|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Annie think Carl is so moody in Lopin?
2. How does Annie feel when Carl comes home with the new carriage?
3. Why does Carl apply for a student loan in Chapter 13?
4. Why does Aggie warn Annie against forming a friendship with Goldie?
5. Why does Carl borrow Annie's alarm clock?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the coach help advise Carl on buying a carriage?
2. How does Annie feel during the last day of her play writing class?
3. What happens to Annie when she goes to the hospital to deliver her baby?
4. What do Carl and Annie do when money for food runs out?
5. What happens when Carl applies for work at a lamp factory?
6. How does Carl feel about his job at the lamp factory?
7. In Chapter 15, what worries does Carl express to Annie?
8. What happens when Annie buys a carriage?
9. How does Carl feel about the name Carlton for his son?
10. Why does Carl see the dean in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the motivations of at least three characters.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two of the settings in this novel. Consider the impact of each setting on the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the ways the author uses and describes the various jobs Annie and Carl have. What is the author's commentary on employment? How can employment work as a theme in this text?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)