|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to strategy, Waverly learns the finer points of ___________________________.
(a) Choosing her adversaries
(b) Being humble around men
(c) Choosing presents wisely
(d) Chess etiquette
2. Lindo was able to convince her in-laws to end her marriage by ______________________________.
(a) Offering them all of her gold
(b) Playing into their superstitions
(c) Being infertile
(d) Crying and wailing
3. Lindo's mother-in-law _______________________________.
(a) Raised Lindo as her own child
(b) Isolated Lindo throughout her childhood
(c) Taught Lindo to be a good housewife
(d) Helped Lindo learn to read
4. The mother's fear for her child is that _______________________________________.
(a) The child will become lost
(b) The child will fall down and she will not hear her cry
(c) The child will be kidnapped by strangers
(d) The child will be struck by an automobile
5. Lena's paranoia is increased by ___________________________________________.
(a) Someone on the fire escape
(b) The sound of fighting in surrounding apartments
(c) Sirens screaming up and down the hill
(d) The sounds of traffic and dogs outside
6. Lena's great grandfather probably died from _____________________.
(b) Guilt and remorse
(c) Being murdered
(d) Being drowned
7. A man on the street leers and acts threatening to Lena's mother. Her mother feels this happened because ______________________________.
(a) She had her daughter with her
(b) She had dressed up too much
(c) She was pregnant
(d) Her life was out of balance
8. Lindo became aware of who she really was when ________________________________.
(a) Concentrated on becoming pregnant
(b) She first saw Tyan-yu
(c) She saw herself on her wedding day
(d) She went to the river and slept
9. Jing-mei's piano teacher is ________________________.
(a) Well known
(b) Deaf, like Beethoven
(d) Very attentive
10. An-Mei's brother lost his happiness when _______________________________________-.
(a) His grandmother punished him for laughing
(b) His abusive aunt told him about his mother
(c) His father watched him from a painting
(d) His grandmother began to die
11. The woman's plans for the swan involve _________________________________.
(a) Giving the swan to her daughter
(b) Keeping it in America as a sacred pet
(c) Keeping it alive for good luck
(d) Feasting on it when she reaches America
12. A Chinese Santa Claus asked Waverly ______________________________________.
(a) If she believed in Jesus and obeyed her parents
(b) If she had been good to her parents
(c) If she knew her proper age
(d) If she really believed in Santa Claus
13. Lindo Jong is promised in marriage when she _________________________.
(a) Is twelve-years-old
(b) Reaches adolescence
(c) Is old enough to consent
(d) Is two-years-old
14. Popo says a girl who refused to listen to her elders ___________________________.
(a) Shook her brains out of her ear
(b) Eventually poisoned herself
(c) Turned into an overrripe squash
(d) Grew a large white melon in her stomach
15. An-Mei lives in the house owned by ___________________________.
(a) Her uncle and aunt
(b) Her grandfather
(c) Her mother's husband
(d) Her grandmother
Short Answer Questions
1. The eternal aspect of Lindo's marriage was symbolized _________________________________.
2. Waverly's mother pretending to understand chess is ____________________________.
3. When in China, the women of the Joy Luck Club were not allowed __________________________.
4. The old woman wants to use perfect English to explain ________________________________.
5. When Lena's mother speaks to her in Chinese, Lena ____________________________________.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)