|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carl respond to Annie's fears about going to jail?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He says he's a trained lawyer.
(c) He reassures her she won't.
(d) He laughs at her.
2. Where does Mr. Byrd say the bittersweet berries are from?
(a) The west.
(b) The east.
(c) The north.
(d) The south.
3. How long is Carl employed in Lopin in Chapter 11?
(a) Until spring.
(b) One full year.
(c) Until fall.
(d) Until summer.
4. How does Annie describe "Crime and Punishment"?
(a) As the best detective novel.
(b) As the worst plot line ever.
(c) As the longest book she's read.
(d) As the most interesting translation.
5. What does Carl do with his Japanese friend after hearing from his mother?
(a) They go out to eat.
(b) They go to a tennis match.
(c) They go to the library.
(d) They go to a football game.
6. What part of Bev's house does Annie describe for Carl?
(a) The artwork.
(b) The floors.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The smell.
7. How long does Annie watch Carl work in Chapter 2?
(a) Fifteen minutes.
(b) Half an hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One hour.
8. How does Professor Newcall describe Annie when he first meets her?
(a) As a fool.
(b) As a monster.
(c) As a shy girl.
(d) As a ghost.
9. How does Annie respond when Carl says he is going to take time off of school?
(a) She says its up to him and no one else.
(b) She treatens to leave him.
(c) She agrees it's the best idea.
(d) She ingores it.
10. What assignment does Annie rush home to do in Chapter 7?
(a) Reading an entire novel.
(b) A 200 word paper.
(c) A 5 page journal entry.
(d) Translating a book.
11. While Carl studies after his first day of classes, what does Annie try to do?
(a) Write a book.
(b) Write a poem.
(c) Write a song.
(d) Write a play.
12. In Chapter 2, how does Mr. Felix insult Annie?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He makes a comment about her fertility.
(c) He mocks the way she talks.
(d) He teases her about her clothes.
13. What does Annie tell Mr. Byrd to do after he tells her the story about the berries?
(a) To tell her what happens next.
(b) To stop telling stories.
(c) To write his story.
(d) To give her a discount.
14. What does Annie watch the squirrel do outside the grocery store in Chapter 7?
(a) Climb a tree.
(c) Eat a bag of nuts.
(d) Run back and forth.
15. How does Annie describe working at the dime store?
(a) She likes meeting the customers.
(b) She gets bored.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She feels like a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Annie feel the first time she visits the library?
2. What does Annie buy when she gets her money from the bank with interest?
3. How does Annie feel compared to Carl's Japanese friend?
4. What does Carl do before leaving for classes for the first time since getting married?
5. What does Carl remember the dean telling him before he got married?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)