|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The characters in this parable are ______________________________.
(a) Not yet known to the reader
(b) Waverly and her mother
(c) Rose and her mother
(d) June Woo and her mother
2. Rose finds the imagery of Ted doing monkey business __________________.
3. The mother has purchased a new mirror at _______________________.
(a) The Price Club
(b) Dollar Store
(c) Twice Used Store
4. Suyuan Woo compares Waverly to a crab, saying she _________________________________________.
(a) Her claws are sharp but slow, like the crab
(b) She is without feelings, like the crab
(c) Is always moving sideways and crooked
(d) She is missing something, like the crab's leg
5. Ying-Ying feels that aborting her baby was ______________________.
(a) An immature act
(b) A mortal sin
(c) A weak moment
(d) An act of strength
6. Rich's reaction to his unintended insults toward Lindo was _________________________________________.
(a) He was loyal to Waverly
(b) He never realized he had done anything wrong
(c) He thinks they do not like him
(d) He admitted his bleak failure
7. Ying-Ying's name means _____________________.
(a) Clear Reflection
(b) Timid Bird
(c) Flying Tiger
(d) Quiet Spirit
8. Jing-mei's job is that of a _____________________.
(d) Tax attorney
9. The pastor, Wing, was a __________________________-.
(a) A childhood friend of Ted's
(b) A longtime friend of Rose's mother
(c) A convicted criminal
(d) Childhood friend of Rose's brother
10. Ying-Ying feels that her daughter's home _________________________.
(a) Is boring and dull
(b) Has no life in it
(c) Is too fancy
(d) Is cold and unfriendly
11. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
(a) The Mandarin dialect
(b) The Cantonese dialect
12. An-Mei's brother cannot come with their mother because _______________________________.
(a) His aunt and uncle forbid it
(b) She has not invited him to follow her
(c) He would lose any hope for a future
(d) Boys must stay home to care for their aunts
13. Lena and Harold are both _________________.
(a) Building designers
14. The grandmother wonders if the child is laughing because __________________________________.
(a) She knows more about the world than most
(b) She is seeing her grandmother's suspicious nose
(c) She knows her grandmother has become evil
(d) Buddha is teaching her to laugh for no reason
15. An-Mei's mother makes life in Tientsin sound __________________________________.
(a) Abundant and exciting
(b) Frightening and mysterious
(c) A dangerous tourist town
(d) A city filled with foreigners
Short Answer Questions
1. Rich Schields makes several mistakes at dinner, the worst being ___________________________________.
2. For dinner, Jing-mei and Canning share with his relatives ____________________________.
3. In Peking, Lindo paid a Chinese girl to ____________________________.
4. Why did Lena hate Arnold so much?
5. Lindo is ashamed that Waverly _________________________.
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)