|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Very few guests attended Lindo's wedding because _______________________________.
(a) It was raining
(b) The wedding was not important to the village
(c) The Japanese had invaded the area
(d) :Lindo's future husband was not well-liked
2. The old woman who buys a swan eventually _____________________________.
(a) Gives the swan to her daughter
(b) Eats the swan to survive
(c) Takes the swan back to China
(d) Takes the swan to America
3. Waverly's mother pretending to understand chess is ____________________________.
(a) Her way of appearing bright to the neighbors
(b) Endearing to Waverly
(c) Her way of bonding with her daughter
(d) Annoying to Waverly
4. Between the child and mother there is a discernible sense of ______________________________.
(a) Disappointment and anger
(b) Strong communication
(c) Love and affection
(d) Bonding between them
5. Besides losing her name, Lena's mother lost ________________________.
(a) Her entire heritage
(b) Her friends
(c) Her entire dowry
(d) Her status in China
6. Waverly Jong learned the finer points of chess from ___________________.
(a) Hong Sing
(b) Ping Yuen
(c) Lau Po
(d) Winston Jong
7. Jing-mei, tired of being pushed by her mother, develops _______________________.
(a) Her talent as a pianist
(b) Her relationship with Waverly
(c) A loud voice
(d) A rebellious spirit
8. Tyan-Yu was _____________________________.
(a) Like a small child who never grew up
(b) An overbearing brute of a husband
(c) Much like a brave Chinese warrior
(d) A sex addict
9. In the city, a new type of thinking allows _________________________________.
(a) A man to choose his own wife
(b) Women to choose their husbands
(c) A woman to marry without permission
(d) People to live together unmarried
10. When Teresa and her family get over their anger, and hug and kiss, Lena ______________________________________.
(a) Wishes her mother would get angry
(b) Begins to have hope for her own life
(c) Is angry that she had to witness the fight
(d) Tells her father Teresa went down the fire escape
11. The mother's fear for her child is that _______________________________________.
(a) The child will become lost
(b) The child will be kidnapped by strangers
(c) The child will be struck by an automobile
(d) The child will fall down and she will not hear her cry
12. Lindo was able to convince her in-laws to end her marriage by ______________________________.
(a) Being infertile
(b) Crying and wailing
(c) Playing into their superstitions
(d) Offering them all of her gold
13. Suyuan Woo hoped her daughter _________________________________.
(a) Would grow up to be like her
(b) Would grow up to be a tax attorney
(c) Had a talent for playing piano
(d) Would not be like Waverly Jong
14. When Ying-Ying got dirty with turtle blood, Amah was afraid Ying-Ying's mother would _______________________________.
(a) Send them to Shang Hai
(b) Banish them from the village
(c) Split them up
(d) Banish them both to Kunming
15. The woman's plans for the swan involve _________________________________.
(a) Keeping it in America as a sacred pet
(b) Feasting on it when she reaches America
(c) Keeping it alive for good luck
(d) Giving the swan to her daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. The woman's feels her daughter __________________.
2. The mother appears certain that _________________________.
3. When in China, the women of the Joy Luck Club were not allowed __________________________.
4. Lindo Jong's family treated her ________________________________.
5. As national chess champion, Waverly is touted as __________________________.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)