|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why will a second mirror help the daughter?
(a) The two mirrors will multiply luck
(b) Another mirror will scare away bad energy
(c) Two mirrors balance the emotions
(d) Bad omens dissolve between the two
2. Waverly had to become ill before her mother would _____________________________-.
(a) Feed her again
(b) Speak to her again
(c) Encourage her to play
(d) Forbid her to play
3. Ying-Ying feels that aborting her baby was ______________________.
(a) A weak moment
(b) A mortal sin
(c) An immature act
(d) An act of strength
4. An-Mei finds that in Tientsin, she has a __________________.
(a) New mother
(b) New husband
5. Rose Hu's confession that her marriage is ending prompts An-Mei to __________________________________-.
(a) Beg Rose to not lose hope
(b) Compare her to her aunt
(c) Become depressed, as she was in childhood
(d) Relive the memories of her childhood
6. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
(b) The Mandarin dialect
(c) The Cantonese dialect
7. What the daughter sees in the mirror is _____________________.
(a) Her future granchild's face
(b) Her mother's face
(c) Her mother's face and her own
(d) Her own face
8. Lindo's mother told her as a child that _________________________________.
(a) She would marry well
(b) She would follow her nose to good luck
(c) She would later learn to worry and lose her hair
(d) She would grow up to be unfortunate
9. Ying-Ying's name means _____________________.
(a) Clear Reflection
(b) Timid Bird
(c) Quiet Spirit
(d) Flying Tiger
10. What is the supposed effect of a mirror at the foot of the bed?
(a) Marriage happiness will bounce back
(b) It is bad luck to be able to see your partner while in bed
(c) The mirror will reflect the wrong way
(d) Things in the marriage will turn backward
11. For dinner, Jing-mei and Canning share with his relatives ____________________________.
(a) Hamburgers, fries and apple pie
(b) Soup in a carved melon
(c) Peking duck and noodles
(d) Chicken wrapped in clay
12. The grandmother asks the baby to teach her mother how to lose innocence, without losing hope, and _________________________-.
(a) How to be a good mother
(b) How to forgive everyone
(c) How to laugh forever
(d) How to be Queen of the Western Skis
13. This daughter is tired of her mother's habit of ______________________________.
(a) Seeing bad omens in everything
(b) Trying to fix everything
(c) Projecting her negativity outward
(d) Warning her about her marriage
14. Ted makes the assumption that ______________________-.
(a) Rose will be disagreeable
(b) He will get the house
(c) He will have to pay alimony
(d) Rose wants the divorce
15. Three days of sleeping may have given Rose _________________.
(a) New nightmares about Ted
(b) A new strength
(c) A deeper sense of confusion
(d) A break from work
Short Answer Questions
1. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
2. In Peking, Lindo paid a Chinese girl to ____________________________.
3. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
4. Rich's reaction to his unintended insults toward Lindo was _________________________________________.
5. Lindo is disappointed that she could not __________________________________.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)