|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The child finally decides to ______________________.
(a) Try a different route
(b) Run away from home
(c) Defy the mother
(d) Be a better child
2. Suyuan Woo's beautiful mah jong table was made of __________________.
(b) Hong mu
3. Ying Ying was disappointed to find out the Moon Lady in the play _________________________________.
(a) Was only an actress
(b) Was a figment of her imagination
(c) Could not grant wishes
(d) Was actually a man
4. An-Mei's brother lost his happiness when _______________________________________-.
(a) His grandmother punished him for laughing
(b) His grandmother began to die
(c) His abusive aunt told him about his mother
(d) His father watched him from a painting
5. A man on the street leers and acts threatening to Lena's mother. Her mother feels this happened because ______________________________.
(a) She had dressed up too much
(b) Her life was out of balance
(c) She was pregnant
(d) She had her daughter with her
6. An-Mei's mother shows up ___________________________.
(a) To reconcile with her children
(b) To help her mother in her illness
(c) To challenge An-Mei's aunt
(d) To retrieve An-Mei and her brother
7. Rose's mother, in exchange for Bing, gave to the ocean _____________________.
(a) A bamboo pole
(b) A sapphire ring
(c) Her bible
(d) Her teacup
8. The child in this parable is __________________.
(a) A seven-year-old boy
(b) A teenager
(d) A ten-year-old girl
9. Lindo became aware of who she really was when ________________________________.
(a) She first saw Tyan-yu
(b) She saw herself on her wedding day
(c) Concentrated on becoming pregnant
(d) She went to the river and slept
10. An army officer told Suyuan Woo _________________________________-.
(a) That the Japanese are losing the war
(b) That her babies will be fine
(c) To go to her husband in Chungking
(d) To hold on to her silk dresses
11. Amah is Ying-Ying's ___________.
12. Ying-Ying, or Betty, is consumed with ______________.
13. In her final attempt to find Bing, Rose's mother ___________________________________.
(a) Begs the Coiled Dragon to give him back
(b) Throws sweetened tea into the sea
(c) Tries to fish him out with a bamboo pole
(d) Throws an inner tube into the ocean for him
14. What was Ying-Ying's unspoken wish?
(a) To be found
(b) To be trusted
(c) To not be afraid
(d) To become old
15. Rose's mother recorded Bing's death _______________________.
(a) With disappearing ink
(b) With a flowery inscription
(c) By hiding the Bible
(d) With an erasable pencil
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ying-Ying got dirty with turtle blood, Amah was afraid Ying-Ying's mother would _______________________________.
2. Lena St. Clair's mother appears to be _______________________.
3. Waverly was named after ____________________________.
4. How did Lena learn that a new baby was coming?
5. As national chess champion, Waverly is touted as __________________________.
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)