) She knows her grandmother has become evil
(c) She knows more about the world than most
(d) She is seeing her grandmother's suspicious nose
10. For dinner, Jing-mei and Canning share with his relatives ____________________________.
(a) Chicken wrapped in clay
(b) Hamburgers, fries and apple pie
(c) Peking duck and noodles
(d) Soup in a carved melon
11. Ted makes the assumption that ______________________-.
(a) Rose will be disagreeable
(b) Rose wants the divorce
(c) He will get the house
(d) He will have to pay alimony
12. Rose being "without wood" symbolizes ________________________.
(a) Her lack of a home
(c) Her weak nature
(d) Her lack of furniture
13. Rose Hu's confession that her marriage is ending prompts An-Mei to __________________________________-.
(a) Become depressed, as she was in childhood
(b) Relive the memories of her childhood
(c) Compare her to her aunt
(d) Beg Rose to not lose hope
14. Waverly has an ignorant fear of Jing-mei's hairdresser _______________________________.
(a) Because he works on Howard Street
(b) Because he is gay
(c) Because she fears for her daughter
(d) Because he is reckless
15. Waverly had to become ill before her mother would _____________________________-.
(a) Forbid her to play
(b) Feed her again
(c) Speak to her again
(d) Encourage her to play
Short Answer Questions
1. The grandmother asks the baby to teach her mother how to lose innocence, without losing hope, and _________________________-.
2. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
3. Waverly gives up chess for good because she ________________________________-.
4. Lindo is ashamed that Waverly _________________________.
5. Why did Lena feel she caused Arnold's death?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)