|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Between the child and mother there is a discernible sense of ______________________________.
(a) Strong communication
(b) Bonding between them
(c) Love and affection
(d) Disappointment and anger
2. Ted is frustrated with Lena because ___________________________.
(a) She wants to control the relationship
(b) She does not like his mother
(c) She is still attached to her family
(d) She cannot make a decision
3. Waverly Jong's mother taught her early about ____________________________.
(a) How to shop
(b) Forbidden fruits
(c) Invisible strength
(d) Dim Sum
4. Amah is Ying-Ying's ___________.
5. Suyuan Woo's beautiful mah jong table was made of __________________.
(d) Hong mu
6. A man on the street leers and acts threatening to Lena's mother. Her mother feels this happened because ______________________________.
(a) She had her daughter with her
(b) She was pregnant
(c) She had dressed up too much
(d) Her life was out of balance
7. The winner of the American Mah Jong game takes home _________________________.
(a) City savings bonds
(b) Stock certificates
(c) Leftover food
8. Mah Jong is __________________.
(a) A poker game
(b) A word game
(c) Fortune telling
(d) A board game
9. What was Ying-Ying's unspoken wish?
(a) To be found
(b) To become old
(c) To not be afraid
(d) To be trusted
10. Waverly Jong learned the finer points of chess from ___________________.
(a) Winston Jong
(b) Hong Sing
(c) Lau Po
(d) Ping Yuen
11. Ying Ying was disappointed to find out the Moon Lady in the play _________________________________.
(a) Could not grant wishes
(b) Was only an actress
(c) Was actually a man
(d) Was a figment of her imagination
12. How did Lena learn that a new baby was coming?
(a) Her aunt and uncle told her
(b) Her father shared the news with her
(c) Her mother sat down and explained it to her
(d) A used crib showed up in her bedroom
13. Lindo was forced to live with her future in-laws because ______________________________________.
(a) Her dowry had gotten large enough
(b) She was too old to stay at home
(c) A flood wiped our her family's home
(d) Her family disowned her
14. The old woman wants to use perfect English to explain ________________________________.
(a) The story of the swan to her daughter
(b) Her reasons for leaving China
(c) Her sister's unfortunate situation
(d) Her predicament to customs
15. Suyuan Woo packed all of her belongings into a _________________.
(a) A kimono sling
(b) A back pack
(d) Four wheeled cart
Short Answer Questions
1. Waverly's anger toward her mother is because ________________________.
2. The woman transported the swan ____________________________.
3. Lindo's mother-in-law _______________________________.
4. How did Ying-Ying's rescuers determine she was not a beggar?
5. A Chinese Santa Claus asked Waverly ______________________________________.
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)