|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The child's mother responds to the question about the twenty six gates, by _________________________________.
(a) Dragging out an old Chinese book
(b) Writing the bad things on paper
(c) Holding and rocking the child
(d) Silently ignoring the child's question
2. The Twenty Six Malignant Gates is about _____________________________________________.
(a) The dangers present when one travels on wheels
(b) The crime that lies beyond the gates
(c) The bad things that can happen outside the house's protection
(d) The diseases that are contagious and looming outside
3. An-Mei's mother left her behind in order to _____________________________________________.
(a) Have her raised by a woman who was more stable
(b) Save An-Mei from her own humiliated station in life
(c) Let her have a life with her younger brother
(d) Save her from her new husband's disregard
4. Rose's mother admitted to God that _______________________.
(a) Their was an ancestral debt
(b) They had been careless
(c) Rose had not taught Bing manners
(d) She had sacred powers
5. Ying-Ying, or Betty, is consumed with ______________.
6. How was Ying-Ying rescued from the water?
(a) Fishermen pulled her up in their net
(b) She was pulled ashore by brigands
(c) She swam to a fishing boat
(d) A snake held her above water
7. When Ying-Ying got dirty with turtle blood, Amah was afraid Ying-Ying's mother would _______________________________.
(a) Send them to Shang Hai
(b) Banish them from the village
(c) Split them up
(d) Banish them both to Kunming
8. Lindo Jong's family treated her ________________________________.
(a) As though she was an unwanted child
(b) Like an orphan they cared for
(c) As though she were a ghost
(d) As though she belonged to someone else
9. Lena's great grandfather probably died from _____________________.
(a) Guilt and remorse
(b) Being murdered
(d) Being drowned
10. In addition to strategy, Waverly learns the finer points of ___________________________.
(a) Choosing presents wisely
(b) Being humble around men
(c) Chess etiquette
(d) Choosing her adversaries
11. As national chess champion, Waverly is touted as __________________________.
(a) A poor child from Chinatown
(b) The Great American Hope
(c) The funeral parlor's mascot
(d) Bobby Fischer's best friend
12. Jing-mei's mother ______________________________.
(a) Had the piano tuned
(b) Got rid of the piano music
(c) Sold the piano
(d) Gave the piano back to Jing-Mei
13. The Hsus find that their Chinese relatives do not want American gifts, but prefer ____________.
(b) Elegant luncheons
(c) Picnics with the family
(d) Days in the mountains
14. Filling out so many forms at customs, the woman _________________________________________.
(a) Forgot to take the swan with her
(b) Forgot where she was and became confused
(c) Accidentally left the swan aboard the ship
(d) Forgot why she had come and what she left behind
15. The child cannot read about the Malignant Gates because _______________________________.
(a) It is written in Chinese
(b) Her mother refuses to let her see the book
(c) It is far beyond her reading level
(d) It is adult reading, not meant for children
Short Answer Questions
1. Suyuan Woo hoped her daughter _________________________________.
2. In her final attempt to find Bing, Rose's mother ___________________________________.
3. Waverly's mother uses Waverly __________________________.
4. Waverly Jong's mother taught her early about ____________________________.
5. Amah is Ying-Ying's ___________.
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)