|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Annie describe Mr. Byrd in Chapter 20?
2. How does Carl react when he feels the baby move for the first time?
(a) He gets excited.
(b) He becomes worried.
(c) He cries.
(d) He screams.
3. When Annie buys a carriage, what does Carl think?
(a) That it's too girly.
(b) That it's a good buy.
(c) That it's too big.
(d) That it's a waste of money.
4. What does Annie do when she runs out of money for food?
(a) Finds a second job.
(b) Cashes out her bank account.
(c) Pawns her jewelry.
(d) Asks her mother for money.
5. What book does Annie buy and read in Chapter 18?
(a) War and Peace.
(b) Wuthering Heights.
(c) Atlas Shrugged.
6. How does Annie describe her summer in Chapter 16?
7. Why does Aggie warn Annie against forming a friendship with Goldie?
(a) She steals.
(b) She lives with her boyfriend.
(c) She lies.
(d) She disappears sometimes.
8. In Chapter 17, what side work does Carl find?
(b) Giving legal advice.
(c) Drafting a will.
(d) Running estate sales.
9. What does Annie discover makes her baby move around a lot?
10. Who offers to drive Annie to the hospital when she is ready to deliver the baby?
(a) The high school coach.
(b) The high school principal.
(c) The dean.
(d) Annie's nurse.
11. What does Carl worry about happening to Jello?
(a) That he'll bite Annie.
(b) That he'll dislike the baby.
(c) That he'll run away.
(d) That he'll get sick.
12. What makes Carl not want to apply for a job at the lamp factory?
(a) The pay is meager.
(b) It's demeaning work.
(c) The hours are long.
(d) Only women work there.
13. Who helps Carl get a job at the rare book room?
(b) The grocer.
(c) The dean.
(d) Carl does it himself.
14. What does Carl do when he runs out of money for food?
(a) Takes out an extra student loan.
(b) Pawns his watch.
(c) Asks his mother for money.
(d) Sells some furniture.
15. In Chapter 19, why does Carl paint the bleachers?
(a) To earn money.
(b) To impress the coach.
(c) To impress the principal.
(d) Because he owes the work to the principal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Carl about Annie calling the baby "hers"?
2. What happens to Carl when he misses a check at the factory in Chapter 19?
3. What does Annie's play writing professor announce during their last class?
4. In Chapter 19, where does Annie find a cigarette?
5. Why does Annie believe she is having a girl?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)