|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rose finds the imagery of Ted doing monkey business __________________.
2. The grandmother admits that she ______________________________-.
(a) Taught her daughter to shed her innocence
(b) Taught her daughter to be suspicious
(c) Taught her daughter to be free
(d) Knows she will live forever
3. The vase that breaks in the bedroom symbolizes _____________________________.
(a) Harold's insensitivity
(b) Lena and Harold's marriage
(c) The separation of two halves
(d) Lena's mother's prophecy
4. An-Mei's brother cannot come with their mother because _______________________________.
(a) He would lose any hope for a future
(b) Boys must stay home to care for their aunts
(c) She has not invited him to follow her
(d) His aunt and uncle forbid it
5. Rose Hu's confession that her marriage is ending prompts An-Mei to __________________________________-.
(a) Relive the memories of her childhood
(b) Become depressed, as she was in childhood
(c) Compare her to her aunt
(d) Beg Rose to not lose hope
6. Why will a second mirror help the daughter?
(a) Bad omens dissolve between the two
(b) Two mirrors balance the emotions
(c) Another mirror will scare away bad energy
(d) The two mirrors will multiply luck
7. What does the jade pendant symbolize?
(b) Three pears
(d) We do not know
8. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
(a) Her tiger nature will enter her daughter
(b) She will atone for her daughter's sins
(c) Her pain will will meld and become one with her daughter's
(d) Her mistakes will all be forgiven
9. This daughter is tired of her mother's habit of ______________________________.
(a) Warning her about her marriage
(b) Seeing bad omens in everything
(c) Projecting her negativity outward
(d) Trying to fix everything
10. What is the supposed effect of a mirror at the foot of the bed?
(a) The mirror will reflect the wrong way
(b) Things in the marriage will turn backward
(c) It is bad luck to be able to see your partner while in bed
(d) Marriage happiness will bounce back
11. Lindo's mother told her as a child that _________________________________.
(a) She would grow up to be unfortunate
(b) She would later learn to worry and lose her hair
(c) She would follow her nose to good luck
(d) She would marry well
12. Suyuan Woo compares Waverly to a crab, saying she _________________________________________.
(a) She is missing something, like the crab's leg
(b) Is always moving sideways and crooked
(c) She is without feelings, like the crab
(d) Her claws are sharp but slow, like the crab
13. Canning Woo's nickname, Syau Yen, means __________________.
(a) Small fox
(b) Little Wild Goose
(c) Little ghost
(d) Happy boy
14. Lindo knows that Chinese people will know that her daughter ___________________.
(a) Is highly educated
(b) Is not Chinese
(c) Is a good wife
(d) Is well-to-do
15. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
(a) Understand her life's importance
(b) Find a good relationship
(c) Be a good daughter
(d) Have stronger self-esteem
Short Answer Questions
1. The characters in this parable are ______________________________.
2. An-Mei's mother was not always a fourth wife, but was once a _______________________.
3. Lena is certain her mother is able to _________________________.
4. In the mirror, the mother sees ______________________________.
5. For dinner, Jing-mei and Canning share with his relatives ____________________________.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)