|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lena learn that a new baby was coming?
(a) Her aunt and uncle told her
(b) Her father shared the news with her
(c) A used crib showed up in her bedroom
(d) Her mother sat down and explained it to her
2. The woman's plans for the swan involve _________________________________.
(a) Keeping it alive for good luck
(b) Keeping it in America as a sacred pet
(c) Feasting on it when she reaches America
(d) Giving the swan to her daughter
3. Lindo Jong is promised in marriage when she _________________________.
(a) Is twelve-years-old
(b) Is old enough to consent
(c) Is two-years-old
(d) Reaches adolescence
4. Waverly replaces the missing chess pieces with _____________________.
(a) Ones she makes from dough
(b) Her brother's submarine figures
(c) Stones from the alley
5. Rose realizes that fate is shaped half by expectation, and _________________________.
(a) Half by pride
(b) Half by the gods
(c) Half by negative thinking
(d) Half by inattention
6. The white swan was purchased _____________________.
(a) In Shanghai
(b) In San Francisco
(c) Aboard the train
(d) In New York City
7. The Mah Jong tiles are arranged into ___________________.
(a) Four columns
(b) Three stacks
(c) Four walls
(d) Three piles
8. The old woman who buys a swan eventually _____________________________.
(a) Eats the swan to survive
(b) Gives the swan to her daughter
(c) Takes the swan to America
(d) Takes the swan back to China
9. Between the child and mother there is a discernible sense of ______________________________.
(a) Strong communication
(b) Bonding between them
(c) Love and affection
(d) Disappointment and anger
10. Lena's great grandfather probably died from _____________________.
(a) Guilt and remorse
(b) Being drowned
(d) Being murdered
11. How was Ying-Ying rescued from the water?
(a) A snake held her above water
(b) Fishermen pulled her up in their net
(c) She was pulled ashore by brigands
(d) She swam to a fishing boat
12. The child's mother responds to the question about the twenty six gates, by _________________________________.
(a) Holding and rocking the child
(b) Dragging out an old Chinese book
(c) Silently ignoring the child's question
(d) Writing the bad things on paper
13. The old woman's daughter swallowed this, more than sorrow.
(c) Green tea
14. An-Mei lives in the house owned by ___________________________.
(a) Her uncle and aunt
(b) Her grandfather
(c) Her mother's husband
(d) Her grandmother
15. In this parable, the corner represents ________________________________.
(a) The turning point for the family
(b) The line between safety and danger
(c) The growth process of the child
(d) The mother's skewed anxiety
Short Answer Questions
1. An-Mei Hsu uses her Bible as ___________________________________.
2. Lindo's mother-in-law _______________________________.
3. The Twenty Six Malignant Gates is about _____________________________________________.
4. When she immigrated,what did Lena's father rename Ying-Ying?
5. Lindo became aware of who she really was when ________________________________.
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)