|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to promote her fertility, Lindo was given ________________________.
(a) Gold and jewelry
(b) Scissors and sewing needles
(c) Polished dowry furniture
(d) Strong backrubs
2. In the city, a new type of thinking allows _________________________________.
(a) A man to choose his own wife
(b) A woman to marry without permission
(c) People to live together unmarried
(d) Women to choose their husbands
3. Rose realizes that fate is shaped half by expectation, and _________________________.
(a) Half by the gods
(b) Half by pride
(c) Half by inattention
(d) Half by negative thinking
4. Waverly Jong learned the finer points of chess from ___________________.
(a) Hong Sing
(b) Ping Yuen
(c) Lau Po
(d) Winston Jong
5. The token saved from the swan carries with it ________________________________.
(a) A promise that she would learn English
(b) All the luck the woman did not have in China
(c) All the woman's good intentions
(d) A fortune in memories
6. The child's mother responds to the question about the twenty six gates, by _________________________________.
(a) Dragging out an old Chinese book
(b) Silently ignoring the child's question
(c) Writing the bad things on paper
(d) Holding and rocking the child
7. Very few guests attended Lindo's wedding because _______________________________.
(a) It was raining
(b) :Lindo's future husband was not well-liked
(c) The Japanese had invaded the area
(d) The wedding was not important to the village
8. The woman's daughter speaks _______________________.
(a) A combination of foreign languages
(b) An unfamiliar dialect
(c) Only English
(d) Only Chinese
9. An-Mei Hsu grew up with ___________________________________.
(a) Her mother and father
(b) Her father and her little brother
(c) Her auntie and uncle
(d) Her grandmother and her little brother
10. What did Jing Mei guess was the capital of Finland?
(d) New York
11. Waverly was named after ____________________________.
(a) The local department store
(b) The boat her family came to America in
(c) The local pastry bakery
(d) The street where she lived
12. Popo says a girl who refused to listen to her elders ___________________________.
(a) Grew a large white melon in her stomach
(b) Eventually poisoned herself
(c) Shook her brains out of her ear
(d) Turned into an overrripe squash
13. The pregnant servant girl became convinced that she ____________________________.
(a) Had caused Lindo's infertility
(b) Was of imperial ancestry
(c) Was in love with Tyan-yu
(d) Was doomed to live in poverty
14. The old woman wants to use perfect English to explain ________________________________.
(a) Her reasons for leaving China
(b) Her sister's unfortunate situation
(c) The story of the swan to her daughter
(d) Her predicament to customs
15. The Hsu family had four sons and ______________________.
(a) Four daughters
(b) One daughter
(c) Two daughters
(d) Three daughters
Short Answer Questions
1. Jing-mei, tired of being pushed by her mother, develops _______________________.
2. An army officer told Suyuan Woo _________________________________-.
3. The woman's feels her daughter __________________.
4. When Lena's mother speaks to her in Chinese, Lena ____________________________________.
5. In her final attempt to find Bing, Rose's mother ___________________________________.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)