|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Waverly's mother pretending to understand chess is ____________________________.
(a) Annoying to Waverly
(b) Endearing to Waverly
(c) Her way of bonding with her daughter
(d) Her way of appearing bright to the neighbors
2. An-Mei's brother lost his happiness when _______________________________________-.
(a) His grandmother punished him for laughing
(b) His abusive aunt told him about his mother
(c) His father watched him from a painting
(d) His grandmother began to die
3. How did Ying-Ying's rescuers determine she was not a beggar?
(a) She was pale with soft feet
(b) She had on embroidered clothing
(c) Her manners were polished
(d) She did not speak but could only cry
4. Lindo was able to convince her in-laws to end her marriage by ______________________________.
(a) Playing into their superstitions
(b) Offering them all of her gold
(c) Crying and wailing
(d) Being infertile
5. The Twenty Six Malignant Gates is about _____________________________________________.
(a) The crime that lies beyond the gates
(b) The bad things that can happen outside the house's protection
(c) The diseases that are contagious and looming outside
(d) The dangers present when one travels on wheels
6. Jing-mei, tired of being pushed by her mother, develops _______________________.
(a) A rebellious spirit
(b) Her relationship with Waverly
(c) A loud voice
(d) Her talent as a pianist
7. Rose realizes that fate is shaped half by expectation, and _________________________.
(a) Half by negative thinking
(b) Half by inattention
(c) Half by the gods
(d) Half by pride
8. When Teresa and her family get over their anger, and hug and kiss, Lena ______________________________________.
(a) Tells her father Teresa went down the fire escape
(b) Is angry that she had to witness the fight
(c) Wishes her mother would get angry
(d) Begins to have hope for her own life
9. Lena's paranoia is increased by ___________________________________________.
(a) Someone on the fire escape
(b) Sirens screaming up and down the hill
(c) The sound of fighting in surrounding apartments
(d) The sounds of traffic and dogs outside
10. Lindo became aware of who she really was when ________________________________.
(a) She first saw Tyan-yu
(b) She saw herself on her wedding day
(c) Concentrated on becoming pregnant
(d) She went to the river and slept
11. Lindo was forced to live with her future in-laws because ______________________________________.
(a) Her dowry had gotten large enough
(b) She was too old to stay at home
(c) A flood wiped our her family's home
(d) Her family disowned her
12. An-Mei Hsu uses her Bible as ___________________________________.
(a) A stabilizer under the leg of her table
(b) An excuse for all of her bad experiences
(c) A crutch to try to be right about everything
(d) A family history
13. Jeing-mei learns that her mother's lost babies ______________________________________.
(a) Have been found alive and well
(b) Died a very poor woman
(c) Wished she had not raised her in America
(d) Died while searching for her lost babies
14. Waverly's anger toward her mother is because ________________________.
(a) She is too strict
(b) She is embarrassed
(c) She pushes her to play chess
(d) She favors her sons
15. In addition to strategy, Waverly learns the finer points of ___________________________.
(a) Chess etiquette
(b) Choosing presents wisely
(c) Being humble around men
(d) Choosing her adversaries
Short Answer Questions
1. The mother's fear for her child is that _______________________________________.
2. "Popo" is An-Mei's ________________________.
3. Lindo Jong's family treated her ________________________________.
4. Jing Mei is afraid that if she does not find the prodigy in herself she will _________________________-.
5. An-Mei lives in the house owned by ___________________________.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)