|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Suyuan Woo packed all of her belongings into a _________________.
(a) A back pack
(b) A kimono sling
(c) Four wheeled cart
2. The mother's fear for her child is that _______________________________________.
(a) The child will fall down and she will not hear her cry
(b) The child will be struck by an automobile
(c) The child will become lost
(d) The child will be kidnapped by strangers
3. The old woman wants to use perfect English to explain ________________________________.
(a) Her reasons for leaving China
(b) Her predicament to customs
(c) Her sister's unfortunate situation
(d) The story of the swan to her daughter
4. An-Mei's brother lost his happiness when _______________________________________-.
(a) His grandmother punished him for laughing
(b) His grandmother began to die
(c) His abusive aunt told him about his mother
(d) His father watched him from a painting
5. The symbolic burning of the Five Evils was actually ___________________________.
(a) A green coil of burning incense
(b) A box containing insects
(c) A cooling ritual
(d) A box with Five Evils inside
6. Ying-Ying feels that both she and her grown daughter are ______________.
7. Lena's paranoia is increased by ___________________________________________.
(a) The sound of fighting in surrounding apartments
(b) The sounds of traffic and dogs outside
(c) Someone on the fire escape
(d) Sirens screaming up and down the hill
8. In her final attempt to find Bing, Rose's mother ___________________________________.
(a) Tries to fish him out with a bamboo pole
(b) Throws an inner tube into the ocean for him
(c) Throws sweetened tea into the sea
(d) Begs the Coiled Dragon to give him back
9. When she was bored, Jing-mei ________________________________.
(a) Read the Bible
(b) Counted the foghorn bellows on the bay
(c) Watched her mother jump up to adjust the television
(d) Looked at herself in the mirro
10. How did Lena learn that a new baby was coming?
(a) Her aunt and uncle told her
(b) Her father shared the news with her
(c) A used crib showed up in her bedroom
(d) Her mother sat down and explained it to her
11. Mah Jong is __________________.
(a) Fortune telling
(b) A poker game
(c) A board game
(d) A word game
12. Jing-mei, tired of being pushed by her mother, develops _______________________.
(a) A loud voice
(b) Her relationship with Waverly
(c) Her talent as a pianist
(d) A rebellious spirit
13. Lindo was able to convince her in-laws to end her marriage by ______________________________.
(a) Being infertile
(b) Offering them all of her gold
(c) Playing into their superstitions
(d) Crying and wailing
14. Jing-mei's piano recital was ___________________.
(a) A triumph
15. How was Ying-Ying rescued from the water?
(a) Fishermen pulled her up in their net
(b) She was pulled ashore by brigands
(c) She swam to a fishing boat
(d) A snake held her above water
Short Answer Questions
1. The white swan was purchased _____________________.
2. The Mah Jong tiles are arranged into ___________________.
3. An-Mei lives in the house owned by ___________________________.
4. Auntie had a tongue "like hungry scissors _________________________.
5. Waverly's mother says Waverly's success can be attributed to _______________.
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)