|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The child in this parable is __________________.
(a) A teenager
(c) A seven-year-old boy
(d) A ten-year-old girl
2. Amah is Ying-Ying's ___________.
3. Lena's father's heritage is __________________.
4. What was Ying-Ying feeling at the end of the Moon Lady play?
(a) Guilt for becoming lost from her family
(b) Hungry for the peach Moon Lady ate
(c) Fear over the enormity of the drama
(d) Despair for the Moon Lady's grief
5. The child of this Chinese mother proves to be ______________________________.
(a) Slightly slow
(b) Strong willed and disrespectful
(c) Happy and rambunctious
(d) Happy to stay where t is safe
6. An-Mei's mother shows up ___________________________.
(a) To reconcile with her children
(b) To challenge An-Mei's aunt
(c) To help her mother in her illness
(d) To retrieve An-Mei and her brother
7. How did Ying-Ying end up in the water?
(a) The Moon Lady drew her in
(b) She was frightened by firecrackers
(c) The little boys pushed her
(d) She tried to grab a swimming snake
8. Suyuan Woo's beautiful mah jong table was made of __________________.
(a) Hong mu
9. Waverly Jong learned the finer points of chess from ___________________.
(a) Lau Po
(b) Winston Jong
(c) Hong Sing
(d) Ping Yuen
10. The event that clouds An-Mei's early memory of her mother was _________________________________________________.
(a) She was severely burned as her mother was leaving
(b) She becomes convinced her that her mother was dead
(c) She fell as she ran toward her mother
(d) Her aunt slapped her face
11. The only father An-Mei knows is ___________________.
(a) Her uncle
(b) Popo's husband
(c) Her mother's husband
(d) The one in a large portrait
12. Jing-mei's piano teacher is ________________________.
(a) Very attentive
(c) Well known
(d) Deaf, like Beethoven
13. An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" because _________________________________.
(a) She is only a fourth wife
(b) She had children out of wedlock
(c) She has had too many children
(d) She has deserted her children
14. The mother appears certain that _________________________.
(a) The child will be obedient
(b) The child will be captured
(c) The child will fall
(d) The child will respect her wishes
15. Tyan-Yu was _____________________________.
(a) An overbearing brute of a husband
(b) Like a small child who never grew up
(c) A sex addict
(d) Much like a brave Chinese warrior
Short Answer Questions
1. The old woman who buys a swan eventually _____________________________.
2. At the Mah Jong table, Suyuan Woo always sat _________________________-.
3. When she was bored, Jing-mei ________________________________.
4. Filling out so many forms at customs, the woman _________________________________________.
5. Waverly's mother uses Waverly __________________________.
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)