|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Rose Hsu Jordan, "Half and Half".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The woman transported the swan ____________________________.
(a) From New York to San Francisco
(b) From Hong Kong to Shanghai
(c) From Shanghai to Kweilin
(d) From Shanghai to America
2. Waverly's anger toward her mother is because ________________________.
(a) She is too strict
(b) She favors her sons
(c) She is embarrassed
(d) She pushes her to play chess
3. Waverly's mother pretending to understand chess is ____________________________.
(a) Annoying to Waverly
(b) Endearing to Waverly
(c) Her way of appearing bright to the neighbors
(d) Her way of bonding with her daughter
4. Lena's family moves up in status by moving _____________________________.
(a) From China to New York
(b) From Oakland to San Francisco
(c) To Little Itay
(d) To a Cantonese neighborhood
5. The eternal aspect of Lindo's marriage was symbolized _________________________________.
(a) A ceremony with red scarves
(b) A tea ceremony about eternity
(c) With a candle lit at both ends
(d) A ride through town on a palanquin
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to promote her fertility, Lindo was given ________________________.
2. Waverly was named after ____________________________.
3. When Lena's mother speaks to her in Chinese, Lena ____________________________________.
4. When in China, the women of the Joy Luck Club were not allowed __________________________.
5. The mother's fear for her child is that _______________________________________.
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)