|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lena's paranoia is increased by ___________________________________________.
(a) Sirens screaming up and down the hill
(b) Someone on the fire escape
(c) The sounds of traffic and dogs outside
(d) The sound of fighting in surrounding apartments
2. "Popo" is An-Mei's ________________________.
(a) Maternal grandmother
(d) Best friend
3. The Twenty Six Malignant Gates is about _____________________________________________.
(a) The diseases that are contagious and looming outside
(b) The dangers present when one travels on wheels
(c) The crime that lies beyond the gates
(d) The bad things that can happen outside the house's protection
4. Lindo's mother-in-law _______________________________.
(a) Helped Lindo learn to read
(b) Taught Lindo to be a good housewife
(c) Raised Lindo as her own child
(d) Isolated Lindo throughout her childhood
5. What did Jing Mei guess was the capital of Finland?
(b) New York
6. In the city, a new type of thinking allows _________________________________.
(a) A man to choose his own wife
(b) Women to choose their husbands
(c) A woman to marry without permission
(d) People to live together unmarried
7. Ying-Ying, or Betty, is consumed with ______________.
8. Lindo Jong is promised in marriage when she _________________________.
(a) Reaches adolescence
(b) Is old enough to consent
(c) Is twelve-years-old
(d) Is two-years-old
9. Suyuan Woo's husband leaves her to __________________________.
(a) Fight for the Chinese Army
(b) Make his way to Shanghai
(c) Get far from Kweilin
(d) Defect to Japan
10. The child finally decides to ______________________.
(a) Be a better child
(b) Try a different route
(c) Defy the mother
(d) Run away from home
11. In addition to strategy, Waverly learns the finer points of ___________________________.
(a) Chess etiquette
(b) Being humble around men
(c) Choosing presents wisely
(d) Choosing her adversaries
12. Ying Ying was disappointed to find out the Moon Lady in the play _________________________________.
(a) Was a figment of her imagination
(b) Could not grant wishes
(c) Was only an actress
(d) Was actually a man
13. The child's mother responds to the question about the twenty six gates, by _________________________________.
(a) Writing the bad things on paper
(b) Holding and rocking the child
(c) Dragging out an old Chinese book
(d) Silently ignoring the child's question
14. The white swan was purchased _____________________.
(a) Aboard the train
(b) In Shanghai
(c) In New York City
(d) In San Francisco
15. When she was bored, Jing-mei ________________________________.
(a) Read the Bible
(b) Counted the foghorn bellows on the bay
(c) Looked at herself in the mirro
(d) Watched her mother jump up to adjust the television
Short Answer Questions
1. The mother's superstitions may have been confirmed when ___________________________.
2. The woman's feels her daughter __________________.
3. Very few guests attended Lindo's wedding because _______________________________.
4. In order to promote her fertility, Lindo was given ________________________.
5. The child in this parable is __________________.
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)