|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Hsu family went to beach so that Rose's father could __________________________.
(a) Play with his children
(b) Spend time with his wife
(d) Fish in the ocean
2. An-Mei's mother left her behind in order to _____________________________________________.
(a) Let her have a life with her younger brother
(b) Have her raised by a woman who was more stable
(c) Save her from her new husband's disregard
(d) Save An-Mei from her own humiliated station in life
3. Ying Ying was disappointed to find out the Moon Lady in the play _________________________________.
(a) Was a figment of her imagination
(b) Was actually a man
(c) Was only an actress
(d) Could not grant wishes
4. The swan represents to the old woman ____________________________.
(a) All of her treasures and values
(b) Flight to a new land
(c) The beauty of nature
(d) Freedom and a new life
5. Ying-Ying, or Betty, is consumed with ______________.
6. The eternal aspect of Lindo's marriage was symbolized _________________________________.
(a) A ride through town on a palanquin
(b) A tea ceremony about eternity
(c) A ceremony with red scarves
(d) With a candle lit at both ends
7. Rose had to care for her brothers to learn ________________________.
(a) Parenting skills
(b) Yiding, or responsibility
(c) Water safety
(d) Fishing techniques
8. How did Ying-Ying's rescuers determine she was not a beggar?
(a) She had on embroidered clothing
(b) Her manners were polished
(c) She did not speak but could only cry
(d) She was pale with soft feet
9. Lena's paranoia is increased by ___________________________________________.
(a) The sounds of traffic and dogs outside
(b) The sound of fighting in surrounding apartments
(c) Someone on the fire escape
(d) Sirens screaming up and down the hill
10. The event that clouds An-Mei's early memory of her mother was _________________________________________________.
(a) She fell as she ran toward her mother
(b) She was severely burned as her mother was leaving
(c) She becomes convinced her that her mother was dead
(d) Her aunt slapped her face
11. The clothes Ying-Ying wears for the Moon Festival are ________________________.
(a) Tiger clothes
(b) Festival clothes
(c) Ritual clothes
(d) Five Evil clothes
12. What did Jing Mei guess was the capital of Finland?
(a) New York
13. Auntie had a tongue "like hungry scissors _________________________.
(a) cutting a colorless winter melon."
(b) cutting my confidence."
(c) eating silk cloth."
(d) tearing at the heart."
14. As national chess champion, Waverly is touted as __________________________.
(a) The funeral parlor's mascot
(b) The Great American Hope
(c) Bobby Fischer's best friend
(d) A poor child from Chinatown
15. Lena's great grandfather probably died from _____________________.
(b) Being murdered
(c) Guilt and remorse
(d) Being drowned
Short Answer Questions
1. Very few guests attended Lindo's wedding because _______________________________.
2. When she immigrated,what did Lena's father rename Ying-Ying?
3. Suyuan Woo's beautiful mah jong table was made of __________________.
4. In the city, a new type of thinking allows _________________________________.
5. Rose's mother admitted to God that _______________________.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)