Short Essay Questions
1. This parable is loaded with symbolism. Since the old woman paid a "foolish sum" for the swan, and then loses it, what might this symbolize?
2. The woman wishes for a daughter just like herself, but there are some caveats. Discuss the things she does not want for her daughter.
3. The imagery of the woman fluttering her arms when the swan is taken from her is sad. What does it imply?
4. Discuss why the woman has never told her daughter about the single feather she kept from the swan.
5. June Woo started the American Joy Luck Club because she sensed the grief in the other Chinese people she met here. How does the club help June Woo deal with her own tragic memories?
6. How could a woman with twin babies leave them at the side of the road?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)