|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lindo became aware of who she really was when ________________________________.
(a) She went to the river and slept
(b) Concentrated on becoming pregnant
(c) She first saw Tyan-yu
(d) She saw herself on her wedding day
2. The old woman wants to use perfect English to explain ________________________________.
(a) The story of the swan to her daughter
(b) Her reasons for leaving China
(c) Her sister's unfortunate situation
(d) Her predicament to customs
3. What young Jing-Mei senses is that she will soon _________________________.
(a) Be a rock star
(b) Become perfect
(c) Be discovered
(d) Become invisible
4. The Hsu family had four sons and ______________________.
(a) One daughter
(b) Two daughters
(c) Four daughters
(d) Three daughters
5. When Lena's mother speaks to her in Chinese, Lena ____________________________________.
(a) Tries to pretend she does not understand
(b) Translates for her father accuratey and succinctly
(c) Does not repeat some of what her mother says
(d) Writes down everything and translates it later
6. How did Ying-Ying end up in the water?
(a) She was frightened by firecrackers
(b) The Moon Lady drew her in
(c) She tried to grab a swimming snake
(d) The little boys pushed her
7. Suyuan Woo's beautiful mah jong table was made of __________________.
(b) Hong mu
8. When Teresa and her family get over their anger, and hug and kiss, Lena ______________________________________.
(a) Begins to have hope for her own life
(b) Tells her father Teresa went down the fire escape
(c) Is angry that she had to witness the fight
(d) Wishes her mother would get angry
9. Ying-Ying's family is __________________.
(a) A boat family
(b) A fishing family
(c) A poor family of servants
10. In her final attempt to find Bing, Rose's mother ___________________________________.
(a) Throws sweetened tea into the sea
(b) Begs the Coiled Dragon to give him back
(c) Tries to fish him out with a bamboo pole
(d) Throws an inner tube into the ocean for him
11. The old woman's daughter swallowed this, more than sorrow.
(d) Green tea
12. Waverly was named after ____________________________.
(a) The boat her family came to America in
(b) The street where she lived
(c) The local pastry bakery
(d) The local department store
13. The Hsus find that their Chinese relatives do not want American gifts, but prefer ____________.
(a) Elegant luncheons
(c) Days in the mountains
(d) Picnics with the family
14. Lindo was able to convince her in-laws to end her marriage by ______________________________.
(a) Being infertile
(b) Crying and wailing
(c) Playing into their superstitions
(d) Offering them all of her gold
15. Rose's mother recorded Bing's death _______________________.
(a) By hiding the Bible
(b) With an erasable pencil
(c) With disappearing ink
(d) With a flowery inscription
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Ying-Ying rescued from the water?
2. Jing Mei is afraid that if she does not find the prodigy in herself she will _________________________-.
3. What was Ying-Ying's unspoken wish?
4. Ted is frustrated with Lena because ___________________________.
5. Rose had to care for her brothers to learn ________________________.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)