|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The swan represents to the old woman ____________________________.
(a) All of her treasures and values
(b) Flight to a new land
(c) Freedom and a new life
(d) The beauty of nature
2. The mother appears certain that _________________________.
(a) The child will be obedient
(b) The child will fall
(c) The child will be captured
(d) The child will respect her wishes
3. When Lena's mother speaks to her in Chinese, Lena ____________________________________.
(a) Translates for her father accuratey and succinctly
(b) Does not repeat some of what her mother says
(c) Tries to pretend she does not understand
(d) Writes down everything and translates it later
4. Popo says a girl who refused to listen to her elders ___________________________.
(a) Grew a large white melon in her stomach
(b) Eventually poisoned herself
(c) Shook her brains out of her ear
(d) Turned into an overrripe squash
5. The Twenty Six Malignant Gates is about _____________________________________________.
(a) The crime that lies beyond the gates
(b) The bad things that can happen outside the house's protection
(c) The diseases that are contagious and looming outside
(d) The dangers present when one travels on wheels
6. Ying-Ying feels that both she and her grown daughter are ______________.
7. Waverly Jong's mother taught her early about ____________________________.
(a) How to shop
(b) Dim Sum
(c) Invisible strength
(d) Forbidden fruits
8. Lindo was able to convince her in-laws to end her marriage by ______________________________.
(a) Playing into their superstitions
(b) Crying and wailing
(c) Offering them all of her gold
(d) Being infertile
9. Waverly Jong learned the finer points of chess from ___________________.
(a) Hong Sing
(b) Lau Po
(c) Ping Yuen
(d) Winston Jong
10. Waverly's mother says Waverly's success can be attributed to _______________.
(c) The gods
11. What frightens Jing-mei the most is that _______________________________.
(a) She had no talent
(b) She did not believe in herself
(c) Her mother gave up hope
(d) She felt failure was inevitable
12. In addition to strategy, Waverly learns the finer points of ___________________________.
(a) Chess etiquette
(b) Choosing presents wisely
(c) Choosing her adversaries
(d) Being humble around men
13. Ying-Ying, or Betty, is consumed with ______________.
14. How did Jing-mei justify her defiance of her mother?
(a) She knows her mother is wrong
(b) Her mother had left her babies
(c) Obedience does not make talent
(d) They are in America, not China
15. When in China, the women of the Joy Luck Club were not allowed __________________________.
(a) Focus on winning
(b) To think a bad thought
(c) To drink more than one cup of tea
(d) To leave before sixteen hours were up
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ying-Ying's unspoken wish?
2. An-Mei's brother lost his happiness when _______________________________________-.
3. The child finally decides to ______________________.
4. The clothes Ying-Ying wears for the Moon Festival are ________________________.
5. In Chinese culture, respect for one's ancestors is called ___________.
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)