Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Part 1, Parable Abstract
* In Shanghai, an old woman buys a swan that is too beautiful to eat.
* The woman takes the swan and sails from China.
* The woman plans to have a daughter who will speak perfect English and never know sorrow.
* The woman arrives in America.
* Immigration officers take her swan, leaving her with one...
This section contains 2,660 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)