|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4, An-Mei Hsu, "Magpies".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Throughout the discussion between the mother and child, the mother continues to _______________.
(a) Rock in her chair
2. What frightens Jing-mei the most is that _______________________________.
(a) She felt failure was inevitable
(b) She had no talent
(c) She did not believe in herself
(d) Her mother gave up hope
3. Auntie had a tongue "like hungry scissors _________________________.
(a) tearing at the heart."
(b) eating silk cloth."
(c) cutting my confidence."
(d) cutting a colorless winter melon."
4. The event that clouds An-Mei's early memory of her mother was _________________________________________________.
(a) She was severely burned as her mother was leaving
(b) She becomes convinced her that her mother was dead
(c) She fell as she ran toward her mother
(d) Her aunt slapped her face
5. An-Mei's brother lost his happiness when _______________________________________-.
(a) His grandmother began to die
(b) His abusive aunt told him about his mother
(c) His grandmother punished him for laughing
(d) His father watched him from a painting
Short Answer Questions
1. Jing-mei, tired of being pushed by her mother, develops _______________________.
2. Suyuan Woo feels that by wearing the jade pendant, Jing-mei will _____________________________.
3. Waverly has an ignorant fear of Jing-mei's hairdresser _______________________________.
4. How did Jing-mei justify her defiance of her mother?
5. Rose finds the imagery of Ted doing monkey business __________________.
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)