|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Rose Hsu Jordan, "Without Wood".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The vase that breaks in the bedroom symbolizes _____________________________.
(a) Harold's insensitivity
(b) Lena and Harold's marriage
(c) Lena's mother's prophecy
(d) The separation of two halves
2. Waverly had to become ill before her mother would _____________________________-.
(a) Speak to her again
(b) Feed her again
(c) Encourage her to play
(d) Forbid her to play
3. When Lena's mother speaks to her in Chinese, Lena ____________________________________.
(a) Does not repeat some of what her mother says
(b) Tries to pretend she does not understand
(c) Translates for her father accuratey and succinctly
(d) Writes down everything and translates it later
4. The old woman wants to use perfect English to explain ________________________________.
(a) Her predicament to customs
(b) Her reasons for leaving China
(c) The story of the swan to her daughter
(d) Her sister's unfortunate situation
5. "Popo" is An-Mei's ________________________.
(b) Maternal grandmother
(c) Best friend
Short Answer Questions
1. Ying-Ying, or Betty, is consumed with ______________.
2. Throughout the discussion between the mother and child, the mother continues to _______________.
3. Why did Lena feel she caused Arnold's death?
4. Rose's mother recorded Bing's death _______________________.
5. At lunch together, Waverly's mother _____________________________________.
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)