|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, An-Mei Hsu, "Scar".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" because _________________________________.
(a) She has deserted her children
(b) She is only a fourth wife
(c) She had children out of wedlock
(d) She has had too many children
2. The woman intends to learn in America how to __________________________________.
(a) Speak perfect American English
(b) Open a business for Chinese
(c) Raise swans where they are free
(d) Raise her own food
3. Auntie had a tongue "like hungry scissors _________________________.
(a) cutting my confidence."
(b) eating silk cloth."
(c) cutting a colorless winter melon."
(d) tearing at the heart."
4. The only father An-Mei knows is ___________________.
(a) Her uncle
(b) Her mother's husband
(c) Popo's husband
(d) The one in a large portrait
5. An army officer told Suyuan Woo _________________________________-.
(a) That her babies will be fine
(b) To hold on to her silk dresses
(c) That the Japanese are losing the war
(d) To go to her husband in Chungking
Short Answer Questions
1. When in China, the women of the Joy Luck Club were not allowed __________________________.
2. Filling out so many forms at customs, the woman _________________________________________.
3. In Chinese culture, respect for one's ancestors is called ___________.
4. The old woman's daughter swallowed this, more than sorrow.
5. An-Mei's mother left her behind in order to _____________________________________________.
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)