|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4, An-Mei Hsu, "Magpies".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lena's eating problem manifest itself?
(a) She became anorexic
(b) Her mother's sack lunches made her sick
(c) Her hatred consumed her
(d) Her skin broke out like leprosy
2. A man on the street leers and acts threatening to Lena's mother. Her mother feels this happened because ______________________________.
(a) Her life was out of balance
(b) She had her daughter with her
(c) She had dressed up too much
(d) She was pregnant
3. The eternal aspect of Lindo's marriage was symbolized _________________________________.
(a) A ceremony with red scarves
(b) With a candle lit at both ends
(c) A tea ceremony about eternity
(d) A ride through town on a palanquin
4. The child cannot read about the Malignant Gates because _______________________________.
(a) It is written in Chinese
(b) It is far beyond her reading level
(c) It is adult reading, not meant for children
(d) Her mother refuses to let her see the book
5. The vase that breaks in the bedroom symbolizes _____________________________.
(a) Lena's mother's prophecy
(b) Harold's insensitivity
(c) Lena and Harold's marriage
(d) The separation of two halves
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the jade pendant symbolize?
2. Waverly's mother says Waverly's success can be attributed to _______________.
3. Amah is Ying-Ying's ___________.
4. When Lena's mother speaks to her in Chinese, Lena ____________________________________.
5. What did Jing Mei guess was the capital of Finland?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)