|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carl's mother threaten to do if he marries Annie?
2. How does Annie try to help Carl relieve the pressure from his mother in Chapter 5?
3. How does Carl respond to Annie's new hair in Chapter 6?
4. Where did Carl grow up?
5. What does Annie learn to make while living in Lopin?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what does Annie reveal about her family?
2. In Chapter 6, what does Carl's mother write in a letter to Carl?
3. How do Carl and Annie plan on dealing with their financial situation after they are married?
4. In Chapter 3, what interaction does Annie have with Mr. Byrd?
5. Why do Annie and Carl move to Lopin?
6. How does Carl feel about the first decorations Annie brings into their room?
7. What does Annie worry about after quitting Bev's?
8. What do Carl and Annie do their first Christmas day together?
9. What happens at Ms. Hansom's on Carl and Annie's wedding night?
10. What does Annie do when she fears she is pregnant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the ways the author uses and describes the various jobs Annie and Carl have. What is the author's commentary on employment? How can employment work as a theme in this text?
Essay Topic 2
Does the ending of "Joy in the Morning" resolve any of the conflicts introduced throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast some of Annie's friendships she makes in this novel. How do they develop? What is their purpose? How do they end?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)