Part 1, Parable
• In Shanghai, an old woman buys a swan that is too beautiful to eat.
• The woman takes the swan and sails from China.
• The woman plans to have a daughter who will speak perfect English and never know sorrow.
• The woman arrives in America.
• Immigration officers take her swan, leaving her with one feather.
• The woman fills out many forms.
• The woman has a daughter who speaks perfect English and knows no sorrows.
• The woman waits until she can learn perfect English to tell her daughter her story.
• The woman never learns perfect English.
Part 1, Jing-Mei Woo, "The Joy Luck Club"
• Jing-mei (June) Woo's father asks her to take her mother's place as fourth player in the Joy Luck Club.
• Suyuan Woo started the club in San Francisco in 1949.
• As members of the Chinese first Baptist Church, the Woos befriend the Hsus, Jongs, and...
This section contains 2,456 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)