|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lena's eating problem manifest itself?
(a) Her skin broke out like leprosy
(b) Her hatred consumed her
(c) She became anorexic
(d) Her mother's sack lunches made her sick
2. Suyuan Woo compares Waverly to a crab, saying she _________________________________________.
(a) Her claws are sharp but slow, like the crab
(b) She is without feelings, like the crab
(c) She is missing something, like the crab's leg
(d) Is always moving sideways and crooked
3. What is the supposed effect of a mirror at the foot of the bed?
(a) The mirror will reflect the wrong way
(b) Marriage happiness will bounce back
(c) It is bad luck to be able to see your partner while in bed
(d) Things in the marriage will turn backward
4. Canning Woo's nickname, Syau Yen, means __________________.
(a) Happy boy
(b) Little ghost
(c) Little Wild Goose
(d) Small fox
5. Lindo is ashamed that Waverly _________________________.
(a) Does not like her purple tinted hair
(b) Is not proud of her
(c) Looks so much like her
(d) Thinks she needs to have her hair done
6. At lunch together, Waverly's mother _____________________________________.
(a) Is concerned about her heart
(b) Criticizes everything about the restaurant and food
(c) Criticizes Waverly's choice of friends
(d) Is nervous and skittery
7. An-Mei's mother makes life in Tientsin sound __________________________________.
(a) A dangerous tourist town
(b) Abundant and exciting
(c) A city filled with foreigners
(d) Frightening and mysterious
8. Why will a second mirror help the daughter?
(a) Two mirrors balance the emotions
(b) Bad omens dissolve between the two
(c) Another mirror will scare away bad energy
(d) The two mirrors will multiply luck
9. Waverly has an ignorant fear of Jing-mei's hairdresser _______________________________.
(a) Because he works on Howard Street
(b) Because she fears for her daughter
(c) Because he is gay
(d) Because he is reckless
10. In the mirror, the mother sees ______________________________.
(a) A new armoire
(b) Her future grandchild on her lap
(c) Her daughter and husband happy
(d) Her future grandchild's face
11. Ying-Ying's name means _____________________.
(a) Clear Reflection
(b) Flying Tiger
(c) Timid Bird
(d) Quiet Spirit
12. For dinner, Jing-mei and Canning share with his relatives ____________________________.
(a) Hamburgers, fries and apple pie
(b) Soup in a carved melon
(c) Chicken wrapped in clay
(d) Peking duck and noodles
13. What the daughter sees in the mirror is _____________________.
(a) Her mother's face and her own
(b) Her own face
(c) Her future granchild's face
(d) Her mother's face
14. Rich's reaction to his unintended insults toward Lindo was _________________________________________.
(a) He was loyal to Waverly
(b) He thinks they do not like him
(c) He never realized he had done anything wrong
(d) He admitted his bleak failure
15. Rich Schields makes several mistakes at dinner, the worst being ___________________________________.
(a) He brings wine to people who do not own wineglasses
(b) He drinks too much wine
(c) He accidentally insults Lindo's cooking
(d) He spills food
Short Answer Questions
1. The grandmother wonders aloud whether ____________________________________________.
2. Jing-Mei Woo travels to China with ____________________-.
3. Jing-Mei's paternal aunt and her father speak ____________________.
4. This daughter is tired of her mother's habit of ______________________________.
5. Ying-Ying feels that her daughter's home _________________________.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)