|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie do when she runs out of money for food?
2. What book does Annie buy and read in Chapter 18?
3. How does Annie describe Mr. Byrd in Chapter 20?
4. What bothers Carl about Annie calling the baby "hers"?
5. How does Annie feel when she watches Carl play with Les?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 19, what does Carl do at the high school?
2. Why does Annie decide to deliver her baby at the university hospital?
3. How does the coach help advise Carl on buying a carriage?
4. How does Carl feel about the name Carlton for his son?
5. How does Annie feel about using formula to feed Carlton?
6. How does Annie convince Carl not to be jealous in Chapter 20?
7. How does the dean help Carl in Chapter 24?
8. What happens when Carl oversleeps in Chapter 19?
9. What happens when Annie buys a carriage?
10. What are Carl's plans for the summer of Annie's pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the author's use of a narrator in this novel. What type of narrator is used? What is the benefit to this? What is the downside?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of struggle as it is presented in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the ways the author uses and describes the various jobs Annie and Carl have. What is the author's commentary on employment? How can employment work as a theme in this text?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)