|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Rose Hsu Jordan, "Without Wood".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Suyuan Woo hoped her daughter _________________________________.
(a) Had a talent for playing piano
(b) Would grow up to be a tax attorney
(c) Would grow up to be like her
(d) Would not be like Waverly Jong
2. The clothes Ying-Ying wears for the Moon Festival are ________________________.
(a) Five Evil clothes
(b) Ritual clothes
(c) Tiger clothes
(d) Festival clothes
3. A man on the street leers and acts threatening to Lena's mother. Her mother feels this happened because ______________________________.
(a) Her life was out of balance
(b) She had dressed up too much
(c) She was pregnant
(d) She had her daughter with her
4. The child's mother responds to the question about the twenty six gates, by _________________________________.
(a) Holding and rocking the child
(b) Dragging out an old Chinese book
(c) Silently ignoring the child's question
(d) Writing the bad things on paper
5. As national chess champion, Waverly is touted as __________________________.
(a) The Great American Hope
(b) Bobby Fischer's best friend
(c) A poor child from Chinatown
(d) The funeral parlor's mascot
Short Answer Questions
1. Lena's father's heritage is __________________.
2. Waverly was named after ____________________________.
3. The white swan was purchased _____________________.
4. This daughter is tired of her mother's habit of ______________________________.
5. The mother's superstitions may have been confirmed when ___________________________.
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)