Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Twenty Six Malignant Gates is about _____________________________________________.
(a) The diseases that are contagious and looming outside
(b) The crime that lies beyond the gates
(c) The bad things that can happen outside the house's protection
(d) The dangers present when one travels on wheels
2. The Hsu family went to beach so that Rose's father could __________________________.
(a) Play with his children
(c) Fish in the ocean
(d) Spend time with his wife
3. When Teresa and her family get over their anger, and hug and kiss, Lena ______________________________________.
(a) Tells her father Teresa went down the fire escape
(b) Wishes her mother would get angry
(c) Is angry that she had to witness the fight
(d) Begins to have hope for her own life
4. Lena St. Clair's mother appears to be _______________________.
(a) Mentally ill
(c) Afraid of Lena
(d) Happy to be a mother
5. The eternal aspect of Lindo's marriage was symbolized _________________________________.
(a) A ride through town on a palanquin
(b) With a candle lit at both ends
(c) A ceremony with red scarves
(d) A tea ceremony about eternity
6. Rose was surprised that her mother had ___________________________.
(a) Taken her bible on the search
(b) Given up on finding Bing
(c) Left her father behind
(d) Learned how to drive
7. When she immigrated,what did Lena's father rename Ying-Ying?
8. When Lena's mother speaks to her in Chinese, Lena ____________________________________.
(a) Does not repeat some of what her mother says
(b) Tries to pretend she does not understand
(c) Writes down everything and translates it later
(d) Translates for her father accuratey and succinctly
9. Amah is Ying-Ying's ___________.
10. Lena's great grandfather probably died from _____________________.
(a) Being murdered
(c) Being drowned
(d) Guilt and remorse
11. Rose had to care for her brothers to learn ________________________.
(a) Parenting skills
(b) Water safety
(c) Fishing techniques
(d) Yiding, or responsibility
12. Very few guests attended Lindo's wedding because _______________________________.
(a) :Lindo's future husband was not well-liked
(b) The wedding was not important to the village
(c) It was raining
(d) The Japanese had invaded the area
13. The event that clouds An-Mei's early memory of her mother was _________________________________________________.
(a) Her aunt slapped her face
(b) She becomes convinced her that her mother was dead
(c) She fell as she ran toward her mother
(d) She was severely burned as her mother was leaving
14. When in China, the women of the Joy Luck Club were not allowed __________________________.
(a) To leave before sixteen hours were up
(b) To think a bad thought
(c) To drink more than one cup of tea
(d) Focus on winning
15. The pregnant servant girl became convinced that she ____________________________.
(a) Had caused Lindo's infertility
(b) Was in love with Tyan-yu
(c) Was doomed to live in poverty
(d) Was of imperial ancestry
Short Answer Questions
1. Rose is afraid to tell her mother about her divorce because _______________________________________.
2. Lena's family moves up in status by moving _____________________________.
3. How did Ying-Ying end up in the water?
4. Ted is frustrated with Lena because ___________________________.
5. When Ying-Ying got dirty with turtle blood, Amah was afraid Ying-Ying's mother would _______________________________.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)