|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Ying-Ying feeling at the end of the Moon Lady play?
(a) Guilt for becoming lost from her family
(b) Fear over the enormity of the drama
(c) Despair for the Moon Lady's grief
(d) Hungry for the peach Moon Lady ate
2. Very few guests attended Lindo's wedding because _______________________________.
(a) It was raining
(b) The wedding was not important to the village
(c) :Lindo's future husband was not well-liked
(d) The Japanese had invaded the area
3. The pregnant servant girl became convinced that she ____________________________.
(a) Had caused Lindo's infertility
(b) Was in love with Tyan-yu
(c) Was of imperial ancestry
(d) Was doomed to live in poverty
4. Lena St. Clair's mother appears to be _______________________.
(a) Afraid of Lena
(b) Mentally ill
(d) Happy to be a mother
5. The child's mother responds to the question about the twenty six gates, by _________________________________.
(a) Holding and rocking the child
(b) Dragging out an old Chinese book
(c) Silently ignoring the child's question
(d) Writing the bad things on paper
6. Waverly was named after ____________________________.
(a) The street where she lived
(b) The local department store
(c) The boat her family came to America in
(d) The local pastry bakery
7. Rose's mother recorded Bing's death _______________________.
(a) By hiding the Bible
(b) With a flowery inscription
(c) With an erasable pencil
(d) With disappearing ink
8. The old woman who buys a swan eventually _____________________________.
(a) Takes the swan back to China
(b) Gives the swan to her daughter
(c) Eats the swan to survive
(d) Takes the swan to America
9. An army officer told Suyuan Woo _________________________________-.
(a) That her babies will be fine
(b) To hold on to her silk dresses
(c) To go to her husband in Chungking
(d) That the Japanese are losing the war
10. "Popo" is An-Mei's ________________________.
(a) Best friend
(c) Maternal grandmother
11. Jing Mei is afraid that if she does not find the prodigy in herself she will _________________________-.
(a) Not learn to play chess
(b) Not be able to compete with her cousin
(c) Always be nothing
(d) Not quite measure up
12. An-Mei Hsu uses her Bible as ___________________________________.
(a) An excuse for all of her bad experiences
(b) A family history
(c) A crutch to try to be right about everything
(d) A stabilizer under the leg of her table
13. An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" because _________________________________.
(a) She has deserted her children
(b) She is only a fourth wife
(c) She had children out of wedlock
(d) She has had too many children
14. The woman transported the swan ____________________________.
(a) From Hong Kong to Shanghai
(b) From New York to San Francisco
(c) From Shanghai to Kweilin
(d) From Shanghai to America
15. The Mah Jong tiles are arranged into ___________________.
(a) Three stacks
(b) Three piles
(c) Four columns
(d) Four walls
Short Answer Questions
1. The child finally decides to ______________________.
2. Jing-mei, tired of being pushed by her mother, develops _______________________.
3. The old woman wants to use perfect English to explain ________________________________.
4. The clothes Ying-Ying wears for the Moon Festival are ________________________.
5. Waverly's mother pretending to understand chess is ____________________________.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)