|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Throughout the discussion between the mother and child, the mother continues to _______________.
(b) Rock in her chair
2. Suyuan Woo's husband leaves her to __________________________.
(a) Get far from Kweilin
(b) Fight for the Chinese Army
(c) Make his way to Shanghai
(d) Defect to Japan
3. Amah is Ying-Ying's ___________.
4. Lena's family moves up in status by moving _____________________________.
(a) From China to New York
(b) To Little Itay
(c) To a Cantonese neighborhood
(d) From Oakland to San Francisco
5. Lena's great grandfather probably died from _____________________.
(a) Being drowned
(c) Guilt and remorse
(d) Being murdered
6. An army officer told Suyuan Woo _________________________________-.
(a) That the Japanese are losing the war
(b) To hold on to her silk dresses
(c) To go to her husband in Chungking
(d) That her babies will be fine
7. A man on the street leers and acts threatening to Lena's mother. Her mother feels this happened because ______________________________.
(a) She was pregnant
(b) She had dressed up too much
(c) She had her daughter with her
(d) Her life was out of balance
8. The white swan was purchased _____________________.
(a) Aboard the train
(b) In Shanghai
(c) In San Francisco
(d) In New York City
9. Ted is frustrated with Lena because ___________________________.
(a) She does not like his mother
(b) She cannot make a decision
(c) She is still attached to her family
(d) She wants to control the relationship
10. Lindo's mother-in-law _______________________________.
(a) Taught Lindo to be a good housewife
(b) Isolated Lindo throughout her childhood
(c) Helped Lindo learn to read
(d) Raised Lindo as her own child
11. The Hsu family had four sons and ______________________.
(a) Three daughters
(b) Two daughters
(c) One daughter
(d) Four daughters
12. What was Ying-Ying feeling at the end of the Moon Lady play?
(a) Guilt for becoming lost from her family
(b) Hungry for the peach Moon Lady ate
(c) Fear over the enormity of the drama
(d) Despair for the Moon Lady's grief
13. In her final attempt to find Bing, Rose's mother ___________________________________.
(a) Begs the Coiled Dragon to give him back
(b) Tries to fish him out with a bamboo pole
(c) Throws sweetened tea into the sea
(d) Throws an inner tube into the ocean for him
14. Jeing-mei learns that her mother's lost babies ______________________________________.
(a) Wished she had not raised her in America
(b) Died a very poor woman
(c) Died while searching for her lost babies
(d) Have been found alive and well
15. An-Mei Hsu uses her Bible as ___________________________________.
(a) A crutch to try to be right about everything
(b) A stabilizer under the leg of her table
(c) An excuse for all of her bad experiences
(d) A family history
Short Answer Questions
1. The woman's feels her daughter __________________.
2. How did Ying-Ying end up in the water?
3. The only father An-Mei knows is ___________________.
4. Lindo Jong is promised in marriage when she _________________________.
5. In order to promote her fertility, Lindo was given ________________________.
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)