|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The grandmother imagines the baby in this parable to be ________________________.
(a) Hwai dungsyi
(b) Empress of China
(c) Buddah's granddaughter
(d) Syi Wang Mu
2. Lena and Harold are both _________________.
(c) Building designers
3. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
(a) She will atone for her daughter's sins
(b) Her tiger nature will enter her daughter
(c) Her mistakes will all be forgiven
(d) Her pain will will meld and become one with her daughter's
4. Jing-mei's job is that of a _____________________.
(d) Tax attorney
5. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
(a) He frightened her
(b) He wanted to be her husband
(c) He was the cause of her eating problem
(d) He was cruel to her
6. The sisters in China were told their mother was dead by __________________.
(a) A phone call from Auntie An-Mei
(b) A telegram from Jing-Mei's father
(c) A letter from Auntie Lindo
7. Rose being "without wood" symbolizes ________________________.
(a) Her lack of furniture
(b) Her lack of a home
(d) Her weak nature
8. The mother has purchased a new mirror at _______________________.
(b) Twice Used Store
(c) The Price Club
(d) Dollar Store
9. What the daughter sees in the mirror is _____________________.
(a) Her mother's face and her own
(b) Her future granchild's face
(c) Her mother's face
(d) Her own face
10. Why will a second mirror help the daughter?
(a) Bad omens dissolve between the two
(b) Another mirror will scare away bad energy
(c) The two mirrors will multiply luck
(d) Two mirrors balance the emotions
11. This daughter is tired of her mother's habit of ______________________________.
(a) Projecting her negativity outward
(b) Warning her about her marriage
(c) Trying to fix everything
(d) Seeing bad omens in everything
12. Rose finds the imagery of Ted doing monkey business __________________.
13. An-Mei's mother told her a story of a tear-eating __________________.
(a) Little pond
(d) Bird of joy
14. Clifford St. Clair's gifts to Ying-Ying were ___________________________.
(a) Cheap compared to the wealth to which she is accustomed
(b) A reflection of his personality
(c) Ridiculous and tawdry
(d) Bought from local merchants
15. Ying-Ying feels that aborting her baby was ______________________.
(a) A mortal sin
(b) A weak moment
(c) An immature act
(d) An act of strength
Short Answer Questions
1. Ying-Ying's name means _____________________.
2. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
3. Lindo knows that Chinese people will know that her daughter ___________________.
4. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
5. For dinner, Jing-mei and Canning share with his relatives ____________________________.
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)