|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The mother's superstitions may have been confirmed when ___________________________.
(a) The child's bike was broken
(b) The two argued about the dangers
(c) The child made it around the corner
(d) The child fell from the bike
2. Tyan-Yu was _____________________________.
(a) A sex addict
(b) Like a small child who never grew up
(c) An overbearing brute of a husband
(d) Much like a brave Chinese warrior
3. The only father An-Mei knows is ___________________.
(a) Her uncle
(b) Popo's husband
(c) Her mother's husband
(d) The one in a large portrait
4. What did Jing Mei guess was the capital of Finland?
(c) New York
5. Waverly replaces the missing chess pieces with _____________________.
(a) Her brother's submarine figures
(c) Stones from the alley
(d) Ones she makes from dough
6. The child's mother responds to the question about the twenty six gates, by _________________________________.
(a) Holding and rocking the child
(b) Writing the bad things on paper
(c) Dragging out an old Chinese book
(d) Silently ignoring the child's question
7. A man on the street leers and acts threatening to Lena's mother. Her mother feels this happened because ______________________________.
(a) She had her daughter with her
(b) Her life was out of balance
(c) She had dressed up too much
(d) She was pregnant
8. What young Jing-Mei senses is that she will soon _________________________.
(a) Become invisible
(b) Become perfect
(c) Be a rock star
(d) Be discovered
9. Lindo was forced to live with her future in-laws because ______________________________________.
(a) A flood wiped our her family's home
(b) Her dowry had gotten large enough
(c) She was too old to stay at home
(d) Her family disowned her
10. How did Jing-mei justify her defiance of her mother?
(a) They are in America, not China
(b) Obedience does not make talent
(c) Her mother had left her babies
(d) She knows her mother is wrong
11. As national chess champion, Waverly is touted as __________________________.
(a) The Great American Hope
(b) Bobby Fischer's best friend
(c) The funeral parlor's mascot
(d) A poor child from Chinatown
12. Lindo's mother-in-law _______________________________.
(a) Helped Lindo learn to read
(b) Raised Lindo as her own child
(c) Taught Lindo to be a good housewife
(d) Isolated Lindo throughout her childhood
13. Which kind of daughter did Jing-mei's mother want?
(b) Free spirited
14. Suyuan Woo packed all of her belongings into a _________________.
(a) A kimono sling
(b) Four wheeled cart
(d) A back pack
15. How was Ying-Ying rescued from the water?
(a) Fishermen pulled her up in their net
(b) She was pulled ashore by brigands
(c) A snake held her above water
(d) She swam to a fishing boat
Short Answer Questions
1. The woman's plans for the swan involve _________________________________.
2. Auntie had a tongue "like hungry scissors _________________________.
3. The child in this parable is __________________.
4. Rose's mother, in exchange for Bing, gave to the ocean _____________________.
5. Jing Mei is afraid that if she does not find the prodigy in herself she will _________________________-.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)