|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Waverly replaces the missing chess pieces with _____________________.
(a) Ones she makes from dough
(c) Stones from the alley
(d) Her brother's submarine figures
2. Ying-Ying feels that both she and her grown daughter are ______________.
3. An-Mei's mother shows up ___________________________.
(a) To retrieve An-Mei and her brother
(b) To reconcile with her children
(c) To challenge An-Mei's aunt
(d) To help her mother in her illness
4. When she immigrated,what did Lena's father rename Ying-Ying?
5. An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" because _________________________________.
(a) She had children out of wedlock
(b) She is only a fourth wife
(c) She has had too many children
(d) She has deserted her children
6. The woman intends to learn in America how to __________________________________.
(a) Speak perfect American English
(b) Raise her own food
(c) Raise swans where they are free
(d) Open a business for Chinese
7. Ted is frustrated with Lena because ___________________________.
(a) She does not like his mother
(b) She wants to control the relationship
(c) She cannot make a decision
(d) She is still attached to her family
8. What young Jing-Mei senses is that she will soon _________________________.
(a) Be discovered
(b) Become perfect
(c) Be a rock star
(d) Become invisible
9. The woman transported the swan ____________________________.
(a) From New York to San Francisco
(b) From Shanghai to Kweilin
(c) From Shanghai to America
(d) From Hong Kong to Shanghai
10. The symbolic burning of the Five Evils was actually ___________________________.
(a) A box containing insects
(b) A cooling ritual
(c) A green coil of burning incense
(d) A box with Five Evils inside
11. The woman's daughter speaks _______________________.
(a) An unfamiliar dialect
(b) Only English
(c) Only Chinese
(d) A combination of foreign languages
12. Lena's paranoia is increased by ___________________________________________.
(a) The sounds of traffic and dogs outside
(b) Someone on the fire escape
(c) Sirens screaming up and down the hill
(d) The sound of fighting in surrounding apartments
13. Amah is Ying-Ying's ___________.
14. When Teresa and her family get over their anger, and hug and kiss, Lena ______________________________________.
(a) Is angry that she had to witness the fight
(b) Begins to have hope for her own life
(c) Wishes her mother would get angry
(d) Tells her father Teresa went down the fire escape
15. Popo says a girl who refused to listen to her elders ___________________________.
(a) Eventually poisoned herself
(b) Shook her brains out of her ear
(c) Grew a large white melon in her stomach
(d) Turned into an overrripe squash
Short Answer Questions
1. Lena's great grandfather probably died from _____________________.
2. Filling out so many forms at customs, the woman _________________________________________.
3. How did Ying-Ying's rescuers determine she was not a beggar?
4. Waverly's mother says Waverly's success can be attributed to _______________.
5. When Ying-Ying got dirty with turtle blood, Amah was afraid Ying-Ying's mother would _______________________________.
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)