|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Lena St. Clair, "Rice Husband".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Ying-Ying end up in the water?
(a) The Moon Lady drew her in
(b) The little boys pushed her
(c) She was frightened by firecrackers
(d) She tried to grab a swimming snake
2. How was Ying-Ying rescued from the water?
(a) Fishermen pulled her up in their net
(b) She was pulled ashore by brigands
(c) A snake held her above water
(d) She swam to a fishing boat
3. Why did Lena feel she caused Arnold's death?
(a) She ate all of her rice
(b) Because she wounded him emotionally
(c) She compared him to lepers
(d) She intended for him to die
4. An-Mei's mother left her behind in order to _____________________________________________.
(a) Have her raised by a woman who was more stable
(b) Save An-Mei from her own humiliated station in life
(c) Save her from her new husband's disregard
(d) Let her have a life with her younger brother
5. As national chess champion, Waverly is touted as __________________________.
(a) A poor child from Chinatown
(b) The funeral parlor's mascot
(c) Bobby Fischer's best friend
(d) The Great American Hope
Short Answer Questions
1. The vase that breaks in the bedroom symbolizes _____________________________.
2. Waverly Jong's mother taught her early about ____________________________.
3. An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" because _________________________________.
4. What was Ying-Ying's unspoken wish?
5. A Chinese Santa Claus asked Waverly ______________________________________.
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)