|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lindo was able to convince her in-laws to end her marriage by ______________________________.
(a) Crying and wailing
(b) Being infertile
(c) Offering them all of her gold
(d) Playing into their superstitions
2. The woman's feels her daughter __________________.
(a) Has no affection
(b) Has no sorrows
(c) Has no values
(d) Has no insight
3. Jing Mei is afraid that if she does not find the prodigy in herself she will _________________________-.
(a) Always be nothing
(b) Not be able to compete with her cousin
(c) Not learn to play chess
(d) Not quite measure up
4. When in China, the women of the Joy Luck Club were not allowed __________________________.
(a) Focus on winning
(b) To think a bad thought
(c) To leave before sixteen hours were up
(d) To drink more than one cup of tea
5. Rose was surprised that her mother had ___________________________.
(a) Learned how to drive
(b) Left her father behind
(c) Given up on finding Bing
(d) Taken her bible on the search
6. Rose's mother admitted to God that _______________________.
(a) They had been careless
(b) She had sacred powers
(c) Their was an ancestral debt
(d) Rose had not taught Bing manners
7. The child of this Chinese mother proves to be ______________________________.
(a) Strong willed and disrespectful
(b) Happy and rambunctious
(c) Happy to stay where t is safe
(d) Slightly slow
8. The child's mother responds to the question about the twenty six gates, by _________________________________.
(a) Holding and rocking the child
(b) Writing the bad things on paper
(c) Dragging out an old Chinese book
(d) Silently ignoring the child's question
9. Between the child and mother there is a discernible sense of ______________________________.
(a) Love and affection
(b) Bonding between them
(c) Strong communication
(d) Disappointment and anger
10. Jing-mei's piano teacher is ________________________.
(a) Very attentive
(c) Well known
(d) Deaf, like Beethoven
11. The woman transported the swan ____________________________.
(a) From New York to San Francisco
(b) From Shanghai to America
(c) From Shanghai to Kweilin
(d) From Hong Kong to Shanghai
12. Waverly's mother pretending to understand chess is ____________________________.
(a) Endearing to Waverly
(b) Her way of appearing bright to the neighbors
(c) Her way of bonding with her daughter
(d) Annoying to Waverly
13. Throughout the discussion between the mother and child, the mother continues to _______________.
(b) Rock in her chair
14. Suyuan Woo packed all of her belongings into a _________________.
(b) A back pack
(c) Four wheeled cart
(d) A kimono sling
15. In the city, a new type of thinking allows _________________________________.
(a) A woman to marry without permission
(b) People to live together unmarried
(c) A man to choose his own wife
(d) Women to choose their husbands
Short Answer Questions
1. Rose realizes that fate is shaped half by expectation, and _________________________.
2. How did Ying-Ying's rescuers determine she was not a beggar?
3. Jing-mei's mother ______________________________.
4. The winner of the American Mah Jong game takes home _________________________.
5. Jing-mei shocked the anger out of her mother by _______________________________________.
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)