|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Carl and Annie fall asleep the night they are married?
2. What does Annie buy when she gets her money from the bank with interest?
3. Where do many of the people in Lopin work?
4. Who offers Carl a free rent cottage in Lopin?
5. Who does Annie say she misses when she is alone in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what does Carl's mother write in a letter to Carl?
2. In Chapter 6, how does Annie feel about the town where she now lives?
3. What agreement do Carl and Annie make their first Christmas together?
4. What does Annie hear Bev and her male friend talk about that makes Annie quit her job?
5. What does Annie do when she hears the literature class in Chapter 7?
6. What does the grocer do for his birthday each year?
7. Why does the justice of the peace have a problem marrying Carl and Annie?
8. In Chapter 11, how is Lopin described?
9. What happens the first time Carl takes Annie to the cafeteria where he works?
10. What does Carl's mother write to him in a letter in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of financial struggle throughout "Joy in the Morning." How does this author comment on this theme? How does this theme develop both the characters and the plot?
Essay Topic 2
How does "Joy in the Morning" work to define parenthood?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Annie's education throughout this novel. Where does it come from? What impact does it have on her? Why is Annie's education significant?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)