|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Teresa and her family get over their anger, and hug and kiss, Lena ______________________________________.
(a) Begins to have hope for her own life
(b) Tells her father Teresa went down the fire escape
(c) Wishes her mother would get angry
(d) Is angry that she had to witness the fight
2. The child finally decides to ______________________.
(a) Try a different route
(b) Run away from home
(c) Defy the mother
(d) Be a better child
3. Jing Mei is afraid that if she does not find the prodigy in herself she will _________________________-.
(a) Not learn to play chess
(b) Not be able to compete with her cousin
(c) Always be nothing
(d) Not quite measure up
4. An-Mei's mother left her behind in order to _____________________________________________.
(a) Have her raised by a woman who was more stable
(b) Let her have a life with her younger brother
(c) Save her from her new husband's disregard
(d) Save An-Mei from her own humiliated station in life
5. Rose is afraid to tell her mother about her divorce because _______________________________________.
(a) She knows her mother will want her to fix the marriage
(b) She knows her mother will disown her
(c) Her mother warned her not to get married
(d) She does not want to confuse her
6. Lindo Jong is promised in marriage when she _________________________.
(a) Is old enough to consent
(b) Reaches adolescence
(c) Is twelve-years-old
(d) Is two-years-old
7. Waverly Jong's mother taught her early about ____________________________.
(a) Dim Sum
(b) Invisible strength
(c) How to shop
(d) Forbidden fruits
8. The Twenty Six Malignant Gates is about _____________________________________________.
(a) The dangers present when one travels on wheels
(b) The bad things that can happen outside the house's protection
(c) The diseases that are contagious and looming outside
(d) The crime that lies beyond the gates
9. Between the child and mother there is a discernible sense of ______________________________.
(a) Love and affection
(b) Bonding between them
(c) Disappointment and anger
(d) Strong communication
10. What did Jing Mei guess was the capital of Finland?
(b) New York
11. Waverly's mother uses Waverly __________________________.
(a) To preserve her Chinese customs
(b) As a source of pride
(c) To help with housework
(d) As a second income stream
12. In the city, a new type of thinking allows _________________________________.
(a) A woman to marry without permission
(b) People to live together unmarried
(c) A man to choose his own wife
(d) Women to choose their husbands
13. Rose's mother recorded Bing's death _______________________.
(a) With disappearing ink
(b) With an erasable pencil
(c) With a flowery inscription
(d) By hiding the Bible
14. Rose realizes that fate is shaped half by expectation, and _________________________.
(a) Half by pride
(b) Half by inattention
(c) Half by the gods
(d) Half by negative thinking
15. The child cannot read about the Malignant Gates because _______________________________.
(a) Her mother refuses to let her see the book
(b) It is adult reading, not meant for children
(c) It is far beyond her reading level
(d) It is written in Chinese
Short Answer Questions
1. The woman's daughter speaks _______________________.
2. Jing-mei's piano recital was ___________________.
3. Tyan-Yu was _____________________________.
4. The child in this parable is __________________.
5. The token saved from the swan carries with it ________________________________.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)