|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Popo says a girl who refused to listen to her elders ___________________________.
(a) Grew a large white melon in her stomach
(b) Turned into an overrripe squash
(c) Eventually poisoned herself
(d) Shook her brains out of her ear
2. Throughout the discussion between the mother and child, the mother continues to _______________.
(c) Rock in her chair
3. The woman's plans for the swan involve _________________________________.
(a) Feasting on it when she reaches America
(b) Keeping it alive for good luck
(c) Giving the swan to her daughter
(d) Keeping it in America as a sacred pet
4. Jing-mei, tired of being pushed by her mother, develops _______________________.
(a) A loud voice
(b) A rebellious spirit
(c) Her relationship with Waverly
(d) Her talent as a pianist
5. The mother's superstitions may have been confirmed when ___________________________.
(a) The two argued about the dangers
(b) The child fell from the bike
(c) The child made it around the corner
(d) The child's bike was broken
6. Lindo's mother-in-law _______________________________.
(a) Helped Lindo learn to read
(b) Taught Lindo to be a good housewife
(c) Raised Lindo as her own child
(d) Isolated Lindo throughout her childhood
7. The woman transported the swan ____________________________.
(a) From Shanghai to America
(b) From New York to San Francisco
(c) From Shanghai to Kweilin
(d) From Hong Kong to Shanghai
8. Between the child and mother there is a discernible sense of ______________________________.
(a) Bonding between them
(b) Strong communication
(c) Love and affection
(d) Disappointment and anger
9. Lena's great grandfather probably died from _____________________.
(a) Guilt and remorse
(c) Being drowned
(d) Being murdered
10. Waverly was named after ____________________________.
(a) The local pastry bakery
(b) The street where she lived
(c) The boat her family came to America in
(d) The local department store
11. When Ying-Ying got dirty with turtle blood, Amah was afraid Ying-Ying's mother would _______________________________.
(a) Banish them from the village
(b) Send them to Shang Hai
(c) Banish them both to Kunming
(d) Split them up
12. Besides losing her name, Lena's mother lost ________________________.
(a) Her entire dowry
(b) Her status in China
(c) Her entire heritage
(d) Her friends
13. The token saved from the swan carries with it ________________________________.
(a) All the luck the woman did not have in China
(b) A fortune in memories
(c) A promise that she would learn English
(d) All the woman's good intentions
14. As national chess champion, Waverly is touted as __________________________.
(a) A poor child from Chinatown
(b) The Great American Hope
(c) The funeral parlor's mascot
(d) Bobby Fischer's best friend
15. What young Jing-Mei senses is that she will soon _________________________.
(a) Become perfect
(b) Be a rock star
(c) Become invisible
(d) Be discovered
Short Answer Questions
1. Rose's mother recorded Bing's death _______________________.
2. Rose had to care for her brothers to learn ________________________.
3. The clothes Ying-Ying wears for the Moon Festival are ________________________.
4. Waverly Jong learned the finer points of chess from ___________________.
5. The child finally decides to ______________________.
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)