|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" because _________________________________.
(a) She had children out of wedlock
(b) She has had too many children
(c) She is only a fourth wife
(d) She has deserted her children
2. Waverly Jong's mother taught her early about ____________________________.
(a) Invisible strength
(b) Forbidden fruits
(c) Dim Sum
(d) How to shop
3. Ying-Ying feels that both she and her grown daughter are ______________.
4. The old woman who buys a swan eventually _____________________________.
(a) Takes the swan to America
(b) Takes the swan back to China
(c) Eats the swan to survive
(d) Gives the swan to her daughter
5. Suyuan Woo's husband leaves her to __________________________.
(a) Make his way to Shanghai
(b) Fight for the Chinese Army
(c) Defect to Japan
(d) Get far from Kweilin
6. An-Mei Hsu uses her Bible as ___________________________________.
(a) A crutch to try to be right about everything
(b) A stabilizer under the leg of her table
(c) A family history
(d) An excuse for all of her bad experiences
7. Rose was surprised that her mother had ___________________________.
(a) Left her father behind
(b) Given up on finding Bing
(c) Taken her bible on the search
(d) Learned how to drive
8. The child of this Chinese mother proves to be ______________________________.
(a) Strong willed and disrespectful
(b) Happy to stay where t is safe
(c) Slightly slow
(d) Happy and rambunctious
9. An-Mei's mother left her behind in order to _____________________________________________.
(a) Save An-Mei from her own humiliated station in life
(b) Have her raised by a woman who was more stable
(c) Let her have a life with her younger brother
(d) Save her from her new husband's disregard
10. Throughout the discussion between the mother and child, the mother continues to _______________.
(c) Rock in her chair
11. At the Mah Jong table, Suyuan Woo always sat _________________________-.
(a) Facing the east
(b) Straight and rigid
(c) Sideways on her chair
(d) Slumped in her chair
12. Suyuan Woo's beautiful mah jong table was made of __________________.
(c) Hong mu
13. Jing-mei's mother ______________________________.
(a) Sold the piano
(b) Had the piano tuned
(c) Got rid of the piano music
(d) Gave the piano back to Jing-Mei
14. A Chinese Santa Claus asked Waverly ______________________________________.
(a) If she had been good to her parents
(b) If she really believed in Santa Claus
(c) If she knew her proper age
(d) If she believed in Jesus and obeyed her parents
15. Tyan-Yu was _____________________________.
(a) An overbearing brute of a husband
(b) A sex addict
(c) Like a small child who never grew up
(d) Much like a brave Chinese warrior
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to promote her fertility, Lindo was given ________________________.
2. How was Ying-Ying rescued from the water?
3. The token saved from the swan carries with it ________________________________.
4. The winner of the American Mah Jong game takes home _________________________.
5. Very few guests attended Lindo's wedding because _______________________________.
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)