|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, An-Mei Hsu, "Scar".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The swan represents to the old woman ____________________________.
(a) All of her treasures and values
(b) Freedom and a new life
(c) Flight to a new land
(d) The beauty of nature
2. Suyuan Woo packed all of her belongings into a _________________.
(a) A back pack
(b) A kimono sling
(d) Four wheeled cart
3. The old woman who buys a swan eventually _____________________________.
(a) Gives the swan to her daughter
(b) Eats the swan to survive
(c) Takes the swan to America
(d) Takes the swan back to China
4. An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" because _________________________________.
(a) She has deserted her children
(b) She is only a fourth wife
(c) She had children out of wedlock
(d) She has had too many children
5. When in China, the women of the Joy Luck Club were not allowed __________________________.
(a) Focus on winning
(b) To think a bad thought
(c) To drink more than one cup of tea
(d) To leave before sixteen hours were up
Short Answer Questions
1. The white swan was purchased _____________________.
2. The old woman wants to use perfect English to explain ________________________________.
3. At the Mah Jong table, Suyuan Woo always sat _________________________-.
4. The event that clouds An-Mei's early memory of her mother was _________________________________________________.
5. In Chinese culture, respect for one's ancestors is called ___________.
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)