|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, An-Mei Hsu, "Scar".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An army officer told Suyuan Woo _________________________________-.
(a) To hold on to her silk dresses
(b) To go to her husband in Chungking
(c) That the Japanese are losing the war
(d) That her babies will be fine
2. When in China, the women of the Joy Luck Club were not allowed __________________________.
(a) To think a bad thought
(b) Focus on winning
(c) To leave before sixteen hours were up
(d) To drink more than one cup of tea
3. The white swan was purchased _____________________.
(a) Aboard the train
(b) In San Francisco
(c) In Shanghai
(d) In New York City
4. An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" because _________________________________.
(a) She had children out of wedlock
(b) She has deserted her children
(c) She has had too many children
(d) She is only a fourth wife
5. The swan represents to the old woman ____________________________.
(a) Flight to a new land
(b) The beauty of nature
(c) All of her treasures and values
(d) Freedom and a new life
Short Answer Questions
1. "Popo" is An-Mei's ________________________.
2. Suyuan Woo's husband leaves her to __________________________.
3. The old woman's daughter swallowed this, more than sorrow.
4. In Chinese culture, respect for one's ancestors is called ___________.
5. The token saved from the swan carries with it ________________________________.
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)