|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Carl when he misses a check at the factory in Chapter 19?
(a) He is cut back to part time.
(b) He is asked to leave.
(c) The manager warns him.
(d) His pay is docked.
2. Why does Carl take summer classes?
(a) To not forget anything.
(b) So he won't have to take so many in the fall.
(c) To make up for the class he failed.
(d) So he can take time off from school.
3. Why doesn't Annie take classes during the summer?
(a) She is bored with classes.
(b) She is afraid to be seen.
(c) She wants to rest.
(d) She doesn't have the money.
4. Why does Annie think Carl is so moody in Lopin?
(a) His class schedule.
(b) Her keeping the pregnancy a secret.
(c) His lack of male friends.
(d) His lost job.
5. Why does Aggie warn Annie against forming a friendship with Goldie?
(a) She disappears sometimes.
(b) She lives with her boyfriend.
(c) She lies.
(d) She steals.
6. What does Annie discover makes her baby move around a lot?
7. How does Annie feel when she watches Carl play with Les?
8. In Chapter 19, why does Carl paint the bleachers?
(a) To earn money.
(b) To impress the principal.
(c) Because he owes the work to the principal.
(d) To impress the coach.
9. How does Annie's mother respond when Annie asks for support during the pregnancy?
(a) She doesn't give any.
(b) She sends a check.
(c) She offers to move to Lodin.
(d) She sends Annie a train ticket.
10. Who is Jello?
(a) An old neighbor.
(b) A cat.
(c) A rumored ghost.
(d) A dog.
11. In Chapter 20, how does Carl say he feels about Mr. Byrd?
12. Why does Annie offer to babysit for Goldie?
(a) To help her friend.
(b) To prepare for the baby.
(c) To earn money.
(d) To get a break from arguing with Carl.
13. Who does Annie write a long letter to after Carlton is born?
(a) Carl's mother.
(b) Her mother.
(d) The local paper.
14. In Chapter 19, where does Annie find a cigarette?
(a) On the back porch.
(b) Under the kitchen table.
(c) In the driveway.
(d) Behind the bed.
15. What does Annie confess to Carl in Chapter 23?
(a) That she wants to write a novel.
(b) That she wanted a girl.
(c) That she wants another baby.
(d) That she was afraid during her labor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Byrd say he is doing when he meets with Annie in Chapter 20?
2. When Annie is in labor, how much time does Carl have to visit her?
3. In Chapter 19, why does Carl miss a check at the factory?
4. How many medical interns assist the doctor during Annie's labor?
5. How does Annie describe her summer in Chapter 16?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)