|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carl do after being denied work at the lamp factory?
(a) He asks his mother for money.
(b) He pawns his watch.
(c) He takes out a loan.
(d) He begs the owner for a job.
2. How does Annie feel when Carl asks to borrow her alarm clock?
3. How does Annie want to spend the five dollars Carl earns in Chapter 20?
(a) On going out to eat.
(b) On a baby carriage.
(c) On new clothes.
(d) On food.
4. In Chapter 19, why does Carl miss a check at the factory?
(a) He was in the bathroom.
(b) He leaves early.
(c) He was helping someone else at work.
(d) He oversleeps.
5. Why doesn't Annie take classes during the summer?
(a) She wants to rest.
(b) She doesn't have the money.
(c) She is bored with classes.
(d) She is afraid to be seen.
6. In Chapter 16, what does Annie learn will be delayed?
(a) The publication of a collection of plays.
(b) The opening of her professor's play.
(c) Her doctor's appointment.
(d) Carl's summer classes.
7. What does Annie confess to Carl in Chapter 23?
(a) That she wanted a girl.
(b) That she wants to write a novel.
(c) That she was afraid during her labor.
(d) That she wants another baby.
8. During Annie's first gynecological exam, what does Annie insist Carl do?
(a) Ask all the questions.
(b) Hold her hand.
(c) Take notes.
(d) Wait in the waiting room.
9. What does Annie do when she runs out of money for food?
(a) Pawns her jewelry.
(b) Cashes out her bank account.
(c) Finds a second job.
(d) Asks her mother for money.
10. How does Annie's mother respond when Annie asks for support during the pregnancy?
(a) She doesn't give any.
(b) She sends a check.
(c) She sends Annie a train ticket.
(d) She offers to move to Lodin.
11. How does Annie feel when Carl comes home with the new carriage?
12. Where does Annie decide to deliver her baby?
(a) At home.
(b) At a private hospital.
(c) At the university hospital.
(d) At a midwife center.
13. In Chapter 13, what is dean's reaction to Annie's writing?
(a) He criticizes it.
(b) He commends it.
(c) He doesn't read her writing.
(d) He is indifferent about it.
14. In Chapter 23, how long has it been since Annie delivered the baby?
(d) Annie can't tell.
15. What does Annie's play writing professor announce during their last class?
(a) That one of her plays will be published.
(b) That he is offering a second part to the course.
(c) That he needs to hire an assistant.
(d) That he is retiring.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Annie buys a carriage, what does Carl think?
2. Who does Annie write a long letter to after Carlton is born?
3. How many medical interns assist the doctor during Annie's labor?
4. What happens to Carl when he misses a check at the factory in Chapter 19?
5. Why does Carl start smoking a pipe?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)