|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ying-Ying's name means _____________________.
(a) Quiet Spirit
(b) Timid Bird
(c) Clear Reflection
(d) Flying Tiger
2. At lunch together, Waverly's mother _____________________________________.
(a) Criticizes everything about the restaurant and food
(b) Is concerned about her heart
(c) Is nervous and skittery
(d) Criticizes Waverly's choice of friends
3. Ying-Ying feels that aborting her baby was ______________________.
(a) A mortal sin
(b) An immature act
(c) An act of strength
(d) A weak moment
4. An-Mei's mother makes life in Tientsin sound __________________________________.
(a) Frightening and mysterious
(b) A city filled with foreigners
(c) Abundant and exciting
(d) A dangerous tourist town
5. Jing-mei's job is that of a _____________________.
(c) Tax attorney
6. Rose Hu's confession that her marriage is ending prompts An-Mei to __________________________________-.
(a) Become depressed, as she was in childhood
(b) Beg Rose to not lose hope
(c) Relive the memories of her childhood
(d) Compare her to her aunt
7. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
(c) The Mandarin dialect
(d) The Cantonese dialect
8. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
(a) Find a good relationship
(b) Understand her life's importance
(c) Be a good daughter
(d) Have stronger self-esteem
9. Waverly had to become ill before her mother would _____________________________-.
(a) Speak to her again
(b) Encourage her to play
(c) Forbid her to play
(d) Feed her again
10. Three days of sleeping may have given Rose _________________.
(a) A break from work
(b) New nightmares about Ted
(c) A new strength
(d) A deeper sense of confusion
11. An-Mei's brother cannot come with their mother because _______________________________.
(a) He would lose any hope for a future
(b) His aunt and uncle forbid it
(c) She has not invited him to follow her
(d) Boys must stay home to care for their aunts
12. An-Mei's mother was not always a fourth wife, but was once a _______________________.
(a) Second wife of a villager
(b) First wife of a poor servant
(c) First wife of a scholar
(d) Model in Tientsin
13. Clifford St. Clair's gifts to Ying-Ying were ___________________________.
(a) A reflection of his personality
(b) Bought from local merchants
(c) Ridiculous and tawdry
(d) Cheap compared to the wealth to which she is accustomed
14. The grandmother wonders aloud whether ____________________________________________.
(a) The baby has come from a royal place with Buddha
(b) She sees negative things in others because she has them herself
(c) The baby is laughing at her or with her
(d) She is truly innocent or holds many secrets inside
15. Rose finds the imagery of Ted doing monkey business __________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What the daughter sees in the mirror is _____________________.
2. The vase that breaks in the bedroom symbolizes _____________________________.
3. In Peking, Lindo paid a Chinese girl to ____________________________.
4. Old Mr. Chou is ___________________________________.
5. Lena is certain her mother is able to _________________________.
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)