|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lena learn that a new baby was coming?
(a) Her mother sat down and explained it to her
(b) A used crib showed up in her bedroom
(c) Her aunt and uncle told her
(d) Her father shared the news with her
2. The woman intends to learn in America how to __________________________________.
(a) Open a business for Chinese
(b) Speak perfect American English
(c) Raise her own food
(d) Raise swans where they are free
3. As national chess champion, Waverly is touted as __________________________.
(a) The Great American Hope
(b) A poor child from Chinatown
(c) The funeral parlor's mascot
(d) Bobby Fischer's best friend
4. What did Jing Mei guess was the capital of Finland?
(b) New York
5. Lena's family moves up in status by moving _____________________________.
(a) To Little Itay
(b) From Oakland to San Francisco
(c) To a Cantonese neighborhood
(d) From China to New York
6. Lena's paranoia is increased by ___________________________________________.
(a) The sounds of traffic and dogs outside
(b) The sound of fighting in surrounding apartments
(c) Sirens screaming up and down the hill
(d) Someone on the fire escape
7. The token saved from the swan carries with it ________________________________.
(a) A fortune in memories
(b) A promise that she would learn English
(c) All the woman's good intentions
(d) All the luck the woman did not have in China
8. In her final attempt to find Bing, Rose's mother ___________________________________.
(a) Tries to fish him out with a bamboo pole
(b) Throws an inner tube into the ocean for him
(c) Begs the Coiled Dragon to give him back
(d) Throws sweetened tea into the sea
9. Jing Mei is afraid that if she does not find the prodigy in herself she will _________________________-.
(a) Not be able to compete with her cousin
(b) Always be nothing
(c) Not quite measure up
(d) Not learn to play chess
10. Mah Jong is __________________.
(a) A board game
(b) A poker game
(c) A word game
(d) Fortune telling
11. Jing-mei, tired of being pushed by her mother, develops _______________________.
(a) A rebellious spirit
(b) Her relationship with Waverly
(c) Her talent as a pianist
(d) A loud voice
12. Rose's mother, in exchange for Bing, gave to the ocean _____________________.
(a) A bamboo pole
(b) Her teacup
(c) A sapphire ring
(d) Her bible
13. Jing-mei's piano teacher is ________________________.
(a) Very attentive
(b) Well known
(d) Deaf, like Beethoven
14. In Chinese culture, respect for one's ancestors is called ___________.
15. Lindo Jong is promised in marriage when she _________________________.
(a) Is twelve-years-old
(b) Is old enough to consent
(c) Reaches adolescence
(d) Is two-years-old
Short Answer Questions
1. Rose was surprised that her mother had ___________________________.
2. An-Mei's mother shows up ___________________________.
3. Lindo was able to convince her in-laws to end her marriage by ______________________________.
4. Ying-Ying, or Betty, is consumed with ______________.
5. Rose's mother recorded Bing's death _______________________.
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)