|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ted is frustrated with Lena because ___________________________.
(a) She cannot make a decision
(b) She is still attached to her family
(c) She wants to control the relationship
(d) She does not like his mother
2. Lindo was forced to live with her future in-laws because ______________________________________.
(a) A flood wiped our her family's home
(b) She was too old to stay at home
(c) Her family disowned her
(d) Her dowry had gotten large enough
3. Lindo became aware of who she really was when ________________________________.
(a) She went to the river and slept
(b) Concentrated on becoming pregnant
(c) She first saw Tyan-yu
(d) She saw herself on her wedding day
4. When she was bored, Jing-mei ________________________________.
(a) Looked at herself in the mirro
(b) Read the Bible
(c) Watched her mother jump up to adjust the television
(d) Counted the foghorn bellows on the bay
5. The mother's superstitions may have been confirmed when ___________________________.
(a) The child made it around the corner
(b) The child's bike was broken
(c) The child fell from the bike
(d) The two argued about the dangers
6. The Twenty Six Malignant Gates is about _____________________________________________.
(a) The diseases that are contagious and looming outside
(b) The crime that lies beyond the gates
(c) The bad things that can happen outside the house's protection
(d) The dangers present when one travels on wheels
7. When she immigrated,what did Lena's father rename Ying-Ying?
8. Rose's mother, in exchange for Bing, gave to the ocean _____________________.
(a) A bamboo pole
(b) A sapphire ring
(c) Her teacup
(d) Her bible
9. Amah is Ying-Ying's ___________.
10. Waverly replaces the missing chess pieces with _____________________.
(a) Stones from the alley
(b) Ones she makes from dough
(d) Her brother's submarine figures
11. A man on the street leers and acts threatening to Lena's mother. Her mother feels this happened because ______________________________.
(a) She was pregnant
(b) She had her daughter with her
(c) She had dressed up too much
(d) Her life was out of balance
12. The white swan was purchased _____________________.
(a) In Shanghai
(b) In New York City
(c) In San Francisco
(d) Aboard the train
13. Jing-mei's piano recital was ___________________.
(d) A triumph
14. The swan represents to the old woman ____________________________.
(a) The beauty of nature
(b) All of her treasures and values
(c) Flight to a new land
(d) Freedom and a new life
15. Auntie had a tongue "like hungry scissors _________________________.
(a) cutting my confidence."
(b) tearing at the heart."
(c) eating silk cloth."
(d) cutting a colorless winter melon."
Short Answer Questions
1. An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" because _________________________________.
2. Popo says a girl who refused to listen to her elders ___________________________.
3. The woman intends to learn in America how to __________________________________.
4. A Chinese Santa Claus asked Waverly ______________________________________.
5. How was Ying-Ying rescued from the water?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)