|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Lena St. Clair, "Rice Husband".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Waverly's mother pretending to understand chess is ____________________________.
(a) Endearing to Waverly
(b) Her way of bonding with her daughter
(c) Her way of appearing bright to the neighbors
(d) Annoying to Waverly
2. An-Mei's mother is considered a "ghost" because _________________________________.
(a) She had children out of wedlock
(b) She is only a fourth wife
(c) She has had too many children
(d) She has deserted her children
3. In Chinese culture, respect for one's ancestors is called ___________.
4. An-Mei Hsu uses her Bible as ___________________________________.
(a) A family history
(b) A stabilizer under the leg of her table
(c) A crutch to try to be right about everything
(d) An excuse for all of her bad experiences
5. An-Mei's mother left her behind in order to _____________________________________________.
(a) Save her from her new husband's disregard
(b) Let her have a life with her younger brother
(c) Have her raised by a woman who was more stable
(d) Save An-Mei from her own humiliated station in life
Short Answer Questions
1. Ying-Ying feels that both she and her grown daughter are ______________.
2. Waverly's anger toward her mother is because ________________________.
3. An-Mei Hsu grew up with ___________________________________.
4. Lena is certain her mother is able to _________________________.
5. The Hsu family went to beach so that Rose's father could __________________________.
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)