|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carl end up with a job at the lamp factory?
2. Where does Annie decide to deliver her baby?
3. How does Annie feel when Carl sells back his textbooks in Chapter 18?
4. When Annie buys a carriage, what does Carl think?
5. What does Annie confess to Carl in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Annie when she goes to the hospital to deliver her baby?
2. What happens when Carl oversleeps in Chapter 19?
3. How does Annie feel about using formula to feed Carlton?
4. Who do Carl and Annie first tell about Carlton's birth?
5. How does Annie feel during the last day of her play writing class?
6. How does Carl feel about the name Carlton for his son?
7. How does Annie convince Carl not to be jealous in Chapter 20?
8. Why does Annie decide to deliver her baby at the university hospital?
9. How does the coach help advise Carl on buying a carriage?
10. In Chapter 19, what does Carl do at the high school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of financial struggle throughout "Joy in the Morning." How does this author comment on this theme? How does this theme develop both the characters and the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the motivations of at least three characters.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the ways the author uses and describes the various jobs Annie and Carl have. What is the author's commentary on employment? How can employment work as a theme in this text?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)