|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, how does Mr. Felix insult Annie?
2. Where does Aggie work in Lopin?
3. After Annie leaves the room in Chapter 4, why can't Carl study?
4. In Chapter 5, how does Carl say he feels about his mother's response to his marriage?
5. What does Carl say about Bev Karter when Annie says she will be working for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what does Annie reveal about her family?
2. What happens the first time Carl takes Annie to the cafeteria where he works?
3. What agreement do Carl and Annie make their first Christmas together?
4. What does the grocer do for his birthday each year?
5. What happens when Carl tells tells Annie he plans on taking time off of school in Chapter 4?
6. In Chapter 6, how does Annie feel about the town where she now lives?
7. What jobs does Annie find in Chapter 8?
8. Why does Carl decide to stop going to school in Chapter 4?
9. In Chapter 11, how is Lopin described?
10. What do Carl and Annie do their first Christmas day together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the gender roles and expectations within "Joy in the Morning"? How are these fulfilled? How are they ignored?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the ways the author uses and describes the various jobs Annie and Carl have. What is the author's commentary on employment? How can employment work as a theme in this text?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Annie's education throughout this novel. Where does it come from? What impact does it have on her? Why is Annie's education significant?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)