|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An-Mei's brother cannot come with their mother because _______________________________.
(a) He would lose any hope for a future
(b) She has not invited him to follow her
(c) His aunt and uncle forbid it
(d) Boys must stay home to care for their aunts
2. Clifford St. Clair's gifts to Ying-Ying were ___________________________.
(a) A reflection of his personality
(b) Bought from local merchants
(c) Ridiculous and tawdry
(d) Cheap compared to the wealth to which she is accustomed
3. During an epidemic in Shanghai, Ying-Ying worked in ____________________.
(a) Her relatives' home
(b) The farmers' market
(c) A clothing store
(d) A local hospital
4. Ying-Ying feels that aborting her baby was ______________________.
(a) A mortal sin
(b) An immature act
(c) A weak moment
(d) An act of strength
5. The grandmother wonders aloud whether ____________________________________________.
(a) She is truly innocent or holds many secrets inside
(b) The baby is laughing at her or with her
(c) The baby has come from a royal place with Buddha
(d) She sees negative things in others because she has them herself
6. Lindo disapproves of Waverly's mink because ___________________________.
(a) She thinks it is too extravagant
(b) The individual hairs are uneven
(c) She feels it is too cheap
(d) She does not believe in animal furs
7. The sisters in China were told their mother was dead by __________________.
(a) A phone call from Auntie An-Mei
(b) A telegram from Jing-Mei's father
(d) A letter from Auntie Lindo
8. Rose being "without wood" symbolizes ________________________.
(a) Her lack of furniture
(c) Her weak nature
(d) Her lack of a home
9. Lindo knows that Chinese people will know that her daughter ___________________.
(a) Is not Chinese
(b) Is a good wife
(c) Is highly educated
(d) Is well-to-do
10. Canning Woo's nickname, Syau Yen, means __________________.
(a) Small fox
(b) Little Wild Goose
(c) Happy boy
(d) Little ghost
11. Waverly gives up chess for good because she ________________________________-.
(a) No longer believes she has a gift
(b) Is tired of dealing with her mother
(c) Begins to lose tournaments
(d) Lost track of her strategy
12. The vase that breaks in the bedroom symbolizes _____________________________.
(a) Lena and Harold's marriage
(b) The separation of two halves
(c) Harold's insensitivity
(d) Lena's mother's prophecy
13. Ted makes the assumption that ______________________-.
(a) Rose will be disagreeable
(b) He will get the house
(c) Rose wants the divorce
(d) He will have to pay alimony
14. An-Mei's mother was not always a fourth wife, but was once a _______________________.
(a) Model in Tientsin
(b) Second wife of a villager
(c) First wife of a scholar
(d) First wife of a poor servant
15. Rich's reaction to his unintended insults toward Lindo was _________________________________________.
(a) He never realized he had done anything wrong
(b) He was loyal to Waverly
(c) He admitted his bleak failure
(d) He thinks they do not like him
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lena's eating problem manifest itself?
2. Ying-Ying thinks that if she cuts her spirit loose, ______________________________________.
3. The grandmother imagines the baby in this parable to be ________________________.
4. For dinner, Jing-mei and Canning share with his relatives ____________________________.
5. Waverly chooses the best crab on the platter for _______________________.
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)