|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The swan represents to the old woman ____________________________.
(a) Freedom and a new life
(b) All of her treasures and values
(c) Flight to a new land
(d) The beauty of nature
2. Ying-Ying's family is __________________.
(a) A fishing family
(b) A boat family
(d) A poor family of servants
3. An army officer told Suyuan Woo _________________________________-.
(a) To hold on to her silk dresses
(b) That her babies will be fine
(c) That the Japanese are losing the war
(d) To go to her husband in Chungking
4. The pregnant servant girl became convinced that she ____________________________.
(a) Had caused Lindo's infertility
(b) Was doomed to live in poverty
(c) Was of imperial ancestry
(d) Was in love with Tyan-yu
5. Auntie had a tongue "like hungry scissors _________________________.
(a) cutting my confidence."
(b) cutting a colorless winter melon."
(c) tearing at the heart."
(d) eating silk cloth."
6. In Chinese culture, respect for one's ancestors is called ___________.
7. Amah is Ying-Ying's ___________.
8. The woman intends to learn in America how to __________________________________.
(a) Raise swans where they are free
(b) Speak perfect American English
(c) Open a business for Chinese
(d) Raise her own food
9. The white swan was purchased _____________________.
(a) In San Francisco
(b) In New York City
(c) Aboard the train
(d) In Shanghai
10. How did Jing-mei justify her defiance of her mother?
(a) Her mother had left her babies
(b) Obedience does not make talent
(c) They are in America, not China
(d) She knows her mother is wrong
11. The child finally decides to ______________________.
(a) Be a better child
(b) Run away from home
(c) Defy the mother
(d) Try a different route
12. When Ying-Ying got dirty with turtle blood, Amah was afraid Ying-Ying's mother would _______________________________.
(a) Banish them both to Kunming
(b) Split them up
(c) Banish them from the village
(d) Send them to Shang Hai
13. The winner of the American Mah Jong game takes home _________________________.
(a) City savings bonds
(c) Leftover food
(d) Stock certificates
14. How was Ying-Ying rescued from the water?
(a) Fishermen pulled her up in their net
(b) She was pulled ashore by brigands
(c) She swam to a fishing boat
(d) A snake held her above water
15. Mah Jong is __________________.
(a) A poker game
(b) Fortune telling
(c) A board game
(d) A word game
Short Answer Questions
1. Ying-Ying, or Betty, is consumed with ______________.
2. The Twenty Six Malignant Gates is about _____________________________________________.
3. Waverly's mother says Waverly's success can be attributed to _______________.
4. The Hsu family went to beach so that Rose's father could __________________________.
5. Jing-mei's mother ______________________________.
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)